• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Exciting. Definitely don't expect to see this release any time soon. If they do choose to do that, my expectation is that follow on narrative content post launch will have Staten's fingerprints all over it.
I think with the addition of Staten, Halo Infinite will release in November 2021. This gives him and the team a good solid 1 year + 1 month before the game needs to go Gold and have a release for November 2021. This gives them plenty of time to tighten things up and perhaps modify some of the stuff they had planned and Staten improves on.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I think with the addition of Staten, Halo Infinite will release in November 2021. This gives him and the team a good solid 1 year + 1 month before the game needs to go Gold and have a release for November 2021. This gives them plenty of time to tighten things up and perhaps modify some of the stuff they had planned and Staten improves on.
I'm still hoping for a Summer 2021 release.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wow, pretty mind blowing to think that Xbox's big launch game will probably miss its release by a full year.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
While an even longer wait for Halo would be a bummer, at this point take the time you need to make it everything it needs to be, the worst possible delay (of missing the console launch) has already happened. This news is welcome and hopefully there's enough time and leeway given for Staten to make the changes that need to be made.

Seeing Wasteland 3 reviews gets me even more excited for InXile's next gen project. Similarly I'm ultra hyped hearing about a 3rd person game from The Initiative considering the talent they have acquired. Although those projects and my other most hyped XGS games (Avowed/Fable) seem far away, 2022-2024 will probably have some absurdly incredible XGS releases.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I think people are reading the Staten news a bit incorrectly. I don't think that he's joining 343i in a writing capacity, but more in a leadership capacity and likely only temporarily. It's really just a perfect storm with Halo needing some development help (and him existing within the XGS-realm as someone who helps teams get projects out the door), him being familiar with the franchise, and the previous project he was assigned to (Tell Me Why) releasing tomorrow. I think he will help in a leadership capacity on Infinite until the game is out, but then move back to the publishing team and continue to work with second-party developers. I think if he really wanted to be working on Halo at this point in his career, he already would be doing that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are reading the Staten news a bit incorrectly. I don't think that he's joining 343i in a writing capacity, but more in a leadership capacity and likely only temporarily. It's really just a perfect storm with Halo needing some development help (and him existing within the XGS-realm as someone who helps teams get projects out the door), him being familiar with the franchise, and the previous project he was assigned to (Tell Me Why) releasing tomorrow. I think he will help on Infinite until the game is out, but then move back to the publishing team and continue to work with second-party developers. I think if he really wanted to be working on Halo at this point in his career, he already would be doing that.
Problem is he did the exact same thing with Crackdown also. :P

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Just got the Xbox Game store Overhaul... Night and Day different. So much better, organized and much more fluid movement. This is how a games store should be done. Excellent job team Xbox. Now why can't Windows Store on Win10 do this?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people are jumping to the wrong conclusions with the Staten news. Especially the dumb assumptions that 343 are rebooting the game.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Just got the Xbox Game store Overhaul... Night and Day different. So much better, organized and much more fluid movement. This is how a games store should be done. Excellent job team Xbox. Now why can't Windows Store on Win10 do this?

Because the Windows team is always 10 years behind everyone within MS organization.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people are jumping to the wrong conclusions with the Staten news. Especially the dumb assumptions that 343 are rebooting the game.
Seriously lol. The amount of time and money it takes to do mocap and VO is nuts. There is no universe where 343i reboots Infinite. It's crazy talk from people that think games are made super fast

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm jealous

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
I'm getting bad vibes from Tell Me Why. We've heard nothing about it and embargo on release 😐

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think people are reading the Staten news a bit incorrectly. I don't think that he's joining 343i in a writing capacity, but more in a leadership capacity and likely only temporarily. It's really just a perfect storm with Halo needing some development help (and him existing within the XGS-realm as someone who helps teams get projects out the door), him being familiar with the franchise, and the previous project he was assigned to (Tell Me Why) releasing tomorrow. I think he will help in a leadership capacity on Infinite until the game is out, but then move back to the publishing team and continue to work with second-party developers. I think if he really wanted to be working on Halo at this point in his career, he already would be doing that.

I think this is right on. The impact is being overblown in the big picture. He's there to stablilize the ship and help them land. I don't believe this means reboot or 2022 release. Assuming this game is targeted for sometime in May, they need someone who can get the teams focused and move in a cohesive direction from here on out. 343 has historically been challenged in that area.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because, as many articles stated before, working for Microsoft is like a Mexican stand off. Or used to be at least. Every team is at the throat of another and each department as well. That said there have been changes and now it seems that the culture is changing to a more shared thinking.

But the Windows team is still from the old times, so I think they are still thinking like that. They probably see gaming as a competition for funds and mind share, when really, they can really use their help about now with many ux related things.

But I could be wrong, and that they are nowalso catching up.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Joe Staten helping out on Infinite's campaign is good stuff! I really really hope they stick the landing in 2021. It's been soooo long since a massive Halo shooter.

I just checked different games on xbox.com coming to Xbox Series X like Fable, Everwild, Avowed and Forza Motorsport. Two of which are coming soon to gamepass.
Do we know the release date for Everwild? I think FM is interesting, considering most people assume the release is far away. I'd imagine, if no mistake was made on the Xbox site, that we are either getting FM earlier than everyone expects as a full release or, which imo is more likely, get FM in early access, since they want to include the community more in the development process.

Considering Sea of Thieves' success, I'd guess an early access release for Everwild next year would make sense (I know, SoT wasn't early access, but it was in all but its name and pricing - even the insider tests weren't that different from what we got on release). And Forza Motorsport seems to be heading in the same direction.

However, I can't help but be disappointed by that. I just hope that some devs actually want to release fully-featured complete games day one, because a lot of Xbox devs deserve to proudly say their games got an 85+ or something. Sea of Thieves released today would get 9-10s everywhere, and be a GOTY contender, but it never got that much praise. Just see what happens when games are released in a "full" state (Ori 2, Gears Tactics, Wasteland 3... All had great reviews).

Well, at least it seems they realised that for Halo.

Don't worry. Reviews drop today.

Are reviews covering all three episodes or just the first one?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
These last 12 months have been really positive and diverse for XGS! Better not to make a thread though, I guess... :P

(Includes some ports and remasters)

Microsoft Flight Simulator PC (93 MC, 92 OC)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (90 MC, 90 OC)
Halo 3 MCC PC (88 MC)
Wasteland 3 (86 MC)
Gears 5 (84 MC, 84 OC)
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (84 MC, 83 OC)
Halo Reach MCC PC (81 MC)
Gears Tactics (80 MC, 82 OC)
Minecraft Dungeons (70-78 MC, 73 OC)
Battletoads (73 MC, 72 OC)
Bleeding Edge (62-66 MC, 65 OC)
Wasteland Remastered (62 MC)
The Bard's Tale ARPG: Remastered and Resnarkeled doesn't have a MC score

Grounded (Early Access) has been very positively received as well, State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition received a significant update, Tell Me Why (which should do well) is coming in a few days, and some XGS games found their way onto Steam for the first time.

These games cover simulation, strategy, beat'em up, tactic RPG, shooter, RPG, dungeon crawler, platformer, narrative-driven immersive sim. Microsoft I believe is not quite there yet, and their investments from 2018 will only produce more bigger singleplayer titles starting in 1-2 years, but these are very positive signs in quantity and quality for XGS. They've had entire years with releasing less content than this August. Exciting times ahead.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
These last 12 months have been really positive and diverse for XGS! Better not to make a thread though, I guess... :P

(Includes some ports and remasters)

Microsoft Flight Simulator PC (93 MC, 92 OC)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (90 MC, 90 OC)
Halo 3 MCC PC (88 MC)
Wasteland 3 (86 MC)
Gears 5 (84 MC, 84 OC)
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (84 MC, 83 OC)
Halo Reach MCC PC (81 MC)
Gears Tactics (80 MC, 82 OC)
Minecraft Dungeons (70-78 MC, 73 OC)
Battletoads (73 MC, 72 OC)
Bleeding Edge (62-66 MC, 65 OC)
Wasteland Remastered (62 MC)
The Bard's Tale ARPG: Remastered and Resnarkeled doesn't have a MC score

Grounded (Early Access) has been very positively received as well, State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition received a significant update, Tell Me Why (which should do well) is coming in a few days, and some XGS games found their way onto Steam for the first time.

These games cover simulation, strategy, beat'em up, tactic RPG, shooter, RPG, dungeon crawler, platformer, narrative-driven immersive sim. Microsoft I believe is not quite there yet, and their investments from 2018 will only produce more bigger singleplayer titles starting in 1-2 years, but these are very positive signs in quantity and quality for XGS. They've had entire years with releasing less content than this August. Exciting times ahead.
Don't forget Sea Of Thieves re-reviews coming in the 8 range! And Outer Worlds / Wasteland 3 if you want to be cheeky and include them!

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Don't forget Sea Of Thieves re-reviews coming in the 8 range! And Outer Worlds / Wasteland 3 if you want to be cheeky and include them!
Also worth noting that MC doesn't look like they've updated their roundup since those rereviews. But yea, for all the doom and gloom around Xbox this year, it's actually been a very good period for Xbox players. Game Pass, platform, games have all been coming through for us. Especially since 12 months ago, Game Pass was doing well enough but we'd only had CD3 out the whole year.

Wow, pretty mind blowing to think that Xbox's big launch game will probably miss its release by a full year.
Only mind blowing because we know about it. I expect the same is true (and will be true) for several of Sony's games, as well. They just had the luxury of announcing later and not giving a date (not that Halo ever had a date).

It'll be a character driven game about Craig now :p
It already is :p. Halo Infinite includes a fully fledged Nemesis system. But it's just Craig continually coming back from the dead.

Press got the full game.
Oo interesting, makes sense with the short delay. Appointment gaming haha. I wonder if that affects the way the story hits, since you can "binge it" all at once. I guess that's not all that different from how it is now with people who wait until all the episodes are out for these games.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Looks like The Gunk is a permanent exclusive, not timed https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/..._substances_exploration_and_the_xbox_series_x

Pure Xbox: Why did you decide to make The Gunk an Xbox exclusive, and how will it take advantage of the Xbox Series X?

Ulf:
Since making this game is such a big step for us we knew we wanted to find a strong partner and Microsoft had been excited about it since our earliest conversations. And yes, it will be permanently exclusive for Windows 10 and the Xbox consoles. The gunk itself is using an advanced rendering technique that should benefit a lot from the added power of the Series X. It will also be a lot easier to get the game world as lush and vibrant as we're aiming for.

hmmm interesting

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
EA Play is $5 a month PER platform. If you have to choose between subscribing on PS5 or XSX (because you have the two consoles), wouldn't you want the one with xCloud ?
Even before xCloud EA play on Xbox is the better choice, because you get some cool last gen (PS3/360) games.
I've just had a thought, how does X1/360/OG bc work on XSX? Does it have a built in HDD for bc or do we need to buy one to install those games? They don't install on the SSD surely do they?
You can install everything on the internal SSD or the official Xbox Segate SSD. You can't play Series X games on a external HDD. OG Xbox, 360 and Xbox One games work on a external HDD.
can't think of a game that has impressed me visually just yet for the XSX that has made me go 'oh wow next gen is here'. Ratchet and Clank and Horizon 2 on the other hand have impressed me on PS5. I'm still getting XSX day 1 but this is an issue imo.
Horizon didn't show gameplay, thus I assume in engine, which shouldn't be mistaken with GCI, counts. To each their own, but I thought Everwild and especially Forza Motorsport looked awesome.

FM7 vs FM

GTS vs FM
ps_messages_20200724_lmjza.jpg

neuebitmap28wjoy.png

The generation leap is crystal clear between FM7/GTS and FM. I was very impressed by the footage.
Just checking out the new stuff, like the HDR thingy.
The app is great and I like the fact that Sony and Microsoft created the HDR group for this. This is the first step as both consoles now have the HDR setting implemented. Hopefully more to come.
I wanna see snakes added to the game.
That would be so frightening. Imagine running into the mouth of a snake in the dark and then you see the ground moving an realize you got eaten by a snake

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's very common in the IT industry as a whole to use contractors. What Jason is saying is not unique to gaming. I worked as a contractor for three years at a company.

Jan 20, 2019
It's very common in the IT industry as a whole to use contractors. What Jason is saying is not unique to gaming. I worked as a contractor for three years at a company.

It is not unique to anything, my time with my company is about to come to a end and they are most likely going to fire me by the beggining of next year.

6 years is the max in my company.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It is not unique to anything, my time with my company is about to come to a end and they are most likely going to fire me by the beggining of next year.

6 years is the max in my company.

Im sure, but all I know is IT. I know a project manager friend of mine has worked as a contractor going on two years.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Just catching up, super pumped to see Joe back on Halo, even if it's only a temporary thing.

I have wondered before why MS never set up a new studio with him at its head, but maybe he just doesn't want that. As a writer it's probably more fulfilling to work on a number of different things.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Just catching up, super pumped to see Joe back on Halo, even if it's only a temporary thing.

I have wondered before why MS never set up a new studio with him at its head, but maybe he just doesn't want that. As a writer it's probably more fulfilling to work on a number of different things.

He works as a consultant basically across all the studios.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Very cool. I've been waiting for this update before jumping back in.

I wish they had teased the bird by showing just the shadow flying over the characters. But regardless how they announced it, this should be an awesome addition to the world.
I tried it out last night!!! Without spoiling anything, I'd recommend exploring the water by the bird bath...

Also, they added human shoeprints into the backyard and turns out someone stepped DIRECTLY on my main base!

Status
Not open for further replies.