• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which headphone codec do you use?

• Windows Sonic

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Dolby

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • DTS:X

Votes: 9 16.7%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
As the thread title says, which headphone codec do you use? I'm curious if many people bother paying for the Dolby and DTS licenses or just stick to the free Sonic option?

Bran

Oct 25, 2017
Vastly prefer Dolby over the other two on PC, but it could just be the games I've compared them with.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I bought the Dolby for Headphone thing a while back. Don't know if I notice it though lol. Does the game have to support it?

What I would really want is the 3D Audio of my AirPods Pro. That would be fucking amazing

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I've just been using Windows Sonic since the difference seems little next to DA. But is it worth the price, and what is it?

Somewhat related but my Arctis 9X is not working that well on my Series X. Lot of flicker in audio and sometimes disconnects. I've done some research and it seems it's the new controller that's messing things up, I'll try again tonight using my Elite controller instead. Anyone else with the same issues?

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I went with Dolby, as I found DTS a little too loud. Windows Sonic was ok for a free product but pales in comparison with the other options.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't want to sound stupid lol, but these apps work in the background when I plug my headphones into the controller, correct? Do you change any settings in the Dolby for Headphones app?

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I use Windows Sonic because it's free, but I've been meaning to at least try the others out. Am I right in thinking there are trials of some kind..?

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Tried Atmos and DTS on the One X last week and vastly prefered Atmos with the Steelseries 9x.

I now have a Series X and will probably buy the Dolby Atmos app since the free trial ended.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah I saw this in settings when setting up my Series S and have no idea what they mean and I'm not sure what it even defaults to.