• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's worse, all the "leaks" and FUD around Infinite or people pulling "didn't they say", "they said this before" and "they lied before" while being wrong. Like come on if you're going to try a "gotcha" on the CM's, then at least check to see if your right first.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Literally no point... except having a severely gimped product from a game design and tech perspective.

infinite didn't even look good for this gen, let alone from one of the highest profile studios on a 12tf machine/next gen cpu/ssd.
Well, at this point they already clearly developed at least a version for the Xbox One, so I don't see use in scrapping it after 5 years. Not to mention I doubt that the finished product was "severely gimped" just due to the sheer existence of an Xbox One version of the game.

As long as they focus resources on making the Xbox Series X/PC versions the best they can be, like with ray tracing and 4K, I have no problem. I'd rather they don't leave Xbox One users behind, and make the most of Game Pass subscribers. More people that can enjoy the new Halo, the better. Now that they have extended development time, I think this is even more the case.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
What are we thinking for the new release date for Halo Infinite? Because if it's Spring 2021, an XBOX One version still makes sense. Holiday 2021, on the other hand...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are we thinking for the new release date for Halo Infinite? Because if it's Spring 2021, an XBOX One version still makes sense. Holiday 2021, on the other hand...
Xbox One version still makes sense regardless of when it releases. It's been built and designed with Xbox One in mind. A several months to 1 year delay is not going to change that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally no point... except having a severely gimped product from a game design and tech perspective.

infinite didn't even look good for this gen, let alone from one of the highest profile studios on a 12tf machine/next gen cpu/ssd.

Dropping it wont do anything, the game has been designed to work from X1 to XSX, and it'll release in 21 so they're probably working on polishing it. Halo MP community will massively benefit from X1 inclusion, you'll just need to accept it.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

Logically Microsoft would want it out before the end of their financial year - so before July. However, I just have a feeling September might be the month since it will give 343i an extra year to complete the game and ensure it is polished and it is before the busy period of November.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Ooooh so GP news at Gamescom then. I was wondering if we would just get a drop tomorrow or something like that. Very excited.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Sounds like they got a stew goin'
latest

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Gross

drop Xbox one support

even Xbox super fan Ryan mcaffrey realizes it holds games back
Blanket statements like that are wrong, Phil's included.

ps McCaffrey doesn't have a clue. I really like the guy and enjoy his work, but he's been called out on his lack of knowledge around game development, game hardware etc. before.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
snipedown itching to come back to halo (and i am itching for him too!)
He actually sounds a bit apprehensive about it. On a stream, he talked about how he's going to grind Infinite when it comes out, but whether he sticks around depends on how much he likes the gameplay and if they have proper prize pools again. He hasn't been playing in the MCC Pro Series because he didn't like Reach or H2A and there's no money in it.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Gross

drop Xbox one support

even Xbox super fan Ryan mcaffrey realizes it holds games back
Vin that's just not how it works at the start of a generation. If you want a fully "next-gen" game at launch then you need a f'ing time machine. The customized hardware and software didn't exist until last year, so a game built only using them is coming no earlier than 2022 or beyond.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Vin that's just not how it works at the start of a generation. If you want a fully "next-gen" game at launch then you need a f'ing time machine. The customized hardware and software didn't exist until last year, so a game built only using them is coming no earlier than 2022 or beyond.
Huh? There's plenty of next gen only games on ps5, there's even 1-2 on series x...

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Well, at this point they already clearly developed at least a version for the Xbox One, so I don't see use in scrapping it after 5 years. Not to mention I doubt that the finished product was "severely gimped" just due to the sheer existence of an Xbox One version of the game.

As long as they focus resources on making the Xbox Series X/PC versions the best they can be, like with ray tracing and 4K, I have no problem. I'd rather they don't leave Xbox One users behind, and make the most of Game Pass subscribers. More people that can enjoy the new Halo, the better. Now that they have extended development time, I think this is even more the case.
I agree. If they were going to cut out the Xbox One it would have - and should have - been done from the get to. Cutting it out now would be a colossal waste of time, and a kick in the d**k for anybody who was going to buy it for this generation.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? There's plenty of next gen only games on ps5, there's even 1-2 on series x...

This seems to be more a confusion of what you classify as next gen, none of those games started as next gen only games as they were in dev before it was even a thing. Now they certainly became " Next Gen " either because it wouldn't run on previous tech or for money reasons. Actual games built to the system won't be until next year if not a bit later but most won't care to them next gen is just a game exclusive to the new system.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Not putting out a previous gen version because of a gimmick doesn't mean the game was made from the ground up on/for next-gen hardware using a next gen devkit and software. The Medium doesn't require an SSD on PC, true next-gen games will hit in 2022 and later. Anything within the first year and a half of launch is cross-gen in how it started for any big AAA game and most AA games.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Locking games to next gen doesn't make them next gen though. They look like prettier versions of current games from what i've seen. True next gen games wont be around until devs get more time with these machines.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be more a confusion of what you classify as next gen, none of those games started as next gen only games as they were in dev before it was even a thing. Now they certainly became " Next Gen " either because it wouldn't run on previous tech or for money reasons. Actual games built to the system won't be until next year if not a bit later but most won't care to them next gen is just a game exclusive to the new system.
Not putting out a previous gen version because of a gimmick doesn't mean the game was made from the ground up on/for next-gen hardware using a next gen devkit and software. The Medium doesn't require an SSD on PC, true next-gen games will hit in 2022 and later. Anything within the first year and a half of launch is cross-gen in how it started for any big AAA game and most AA games.
Locking games to next gen doesn't make them next gen though. They look like prettier versions of current games from what i've seen. True next gen games wont be around until devs get more time with these machines.
So, the announced next gen only games aren't actually next gen only games because:

gimmicks
it's too early in the gen, doesn't count
just pretty versions of current gen games
games were being made before specs were made public

got it

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, seen Geoff Keighley interview with Ryan McCaffrey making rounds that's completely misquoting what he said. Just waiting for one of the warriors to post a thread with a loaded headline, specifically phrasing the misquote.

"Compares Gamepass to Cable TV sub" is what people are spinning his words to sound like. Geoff mentions cable TV stigma if there aren't big games on GP, not that GP is like cable TV.

Interview (a good watch)
youtu.be

Geoff Keighley Talks Game Awards, Hideo Kojima, Xbox vs. PS5, and More - IGN Unfiltered #53

Geoff Keighley - longtime games media personality best known as the host, creator, and executive producer of The Game Awards - discusses his long history wit...

Xbox / PS5 opinion about 55 mins in.

So, the announced next gen only games aren't actually next gen only games because:

gimmicks

got it
Yeah, on engines designed for current gen hardware. Then optimised for next gen, exactly what MS are attempting to do without locking out older machine. Geoff Grub mentioned this about Spiderman, Deathloop was initially announced for PS4, then dropped, and Kena for instance looks amazing, yet people were shocked it's coming out for PS4. You can still get good results, effectively by pushing these old engines on new hardware. The exception is R&C, visually it's great but mechanically, what we saw was a linear and current. The warping was cool, which is obviously a next gen feature, so I will give it that but I don't see it drastically changing the gameplay.

Last edited:

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018

gimmicks

got it
Yes the first two years of every gen is nowhere near as optimized as later in the generation because games that take 3+ years to create were being made on previous gen hardware because the new shit didn't exist until not far before launch. Yes you can make it prettier and have a few things here and there that only next-gen can do but the base code was made on the old generation or focused on pc. These are both highly customized machines and nothing coming out on them in the first two years started its dev on their actual devkits

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
It's the same situation like the Returnal trailer from Housemarque which had the PS Studios logo before it.
Understood but I saw alot of "podcasters" assume Housemarque was a PS studio
Blanket statements like that are wrong, Phil's included.

ps McCaffrey doesn't have a clue. I really like the guy and enjoy his work, but he's been called out on his lack of knowledge around game development, game hardware etc. before.
To be fair, he did say he talked to other people (I assume devs) which helped him change his stance.

on another note, I really hope we still see what The Initiative is cooking this year, especially if its PD. I do fear alot of the CGI backlash may come back to haunt my personal desires.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes the first two years of every gen is nowhere near as optimized as later in the generation because games that take 3+ years to create were being made on previous gen hardware because the new shit didn't exist until not far before launch. Yes you can make it prettier and have a few things here and there that only next-gen can do but the base code was made on the old generation or focused on pc. These are both highly customized machines and nothing coming out on them in the first two years started its dev on their actual devkits

That's a largely irrelevant point though. It doesn't matter if those early games aren't as optimised as games that will release later into the consoles life, all that matters is if they showcase visuals, tech, scope, assets, physics etc that are better than what we've seen previously, or in cross-gen releases, which is generally always the case with next-gen only exclusives and/or tent pole titles.

Hell, Ryse, Driveclub, Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous Second Son, NBA 2K14 etc (all launch window titles) not only blew away the graphics and tech we'd seen prior to their subsequent releases, but they also still hold up even today, 7 years on. That's also the case for early next-gen only tentpole multiplatform titles like Battlefront and Assassin's Creed Unity.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Game Pass announcement at Gamescom will finally reveal whatever that major third party partnership is or if that news has been delayed until next month.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is a big win, I love what Playstation does with their dynamic themes so this is huge for me. I hope we can get some ambient music as well.

Xbox-Visual-Refesh-Style-Guide.jpg

I feel like the blog was unclear, but do we get access to this customisation screen? Man I would love that.

Edit: They show off the new UI in action here! It looks so good!
Oh man, that video. This is a HUGE improvement! Great improvements to usability and readability, as well as intuitiveness..

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game themes. Huge.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this about PS4.

I want an infinite theme with the Ori composers song in the background!

A Halo Infinite background theme with an incredible skybox and an atmospheric and grandiose OST snippet, would be amazing.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a bit geeky but I'd love for Xbox to get theme packs like you get on Windows, with custom backgrounds, colors, and sounds, that you can download from the Xbox Store.

I think that's a good idea tbh. The more personalised we can make our home pages aesthetically and audiovisually, the better.

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
That's a largely irrelevant point though. It doesn't matter if those early games aren't as optimised as games that will release later into the consoles life, all that matters is if they showcase visuals, tech, scope, assets, physics etc that are better than what we've seen previously, or in cross-gen releases, which is generally always the case with next-gen only exclusives and/or tent pole titles.

Hell, Ryse, Driveclub, Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous Second Son, NBA 2K14 etc (all launch window titles) not only blew away the graphics and tech we'd seen prior to their subsequent releases, but they also still hold up even today, 7 years on. That's also the case for early next-gen only tentpole multiplatform titles like Battlefront and Assassin's Creed Unity.
Very true. The original Gears of War is another example of a game that was far beyond anything that home consoles had seen at the time, way back in 2006. It might have only been a 1st wave 360 game, but it was undoubtedly a next-generation game.

Status
Not open for further replies.