• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody can complain when you're getting the 2018 GOTY (and I'm being deadly serious - it's absolutely my GOTY).

Actually I can.. I already own it :)

Celeste is a game of the gen candidate.

It would've been my game of the gen if it wasn't for Hellblade.

So in my opinion there's absolutely no need for a "and I'm being deadly serious" note. This game is an absolute gem and is one of the finest games ever crafted. Now if you're not into 2-d platformers and you're not into pixel art, I could see that person skipping over the game. But hey, some people aren't into hardcore Souls-like games or roguelikes (which is I will never ever play Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Demon Souls, Ashen, or Below, etc...) and apparently those are good games.

Really I'm just trying to say that Celeste is a heavy hitter that deserves its spot among the best of the best.

It has fantastic game play, incredible level design and lots of replay value with the extra B-side / C-side levels.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Celeste is a game of the gen candidate.

It would've been my game of the gen if it wasn't for Hellblade.

So in my opinion there's absolutely no need for a "and I'm being deadly serious" note. This game is an absolute gem and is one of the finest games ever crafted. Now if you're not into 2-d platformers and you're not into pixel art, I could see that person skipping over the game. But hey, some people aren't into hardcore Souls-like games or roguelikes (which is I will never ever play Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Demon Souls, Ashen, or Below, etc...) and apparently those are good games.

Really I'm just trying to say that Celeste is a heavy hitter that deserves its spot among the best of the best.

It has fantastic game play, incredible level design and lots of replay value with the extra B-side / C-side levels.
Well said :)

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lousy month once again. I know I said I wasn't happy to be getting OG Xbox games last month, but even that would be preferrable to a game I already got off this service years ago being re-listed... and not even a good game at that :/

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I've played Celeste so that's quite awful for me

But good for those who haven't played it. The budget for the month clearly went to one game.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Celeste? A GOTY contender? Very nice. No excuses now for Xbox players to NOT play and finish this game. It's great.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought Celeste a few months ago on Xbox (after buying and completing it on Switch months before that). No regrets, this game deserves all the money.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Participating in programs like PS+ and GwG generally lead to higher sales of the game outside of the subscriber base. These programs tend to supplement, not cannibalize, sales.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I have Celeste on Switch, but I'll replay it on Xbox for some a achievements. That's such a wonderful game. Definitely in my top ten of the year.

Oct 25, 2017
Great month that, sadly, further validates my decision to stop buying indie games since they always seem to come out to a subscription service.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that said, could you explain why exactly?

I'm more of a what's happening type analyst, more than why. But my hypotheses would include that participating games are engaged with more, people tell their friends & fam about the games, or those on friends lists would see the games being played, more general conversation takes place around the games (like this thread and social), the games get more promotional placement on storefronts due to participation, etc... participating in these programs tends to have a viral effect, at least for the games I've worked sales planning on or looked at since.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more of a what's happening type analyst, more than why. But my hypotheses would include that participating games are engaged with more, people tell their friends & fam about the games, or those on friends lists would see the games being played, more general conversation takes place around the games (like this thread and social), the games get more promotional placement on storefronts due to participation, etc... participating in these programs tends to have a viral effect, at least for the games I've worked sales planning on or looked at since.
Hmm, thanks for your input! I suppose that makes sense, I just figured all that hype would just lead to more Game Pass subscriptions, because why not just do that instead? Interesting to see, none the less.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, thanks for your input! I suppose that makes sense, I just figured all that hype would just lead to more Game Pass subscriptions, because why not just do that instead? Interesting to see, none the less.

I wonder the same thing... maybe eventually that will happen, and mass market is just a bit slower to adopt for now, or don't know of the programs? Really hard to say, mass market consumers sometimes just don't pay attention to these things too closely. And some people just don't like subscriptions I guess? Don't know for sure.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
FWIW - I just finished Celeste on Switch and had no problem playing with an analog stick (pro controller) instead of dpad.

So on Xbox it'll probably work equally well with the analog stick if you don't want to use a dpad.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question - is celeste hard? I heard the word "platformer" and saw a screen with spikes...so I'm a bit worried about my lack of skill. Is this the game with optional B and C sides and strawberries? I'm trying to avoid spoilers given how good everyone says it is (and seeing the dev team up on stage at the game awards).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've discovered quite a few great indie games on PS+ but they have abandoned those a while ago now with their shitty triple AAAAAAA offerings.
Hope to see Celeste there soon too though, seeing it pop up in GOTY lists made me curious again even though I really didn't like the artstyle in the footage I've seen and I'm not gonna buy it at this point looking at my backlog.
This month we got Iconoclasts and SOMA, though.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Genuine question - is celeste hard? I heard the word "platformer" and saw a screen with spikes...so I'm a bit worried about my lack of skill. Is this the game with optional B and C sides and strawberries? I'm trying to avoid spoilers given how good everyone says it is (and seeing the dev team up on stage at the game awards).
Kinda, it's not easy but not Super Meat Boy levels of hard.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard but you can activate cheats that make you invincible.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I played and finished Celeste on the Switch and thought it was merely ok, but I'm glad everyone else gets a chance to see it.

Really hyped for Far Cry 2, only have it on the PS3. I'm secretly hoping for a stealth 4K patch one day.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be salty about the repeat if Celeste weren't the most excited I've been about a GWG game in.... ever.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I bought Celeste the night of the Game Awards after they gave their acceptance speech. I just beat it two days ago. Despite it coming to GWG next month, I'm still glad I bought and played it. Definitely in my top 2 or 3 of the year so far. It is as close to a transcendent gaming experience as I've had since probably Journey. Totally different type of game, but the way it made me feel is pretty similar. I'd say its tied with Ori for being the best platformer this gen, but I think it's even more touching than Ori and will probably have more of a lasting impact.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I wonder the same thing... maybe eventually that will happen, and mass market is just a bit slower to adopt for now, or don't know of the programs? Really hard to say, mass market consumers sometimes just don't pay attention to these things too closely. And some people just don't like subscriptions I guess? Don't know for sure.

I have friends that tried GamePass but simply couldn't wrap their heads around it. They unsubscribed and went back to buying physical games, even though it cost them more and they can't use them on both consoles in their house at the same time, like you can with digtal.

These are otherwise intelligent people, but GamePass is beyond them.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Celeste is awesome. More people need to play that game.

I'll give the others a go but Far Cry 2 without the ability to save anywhere doesn't sound like my idea of fun lol

I actually played through it earlier this year, I didn't have a problem with it and I'm not great at FPSes.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I already know I won't like Celeste just looking at screen shots but will give it a download just because I feel like I have to due to hype.