• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Assuming same price and season of launch, what will matter most?

• Either may win - first to market will have the biggest advantage

Votes: 34 2.3%
  • Either may win - most powerful system will have the biggest advantage

Votes: 40 2.8%
  • Either may win - the best exclusives library will yield the biggest advantage

Votes: 256 17.6%
  • PlayStation will carry over its success and be at an advantage

Votes: 1,012 69.7%
  • Xbox will carry over its evolving growth and be at an advantage

Votes: 81 5.6%
  • Other - write thoughts below

Votes: 28 1.9%

• Total voters

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation has a huge leg up on selling hardware and that's unlikely to change.

But the concept of winning or losing has changed a lot. Microsoft is making more and more money off of people who will never own xbox hardware. There's plenty of ways for these companies to thrive in different ways.

Also this.

There will be a good number of people who will never own an Xbox, but buy into Xbox's ecosystem via Game Pass, Xcloud, or Steam.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
My current strategy is to buy every Multiplatform game on X since they are better there, like Red Dead 2 and future titles like Cyberpunk 2077, while using Game Pass to catch some other titles and exclusives. Now my PS4 Pro is strictly for exclusives, which I consider can't-miss on PS4 - the library is stellar. But what happens next gen?

You're actually in the minority. Most people, especially the mainstream, does not care and will stick to Playstation. Sony will have to incredibly mess up for Xbox to even have a shot to overtake them.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not 2004 anymore, PS4's japanese exclusives are thin, FF7R is the most notable but we all know it's timed & will get an Xbox release.

In the console space you have the Yakuza franchise, Persona 5, Nier Automata for a year, Dragon Quest for awhile, and that's just from the top of my head.

There's plenty still not releasing on Xbox and I'm sure it'll continue next generation as well.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Playstation has one decisive advantage and that is global brand power. As long as Microsoft doesn't match they they will always lose.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Pricing seemed like it was the main factor in the Xbox 360's success, compared to anything else. That, and having the better version of games.
If price is similar, and PS5 has backwards compatibility, I don't anticipate many people switching.
I don't think the performance gap is likely to be large enough to matter, even if the Xbox is a faster system.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Xbox is going to have a much stronger start than people expect. Not only from stuff like Gamepass xCloud, but also from already showing their hand and getting people interested in their next console, and Microsoft finally taking PC gaming seriously means there will be more people on Xbox Live then ever.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think that at the same price and power, PS wins this handily, simply because the brand is far stronger internationally.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think being able to purchase and stream games on any device you own would give the nod to Xbox if we're thinking over the next ten years - but (big if!) if they can do it properly.

GTA VI, available on Game Pass and xCloud for £xx amount per month, without needing to even buy the console? That would be ridiculous.

Strictly speaking just consoles, Sony will easily sell more, but Xbox as a brand will be the more profitable. Who 'wins' in that scenario? You decide.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
In the console space you have the Yakuza franchise, Persona 5, Nier Automata for a year, Dragon Quest for awhile, and that's just from the top of my head.

There's plenty still not releasing on Xbox and I'm sure it'll continue next generation as well.
Well this debate gets complicated when you add in many PS4 games have PC ports but not Xbox versions, not true exclusives, but i would agree Phil Spencer needs to do better with getting games like Nier, DQ etc on Xbox day one with PS & PC.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With the machines likely to be very close in price and performance, and Sony having both BC (even if restricted to PS4) and subscription service choices, but also a nice VR catalogue as well as a slew of high level quality exclusives, plus really good worldwide support...
I think Sony will just carry its success over tbh.
MS will probably do better than XB1 (though with their games available also on Steam for good reason, the Xbox -devices- might suffer a bit), but it would be hard to do worse in their position imo.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean. Which console will have the God of War sequel along with a bevy of other follow ups and new IP.

it's an easy decision. I don't care about delivery technologies. Homie the games.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
It's a video game console. I buy them to play video games. Sony has the better exclusives, therefore my choice is an easy one.
Same here having access to 100s of games I will never play for $10 a month in a Netflix like service IS a great deal at face value but Games are not shows I can finish in 30 minutes and having access to all of those games with Game Pass isn't appealing to me. I only got so much time in the day to play a video game after all and heck I touched maybe about 5% - 10% of all of the free games I got through PlayStation Plus over the years so I will stick to my traditional console and pick up any noteworthy titles from Microsoft on PC (Mostly referring to Obsidian's games thou).

wowami

Jun 1, 2018
i always wonder how much of xbox360 total sold were due to RROD - for example i had 3 360's altogether so was the gen not as close as it appears from pure sold through.
Are there any accurate usage figures for global games - fifa? - that may show a more accurate figure of the gen?

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they can launch at the same price. One of them will lower it at the last second. The only generation that had the same price was PS2/Xbox, and they had a year difference in launch date.

I would buy PS5 over the Xbox console at launch just because of the exclusives alone. They have too many good exclusive games. Also knowing that a lot of the Gamepass games are going to PC as well, it's easier to get access to the games without having the console.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I would imagine Sony would win, I mean I would go Playstation over Xbox. Outside of Gamepass nothing else on Xbox is better in my eyes and I still haven't even played a game off my Gamepass yet so it clearly doesn't mean that much to me.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation is obviously at an advantage, but I do believe that Microsoft could gain a ton of ground if all of their studio acquisitions pay off and they start releasing some must-own exclusives. The first couple years of next-gen will be some very interesting times.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Well, despite the PS3 fuck ups and launching a year late, it was even with the 360. What do you think will happen ? Playstation brand is that strong worldwide.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an interesting question for sure. I think it's honestly the defining question of this next generational shift.

I think the services and devices Microsoft produces are the best in the console industry. I think they've done amazing things with their technology as the generation has gone on. Not just in terms of the console itself, but in peripherals and infrastructure too. Microsoft has created a platform that I would strongly prefer to play every single one of my video games on. It's an ecosystem that feels like it's growing and broadening and I like that a lot. That's a very strong foundation to launch in to a new generation with.

I owned a PS3 and now a PS4, namely because of the exclusive software. But I can't say that Sony has impressed me at all with its hardware or services since launch. My PlayStation 4 feels exactly the same as it did when I bought it at launch. The Pro upgrade, which I made, felt compulsory rather than exciting. I don't know. I think Xbox has done a better job at being exciting and indicating the direction their system is moving next gen. There is still time for Sony to do that, of course, but they haven't yet.

The change from last gen to current gen saw a lot of people leave Xbox for PlayStation. I think there are a lot of factors that contributed to this, but I think one of the biggest ones was that it was a clean break for both consoles. You couldn't take anything with you. Your games and your saves needed to stay behind. That fresh start meant you could only play what was coming moving forward. I think people felt better at the time of what PlayStation was promising back then. But these days, heading in to Gen 8, I kinda feel better about what Xbox is doing.

But this time there's not going to be a clean break. It sounds like it will be an iterative set of systems that will try to keep everybody cemented in their current ecosystems. I wonder if the allure of new technology will bring people back to Xbox or if people have gotten comfortable enough on PlayStation that it won't matter.

I think I will always have a PlayStation for the exclusives. But, for the first time, I might explore owning both consoles and making Xbox my lead machine. Time will tell.

Almost the opposite for me.

I like Game Pass somewhat but i hope Sony and Nintendo will never do such a thing. Maybe with older (5+ years) games but never with brand new games.

- Xbox One X is a fine console but for me there's more to a a console than 5fps more or some games running native 4k.
- The OS of the Xbox i just can't stand , it's a chore to use for me.
- The Controller is good but i prefer the DS4 by far.
- Trophies are worth more to me than Achievments

The X is woth less for me personally because i would want that power to make big exclusives better. I bought a PRo just so that i can play PS4 exclusives a bit better. MS Exclusives don't play that big of a role for me so far this gen so i don't need a X to make the one or two games i would play on it better.

Services and other stuff are exiting but i buy my consoles to play games i can't have anywhere else. That's what i use my switch and my PS4 for. Xbox exclusives are often lacking and i can play them even better on a pc.

I'll buy a Xbox Scarlet day 1 for the exclusives but outside of that i don't really know what should make me switch over. Maybe if the bc is way better on Scarlet.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We literally have over 20 years of evidence that shows that exclusive games are what drive console adoption. Why is this still a discussion?

Oct 25, 2017
It's tough to say early on so I'm hoping to wait a few years. We should have a clearer picture by whenever they release the xbox and ps5 pro or whatever.
Despite MS buying a bunch of studios, they still don't have much to show for it in terms of exclusives, but that can change by then.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Both will win tbh. MS basically cant lose with how theyve positioned themselves and I doubt Sony will pull a PS3 again. Plus maybe Xbox will compete with Sony exclusives again with all the studios theyve gobbled up.

Your Fave

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony will just ape Microsoft again and have their Game Pass variant (no, not PS Now) ready to launch in time for PS5 and everyone will carry on about how amazing this "new feature" is and they'll sell more consoles.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I only averaged one or two games per year on PS4. Most of my gaming is on Xbox and Nintendo. I will probably get the next Xbox and wait a few years for the PS5 library to build up before getting one. Or if Sony improves PS Now then I will simply stream the 1 tom2 games per year from there.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably do Xbox at launch due to the ecosystem of "PC at desk, console at the tv, XCloud on the go" and then pick up a PS5 when the first exclusive I have to have comes out.

Oct 25, 2017
We literally have over 20 years of evidence that shows that exclusive games are what drive console adoption. Why is this still a discussion?
It's a weird sentiment that propped up around 3 years ago that people cling on to.
Probably due to Wii U crashing out the gate and PS4 doing really well before any strong exclusives showed up.
But PS4 and its software's continued performance along with Switch show that sentiment was inaccurate

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I dont really care for Sony exclusives. I mainly play multi-plats and Nintendo exclusives, so next gen like every other gen, I'll go with the more powerful console and also own a Nintendo handheld. So whatever Sony or MS do, Nintendo will win.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Best exclusives will win, and Sony has amazing exclusives. And with BC, will be able to transfer a lot of users smoothly to the new console. I'm confident MS will have a great console. But let's not forget that selling consoles isn't their main priority. So Sony will sell most consoles, but that doesn't mean MS won't be very successful with its combination of services, exclusives available on PCs, their own consoles etc.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I intend to get both, but Xbox is higher priority for me since I have Game Pass Ultimate until 2022 and I like how it's backwards compatable for several generations.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
It's tough to say early on so I'm hoping to wait a few years. We should have a clearer picture by whenever they release the xbox and ps5 pro or whatever.
Despite MS buying a bunch of studios, they still don't have much to show for it in terms of exclusives, but that can change by then.
By when exactly? These studio purchases are great for Microsoft but you got to remember that some of these studios are still working on their own games and AAA games typically take more than 2 years to get made so out of the usual franchise entries for Microsoft I highly doubt we will see any of these new Studios bear fruit for Microsoft on the first year of Scarlet and maybe even on the 2nd year but only time will tell.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There isn't a "winner". I'm sure MS will continue growing their services and subs revenue and building upon their gamepass model whilst selling a reasonable number of consoles whilst Sony will sell more hardware and traditional games.

But there isn't a winner or a loser. Just two companies in gaming doing different things.

HavakPkmn

Feb 13, 2019
Manchester
The console war as we've known it for so long is dead.

If you're someone that really cares about this, then you need to just know that in terms of flat out number of consoles sold, the PlayStation 5 will 'win' that particular battle. That isn't what matters so much any more, however. Microsoft will be very content in shifting less consoles as long as they sell more subscriptions. It's the way the market is going and I think Microsoft will eventually be the market leader once they have more good exclusives.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but despite them being no.1 in gaming in most people's eyes at the moment (including mine), I think Sony would be the first to go out of business between themselves, Microsoft, and Nintendo if it ever came to it. It sounds odd, but I think it'd be the most likely thing to happen even though I think any of them going out of business in a gaming sense is out of the question for an incredibly long time.

I think Nintendo and Sony still do well because so many people are still accustomed to owning a cartridge or disc, or at least a digital copy of a game. I'm 30-years-old now and this will always be my preferred way to purchase media in terms of video games, but I have very much adapted to streaming any other form of media. Maybe I will just accept it one day for games too? I am convinced that the next generation of gamers will be ones who care much less about collecting physical games and that will be the niche market, much like vinyl for example. At the moment, I'd say most gamers in their late teens, and all of us in our 20's, 30's, 40's that still game are mostly set in our ways and want it to stay that way. But, it won't be the case for that much longer when we're outnumbered by more and more who just want to get the game quick, download, stream it etc. This is when I believe Sony and NIntendo will unfortunately struggle more as I can't see them always being able to one-up Microsoft and soon to be Google purely because of their exclusives, as the latter will have far better services and I'd almost guarantee they could afford to charge less.

Sad times ahead.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't see much changing next-gen. Sony will dominate again. Games are everything, and all XBOX has at the moment is the promise that they'll maybe have some first party franchises that can compete at some point...but that could still be a loooong time away. I really can't imagine The Initiative coming out with a grand slam on their first try for example. Studios usually need to get their feet wet first.

Seriously though, wouldn't PS4 owners need to switch to XBOX en-masse to really shift the tides? Why would that happen? PlayStation has just had a phenomenal generation, and I imagine most of the userbase is anticipating at least one of the sequels to God of War, Spider-Man and Horizon. A better ecosystem doesn't seem like enough, especially given PS5 will likely have backwards compatibility, making switching even less attractive.

Oct 25, 2017
By when exactly? These studio purchases are great for Microsoft but you got to remember that some of these studios are still working on their own games and AAA games typically take more than 2 years to get made so out of the usual franchise entries for Microsoft I highly doubt we will see any of these new Studios bear fruit for Microsoft on the first year of Scarlet and maybe even on the 2nd year but only time will tell.
I mentioned hoping to wait for whenever the mid cycle refresh launches which is usually around 3 years in. It's when PS4 hit its prime and when Xbox One was worth owning.
By then presumably most of these acquisitions will have something to show so i can make my mind up about which console is heading in the right direction

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I think people are underestimating the effect that the Nintendo Switch's continued success and longer lifetime could have. Normally Nintendo is fading or has a half measure around the launch. This time they have a platform that especially if they use revisions will still be strong when these launch and we've started to reach a graphics threshold. Every gen there's been a speed bump of what does this new stuff really bring and we're reaching a point where the changes are getting smaller and smaller. Time will tell but Nintendo having a fully running and heavy library system while these two still have the traditional slow first two years of game release could make things quite interesting

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Both will be successful, but Xbox still shows no signs of breaking big into Europe or Asia, whilest Sony are growing the PS brand in emerging markets like South East Asia and the Middle East. And already has a massive selling point exclusive to those on PS4, BC. So going with PS5 still comfortably outselling it WW.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned hoping to wait for whenever the mid cycle refresh launches which is usually around 3 years in. It's when PS4 hit its prime and when Xbox One was worth owning.
By then presumably most of these acquisitions will have something to show so i can make my mind up about which console is heading in the right direction
That's a good mid point actually and it would be the ripe time for these new studios to show their work on the "upgraded" Scarlet in the future.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
I've only ever owned an Xbox since 2006 and there's no scenario where I can see Microsoft selling more consoles than Sony next gen unless they make the fuck up of all fuck ups. They're just a bigger brand worldwide when it comes to gaming.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
I don't need to own an Xbox to enjoy Gamepass, to play with the Xbox userbase for free, or to enjoy all of Xbox Game Studios publishing output - all of these are available on PC and will be for perpetuity.

I have a gaming/development rig that I keep fairly updated. By the time Scarlett comes to market, my PC will likely be stronger than it. I have absolutely zero reason to get Xbox hardware ever again.

Sony will get my cash, both for hardware and from my PS+ sub.

donginator

Jun 4, 2019
I plan on buying both so I wish them both well. Never really understood people only attaching themselves to one platform unless costs are a concern.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I would've said that Xbox may have the advantage if it came out earlier(similar to 360), but looks like it going to come out around the same time frame as the PS5 so that's kinda irrelevant now. I think exclusives will matter the most here. Also power as well. But looks like from a power standpoint both are going to be pretty similar for any differences to be noticable. As long as Sony doesn't pull another PS3, I think Sony will reign(as much as I personally do want Xbox to come on top) but who knows?