• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Apparently most TVs are fake 120 Hz. Only really new ones have a chance of actual 120Hz is what I've been told. Researching all this is a mess.

It is absolutely a mess. I just went through this and as best I can tell there are only a few 2020 TVs below $1000 that can legitimately do 120 Hz at 4k

Samsung Q70T (and higher models like Q80T of course)
Sony X900H
LG NanoCell 90 series
TCL 6 Series

Probably some others too.

One of the most annoying things is that many of these sets have different specs at different sizes, so you might only get 120 Hz on the 55"+ models, for example.

Then there are a lot more that will do 120 Hz but not at 4K, might be a good fit for a Series S buyer.

That's also great. Thanks for the help. Just trying to find a good 4k tv for next gen

Yeah it's tough, especially at smaller sizes, to get all of the "next gen" features at a reasonable price. Good luck shopping!

If you don't have a 4k output tv/monitor does the Series X downscale?
I've asked that before and apparently it can.

Yep it downscales, I used my X1X with a 1080p TV until just a few weeks ago and it was quite obvious how nicely antialiased the output was.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They're still selling the $20 VIP Pass (I assume that's the price. It's DKK149 here) for Forza Horizon 4 that among other things give you extra wheelspins and double money earned from races, just like a typical mobile game coin doubler.
That's correct. I see that one more as a DLC, but you are absolutely free to see this as MTX and I understand your reasoning.
should have just said it's one of those plastic shell ones XD
Yep, but he probably was caught of guard and didn't think about this. He didn't even think about the paper Xbox Series S his streaming partner said.
Unless I'm vastly misremembered, they didn't even remove them... they were just never there. What's there in FM7 is the same system that was there at launch, no? Mods/cards that are solely earned through in-game play/in-game currency and no mtx?

I think there was talk that you might eventually be able to buy the cards and they just didn't ever do that but I don't think it had mtx and removed them. I think they were never there.
I knew mods were always free (as in you didn't and couldn't pay real money), but I didn't knew there were never MTX. I didn't purchase the game right at launch. My bad, but further proofs my point that they are not going with MTX in FM based on the last entry. I don't think racing games fit the model anyway. You can't sell Avengers or hero designs and everything you could sell is super annoying for the players. Just look at mobile racing games.
Did anyone post this? Phil Spencer for Fan Fest Trivia

He seems to be such a nice guy. Just like Yoshi from FF14 I really want to meet him next year at Gamescom, If the world finally beat the Covid pandemics.
Apparently he kind of teased the return of 1 vs. 100, but idk it's open for interpretation I think
You could submit questions and I basically asked to do a Xbox trivia game. I don't think he made his comment based on that, but I just want to say I am so into a Xbox trivia XBL game similar to 1 vs 100, because the quiz was so damn good.
Pls bring back 1v100
Not happening due to licensing iirc.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Playing Slay the Spire with touch controls through Xcloud and picking up where my console progress was is some futuristic feeling shit lmao.

I hope Darkest Dungeon gets added to Gamepass, that game is another perfect candidate for touch controls.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
If Xbox buys sega, I'd love to see an arcade racer in the same vein as scud racer. Racing the 458 under an ocean or through a temple but everything needs to keep the style of scud racer.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If Xbox buys sega, I'd love to see an arcade racer in the same vein as scud racer. Racing the 458 under an ocean or through a temple but everything needs to keep the style of scud racer.
Different company, but I've always wanted a new game in the style of San Francisco: Rush/2049 I loved those games growing up. I miss those old arcade racing games.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Have we had any update on Series X Cyberpunk? Expecting 4k30?
I'm also dying to find a definitive answer to this.
As an Xbox One X Enhanced game, I would expect it to be Native 4K/60 on Series X if just CDPR will keep a Dynamic Resolution at Unlocked Framerate.

Don't know if they will add further visual presets upgrade for Series X at launch tho.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm also dying to find a definitive answer to this.
As an Xbox One X Enhanced game, I would expect it to be Native 4K/60 on Series X if just CDPR will keep a Dynamic Resolution at Unlocked Framerate.

Don't know if they will add further visual presets upgrade for Series X at launch tho.
I think they said a true next-gen upgrade is still in the works for sometimes next year. I just want to know what it will be like on launch. Like you said, if they have some preset options, there is no reason it could not have a 60fps option for some mode.

Rules on Metacommentary and Console Wars

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Official Staff Communication
There's been a clear uptick in metacommentary as next-gen launch approaches, as well as increased instances of platform wars and hostility between segments of our larger gaming community. Moderators from the PlayStation Studios OT and Xbox Game Studios OT will be working together to address this. We are emphasizing the following which will apply to everyone:

1) Metacommentary refers to sniping at other communities and complaining about other posters or discussions happening in other threads. Don't do this. It makes the forum more miserable for everybody. We will start banning for this if we have to.

2) If you feel a post has been made in bad faith, is trying to stir up console wars, or otherwise violates the site rules, please report it and do not engage further. If a post is never reported then staff may never see it. Taking the bait gives a troll what they want and can get you in trouble yourself. Plus, not all posts you dislike will necessarily be trolling; if you think they are just report it and let staff sort it out.

3) To curb the console wars and general hostility, we will be taking stricter action against posters who ignore staff communications, who are consistently hostile, or who have long records of related infractions. It's going to be easier to catch a severe ban for this stuff.

4) We'd like to remind everyone that off-site drama must remain off-site. We can't control what happens elsewhere but if it causes problems here it's going to be dealt with. This includes using other platforms to organize brigades, or otherwise instigate hostilities and console war related nonsense.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Nobody panic! I'm just reposting that so it's actually in this thread (as I'm apparently a bad mod and forgot to post it in this one)

Deleted member 78123

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 16, 2020
There's been a clear uptick in metacommentary as next-gen launch approaches, as well as increased instances of platform wars and hostility between segments of our larger gaming community. Moderators from the PlayStation Studios OT and Xbox Game Studios OT will be working together to address this. We are emphasizing the following which will apply to everyone:

1) Metacommentary refers to sniping at other communities and complaining about other posters or discussions happening in other threads. Don't do this. It makes the forum more miserable for everybody. We will start banning for this if we have to.

2) If you feel a post has been made in bad faith, is trying to stir up console wars, or otherwise violates the site rules, please report it and do not engage further. If a post is never reported then staff may never see it. Taking the bait gives a troll what they want and can get you in trouble yourself. Plus, not all posts you dislike will necessarily be trolling; if you think they are just report it and let staff sort it out.

3) To curb the console wars and general hostility, we will be taking stricter action against posters who ignore staff communications, who are consistently hostile, or who have long records of related infractions. It's going to be easier to catch a severe ban for this stuff.

4) We'd like to remind everyone that off-site drama must remain off-site. We can't control what happens elsewhere but if it causes problems here it's going to be dealt with. This includes using other platforms to organize brigades, or otherwise instigate hostilities and console war related nonsense.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What's Stop It said now??

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It is absolutely a mess. I just went through this and as best I can tell there are only a few 2020 TVs below $1000 that can legitimately do 120 Hz at 4k

Samsung Q70T (and higher models like Q80T of course)
Sony X900H
LG NanoCell 90 series
TCL 6 Series

Probably some others too.

One of the most annoying things is that many of these sets have different specs at different sizes, so you might only get 120 Hz on the 55"+ models, for example.

Then there are a lot more that will do 120 Hz but not at 4K, might be a good fit for a Series S buyer.

My TV is on its last legs and I'm looking for a good 4K HDR TV, so I would love if you have any tips and suggestions for me.

I'm not searching for 120hz, 60fps are good enough for me, my focus is on HDR and image quality.

Well, Tango are working on something else atm but that is bound to be done soon and they will move on. If they do EW3, I am sure it will be Xbox and PC.

Hmm, is the full force of the studio behind Ghostwire? I know that the director of The Evil Within 2 isn't working on Ghostwire, maybe he's working on TEW 3 pre production?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hmm, is the full force of the studio behind Ghostwire? I know that the director of The Evil Within 2 isn't working on Ghostwire, maybe he's working on TEW 3 pre production?

Not 100% how big the studio is tbh. It makes sense that they have moved on to another project as the previous one wraps up. I am sure MS will be looking at what they have planned.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Shinji Mikami said The Evil Within would be the last game he directed. He'll certainly still consult on other projects, especially any Evil Within sequels, but mostly his roll is managing the studio and supervising the leads these days. He said he was taking a step back because he wanted to let new talent do their thing.

This could obviously change, but I don't expect him to working on any surprise titles right now, and I suspect if Evil Within 3 ever becomes a reality it'll be lead by John Johanas.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Just realized Xbox had 5 studios at the start of 2018, they have 23 now. Quite the upgrade now that I think about it

That's 360% growth, quite impressive. By my calculations, this means they'll have 105.8 studios by the mid gen refresh in 3 years, and approximately 487 studios at the end of the gen.

Seems like we're in for a feast!

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Nobody panic! I'm just reposting that so it's actually in this thread (as I'm apparently a bad mod and forgot to post it in this one)
Ahhhh save yourselves!! It's the Crackdown (4)!!

I need an adult T_T
nice.

wccftech.com

Gaijin Games to Run at 4K/1440P@60 on Xbox Series X/S with RT & VRS; DirectML Support Being Explored

Gaijin Entertainment confirmed that War Thunder, Enlisted and Cuisine Royale will run at 4K@60 on Xbox Series X with ray tracing and VRS.
nice.

There was a lot of skepticism that the Series S would hit 1440p even for the cross gen period. Good to see that the majority of optimized games in this launch period seem to at least be giving options to hit that resolution.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
My TV is on its last legs and I'm looking for a good 4K HDR TV, so I would love if you have any tips and suggestions for me.

I'm not searching for 120hz, 60fps are good enough for me, my focus is on HDR and image quality.

Hmm, well I was looking for 120 Hz so I probably overlooked a bunch that would be ok for you. In general:
- rtings.com is a great resource
- if OLED is in your budget, decide if you are willing to consider it. Personally I've had enough experience with OLED burn in (not on a TV) not to trust them, so I decided I was fine with LED to avoid stressing about it. But they definitely offer the best picture/HDR quality, and it sounds like that's most important to you.
- Features can differ on the same model between sizes, which is obnoxious.
- General consensus seemed to be that, at comparable price points, Sony has better HDR/picture than Samsung.
- There's a big tv thread in this forum but I didn't find it that helpful, personally. Mostly recommendations for the LG CX which is a fantastic TV but not everyone has $2000 to spend or wants OLED.

If you have budget, size, and OLED preference decided up front that will help a lot to narrow it down.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México

Hisense H9G ;)

www.rtings.com

Hisense H9G Review (55H9G, 65H9G)

The Hisense H9G is a flagship 4k LED TV that offers impressive performance. It provides good value for its price and competes with many other high-end, more expe...

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Jez addresses Microsoft and Ninja Theory going completely radio silent about Bleeding Edge.

www.windowscentral.com

Has Xbox and Ninja Theory's 'Bleeding Edge' been abandoned? (Updated)

Radio silence for several months doesn't bode well for Ninja Theory's 4v4 brawler.

Damn, I was actually just thinking about this game. Sad to see it pretty much abandoned.

But also the selfish part of me wants that team (particularly Rahni Tucker) to make another flashy single-player action game so eh

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jez addresses Microsoft and Ninja Theory going completely radio silent about Bleeding Edge.

www.windowscentral.com

Radio silence for several months doesn't bode well for Ninja Theory's 4v4 brawler.

The game was decent. Had some strong art design and solid gameplay, but lacked content, proper progression, and was lacking in level design imo.

With that said - Rahni Tucker seems so talented. I hope her next project is a SP or even co-op action adventure game. Hopefully she stays at NT.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

www.windowscentral.com

Ugh makes me sad. Game was a ton of fun and no, Overwatch isn't the same. I just played last night and didn't have a long wait for a match so apparently they still have people playing 🤷

Edit: worst part is it's an obvious candidate for a 120 FPS patch, damn that woulda been nice.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

www.windowscentral.com

The Bleeding Edge team is actually working with Microsoft Research on AI innovations. If any things come from that, I'd expect it to be implemented into Bleeding Edge. In other words, the game isn't dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.