• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XGS vs. PS - Whose output and potential output excites you more?

• XBOX Game Studios

Votes: 897 32.1%
  • PlayStation Studios

Votes: 1,536 55.0%
  • They're about even for me

Votes: 304 10.9%
  • Neither excites me

Votes: 56 2.0%

• Total voters

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The Zenimax acquisition will significantly bolstered Xbox's lineup, and while I don't think they've officially said they'll be integrated into XGS yet let's just say they will be for the purposes of this thread.

So when you weigh the output and potential output of both Xbox Game Studios and PlayStation studios I ask you which one are you more excited for? Here's a list of studios for each side, please let me know if I happen to miss any.

Xbox Game Studios:

Coalition
Initiative
Turn10
World's Edge
Compulsion
Double Fine
InXile
Mojang
Ninja Theory
Obsidian Entertainment
Playground games
Rare
Undead Labs
MachineGames
id Software
Arkane Studios
Tango Gameworks
Bethesda
Zenimax Online
Roundhouse Studios
Alpha Dog Games

PlayStation Studios:

Naughty Dog
Santa Monica Studio
Bend Studio
Insomniac Games
Japan Studio
Guerrilla Games
London Studio
Media Molecule
Pixelopus
Polyphony Digital
San Diego Studio
Sucker Punch Productions
2nd San Diego Studios (yet to be announced)

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Battle of the titans, basically. Competition is always positive and drives improvements on both parts, i just hope we'll be satisfied as customers

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I find myself playing less and less games every year, i'm more interested in the type of games SONY studios produce and i believe in recent years they have a pretty impressive record, so, SONY for me

I edited this image since i had no idea what some of the new MS studios have worked on

MGS by Nobel Gomez, en Flickr

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly kinda neither at this point. Both of them are way, way, way, way, way too focused around western games.

But Microsoft has RPG studios and Sony doesn't, so that's a point in Microsoft's favor, I guess.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Sony it's a 'been there, done that' kinda feel and I suspect casuals will tire of it next gen too.

Micridoft simply has a better range and more interesting lineup.

DemoKev

Jun 3, 2020
Sony should try and get Bioware from EA and Larian Studios if they want Western rpgs because xbox got everybody else

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
it's still playstation

but if xbox game studios just makes fucking banjo threeie already that might change my mind

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
XBOX Game Studios without doubt
they have the best of western rpg , first person shooter and racer game
the diversity of XBOX Game Studios is more than PlayStation Studios now

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Even. To be fair all three including Nintendo are all in a good place and that is exciting.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about most of the games from the Xbox Studios, unfortunately. Sony wins big for me.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I mean... XGS has Elder Scrolls, so that trumps the entire game industry for me lol

But yeah, between Bethesda, Obsidian, Playground, and Rare, I'd have to go with XGS. Easy choice, even, tbh.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Fairly even for me, they both bring interesting things to the table which is why I'll get both consoles. Sick to death of the 'console wars' shit to be honest.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
PlayStation, Zenimax was a good get but its faaaaaaar from my taste in games. I would have been overjoyed if they nabbed SEGA instead, that would have given tons more variety

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I gotta imagine Sony's games will still take the cake in terms of quality for the next five years, but the variety and vastness of XBGS is exciting to me. I'm really curious to see what they churn out, even if some of it misses the mark.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the purchase of ZeniMax Microsoft got id, Arkane, Machine Games and Tango. These four alone have made games over the past few years that I prefer over anyone else on the list.

Let's just say that I am really glad that Microsoft still puts their games on PC.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The Zenimax acquisition will significantly bolstered Xbox's lineup, and while I don't think they've officially said they'll be integrated into XGS yet let's just say they will be for the purposes of this thread.

So when you weigh the output and potential output of both Xbox Game Studios and PlayStation studios I ask you which one are you more excited for? Here's a list of studios for each side, please let me know if I happen to miss any.

Xbox Game Studios:

Coalition
Initiative
Turn10
World's Edge
Compulsion
Double Fine
InXile
Mojang
Ninja Theory
Obsidian Entertainment
Playground games
Rare
Undead Labs
MachineGames
id Software
Arkane Studios
Tango Gameworks

Bethesda
Zenimax Online
Roundhouse Studios
Alpha Dog Games

PlayStation Studios:

Naughty Dog
Santa Monica Studio
Bend Studio
Insomniac Games
Japan Studio
Guerrilla Games

London Studio
Media Molecule
Pixelopus
Polyphony Digital
San Diego Studio
Sucker Punch Productions
2nd San Diego Studios (yet to be announced)

Even with the acquisition, I still prefer Sony's output. Majority of Microsoft's is Bethesda's stuff I like, and only gears prior.

I've highlighted the studios that have games I like.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
As a PS4 owner, Microsoft.

The only PS4 exclusive I really like are Bloodborne and God Of War. And the only PS5 exclusive I'm interested in are God Of War 2 and Demon's Soul Remake.

Microsoft on the other hand...WRPG galore. And most Bethesda/Zenimax studios, especially Arkane.

Last edited:

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the upcoming slate from Xbox interests me more than the sequels that are coming from Sony. Wish both would utilize their older IP (specifically Banjo + Warhawk).

Feb 23, 2019
Sony has top tier studios.

Microsoft in comparison has higher quantity now (or so it seems?), but the quality really isn't there for me.

Nintendo and Sony are just significantly better in terms of quality and it's not close. But Microsoft definitely has a good foundation now to grow into something much better. Time will tell.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For RPG fans, XBox is surely more tempting.

Sony = action games with RPG elements
XBox = actual RPGs

But Sony has a trump card which is the Japan Studio & Bluepoint remakes. Persona is probably going multiplatform next gen.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you asked me this yesterday: Sony without a doubt!
Now, can't say easily. Those PS studios are good and really love ND, Santa Monica and Insomniac, but at the other side: id Software and Bethesda... I mean Doom and The Elder Scrolls are big system sellers for me.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Of the games that have gotten shown so far? Sony.

Future potential based on acquired studios? MS simply because of a combo of pedigree and quantity. I dunno if I would say excited though. I don't really get excited about something until its been revealed.

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tiring of Sony's first-party output. Moderately excited for GoW 2 and even less so for Horizon.

Xbox now has Obsidian and BGS. That's gotta take the cake.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still Playstation. The Zenimax acquisition makes no difference to me because I played every Bethesda, Id, and Arkane game on PC and that won't change.

Oct 25, 2017
For me, Sony's games still interest me the most, but the acquisition today MS got way closer, I like a good amount of Zenimax games that it has definitely makes me way more interested than before.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's honestly hard for me to imagine picking Microsoft over Sony in this specific case. Sony has proven themselves over the past gen. Microsoft has not.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right now PlayStation, since it's their variety I've stuck with for years.

For the first time in 20 years I'm actually a little excited for that Microsoft might be planning. But then again, look what happened to purchases like Rare. I need to know this new Microsoft team will let these devs find new levels of creativity and production levels they wouldn't have otherwise, as opposed to being in rotation chained to a mill for decades.

It would be awesome if all these devs got the Guerilla Games' Killzone>Horizon Zero Dawn transformation where they got to do whatever they were inspired to make.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Xbox of course. Playstation is a known quantity for me, and I usually have no interest for those games.
Microsoft made both big and smart acquisitions, I'm really curious to see what's going to happen.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm anticipating Sony first party studio output more than anything this gen with stuff from Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Japan Studio and Bend.

But that's not to say I'm not absolutely stoked for Xbox too. I adore The Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Gears, Halo and anything Arkane makes. Throw in Fable and Avowed...we've got a mighty fine stew going.

I'm picking up a PS5 and Series X anyway so I'm good either way.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
XGS. Only care about 4 on Sony's side. Buying both consoles to cover all my bases though. I can't believe we get games from all of those XGS studios on Game Pass....

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Xbox and I really dont think it's close anymore.

Will eventually have both consoles like the last 2 gens.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I would never deny the quality of Sony's top tier output, but personally they just don't tickle my game bone. I've never looked at a Sony exclusive and thought "that's it, my game bone is tickled, I need to get into that ecosystem"