• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

payotbn

Feb 1, 2019
Pasquale Scionti, Jaime Molina, Maxwell Morrison, Stephen Clayburn, Giovanni Martinez, Lee Davis, Victor Chavez, Hawar Doghramachi, Nigel Loster, Lauren Manuel Garcia Carro, Jolyon Myers, Sarah Swenson,

Welcome to the studio and the ever growing talented team at The Initiative!
https://www.theinitiative.com/

www.linkedin.com

Darrell Gallagher on LinkedIn: THE INITIATIVE

Pasquale Scionti, Jaime M., Maxwell Morrison, Stephen Clayburn, Giovanni Martinez, Lee Davis, Victor Chavez, Hawar Doghramachi, Nigel Loster, Lauren Manuel…

Last edited:

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Fair enough, but my experience with the game was positive. I played the game with my three kids (9yrs, 7yrs 4yrs) and had a blast the whole time.
I enjoyed it the whole way through. I played the game with myself (indeterminate age) and really enjoyed the later parts, possibly even more than the earlier parts. I also thought the narrative, while simple, was engaging the entire time. And I found it pretty dang funny too. This may be because I am a child. But also, I am not a child. Sometimes, I wish I were still a child and it were socially acceptable to be irresponsible.
I definitely understand where you're both coming from. I actually thought the presentation of the game was great. My personal frustration stems from the fact that I actually really enjoyed the combat and the Turbo Tunnel sections, but felt we really didn't get enough of them in the second half. That being said, I am really not the target audience for that game (being 29 years old) and can totally see how kids would love it.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Really hope The Initiative delivers on their game. Feel like they are gonna be under a shit ton of pressure. Wishing them the best

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
https://www.linkedin.com/in/stephen-clayburn-8679b05b/ Principal lead online engineer at Blizzard join The initiative

https://www.linkedin.com/in/hawar-doghramachi-8438a2107/ Graphics programmer at Eidos/Naughty Dog join The initiative

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jolyon-myers-8536732/ Expert designer at Infinity Ward join the initiative

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarah-c-swenson/ Environment artist at Santa Monica/Naughty Dog join the initiative

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nigelloster/ Gameplay designer at The coalition join the initiative

https://www.linkedin.com/in/torvez/ Animator at bungie/343i/Crystal/Sledgehammer join The initiative

https://www.linkedin.com/in/giovanni-martinez-12370344/ Environment artist at Insomniac join The initiative

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
Pasquale Scionti, Jaime Molina, Maxwell Morrison, Stephen Clayburn, Giovanni Martinez, Lee Davis, Victor Chavez, Hawar Doghramachi, Nigel Loster, Lauren Manuel Garcia Carro, Jolyon Myers, Sarah Swenson,

https://www.theinitiative.com/

www.linkedin.com

Darrell Gallagher on LinkedIn: THE INITIATIVE

Pasquale Scionti, Jaime M., Maxwell Morrison, Stephen Clayburn, Giovanni Martinez, Lee Davis, Victor Chavez, Hawar Doghramachi, Nigel Loster, Lauren Manuel…
Wow!!! Exciting stuff. The mystery of this studio is so alluring!

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Yeah, that would be a lot of AC. I was the big AC fan along with one other person in my friends group, but by the time 3 had come out, I was like you were with Syndicate and only played a little of 3 and just didn't care anymore, I was so done. My friends were so excited about Black Flag and talking my ear off about it then next gen, current now came around and I thought I'll try Black Flag, but I just didn't like it at all. So I was done with them the same as you skipped the next few. Then the trailer for Origins dropped and I was instantly sold lol. Which was a good thing because I loved that game. I do wish we got more of Aya too. I was so happy to have her in my crew in Odyssey!

The only AC game I've ever actually skipped is Revelations, I just couldn't take another Ezio game at that point. I did watch all the cutscenes on Youtube, however.

I've had a couple of spells of catching up on the series - the one I mentioned in the run-up to Syndicate, and then the one I'm currently on, starting late last year to catch up on Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey. This time, I think I've paced it a lot better, but also, I've just really enjoyed the two ACOs a lot more. I've always really liked the series, but I much prefer the way it's structured now. Mainly because they're basically RPGs, and that's my genre.

Remember all the times I've said Game Pass makes less sense if it's all live service games and it needs single player games to drive subscriptions? How I've said having big single player RPGs and narrative games would keep subscribers engaged more?

Well, Phil agrees with me.

I mean, it's common sense :D It's never made any sense when people try to paint it as some GAAS hellscape.

Yes Phil, sign as many games with DONTNOD as they can give to you. Thank you in advance.

This would be great. More DONTNOD is always a good thing.

What... I think the problem here is that you play ALL OF THE GAMES you've missed before you can play the next one in a series of games that aren't even directly connected story-wise XD. That's crazy. That's "How To Burn Out" 101 haha. I credit my reluctance to pay money for big games until they're dirt cheap from preventing me from buying a bunch of big Ubi games haha. (Though.. then I just buy a bunch of random "cheap" indies..)

Well... you're not wrong. The AC games do have an overarching plot though (as thin as it is these days), and well, I've made it this far, so I'd like to keep up to date (ish) with it. But there's also the fact that I generally prefer to play games in release order so that I can see how they change from one to the next. Some of my enjoyment in Odyssey at the moment is seeing how things have evolved since Origins. Obviously it helps that I'm really enjoying the game, too :D

I've also become more relaxed about what I play over the last few years. I don't really get FOMO, and there's only a small handful of games that I absolutely have to be there for on day one. Anything else I can just pick up when I feel like it (hence why I'm in no massive rush to force myself through Odyssey before Valhalla comes out. I'll get to that when I get to it).

Is that the actual box? It's so teeny!

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I definitely understand where you're both coming from. I actually thought the presentation of the game was great. My personal frustration stems from the fact that I actually really enjoyed the combat and the Turbo Tunnel sections, but felt we really didn't get enough of them in the second half. That being said, I am really not the target audience for that game (being 29 years old) and can totally see how kids would love it.
Haha I'm in that age range, too. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY, HUH?! No. I get you. Yea, they definitely moved away from the combat at the end. But I guess I didn't mind personally. It also definitely helped that I put it on easy right from the jump, so I kept my frustration to a minimum. It made some of the challenges less engaging, but well worth it overall I think.

Well... you're not wrong. The AC games do have an overarching plot though (as thin as it is these days), and well, I've made it this far, so I'd like to keep up to date (ish) with it. But there's also the fact that I generally prefer to play games in release order so that I can see how they change from one to the next. Some of my enjoyment in Odyssey at the moment is seeing how things have evolved since Origins. Obviously it helps that I'm really enjoying the game, too :D

I've also become more relaxed about what I play over the last few years. I don't really get FOMO, and there's only a small handful of games that I absolutely have to be there for on day one. Anything else I can just pick up when I feel like it (hence why I'm in no massive rush to force myself through Odyssey before Valhalla comes out. I'll get to that when I get to it).

Is that the actual box? It's so teeny!
Fair enough! I've left my Origins playthrough at like 25% (mostly because I can't do the main quest until I do all the checkmarks.. and that's also burnout 101 haha.

Also, yes! That box looks so small when he's holding it up hahaha.

I mean, it's common sense :D It's never made any sense when people try to paint it as some GAAS hellscape.
New Doom is a Destiny clone confirmed.

I'm lined up outside of my local EB games. Send me luck....
What number are you in line?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Mother of Xbox

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
That retail box for the Series X is so small! Definitely efficient packaging there.

I keep trying to convince myself that I only need a Series S, but storage is a big downer for me. Unless we find out that games like MCC are only 50-60Gb on Series S due to lower quality textures, it just seems worth it to spend the extra money on a Series X for me.

It's either $300 plus the $220 Seagate expansion for 1.5Tb, or $500 for a 1Tb Series X with a dramatically better GPU.

Oct 12, 2020
What number are you in line?

I was second in line. Needless to say...the following is a decent approximation of my leaving the store, pre-order receipt in hand.

giphy.gif

tumblr_mba0gv92ad1qi1r4o.gif

Can't wait to hang out here on release day with everyone....to do so without a console in hand would have been full of painful envy.

Gotta admit, I'm pretty impressed with how EB games has their shit together. It had been years since I had physically been in a store...wasn't even sure they would still have me in their system.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I was second in line. Needless to say...the following is a decent approximation of my leaving the store, pre-order receipt in hand.

giphy.gif

tumblr_mba0gv92ad1qi1r4o.gif

Can't wait to hang out here on release day with everyone....to do so without a console in hand would have been full of painful envy.

Gotta admit, I'm pretty impressed with how EB games has their shit together. It had been years since I had physically been in a store...wasn't even sure they would still have me in their system.

congrats!

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
it's interesting that Phil Spenser has actually played this imitative game already. Must be progressing well so hopefully we'll see it soon !

Nov 2, 2017
I think I'm gonna stop trying to actively look for pre orders or deals for this and a TV. Between that and other things stressing me out, I've been trying to stop letting stress get to me as bad lately than before.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The only AC game I've ever actually skipped is Revelations, I just couldn't take another Ezio game at that point. I did watch all the cutscenes on Youtube, however.

I've had a couple of spells of catching up on the series - the one I mentioned in the run-up to Syndicate, and then the one I'm currently on, starting late last year to catch up on Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey. This time, I think I've paced it a lot better, but also, I've just really enjoyed the two ACOs a lot more. I've always really liked the series, but I much prefer the way it's structured now. Mainly because they're basically RPGs, and that's my genre.
They for sure need to be paced. I played 1 through to Revelations on each launch so that was good spacing for me, but by the time Revelations came round I was really starting to feel the burnout.

I agree, the rpg elements have truly freshened the series up. I always enjoy an rpg and these last two have been fantastic with my only major gripe that the hidden blade not being a OHK, but I get why they had the system that they did. Very excited for Valhalla and can see myself spending a lot of time with it because I quit Odyssey when I did.

Aug 23, 2018
Question about load times on Series X for BC titles. I likely missed this in one of Grubb's videos, but do the titles need to be installed on the internal SSD in order to take advantage of the greatly reduced load times on XB1 games? Or can I simply plug in my external HDD and still benefit from them? What about quick resume?

Jun 22, 2018
Question about load times on Series X for BC titles. I likely missed this in one of Grubb's videos, but do the titles need to be installed on the internal SSD in order to take advantage of the greatly reduced load times on XB1 games? Or can I simply plug in my external HDD and still benefit from them? What about quick resume?
To take FULL advantage of the faster loading times it needs to be on the internal SSD.

Loading from an external HDD should still be a bit faster than on the X1/S/X, but not to the same degree.

Quick resume should work equally for games stored on any storage device.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You will get some benefits but it's better to have them on internal or external SSD.

Aug 23, 2018
To take FULL advantage of the faster loading times it needs to be on the internal SSD.

Loading from an external HDD should still be a bit faster than on the X1/S/X, but not to the same degree.

Quick resume should work equally for games stored on any storage device.
You will get some benefits but it's better to have them on internal or external SSD.

Thanks, figured that was likely the case

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I hope The Initiative game is not an episodic one. I would prefer a full 20 hours experience, even if it takes a few years more to develop. Such talented people can create something really really big.

Status
Not open for further replies.