• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the game being on Xbox One is the main issue. Phil stressed a lot how cross gen games wouldn't be held back and I don't think he would have used definitive statements like "Frankly, held back is a meme that gets created by people who are too caught up in device competition" if Infinite's problems were down to the game coming out on current gen.

Phil is clearly wrong then.

You can't make a cross gen game that has to perform at 60fps on the base Xbox One and not expect it to hold back the next gen version.

Infinite would look substantially better without having to conform to last gen standards. Even just dropping 60fps from the Xbox One version would probably help things enormously.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Phil is clearly wrong then.

You can't make a cross gen game that has to perform at 60fps on the base Xbox One and not expect it to hold back the next gen version.

Infinite would look substantially better without having to conform to last gen standards. Even just dropping 60fps from the Xbox One version would probably help things enormously.
No you can it is called optimization

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
It's time for Phil Spencer to remove the training wheels and put his big boy pants on. He has to make some tough calls and stop trying to be the ultimate good guy. Halo Infinite should be delayed indefinitely until it lives up to the original vision with the slipspace reveal trailer. Also forget about xb1. Buy a 3rd party game/secure a day 1 game pass game as consolation.

Yup. His nice PR guy attitude will only make things worse.

Time to be aggressive. Epic is securing exclusives (on PC no less!) and Sony is rumored to. You can't just sit tight and pretend your console will sell by doing nothing. Game pass is the best deal and I love it but at the end of the day, people still need them exclusives.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I was considering a lot to post it or not, but after few consultations with few different sources I'll put it;

Microsoft/343i is currently very busy with idea of dropping Xbox One support for Halo Infinite.

do it!

Even idea to postpone it to early 2022 is on the table.

oh no

It's pretty messy up there with decisions but they are convinced that they need to make best Halo game ever.

they do but wtf

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
If any game is going to accepted for cutting off old-gen support to deliver some real bombast, it is going to be your marquee franchise.

MS optics on this one have been poor in more ways than one, but it highlights the doldrums they found themselves in part way through this decade at Xbox.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt the game being on Xbox One is the main issue. Phil stressed a lot how cross gen games wouldn't be held back and I don't think he would have used definitive statements like "Frankly, held back is a meme that gets created by people who are too caught up in device competition" if Infinite's problems were down to the game coming out on current gen.

I think what's more likely is that Infinite is an incredibly ambitious project which is expected to have at launch a massive open-world campaign and online component which requires an astounding amount of work. Very few games are expected to have that, probably only the GTAs and Red Deads, and Rockstar is a lot bigger than 343. Once people realise the scope of the game, I think minor graphical glitches will be seen as less of an issue and more of a consequence of this type of project (like Skyrim for example, it was plagued by bugs but it was still highly regarded by critics and fans)
I'm sure they can make the XBO version work. It'll be a chuggy, blurry, ugly mess compared to the higher end versions but if they want XBO owners to experience it in such a sub-standard way in order to meet Gamepass demands then I guess that's what they'll do. The issue is that over time it's just not going to be worth it to keep updating the game on XBO 2 or 3 years into the next console cycle, eventually they will have to cut support and divert all their resources to the devices that can still keep up while developing their content. A similar thing happened to Destiny where it was on 360/PS3 and then it stopped getting supported due to the hardware limitations.

It's definitely an ambitious project though, especially with having to develop for so many devices which has to be a huge resource hog given that it has to work on 5 platforms. Microsoft certainly isn't making it easier for them given so many technical/financial expectations for this game.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much lol. I'll be happy if they kill off the Xbox One version to focus on it being a true next-gen game. But you really have to wonder how much they'll be going back to the drawing board and how far behind that will put it.
lol Yeah, as would I. Exactly, I understand them wanting it out as it's their main flagpole title, but as I have said I'm more than happy to wait to get the best Halo we can get. The only problem with that is I'm not a shareholder and there will be a tonne of pressure on 343i already.

I think it was said on last weeks KF XCast, that and I might be wrong here, but I think it was Gary Whitta who said he'll be looking forward to a Jason Schreier type investigative piece. We all are.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Cut any version of the game that needs to be cut. Take until 2023 if need be. Sony and Nintendo have moved mountains and oceans to make sure their prestige IPs maintain their luster (see Uncharted 4 and Metroid's development), to hell how long it takes. No reason why Microsoft should not or won't do the same.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of made-up nonsense going around about Halo Infinite these days huh
I'm totally willing to acknowledge that development has definitely had its issues, but the amount of doom and gloom around it has been frustrating.

Genuinely excited to see a making of documentary on Infinite in a couple years. The one for Halo 2 blew my mind back in the day.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally willing to acknowledge that development has definitely had its issues, but the amount of doom and gloom around it has been frustrating.

Genuinely excited to see a making of documentary on Infinite in a couple years. The one for Halo 2 blew my mind back in the day.

I wish we got more of these.

May 12, 2020
Pretty much lol. I'll be happy if they kill off the Xbox One version to focus on it being a true next-gen game. But you really have to wonder how much they'll be going back to the drawing board and how far behind that will put it.

I said the same thing a few weeks ago and got banned....

Focusing on the XSX and XSS and is the right decision, leave that old dinosaur behind.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Also, friendly reminder that there have been quite a few games (this gen alone) that went through rebooted develelopment, and quite dramatic development hell, and still come out the other side as fantastic games. The developer just needs to be talented, and organized well enough.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Lots of made-up nonsense going around about Halo Infinite these days huh

No, I would say that usually problems are way more complex than they appear to be, and that looking for easy narratives like "it's the Xbox One version" or "too much outsourcing" is way too tempting but rarely correct.

Perhaps you could shed some light on the situation, maybe at some point in the not too distant future? (hintity hint hint).

Edit: By that I mean, as you said there's a lot of misinformation going around about Halo Infinite, it would be good to see (or rather hear) someone who is informed give some context/clarity to some of the things that been happening with this game.

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Who to believe, Klob (simple) or Schreier (complex). 🤔
Not really interested in this thinking. We both agree there is much nonsense about the game going around. Everything else remains to be seen in 2021.

I've nothing left to prove about HI. They need more time. It's as simple as that right now. They'll get there. Campaign needs to catch-up, yet the additional time will allow the multiplayer team — which we know is further ahead — to already look ahead and potentially re-add more content.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
In more postive news, hopefully we get that Game Pass news this week.

May 12, 2020
5xirj9n1tli51.jpg

Xbox Series S confirmed to be all digital?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps you could shed some light on the situation, maybe at some point in the not too distant future? (hintity hint hint).

Edit: By that I mean, as you said there's a lot of misinformation going around about Halo Infinite, it would be good to see (or rather hear) someone who is informed give some context/clarity to some of the things that been happening with this game.
This was a trailer to the article. That's all you're getting for free!

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
Not really interested in this thinking. We both agree there is much nonsense about the game going around. Everything else remains to be seen in 2021.

I've nothing left to prove about HI. They need more time. It's as simple as that right now. They'll get there. Campaign needs to catch-up, yet the additional time will allow the multiplayer team — which we know is further ahead — to already look ahead and potentially re-add more content.

Appreciate the clarification, my excitement for HI has and will remain sky high regardless of all the drama. ✌🏽😊

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Sponger seems to have sources. They've given hints at what InXile is trying to do with their big new game. I believe one of the mods said that their info looked legit in the past.

If I remember correctly, a mod said that they could verify that he might have access to the stuff he said about inXile, but they couldn't verify the info themselves. Still, Klobrille backed up what was said already so yeah

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
If Xbox/343 is actually thinking about cutting the Xbox One version, then I think that would be the right consideration to make. The Xbox One was weak from the time its specs were revealed in 2013. That's 7 years ago. There is no reason the flagship return of Halo should be shackled to such an ancient platform. It's not a PC we can upgrade. Cut it. Focus on Series X|S and PC. That should alleviate some of the strain.
Now is that all there is to it? That the XB1 version was simply the problem and now everything is solved? Absolutely not. But that's a good start.
I still don't understand why this wasn't on the cards in the first place. You built a monstrous console with Series X and you didn't think that it should have Halo as its use-case? Why? Who decided that was a good idea?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Who to believe, Klob (simple) or Schreier (complex). 🤔

Both. Jason is saying the problem is more complicated than a one sentence description, and Klob is saying the solution is to simply give them more time. More time might be simple to say, but it doesn't mean the problem they're trying to solve is simple, it just means the best option, which is true of a lot of complex problems, is to simply give them time.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Sponger gave us all the info we have about Avowed and inXile's next game so no reason to doubt what he says IMO.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Still would be nice if get a Halo Infinite MP beta in november or so. If that doesnt take away dev time alot. But i believe the MP is/was in a good place overall already. And if a beta was still planned. Was iffy if we were getting one before but now with a delay its possible i guess to have it in november/december i guess.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019

I think what's more likely is that Infinite is an incredibly ambitious project which is expected to have at launch a massive open-world campaign and online component which requires an astounding amount of work. Very few games are expected to have that, probably only the GTAs and Red Deads, and Rockstar is a lot bigger than 343. Once people realise the scope of the game, I think minor graphical glitches will be seen as less of an issue and more of a consequence of this type of project (like Skyrim for example, it was plagued by bugs but it was still highly regarded by critics and fans)

I agree the current gen hardware is likely not the main issue, but I would concede that it is very likely a huge headache taking up a lot of resources. Especially as they seem to have designed it as a next-gen game first and then tried to scale it down.

This by itself probably isn't a problem, but judging by the optics of the reveal trailer, and the fact that the game is releasing in 2021/2022, that's two more years of games starting to look next-gen. If Halo launches in 2022 looking like how it does now, there would be uproar because by that point a lot of games will have dropped cross-gen support. Releasing it in 2020 at least had the excuse of cross gen periods.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
It's time for Phil Spencer to remove the training wheels and put his big boy pants on. He has to make some tough calls and stop trying to be the ultimate good guy. Halo Infinite should be delayed indefinitely until it lives up to the original vision with the slipspace reveal trailer. Also forget about xb1. Buy a 3rd party game/secure a day 1 game pass game as consolation.
He just made the decision to delay Halo away from the launch of a console. I don't think decisions get much harder.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
I thought Sony's approach to making games only for Playstation 5 was bad, but in the end I think it's for the best.
Halo Infinite is an open world game and requires a lot of computational power, the fact that making it for Xbox One may really be pulling the game's potential down. I think that launching only for the new generation is the best they can do, then it's the consumer's problem whether there's a box that runs the game or not.

EDIT
The casual audience will not pay much attention to Phil Spencer's promises, but saying that they will give more support to the Xbox One is worrying and I am less convinced to buy an Xbox Series X instead of the Playstation 5.
I'm not seeing a big title going to Xbox One right now or in next months, while Playstation 4 already had a lot and two amazing titles to close the generation, so it makes sense now to focus on Playstation 5.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I'm happy with both happening. I don't think an announcement would cause any problems with the release.
I think it's smart when the socia media messaging/advertisement is united and gives games the best possible chance for GamePass and sales success. Regardless of how Battletoads actually did, I would say they gave it a good chance of success with social media. This should be Tell Me Why/Wastleland 3 week for Xbox news.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
If Xbox/343 is actually thinking about cutting the Xbox One version, then I think that would be the right consideration to make. The Xbox One was weak from the time its specs were revealed in 2013. That's 7 years ago. There is no reason the flagship return of Halo should be shackled to such an ancient platform. It's not a PC we can upgrade. Cut it. Focus on Series X|S and PC. That should alleviate some of the strain.
Now is that all there is to it? That the XB1 version was simply the problem and now everything is solved? Absolutely not. But that's a good start.
I still don't understand why this wasn't on the cards in the first place. You built a monstrous console with Series X and you didn't think that it should have Halo as its use-case? Why? Who decided that was a good idea?

The game started development five years ago, they thought that would be plenty of time to get everything in shape.

Cutting off 55 million existing customers is a significant business decision.

Announcing you'll launch all your first party games into Game Pass, then telling the vast majority of your subscribers that they can't actually play your big new first party game with their subscription, might not go over well.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
No, I would say that usually problems are way more complex than they appear to be, and that looking for easy narratives like "it's the Xbox One version" or "too much outsourcing" is way too tempting but rarely correct.

So basically you're saying it's a combination of multiple factors, if I understand correctly? Like lots of things having to line up, which clearly didn't in the end?

Well, let's give them the time to get things in order and let's see how it turns out. I wouldn't be mad if they cancel XBO version and go back to the drawing board for some stuff. As much as I would hate someone to put this pressure on me, this Halo has to be perfect.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
MS is probably going to address the way forward with infinite soon. I bet we'll hear about what the plan and release timeframe is within the next few weeks. While the game itself won't be there at launch, even a timeframe / information and a multiplayer flighting announcement would shift consoles imo...

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
Cutting off 55 million existing customers is a significant business decision.
I wonder how much would buy. Playstation had amazing games and there was a reason to buy the console, due to their exclusives. I'm starting to prefer by much Sony idea of only delivering next games. People will see Horizon Forbidden West (only PS5) and a limited Halo Infinite that could have bigger size, details, etc ... That demo looked current gen. If both do marketing, I guess more people will be impressed with that PS5 and tell mama and papa to buy that console and that game and less will be impressed with Halo Infinite (with that current state).
Sony in that way ends up having more costumers, more acessories, games, services sold. That's what happened with PS4.
If MS wants to do cross gen game, then they might sell more copies of game, but I don't expect to see more people buying an Xbox or playing it on PC/xCloud because of Halo Infinite.
They need to do only for XSX and then sell it will "most powerful console".

Status
Not open for further replies.