• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
343 has talked about crossplay for the new flight... does somebody know if it's for Halo 4 only?

Yes, because the Flight itself is Halo 4 only. Crossplay and input based matchmaking will roll out across the board, though.

This is likely going to happen on November 17th, because that's when the Series S|X enhancements are also releasing.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, we know this is a problem - we are actually phasing out P2P voice connections for party chat completely which we've been working on quite a bit in the background to stop this very problem. We've been ramping up a larger percentage of parties to be completely server based week over week (so you don't make direct connections to other party members so they can not see your IP) and soon should have no more P2P based parties.

I've seen some concerns here as well related to parties and the mobile app - it's always been the case if you've used the mobile app to join a party the party becomes server based and your phone's IP is never exposed to others.

Thanks for your patience as we've been working to address this!

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
+1
I want to replay the franchise soon before starting playing Gears 5 on Series X. Any advice where Gears Tactics falls?
  1. Gears Judgement (haven't played it yet. But it's a prequel iirc)
  2. Gears 1
  3. Gears 2
  4. Gears 3
  5. Gears 4
  6. Gears 5
  7. (Tactics????)
Or tactics before Gears 5?

Having played them all prior to 5, judgement is better played after 3, in release order. There are a few callbacks to the serie and if I'm not mistaken there's a campaign segment connected directly to Gears 3.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
I think a lot of people want Double Fine to try Conker or Banjo. Particularly Conker with their history of comedy stuff.
Ah ok! They would be a great fit for either of those games but I understand them wanting to focus on pychonauts 2. Though I do remember Tim Schafer saying in a video that after this game he wanted to do an original IP and not a sequel.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Well there's Banjo confirmed. Great :D

Though, watching Jeff Grub play just the intro of Costume Quest 2 (one of the first games I ever played on my Xbox One) reminded me how much I love that game. A lot of whimsy mixed with some pretty great design and mechanics. I just noticed that I had CQ1 already when I tried to DL it from GWG today. So I might have to take a run through that too.

That and Headlanders (which was ok) might be the only Double Fine games I've ever played lol. Will try out Psychonauts 2 when it comes out!

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Need to see a Xbox Series controller teardown.

Want to see if they changed anything internally, specifically the lever design of the Bumpers, which were really not ideal.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I get that they're doing a substantial rework bordering on reboot, and only shifted to full production relatively recently, but fundamentally they're still iterating on an engine, future-proofed assets, and systems which they've been shaping for years now (and tuning per audience feedback, by using FM7 as a testbed).
I don't think any of the assets will be future proof, if the footage is anything to got by. Just look at that difference:
The FM in-engine trailer just slaughters everything we've seen on current gen by a country mile. While I don't have a car comparison right now, the models looked significantly better in the in-engine trailer than everything we've seen in the past, too.

Not to mention all signs point to this launching as a GAAS platform (possibly with a F2P component) which would enable them to launch as an early access title, or in at least a non-traditional form factor (e.g $40 early access edition; with Gamepass MS can easily get kooky with pricing).
What signs point to F2P components? They got rid of loot boxes, even though you never paid for them, because people hated the idea and FM7 got really bad press. I don't think there are any indications for a F2P GaaS game and imo it will be similar to FM7/GTS in that the game will be updated over time. But it'll cost 60-70$ (full price) or you use Gamepass. No loot boxes, mods, MTX, ... .
Having played them all prior to 5, judgement is better played after 3, in release order. There are a few callbacks to the serie and if I'm not mistaken there's a campaign segment connected directly to Gears 3.
Thanks for the heads-up. I played almost all gear games, so a spoiler wouldn't be very worrying. Having said that, I haven't played Gears in years and just want to refresh my memory and I am trying to do this in the right order so to speak. So thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017

Want to see if they changed anything internally, specifically the lever design of the Bumpers, which were really not ideal.
Think most people that have one already said how much better the shoulder buttons feel. They have always felt off to me. Although the controller that came with my daughter's Xbox one s digital edition felt better then the ones I had on my one s. Dunno if that is placebo or they did actually alter them.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait for the FH4 upgrade! Hell, I can't wait for all the game upgrades to be honest lol.

I would love for Double Fine to tackle Conker after they've finished and shipped Psychonauts 2.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone has their opinion of course about "launch lineups" and such, but this is the most hyped that I have been for a new Xbox launch since the original Xbox. The Xbox One launch lineup wasn't anything amazing for me, and once I was done with my Ryse playthrough (pretty awesome graphics, combat somewhat clunky) after a handful of days I was sitting there with a console that isn't anywhere near what the Series X will be across the board in terms of power, performance and amazing backwards compatibility.

Maybe I am just too into video games :), but my list of games that I am planning or interested in playing at or around launch is crazy and far more than any other Xbox console launch ever. And this doesn't even list any of the games that are just by default playable through backwards compatibility that I may want to check out such as Sekiro which should be pretty much locked to 60 FPS now which would be huge and even something like Fusion Frenzy on Game Pass that will have the Auto HDR in effect.
  • AC: Valhalla - 60 FPS alone in a huge open world AC game makes this worth the price of admission for me
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon - crazy fun looking game that I am hyped to play after getting into the Yakuza series for the first time on Game Pass, and 60 FPS and SSD loading speeds are going to be great for me
  • Falconeer - Pre-ordered this to support a one-man developer, as I plan to play this one at 120 FPS and get my "Crimson Skies" fix
  • Dirt 5 - I love fun racing games, and I intend to check this one out at 120 FPS too
  • Forza Horizon 4 - Speaking of racing games, I had a lot of fun with this one before and will absolutely love playing this at 4K 60 FPS with increased fidelity and reduced loading times
  • Gears 5 - I was pretty much going to have to play the campaign again with the Series X optimized version, but the new things announced yesterday make it a certainty because I plan to swap out Batista for Marcus in the campaign. And now I have new story DLC to look forward to also. I will also be kicking the tires on some 120 FPS multiplayer because I did have some fun playing this before.
  • Gears Tactics - I played through some of the first content on my gaming PC on Game Pass at launch and really thought it was really fun with some cool characters even though I am not typically a big turn based game, so this will be great to play through on my 65" 4K TV.
  • Halo MCC - I had been doing a full playthrough recently of the MCC, and I paused because the recent announcement of fully optimized for Series X that will include 120 FPS support for even the campaign and of course decreased loading times and such will make this awesome.
  • Destiny 2 - I had some fun playing this at one point, but not being 60 FPS really annoyed me. So I will absolutely be jumping into this when the optimized for Series X updates come out in December and will be playing through the rest of the expansions and the new Beyond Light expansion.
  • Medium - This game looks so cool to me and is definitely something that wouldn't be possible without the next gen SSD performance, so I can't wait to play it on December 10th at release.
  • Grounded - I had fun with this one some at launch into Game Pass, but this is absolutely one that I will revisit with the optimized for Series X updates that bring increased resolution and frame rate along with HDR support coming too.
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps - This is my GOTY, and it will be a must play again for me at 120 FPS with increased graphical fidelity.
  • Sea of Thieves - I have had some fun at times jumping in and out of this game, but I will definitely be checking it out more with what I assume will be 60 FPS which should make a huge difference in the gameplay feel for me along with other enhancements.
  • Tetris Effect: Connected - I haven't played Tetris in years, but this should be a fun one to check out on Game Pass with my family and friends in between other games.
  • Bright Memory 1.0 - I was blown away by the Bright Memory Infinite trailer, and this first game by this single developer has good reviews on Steam. So I will likely end up checking it out too.
  • Maneater - I was surprised by how many people said this game was just stupid fun at launch, so I will consider picking this one up for the 4K 60 FPS action with ray traced water reflections.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

Yeah, this needs to have changed. I've mentioned it before, but anyone who's ever opened up an Xbox One pad will understand why the bumpers break.

I think they might have reworked them with the Elite S2, at least. They feel a little different to me (and it's kind of crazy that the Elite S1 used the exact same bumper mechanism as the standard pads!)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Everyone has their opinion of course about "launch lineups" and such, but this is the most hyped that I have been for a new Xbox launch since the original Xbox. The Xbox One launch lineup wasn't anything amazing for me, and once I was done with my Ryse playthrough (pretty awesome graphics, combat somewhat clunky) after a handful of days I was sitting there with a console that isn't anywhere near what the Series X will be across the board in terms of power, performance and amazing backwards compatibility.
I understand what you say and feel the same way about the Xbox launches. I was so annoyed back then that the wild west game at the launch was the game I bought for 360 and Xbox One launch was me basically playing FM5 forever until Titanfall appeared. This was a awesome game, but iirc the game came out early/summer 2014.

I called the launch abysmal and I stand by it if we simply look at new games to play. However as you said I share the opinion that BC and the free upgrades really lessen the impact of Halo Infinite missing. There is just so much to still play and with Gamepass my backlog is insanely long. Thus I am ok with it and look forward to the console, which warrant a purchase for the enhancements alone.

The games will come and with GP I know, I can legally play all of them.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How long should BGS Austin support FO76 and what should they do after?
The other Bethesda Game Studios seem to be busy with Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI for the years to come, same for Obsidian. So instead of not seeing any new Fallout game for many, many years, I'm all-in for giving the team a chance to prove themselves and work on a dedicated Fallout game on their own, maybe with support from other Bethesda/Xbox studios. I think the team did a good job with Fallout 76 Wastelanders, they learned a lot and the post-launch support you are seeing today is good, so they deserve a chance -- if they so choose, of course.

I think a realistic take is: either BGS Austin does something new with Fallout - or the alternative is we won't see anything new from Fallout for quite some years.

Last edited:

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

Maybe I am just too into video games :), but my list of games that I am planning or interested in playing at or around launch is crazy and far more than any other Xbox console launch ever. And this doesn't even list any of the games that are just by default playable through backwards compatibility that I may want to check out such as Sekiro which should be pretty much locked to 60 FPS now which would be huge and even something like Fusion Frenzy on Game Pass that will have the Auto HDR in effect.
  • AC: Valhalla - 60 FPS alone in a huge open world AC game makes this worth the price of admission for me
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon - crazy fun looking game that I am hyped to play after getting into the Yakuza series for the first time on Game Pass, and 60 FPS and SSD loading speeds are going to be great for me
  • Falconeer - Pre-ordered this to support a one-man developer, as I plan to play this one at 120 FPS and get my "Crimson Skies" fix
  • Dirt 5 - I love fun racing games, and I intend to check this one out at 120 FPS too
  • Forza Horizon 4 - Speaking of racing games, I had a lot of fun with this one before and will absolutely love playing this at 4K 60 FPS with increased fidelity and reduced loading times
  • Gears 5 - I was pretty much going to have to play the campaign again with the Series X optimized version, but the new things announced yesterday make it a certainty because I plan to swap out Batista for Marcus in the campaign. And now I have new story DLC to look forward to also. I will also be kicking the tires on some 120 FPS multiplayer because I did have some fun playing this before.
  • Gears Tactics - I played through some of the first content on my gaming PC on Game Pass at launch and really thought it was really fun with some cool characters even though I am not typically a big turn based game, so this will be great to play through on my 65" 4K TV.
  • Halo MCC - I had been doing a full playthrough recently of the MCC, and I paused because the recent announcement of fully optimized for Series X that will include 120 FPS support for even the campaign and of course decreased loading times and such will make this awesome.
  • Destiny 2 - I had some fun playing this at one point, but not being 60 FPS really annoyed me. So I will absolutely be jumping into this when the optimized for Series X updates come out in December and will be playing through the rest of the expansions and the new Beyond Light expansion.
  • Medium - This game looks so cool to me and is definitely something that wouldn't be possible without the next gen SSD performance, so I can't wait to play it on December 10th at release.
  • Grounded - I had fun with this one some at launch into Game Pass, but this is absolutely one that I will revisit with the optimized for Series X updates that bring increased resolution and frame rate along with HDR support coming too.
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps - This is my GOTY, and it will be a must play again for me at 120 FPS with increased graphical fidelity.
  • Sea of Thieves - I have had some fun at times jumping in and out of this game, but I will definitely be checking it out more with what I assume will be 60 FPS which should make a huge difference in the gameplay feel for me along with other enhancements.
  • Tetris Effect: Connected - I haven't played Tetris in years, but this should be a fun one to check out on Game Pass with my family and friends in between other games.
  • Bright Memory 1.0 - I was blown away by the Bright Memory Infinite trailer, and this first game by this single developer has good reviews on Steam. So I will likely end up checking it out too.
  • Maneater - I was surprised by how many people said this game was just stupid fun at launch, so I will consider picking this one up for the 4K 60 FPS action with ray traced water reflections.

agree, so many new games to play this launch its crazy.

Oct 12, 2020
Everyone has their opinion of course about "launch lineups" and such, but this is the most hyped that I have been for a new Xbox launch since the original Xbox. The Xbox One launch lineup wasn't anything amazing for me, and once I was done with my Ryse playthrough (pretty awesome graphics, combat somewhat clunky) after a handful of days I was sitting there with a console that isn't anywhere near what the Series X will be across the board in terms of power, performance and amazing backwards compatibility....

That was a great post and explains exactly why I have no issues with the gaming options for the X/S Series launch.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Hi everyone! I just won another digital copy of Halo 5. Would anyone like to have it?

Marano was it you that asked me the first time? Let me know :)

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Think most people that have one already said how much better the shoulder buttons feel. They have always felt off to me. Although the controller that came with my daughter's Xbox one s digital edition felt better then the ones I had on my one s. Dunno if that is placebo or they did actually alter them.

That sounds good in theory, but I just need to see the actual teardown. :D

Also, you are right about the controller feeling better. I have gone through 3 revisions myself and they improved the bumpers amongst other things quite a bit.

Yeah, this needs to have changed. I've mentioned it before, but anyone who's ever opened up an Xbox One pad will understand why the bumpers break.

I think they might have reworked them with the Elite S2, at least. They feel a little different to me (and it's kind of crazy that the Elite S1 used the exact same bumper mechanism as the standard pads!)

Glad I'm not the only one who sees the flaw in the lever design. The Elite S2 architecture redesign gives me hope, though.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
You guys think they'll let us unlock the frame rate in cyberpunk? I'm hoping there's something to accommodate series x owners early.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
The other Bethesda Game Studios seem to be busy with Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI for the years to come, same for Obsidian. So instead of not seeing any new Fallout game for many, many years, I'm all-in for giving the team a chance to prove themselves and work on a dedicated Fallout game on their own, maybe with support from other Bethesda/Xbox studios. I think the team did a good job with Fallout 76 Wastelanders, they learned a lot and the post-launch support you are seeing today is good, so they deserve a chance -- if they so choose, of course.

I think a realistic take is: either BGS Austin does something new with Fallout - or the alternative is we won't see anything new from Fallout for quite some years.

I just hope they don't become a team dedicated to supporting the main BGS team in Maryland. They should work on a new IP, Fallout, or maybe an MS IP like Shadowrun.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You guys think they'll let us unlock the frame rate in cyberpunk? I'm hoping there's something to accommodate series x owners early.
I would certainly like to see more games getting unlocked patches, just to see how far we can push the Series X lol.

I hope Cyberpunk has a showing soon, just so we know what we are getting since the actual patch is away off yet.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just hope they don't become a team dedicated to supporting the main BGS team in Maryland. They should work on a new IP, Fallout, or maybe an MS IP like Shadowrun.
Bethesda Game Studios Austin currently has a lot of open positions available, including Producer positions. I think it is fair to assume they are at least in pre-production on a dedicated project next to supporting Fallout 76. But you are right, that dedicated project could very well be assisting on The Elder Scrolls VI or whatever. It's too early to concretely tell.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
But what's the appropriate action to indicate your displeasure? Not buying it on Xbox, so that they see that the sales on PlayStation are much higher thanks to this exclusive deal? Buying it on Xbox, but not on PlayStation, so that they see that the sheeple will buy the product anyway, even if they take Sony's money? I'm not sure this is one of those situations where "Vote with your wallet is so cut and dry."

Smarter companies with competent leadership like Activision will see sales percentages drop as a share of the install base and they won't conclude "oh hey this sells better on PlayStation let's give them more goodies," they'll do their research to see if there are any other variables that might account for this shift, and they'll have pollsters email people with Activision accounts to get a general sense of how people feel about certain things, and you'll see sales much sooner on the platform that sold markedly less, and the next time the leader wants to make an exclusive deal, Activision will charge them more for it to make up for lost launch MSRP. If enough people don't buy a product because of third-party deals, it won't stop those deals from being made--it'll just be more expensive going forward; companies love making these deals.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Hey,

I want people to know I'm not on some crusade against Dealer. I'm not some part of "cancel culture"

I just want Xbox to not hang out with potentially problematic people, and deal with shitty situations in a way that makes them look good.

It leads to a better image for their brand, and a better world for gaming.

I'm excited for the future, but I don't want that future to have stormclouds on the horizon because of easily rectifiable situations.
What's the context here? I watch Dealer videos once in a while but didn't notice problematic stuff (aside from somewhat console-warrior vibes).

Jul 10, 2020
What's the context here? I watch Dealer videos once in a while but didn't notice problematic stuff (aside from somewhat console-warrior vibes).
He said some homophobic stuff a few years ago that he apologized for.

It still makes some of us side-eye hard when we see Major Nelson and Greenburg go on his show.

It's hard sometimes to forgive stuff like that because you don't know if they're really sorry or just saying it you know?

I like to imagine he's reformed, but some people have serious gripes about him, and I can see where they come from.

Nov 2, 2017
I have found hopefully the ideal 4k tv for me that will be on sale during Walmart's Black Friday deals. It is a Roku tv so I hope that it will be good enough for the series x (and ps5)

Jul 10, 2020
In other news that brings a positive vibe back:

I acquired a 4K HDR passthrough splitter from Best Buy so I can have TWO 4k HDR devices hooked up to my one slot on my TV at the same time.

I also found out that my tv does 60 and 120 FPS as well, although the 120 is fake 120 whatever that means

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
In other news that brings a positive vibe back:

I acquired a 4K HDR passthrough splitter from Best Buy so I can have TWO 4k HDR devices hooked up to my one slot on my TV at the same time.

I also found out that my tv does 60 and 120 FPS as well, although the 120 is fake 120 whatever that means

How the hell do you fake a refresh rate? Is it variable with a 120 HZ maximum of something? I hate the future it's so confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.