• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Xbox pick up some sales in Japan this generation?

• Yes

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,441 92.5%

• Total voters

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Right out of the gate Microsoft will release a console that on paper addresses the issues that doomed them in Japan. It's small, affordable and ,thanks to all of Phil's trips, is seeing Japanese publishers increasing support. There is also a way to play those games for a good price which is great considering games in Japan are nearing the $100 mark.

That said I can't think of a single Japanese-developed exclusive announced for the Xbox Series.

What do you think will become of the brand this generation? Pick up steam? Set a new low? Somewhere in between?

For the record the high for the company is Xbox 360 at 1.7 million and low is Xbox One at ~110k.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Doubt. Switch and PS5 have Japan on lock. Japanese developers are either flocking to Nintendo, Sony or both. MS have to make some heavy moves software-wise in order to make a splash. Also isn't Japan heavy on physical instead of digital? Don't quote me on that.

It will sell like hot cakes over here though (UK)

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I think they have a shot, but they need software, and that's the hardest part.

Yakuza at launch as a next-gen exclusive sounds more appealing to the japanese market than anything I can think of on the PS5 side though, but that's an older game at this point for that market.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
You are forgetting it throws in a new problem: the cheaper console is all digital. Japan's physical market is still supreme.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Microsoft could have an exclusive Dragon Quest game and it would still probably bomb in Japan.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will sell a little bit better than One but that's it

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I might buy one, so that would be one sale in Japan :P

But to be honest none of my international friends own an Xbox, most of them have a PS4...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This seems to suggest that the issue with Xbox not performing in Japan was one of affordability and accessibility?

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
It needs the right games for the market more than anything. The second late-port of DQ11 and timed exclusivity on the next-gen port of a Yakuza game that came out almost a year ago in that territory are not enough.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I like your enthusiasm but....

TdHD.gif

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll do better than the Xbox One, but XCloud is more likely to improve the overall Xbox brand there.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
"Xbox has a small, affordable console with a subscription service. Will Japan warm up to the brand finally?"

Maybe if Xbox all access was available in Japan.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
From what I remember, Japan doesn't even give a shit about Playstation anymore, it's all about switch and mobile. So probably not.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
There's word going around that Nintendo are so shaken at the reveal of the smaller Xbox, they're scrapped the upcoming Switch 4K and are contacting Xbox twiiter about if they would please consider having Nintendo first party games on Gamepass.

Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's interesting that the PS5 is so big. That was an absolute no-go in the past because of Japan. But even for the PS4, Japan isn't the market it used to be.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Someone get that gif of the Japanese kid saying "what's an Xbox?"

EDIT:

TdHD.gif

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, because obviously the size and lack of subscription was the problem

fucking lol

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox will do better than the brand has in the past, but not much better and it will be mostly due to the eventual launch of Xcloud more than the boxes themselves.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I feel like MS did everything they possibly can to catch the japanese players with the 360. They just don't give a shit no matter what happens.

Nov 15, 2018
No, because for some dumb reason Microsoft decided they will not show off Xbox Series S at TGS this year. Pretty hard to sell a console in a country when you won't bother marketing it there.