• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Celeste is all d-pad based right? I could get away with using my Hori pad for it?

41f467VzKEL._AC_SX430_.jpg
You can definitely use D-pad, but I used analog sticks for the whole thing.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's not "8-bit graphics" - it's incredibly beautiful pixel art animation that literally wouldn't be possible on 8/16-bit consoles.

Call it what you want. It's low-cost, cheap looking indie graphics. I just watched some gameplay and more important to me than it's low-rent graphics is the fact it's simply not a type of game I like. Puzzles and platforming. Ugh. Horrible. Excuse me while I go shred some zombies in Black Ops 4, then do some gnarly jumps in Forza 4. I have little time for gaming. AAA and 4K or bust.

Everyone is different, I'm happy people are getting a GOTY canidate that many seem to enjoy. It's just not for me.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Call it what you want. It's low-cost, cheap looking indie graphics. I just watched some gameplay and more important to me than it's low-rent graphics is the fact it's simply not a type of game I like. Puzzles and platforming. Ugh. Horrible. Excuse me while I go shred some zombies in Black Ops 4, then do some gnarly jumps in Forza 4. I have little time for gaming. AAA and 4K or bust.

Everyone is different, I'm happy people are getting a GOTY canidate that many seem to enjoy. It's just not for me.
It's fine if you don't personally like it, but there is absolutely nothing "cheap" or "low-cost" about what Celeste is doing.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Huh, and I was thinking of grabbing Celeste on Steam sale. WRC2 also looks alright.

I like Farcry 2 but there is no chance I would ever play it without mods that deal with base respawns.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

I enjoyed my time with Celeste far more than any other game I've played this year, and that includes God of War, Spider-Man, RDR2, Monster Hunter World just to name a few of the dozens. It's your loss and I actually feel a little sorry for you.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I... haven't heard of Celeste. Guess I'm gonna go look it up now! WRC splitscreen I'll be able to play with the kid. Already have Lara Croft, and I'll get to try out Far Cry 2. Good month!

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
8-bit graphics AND puzzle-based platforming? Wow, the two things I hate most combined into one game. Won't even try it.
I don't get this attitude. You not only dismiss it out of hand but you won't even TRY a game that you've basically already paid for or are getting free - depending on which way you want to look at it.

I have Game Pass and thanks to it I've tried a ton of games I would have otherwise done the same thing and just dismissed as 'not for me/not my style of game' out of hand. You know what though, after actually giving them a chance, a lot of those games actually WERE games that were for me...I just didn't know it before. I'm not saying they're all gems I missed, but there were more hits than misses.

At least give the game a chance before shitting on it.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
excited for wrc 6 and willing to at least give celeste a chance despite knowing nothing about it

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I don't get this attitude. You not only dismiss it out of hand but you won't even TRY a game that you've basically already paid for or are getting free - depending on which way you want to look at it.

I have Game Pass and thanks to it I've tried a ton of games I would have otherwise done the same thing and just dismissed as 'not for me/not my style of game' out of hand. You know what though, after actually giving them a chance, a lot of those games actually WERE games that were for me...I just didn't know it before. I'm not saying they're all gems I missed, but there were more hits than misses.

At least give the game a chance before shitting on it.

I watched the videos of the game because of all the hype. It's just not a game style I like. Games that require constant retries to get a jump or button combination timed just right make me ill. Many people celebrate old-school arcade games and Celeste for figuring out clever ways to implement these puzzles. I do not. I very much enjoy the ease of play and graphics of new games. The Tomb Raider reboot, for instance, is just the perfect game to me. Lots of beautiful things to see and puzzles and jumping of perfect (easy) difficulty.

I will download Celeste, just like I do every GwG game, but I doubt I will ever boot it up.

Last edited:

SR7212

Avenger
Aug 17, 2018
A rumor circulating on Reddit is one of the games is Doom. It should be a great month because Microsoft will hope to convert Christmas shoppers into Gold subscribers.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
A rumor circulating on Reddit is one of the games is Doom. It should be a great month because Microsoft will hope to convert Christmas shoppers into Gold subscribers.
That's already on Game Pass so it'd be nice to have something different, but still a nice get for Gold-only subscribers.

The DOOM multi-player has seen a big resurgence on the Xbox version since it hit Game Pass too, which is great. Easy to find a game :D