• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game streaming service is the best value for the consumer?

• PSnow

• Gamepass

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, what does this even mean? Do you thing MS's games are free to make or something? I'd guess Halo Infinite has just as big of a budget as any Sony game and it's going to be on Game Pass day one...

What do you think it means?

GOW and S-M are super expensive single player focused games and both sold 3+ million at launch.

Horizon, a brand new IP, sold 10+ million.

Might as well ask Nintendo to release new Mario, Zelda etc. at launch for a $5 a month subscription service.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has a lot of catching up to do. They need to aggressive invest in PS Now. Launch their games Day 1 to compete and get aggressive on third party deals, expand on partnerships with OEMs, Carriers etc. If they don't, I see a sad fate for PS Now in the long term.

Xbox Game Pass simply has much more mindshare than PS Now.

they don't necessarily "have" to do anything until their existing business model stops working (they stop selling boatloads of software and hardware). People seem to have this really narrow view of the industry sometimes as if these companies have to be in direct 1:1 competition with everything they do (see the endless "Sony needs a Halo killer/MS needs their own Marvel games/MS bought a developer now who will Sony buy?" discussions). Netflix debuts their feature films streaming. That doesn't mean Disney is going to start doing the same with Disney Plus. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The way he puts it, even ignoring streaming, psnow is a better value. My initial reaction was no Fing way, and it seems era has backed that up, though I'm still not sure why gamepass is perceived as better, even just for downloads
Get the feeling sometimes it's just the way Phil Spencer communicates and the kinda perceived/kinda actual lack of a friendly face from Sony.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass, and it's not even close. I had PS Now for a year up until a month ago, and I barely used it. I don't find the back catalog that compelling, the PC app is terrible, and with PS4 releases not being recent, I generally have played a lot of them already. But I do think a lot of it has to do with MS not having as strong a first-party lineup and general market dominance, so they have to work at their subscription service more aggressively than Sony. Consumers end up benefiting as a result, which is great. MS/XB1 are like a completely different company/console than when this generation first started. Almost unrecognizably different from the infamous announcement/launch.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
quickly voted for gamepass after reading the title, then immediately clicked the back button on my browser.

there's no argument here.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
they don't necessarily "have" to do anything until their existing business model stops working (they stop selling boatloads of software and hardware). People seem to have this really narrow view of the industry sometimes as if these companies have to be in direct 1:1 competition with everything they do (see the endless "Sony needs a Halo killer/MS needs their own Marvel games/MS bought a developer now who will Sony buy?" discussions). Netflix debuts their feature films streaming. That doesn't mean Disney is going to start doing the same with Disney Plus. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Of course, they don't have to. It just means that in the long term, Microsoft will have more users in their ecosystem than Sony. Sony can continue with the traditional Console model. But that market isn't a growth market anymore. 250 Million is likely the ceiling for the Console user base. The added problem is if Subscription/Cloud gaming is well underway and Sony still isn't aggressive. By the time their existing business model stops working and they want to transition to Subscription Gaming, Xbox will have a big user base by then.

Reacting to a new business model by the time that business model has a solid footing is not have most businesses work.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The way he puts it, even ignoring streaming, psnow is a better value. My initial reaction was no Fing way, and it seems era has backed that up, though I'm still not sure why gamepass is perceived as better, even just for downloads
I can answer that, GamePass games aren't shut down and there isn't a fear that GP game will be shut down!! When Sony shuts down games like Drive Club, they will always be second rate next to XBL/GP!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

If you dont care for streaming, then it really comes down to your software preferences, buying habits, and the cost. I cant justify either service for myself based on those criteria tbh. Sony does have an advantage on price and not requiring PS+ to play Now games, but MS tends to get new third party games earlier.

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
Sony need to rebrand PSnow since people still think of it as a streaming service. They also need to expand to more places. Its still not in Australia.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While PS games are still having incredible success at retail I don't think they'll be adopting the day 1 service strategy. Or giving away free access (Introductory offers for £1 $1) any time soon.

But I can see them adding their big guns 18 months or so later like RDR2 on GP.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
If you dont care for streaming, then it really comes down to your software preferences, buying habits, and the cost. I cant justify either service for myself based on those criteria tbh. Sony does have an advantage on price and not requiring PS+ to play Now games, but MS tends to get new third party games earlier.

This has been said a few times. Sounds like it's closer than I assumed and the poll shows at least

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I have a ps4 and no Xbox but I'm subscribed to gamepass because of PC and am not subscribed to Now because I think it is a bad offering

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Oops. I actually only care about the download aspect

Sooo.. not exactly fair to begin with.

Game Pass is better as Sony isn't really gonna "beat" day one first party exclusives (unless obviously they do it too which why in the world would they seeing how much their first party sells already)

Game Pass is also twice as expensive yearly since PS Now has an annual deal, less than half the size of PS Now's library, and doesn't offer streaming.. but don't let the details bother you right?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They have no advantage as far as I'm concerned because I play on PC. This removes the need for Gold, gives me new titles I can play natively and not stream, and is cheaper. The only advantage I could possibly think of is a larger library on PSNow.

I have always been confused with Sony's handling of their own service and the titles they support it with. Some of their older 1st party have never even been on it yet.

Aug 9, 2018
It is better because every XBOX first party game, some 3rd party and indies, will be available day one on the service. If you don't care about XBOX's first party games then it loses some, if not most (Depending on how you value other games that might come to the service day one), of its value.

Gamepass also dominates the news because MS is pushing/promoting it more than Sony is promoting PS Now. Also, Gamepass is available in more countries.

Ultimately it depends on what your console preference is. If you have both then you might want to go with Gamepass since PS Now doesn't offer first party games day one and as you said you don't care for streaming.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo.. not exactly fair to begin with.

Game Pass is better as Sony isn't really gonna "beat" day one first party exclusives (unless obviously they do it too which why in the world would they seeing how much their first party sells already)

Game Pass is also twice as expensive yearly since PS Now has an annual deal, less than half the size of PS Now's library, and doesn't offer streaming.. but don't let the details bother you right?

You are right, but this is a totally self serving thread to solve an argument! Lol

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
You know, at first I was going to say it's not even a contest. Then I looked a little deeper and while Game Pass is still the better value I actually think PSNow is way more competitive than I would have thought. PSNow has more games and technically cost less. The difference to me is Game Pass is getting every first party game on day one, I don't know of any weird disconnect between being able to download some games while having to stream others like with PSNow, and practically I would imagine is cheaper than PSNow for many people.

All things considered even just being able to download every game on PSNow (which is an issue because of PS3 architecture) would make PSNow extremely competitive.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Honestly PS now is terrible service due to the following reasons:

1- I subscribed for 3 months and have basically played all the good games available on the service. Once I played The Evil Within, Hollow Knight, Control, Prey, Metro, DMC(didn't beat all of them), I basically felt like I saw everything the service has to offer, I also pushed my taste in games really hard and even tried the survival horror genre which I really enjoyed.

2- 90% of games there are really bad and not worth playing at all, it's quantity over quality like the aim was just to get to 900+ games number. There are like 10 Lego games, hundereds of mediocre games that no one know, even most first party games on ps 1, ps2, ps3 are missing which make it feel like Sony doesn't care enough about the service, also the game choice feels random.

3- Putting the 3rd entry or sequel in games without giving us part 1 and 2, I really hate this.

4- Most games are just like ads to get you to buy DLC or sequel, while this is acceptable on PS plus, it's shouldn't be like this at all on PS now.

5- Some streamable only games like F.E.A.R are almost unplayable, although many other games are ok.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Gamepass is so far ahead currently. PSNow is cheaper sure but it's not on the same level. Gamepass wins on content and platform availability. PSNow is getting better but they need to catch up to Gamepass to be a real competitor.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's not really a conversation currently, Microsoft puts everything they make day 1 on the service. If Sony did the same on PSNow IMO it would be the better value.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
In terms of overall title count, PSNow has the edge but at the same time I find they are different. GamePass feels like Netflix, while PSNow feels like a VOD service with a subscription. Xbox GamePass has the edge for a lot of people because they offer games day 1, where as PSNow doesn't.

PSNow offers 800+ titles, but most of which are PS3 that are streaming only. They also offer PS4 games that you can download, but I don't think a lot of it is super recent (I saw Control, Spiderman, and Just Cause 4 in there just to name the more recent few I noticed)

Xbox Gamepass offers 300+ titles you can download, most of which are Xbox One games. Biggest selling point is virtually every Xbox Exclusive will be on there day 1.

I'd say both are a good value, it just depends what YOU want. Do you prefer recent games? GamePass. Do you prefer the odd recent title, but a huge backlog from previous generations? PS Now.

For me? GamePass is the better value, purely because I own the vast majroity of the games I'd be interested in on PSNow and with GamePass I get the exclusives. So PSNow would basically be glorified backwards compatibility for me.

4- most games are just like ads to get you to buy DLC or sequel, while this is acceptable on PS plus, it's shouldn't be like this at all on PS now.

GamePass is like this too. I had to buy 3: ODST DLC for the Halo Master Chief Collection so I'd actually (at that point) have everything, I'm sure all the GamePass games I have downloaded don't come with DLCs.

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I dont see any value in any of them since I like to own everything I play. A sub model just doesn't work for me, since some games are only there for a limited time. On PS now some games are stream only which is not something I would like. I can see why many other see good value in them though, especially if you can get some type of promotional deal on them.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Is PSNow usable on PC without a DS4? I'd probably subscribe if I didn't had to buy another controller.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is PSNow usable on PC without a DS4? I'd probably subscribe if I didn't had to buy another controller.

Some games (mostly exclusives) require the touchpad and so either need a DS4 or need an unreliable workaround.

So like Spiderman right now the map, sklills, etc are all on the touchpad, and there are tutorials that force you to go into them, so you'd be stuck after the first chapter.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think both are good in their own way, but most will state GP because of MS practically giving it away, as well as putting their first party titles on there day one.

PS Now is getting more heavy hitters now, though I wish they had some of them on there longer than 3 months. The actual streaming side is pretty flawless if you have a decent internet connection.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
how is this console war nonsense allowed?

I'm not sure that simply asking which service is a better value as an open question, is automatically "console warring". Some of the replies certainly pole vaulted over that line though, which is pretty much par for the course, because it's extraordinarily easy to agitate the console warriors.