• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2018
they didnt include all those games in the july show because one of the big points of that show was that every single game was on gamepass day one or free to play

I feel like a lot of people didn't know that because it was called 'Xbox Games Showcase' and not 'Gamepass Games Showcase'.

Why restrict yourself when you can simply add a loud voice saying 'COMING TO XBOX GAMEPASS' right after the WORLD PREMIERE' voice ? (and by the way, it would have been more impactful but that's just my opinion).

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of people didn't know that because it was called 'Xbox Games Showcase' and not 'Gamepass Games Showcase'.

Why restrict yourself when you can simply add a loud voice saying 'COMING TO XBOX GAMEPASS' right after the WORLD PREMIERE' voice ? (and by the way, it would have been more impactful but that's just my opinion).

Phil literally started off the entire thing with "everything you see today will be playable day 1 via Game Pass or F2P".

Jan 4, 2018
What do we expect as community from Xbox Game Studios during Gamescom? Battletoads and MFS are out. Tell Me Why and Wasteland 3 will both be out by the second day of Gamescom. Grounded is already out on early access. Avowed, Fable and Forza are a long way off. Halo is delayed to 2021 and I don't think it's appropriate to show more of that game at this time. What do you think we will see?

Perhaps the first real gameplay of Everwild? Maybe some more Psychonauts 2 gameplay? Age of Empires 4 gameplay? Compulsions new game? The Initiatives new game? Undead Labs game? Perhaps Hellblade 2?

I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm expecting Ages of Empire 3 Definitive Edition and maybe a Wasteland 3 launch trailer if they decide it fit the moment (I don't know if there is already one ?). I don't think we will see more of other games before September.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
they didnt include all those games in the july show because one of the big points of that show was that every single game was on gamepass day one or free to play
That's a very valid argument, however, gamepass as the focal point of the event, in my opinion, was a flawed move. Since "Here is ALL the content coming to GamePass!" was undercut by "... most of it coming 2022+"

Having clear "Coming to GamePass at launch" tags during the reveals, alongside regular 3rd Party trailers would have been better received, as a show.

But who am I to say shit, i have a Gamepass sub 😂🤡

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite started development almost 5 years ago, of course it was going to be cross gen. That shouldn't be a problem, the problem is it didn't even look great for a cross gen game. Look at the reaction to Gotham Knights (Cross gen), compared to Infinite. The overwhelming majority of complaints with Infinite were related to its graphics and presentation, elements that absolutely should have been scaleable to the first year or two of next gen. Look at cross gen games from last gen or ones announced for this gen, they still held/hold up in the first year or two graphically while Infinite clearly does not. The whole cross gen issue isn't even an issue at this point anyway, we know the studios choose what platforms they want to release on and the overwhelmingly majority went with next gen exclusive. The problem with Infinite isn't cross gen, people are just looking for something to blame for Infinite's graphics and presentation being sub par. Sub par for even a current gen game, let alone a cross gen game. The problems are quite obviously in different areas, related to 343's planning, scaleability and tech.

Does cross gen development hold back games? absolutely it does. But that is accepted with cross gen games at the start of a generation, as the first year or two you don't see a big jump in either game design or graphical quality. But what people expect is for cross gen games to still hold up well graphically in that first year or two, which they usually do. Infinite being cross gen doesn't prevent it from possibly being an amazing game obviously, Switch's lack of power in comparison to last gen didn't hold back BotW from being an amazing game. But there is no excuse for Infinite looking the way it does.

Last edited:

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Game Pass really is great, to the point that it's almost hard to talk about it without sounding like a commercial. I was trying to get my wife to play Man of Medan with me last year near Halloween, but she never committed so I never bought it, maybe now that it's essentially free she won't have an excuse this year.

I was reading this thinking, "but Halloween is ages away, who knows if it'll still be in Game Pass then..?" before swiftly realising, holy smokes, it's August, isn't it. I probably looked like my avatar.

This year has been A Thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Crossgen games have existed forever, getting real tired of the bitching as if this is something new, Phil an co already said they are only doing this for the first year or two, Jesus Christ. I haven't seen one "nexgen" game from anyone ps or xbox that looks like it cant run on current gen consoles.

An now we got ppl crying about the XSS saying it will hold back the XSX when from the specs we've heard so far they are practically the same damn console just with less ram an a weaker gpu lol.

Literally 1 person said that, 1, who else is crying about the Series S in here?

Also the question isn't if they can run on current gen consoles, the question is if those games get compromised form having to run on current gen consoles. Of course they can run on them.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
He finally sees the light. I wonder what he thinks about 4TF vs 12TF. XSS will definitely hold XSX back, I don't care what anyone says.
But what light? I mean, no one said supporting current gen forever wouldn't hold back next gen. Even Ms acknowledged that.

Ms response was always that it would enable games that would have possible on current gen to be viable to release on it, not that it would force everyone to develop for current gen.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
He finally sees the light. I wonder what he thinks about 4TF vs 12TF. XSS will definitely hold XSX back, I don't care what anyone says.
Both Series consoles will have Zen 2 CPUs, GDDR6 ram, NVME SSDs, and RDNA2 GPUs.
Series S will target 1080p (or whatever developers can utilize reconstruction techniques to draw).
Series X will target 2160p (or whatever developers can utilize reconstruction techniques to draw).
This is not a comparable situation to having to make a game work for both Xbox Series consoles and both Xbox One consoles, considering the latter is ancient tech based on a garbage laptop CPU, DDR3 ram, and a 5400rpm HDD.
If you don't care what anyone says, it's only because you have no interest in a genuine technical discussion.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Both Series consoles will have Zen 2 CPUs, GDDR6 ram, NVME SSDs, and RDNA2 GPUs.
Series S will target 1080p (or whatever developers can utilize reconstruction techniques to draw).
Series X will target 2160p (or whatever developers can utilize reconstruction techniques to draw).
This is not a comparable situation to having to make a game work for both Xbox Series consoles and both Xbox One consoles, considering the latter is ancient tech based on a garbage laptop CPU, DDR3 ram, and a 5400rpm HDD.
If you don't care what anyone says, it's only because you have no interest in a genuine technical discussion.

Yep, this is exactly it. I don't get the people saying that Series S is going to hold off or hinder next gen games. Just lower the res, get rid of ray traicing and you are probably there (this is the most simplistic way of explaining, I do know that there's much more work involved). My only concern would have been if it came out with a HDD instead of an SSD, but it's not the case. I feel like the people that say this about the XSS is the equivalent of people saying that Sony only makes one type of game. It's just dumb.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What do we expect as community from Xbox Game Studios during Gamescom? Battletoads and MFS are out. Tell Me Why and Wasteland 3 will both be out by the second day of Gamescom. Grounded is already out on early access. Avowed, Fable and Forza are a long way off. Halo is delayed to 2021 and I don't think it's appropriate to show more of that game at this time. What do you think we will see?

Perhaps the first real gameplay of Everwild? Maybe some more Psychonauts 2 gameplay? Age of Empires 4 gameplay? Compulsions new game? The Initiatives new game? Undead Labs game? Perhaps Hellblade 2?

I'm not sure what to expect.
Phantom Dust!

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Yep

It's also worth noting that XGS games all come to PC, so even if you were to drop the XBO like a rock, you can guarantee that min spec on PC titles will be below the performance of the Series X for all or nearly all titles for at least the next few years.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty ridiculous release week. I'm gonna squeeze in Tell Me Why ep 1 before diving into Wasteland 3.

Talk about not respecting a player's time ha ha.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Completely forgot about Gamescom. Xbox overshadows their XGS releases with other news at times but at least it'll make sense this week.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

The only case in which the XSS would be much of a hindrance, is if next-gen games get to a point where they seriously drop in resolution to compensate for what's on screen. In a world where 4K TV adoption is only going to grow, that is unlikely. Especially as "faux-K" techniques get better and better.

The XSS, based on what we know, is essentially designed around what is necessary to take a XSX game, and render it with ~25% of the pixels. So as long as XSX and PS5 games don't drop to 1080p or 1440p in the future, it's not a problem. That's certainly a theoretical restriction for devs to deal with, but a pretty minor one.

Supporting the Xbox One is a problem, a) because the CPU is awful, and CPU-bound things don't scale easily, and b) because the GPU in the One S is more than 8X worse than the XSX.

DragonGamer

Dec 20, 2017
Personally I hope 343 Industries
makes something on the level of the best FPS we have seen in a long time!
Imagine if they took more inspiration from games like "Super Metroid" , "System Shock 2" , "Quake" , "Bioshock" etc.
The game just needs amazing Ambience and make the Rings very mysterious, Dangerous, and Adventurous for 4 players to run around on and have great action moments or do something like ODST did which has more Linear type Campaigns.
If they focus on this - they will easily win people to go buy an Xbox Series X
If any developer needs ideas don't be afraid to message me.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Also just a reminder that halo infinite was in dev before the Xbox one x launched so they had Xbox one as a baseline the whole time.

every gen the fandom thinks a switch will be flicked and "next gen" will be apparent. It's never like that. The metal won't be tested until 2-3 years in. Maybe longer given how long dev time is these times

Monkhaus

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Nothing holds back nextgen as much as Era is holding back nextgen.

Especially regarding Joy!

Greetings
Charles Ray-Tracing
John 0815
Mike Morality

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Not if the console is engineered to basically get everything was developed for XSX and render it at 25% the resolution with no performance or graphical hit (except resolution, obviously). Which is what we've been hearing so far.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If my maths are correct, The Initiative has currently 65 employees. Cool.
Seems like these people joined already 4 or 5 months ago

Some intresting ones.

Bungie lead Writer on Destiny 2 campaigns/events

Game director at Crystal Dynamics for 10 years. Now experiential director

Lead UI artist at Playground for 8 years.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Seems like these people joined already 4 or 5 months ago

Some intresting ones.

Bungie lead Writer on Destiny 2 campaigns/events

Game director at Crystal Dynamics for 10 years. Now experiential director

Lead UI artist at Playground for 8 years.

Yep. Also:

Justin Perez (Senior System Design) - In his bio he says that his focus is on 3rd person action, RPG, strategy games. His last work was on Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, and before that he worked on Mass Effect Andromeda. He did big things in both games, more info on his LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/justinperez)

Francisco Aisa Garcia (Senior Gameplay Engineer) - It seems that his focus is on AI. His last work was on Naughty Dog (2019-2020) and Rockstar (2014-2019)

Yuka Murata (Software Engineer) - She seemingly hasn't worked with games directly, but her work with graphics and engine is very awesome. Some videos on her LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/yukamurata)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Ok, but that doesn't make it true you know. Series S isn't comparable to Xbox One and scalability doesn't mean you can bring everything to the GameCube. But it means games can be scaled to some extend. CPU doesn't scale well compared to GPU and thus Lockhart has the same CPU than Series X.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
With more and more publishers not supporting free next gen upgrades I'm really happy about the Smart Delivery branding.

Its caught a lot of flack online for just being a marketing term for cross buy, but it really makes it easy to know which games are worth picking up this year.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
This is the studio I'm most interested in. The talent they have already is impressive and I look forward to seeing what they're developing! We won't see anything for years tho :(

According to Matt Booty we were supposed to hear more this year, on their first project. I have no idea if that's still the case any more.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
You will be able to select from several different Themes for your profile when we start flighting this feature, including some game Themes from Xbox Game Studios – and more will be added more over time!

This is a big win, I love what Playstation does with their dynamic themes so this is huge for me. I hope we can get some ambient music as well.

Xbox-Visual-Refesh-Style-Guide.jpg

I feel like the blog was unclear, but do we get access to this customisation screen? Man I would love that.

Edit: They show off the new UI in action here! It looks so good!

Last edited:

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Game themes. Huge.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this about PS4.

I want an infinite theme with the Ori composers song in the background!

Status
Not open for further replies.