• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
I'm not saying Microsoft needs to shut down a project--Microsoft needs to maybe make the studios focus on 1-2 projects at a time and have them work on the projects in order. The relationship between a publisher and a developer is a two-way relationship. The studios should be able to understand that their publisher needs games for the console's launch (an event that happens once in 7-8 years). I don't think it would have been unreasonable to ask the developers to get one game ready for the launch. A smaller game like Miles would have been enough to kill the annoying narrative that Xbox doesn't have games.

Grounded had the potential to be bigger than it is. No developer would say no to more resources given to their game. Hell, Microsoft could have outsourced developers for Grounded and it could have made a good family-friendly launch exclusive.

Obsidian has experience in building games, yes. I know a lot of people here are excited that they're working on 4-5 (or was it 6?) projects at the same time, but it just makes me worried. 1-2 great games are better than 4-5 half-assed ones with limited resources. I want Obsidian's games to be big and deep as New Vegas instead of mediocre like The Outer Worlds.

When Microsoft bought Obsidian, they knew they would not get a launch title from them for their new console. Sure, they could have forced Obsidian to put 50 people on Grounded. Instead of the narrative being "15 devs are working on a passion project" the internet would be full of "MS forced these poor CRPG making devs to work on a survivor game to get a launch title". That would be horrific PR for MS. Not to mention it would ruin Grounded. Those devs truly want to work on it and it shows.

If you've looked at the credits on Grounded, you can see that's a lot of outsourcing already being done. They can't outsource the whole game.

Obsidian is doing what Microsoft wants from the studios. Steady flow of games for the service. If Obsidian worked on two big games at a time, it would mean 2-3 years between the projects. Not to mention it would burn out the staff members at Obsidian.
There's a bunch of talented devs at Obsidian who've been waiting for the opportunity to work on small/mid sized passion projects. Now they finally have the financial backing and the green light from MS. Those won't be some half-assed games, they will be made with passion and worked on until they are ready. It keeps the staff at Obsidian happy and in the company. It also gives GamePass a steady flow of games from Obsidian. If they can deliver 1 game each to the service, they are doing great and if those bigger games are released 2-4 years apart, it's not that different than it would be in scenario where everyone worked on the bigger projects.

Not to mention those smaller games give them opportunities to try out new things. Things that would not want to try out on a bigger game for the first time.

I would not call Obsidian's resources limited. They've grown those departments that have needed it the most. Animation and Audio departments have grown rapidly. I believe they've also added 3 or 4 new Narrative designers.

Obsidian has always had the culture of working on multiple projects at the same time. So they know what they are doing when it comes to spreading the manpower and using it wisely, so people are not just waiting around for something to do when their part in some project is finished. For example artists are usually done with their work way sooner than programmers, designers, audio guys and q&a. Most of the narrative designers are not needed in the very early stages or when they are about wrap up development. You want to have projects you can shift those people to with out a hitch. This is something Brian Fargo talked about when they were asking money for Wasteland 3, even though Torment wasn't yet released. It keeps people employed at the company, instead of them having to terminate contracts because there's no project that they can work on. And yes, in a perfect world the development cycles with 2 games would always be just perfect and you could just shift people from the 1st game to the 2nd.

But mostly it comes to down to the fact they want to keep their staff members and it means giving them a break from bigger projects and granting them freedom to work on something that they really want to make. GamePass is perfect for that.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I really love my Stealth 700's I've been using for the past couple of years. Bluetooth and game audio at the same time was a game changer for me.

I'll probably be picking up the Gen2's if the B&O headset is too pricey.

Xbox should partner with Sony to have Funimation included instead of Crunchy Roll because Dub>Sub. :)
Good to hear, I've been using my PX4's this gen and I seen these and the few reviews for them were all glowing. Just need them to come back into stock.

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know if this is the place to post this, but does anyone else's current dashboard remove the "watch" tab across their profile? Its been gone for me for quite sometime now, even on friends profiles pages. I always like watching friends most recent captures, and it just seemed like a great social feature for Live. To have it be swiped under the rug like that seems like a weird move.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Flou Good post. Thanks for writing it.

Sorry if this has already been posted. Don't think I saw it. A video where I can say I've been to/passed through most of these places :D. Wonder what area of the world they're gonna focus on adding more detail into first (or second, since the first was Japan, right?.. Or..?)

Oct 25, 2017
Grounded had the potential to be bigger than it is. No developer would say no to more resources given to their game. Hell, Microsoft could have outsourced developers for Grounded and it could have made a good family-friendly launch exclusive.

Obsidian has experience in building games, yes. I know a lot of people here are excited that they're working on 4-5 (or was it 6?) projects at the same time, but it just makes me worried. 1-2 great games are better than 4-5 half-assed ones with limited resources. I want Obsidian's games to be big and deep as New Vegas instead of mediocre like The Outer Worlds.

It makes you worried because you correlate budget and more people with better games. If they needed more people on Grounded, they would get more people on Grounded. The Outer Worlds could be a case of needing more people and stuff getting left behind because of it, but Grounded isn't.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

giphy.gif

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
All i want is to be able to stream xcloud to pc. Why is this still not a thing?

Does seem odd to me that a PC 'client' for the cloud streaming service wasn't one of the earlier pieces put in place, as it seems (in my admittedly ignorant view!) that it would be a simpler implementation than mobile in many ways.

Even local console streaming is buried away on PC in the (no longer supported and soon to be decommissioned?) Console Companion app, with no sign yet of this making it into the newer Xbox app, either.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Does seem odd to me that a PC 'client' for the cloud streaming service wasn't one of the earlier pieces put in place, as it seems (in my admittedly ignorant view!) that it would be a simpler implementation than mobile in many ways.

Even local console streaming is buried away on PC in the (no longer supported and soon to be decommissioned?) Console Companion app, with no sign yet of this making it into the newer Xbox app, either.
Like i said. Wating for series x blades. No point of xbox one blades for pc streaming. Wouldnt be good experience for pc

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Like i said. Wating for series x blades. No point of xbox one blades for pc streaming. Wouldnt be good experience for pc

That does indeed make sense - a very good point, thanks. It would I suppose make sense to consolidate this into the plans to eventually offer cloud streaming services on the consoles, too.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Friends, after dipping into the PS5 entertainment apps thread, I just couldn't help but think "Damn, it would be so cool if MS just subsumed the Crunchyroll sub into GP Ultimate.

It'd save me £6.50 a month, so I'd be very happy with that.

I mean, that'd get me an extra pint and a packet of crisps every month.

Or at least, it would if I could leave the house.

There was an interview with Jerk Gustafsson in todays Dagens Industri.
The tl;dr for those who skipped swedish class:
They are happy to become a part of Microsoft.
They feel like they learned a lot about multiplayer- and rpg-mechanic design from Wolfenstein: Youngblood.
They are helping Arkane Studios with Deathloop.

Excellent, thanks for the bullet points!

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

I understand all the complaints about the graphics. With that said - if the quest design is solid I'm going to love this game. The Halo loop + open world with good quest design? That would be great. The game looked fun to me.

(Most open-world games lack good quest design imo)

Yeah I agree honestly, the game looked fun as all hell and looked like some of the most solid Halo gameplay yet. And I don't even think the graphics were that bad

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Bigger isn't always better. But given Obsidian's recent track record, I'm not sure Microsoft should just give them free reign and trust them to decide what game is supposed to be bigger and what game is supposed to be smaller when they have so many projects in development. There's nothing wrong with smaller games if they're executed well.
I liked Outer Worlds. Very solid game. Guess I'm weird?

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
It only makes sense with their current business model, considering they have a hugely successful monthly subscription service it makes no sense to condense releases to launch day anymore. I don't think he's saying that for marketing purposes as you imply, he's literally explaining their approach and it makes logical sense in the long run as well. Xbox is selling out Day 1 anyway, as we all can plainly see.

As for the largest launch lineup in history, that's because of the huge strides they've made in backwards compatibility, it was never about next-gen only games. I think with this as well, Xbox has been very clear. They literally have thousands of playable games on Day 1 of their new console, not to mention a large quantity of them are getting significant upgrades, which is absolutely something to be proud of.
Agreed. I also think the gaming community is being a bit harsh on devs about the games. Microsoft is basically building an empire of first party studios so there's going to be growing pains - not to mention a world wide pandemic that has affected every thing. Perhaps gamers are just impatient but I don't think that's a reason to blast devs about the line up for next gen. No doubt the games are coming and most of us have insane backlogs that'll see huge upgrades next gen.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
mp1st.com

Report: Colombian Retailer Already Selling Xbox Series X, Posts Unboxing Video

Some retailers already have the Xbox Series X in stock, & don't really care for street dates, with one store in Colombia even posting an unboxing video.

WTF $700 ?

According to people on the Xbox subreddit, the store is legit (as in, it's been around for quite some time), and that the person has mentioned how he has 10 Xbox Series X units for sale, with eight already being pre-sold. One redditor translated that the person in the video says that he paid more than the retail price for this (Xbox Series X) console as well with someone else pointing that there's an added $40 for each console which puts the total price at $700!

Status
Not open for further replies.