• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think if MS is smart the get matketing for the upcoming WB games. No crazy exclusive stuff. But i think its good to have one of the biggest superhero universes "associated" with your brand.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
What I hope we hear, just in general, is more about backwards compatibility of Xbox one games, because I think it would be convincing to an average gamer to see Jedi Fallen Order at a stable 60 fps. Or dark souls 3 at 60 fps with hdr or whatever. It could really be their ace in the hole. Even older 360 games could be up-FPS'ed with HDR according to their blog post. I want to see more of that but I have a feeling that won't be shown and instead it'll be up to the community to raise awareness

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
What I hope we hear, just in general, is more about backwards compatibility of Xbox one games, because I think it would be convincing to an average gamer to see Jedi Fallen Order at a stable 60 fps. Or dark souls 3 at 60 fps with hdr or whatever. It could really be their ace in the hole. Even older 360 games could be up-FPS'ed with HDR according to their blog post. I want to see more of that but I have a feeling that won't be shown and instead it'll be up to the community to raise awareness

Jedi: Fallen Order already has a performance mode, so that should run at a locked 60fps on the Series X. But you are right about getting more information about enhancements for backwards compatible titles. Microsoft has already stated some will not only get a res boost but a frame rate boost as well, so it will be interesting to find out what these games are.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Am I missing something in there?
John seems not to be talking about toxic console warriors, while Albert does.
I'm pretty sure DF have been called MS' PR lackeys for suggesting XSX might perform better than PS5. I just can imagine the shit they'll get once the first comparisons will start coming in, if Xbox will really bring meaningful improvements over PS5.

And btw, it was the same at the start of current gen. I remember some very toxic Xbox fanboys calling out DF for being paid by Sony because they were showing PS4 was the better hardware. Pfff.

I think if MS is smart the get matketing for the upcoming WB games. No crazy exclusive stuff. But i think its good to have one of the biggest superhero universes "associated" with your brand.
Getting marketing also means blocking the other side from getting exclusive content, so it's a double-win.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
If you look at the replies, it's fairly clear he's talking about console warriors. He even tells one to eff off :D
Oh jeez. Ok, yeah that's too bad. They should probably brace and just accept the hate that is going to come their way.

Microsoft doesn't have consoles to sale this holiday other than next gen. They've shut down producing current gen anyway. So there is no way they delay the consoles.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm pretty sure DF have been called MS' PR lackeys for suggesting XSX might perform better than PS5. I just can imagine the shit they'll get once the first comparisons will start coming in, if Xbox will really bring meaningful improvements over PS5.

And btw, it was the same at the start of current gen. I remember some very toxic Xbox fanboys calling out DF for being paid by Sony because they were showing PS4 was the better hardware. Pfff.

Getting marketing also means blocking the other side from getting exclusive content, so it's a double-win.
In new games, I think it's possible it's going to be really close. But for older games, what if the difference is doubling the fps? That's the more interesting thing to me. What does that back compat look like, do people care? I'm excited to see how things shake out. I have no idea how things will pan out

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019
Not to mention they skipped an OT.
Hah, yeah, they skipped OT 3 the first year Sony wasn't at E3, they went straight to 4 and the title was like "were skipping 3!" it was pretty funny I thought. I don't know if they ever adjusted their numbering after that, but I don't think they did, so I'm pretty sure we're both on our 11th thread.
Yes, they skipped OT 3, but then they were "forced" to have OT 5 & OT5 Part II. Some people on this thread claimed skipping OT 3 made PS5 look more popular than It is.

No pun intented. Good day

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If you guys are talking about Xcloud it's not. The only Surface it will work on is Duo because it's Android.
It's not available yet. It's in private testing. The private test works on Surface.

www.windowscentral.com

Hands-on with Microsoft's Project xCloud Xbox streaming app for Windows

Recently, we got our hands on the Project xCloud Xbox Game Streaming test app, offering us a glimpse at how the service works on PCs. As you might expect, it's gooooooood.
Oh man, my excitement went sky high and crashed in a matter of seconds lol. Fingers crossed it gets a public beta soon then.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yes, they skipped OT 3, but then they were "forced" to have OT 5 & OT5 Part II. Some people on this thread claimed skipping OT 3 made PS5 look more popular than It is.

No pun intented. Good day

Ahh, that's unfortunate that they were forced to do the 5 and 5 part 2, I thought they'd just decided to do it on their own. Either way, they have some posts and we have some posts.

Jan 4, 2018

Yeah they should get Batman.

Marketing rights + day one on Gamepass.

I loved these old Gamepass ads with Batman on it.

3672667-gamepass.jpg

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm excited to see reviews of the Surface Duo, especially in regards to gaming and game streaming. I know in an old video they briefly showed off the one screen controls capability, but I wonder how robust that will be, especially since they didn't show it at all in the release date video, just showed the phone weirdly clipped on to a controller.

If it works well with XCloud it'll be tempting, except that the phone is really... stumpy, even unfolded it's wider and shorter than any "large" phone on the market. The thing is built like Dany Devito and I've not got large hands. Even if the controls work well with XCloud the size will give me pause, if the controls work well with XCloud and native games or streaming apps I'll probably be able to look past the size.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

They got a lot of shit for being positive about Gears 5, as well. I'm sure they get a load of shit from all sides :(

Oh jeez. Ok, yeah that's too bad. They should probably brace and just accept the hate that is going to come their way.

It's just so dumb. They put out entertaining, informative videos, and fanboys of all stripes call them PR for the 'team' they don't like.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
www.pcgamesn.com

Grounded’s first major update launches this month

Monthly updates are coming to Grounded, and Obsidian's got a few hints about what's in store

giphy.gif

CostlyOccasionalAfricanporcupine-size_restricted.gif

Spiders and now mosquistos... It just needs some centipedes and wasps too and we're done. This backyard is going to become pure hell on earth lol.

This game has such a potential, I'm glad it will have monthly updates.

I hope we get to see some wildlife fights. Front row seating to see a mosquito and a Spider duke it out.

Saw someone on twitter asking for rats/mice. They've got to be Nuts.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
The Playstation one? I didn't know that!

Albert Penello actually commented on this on Twitter yesterday in response to John Linneman saying this is the worst ever lead-up to a next-gen PS/Xbox launch.

He said the toxicity is always at its worst the 3-6 months up until launch of the consoles, where people go full warrior-mode, and then after that they usually chill out when they start playing games.

See below:

Just to be fair - I said it was no worse this time than last time - in some ways I think people are more used to social media and there is a lot less skullduggery going on (e.g. MrX media on one side, cboat on the other). In addition, while I know Era takes it's hits I find it much less tolerant of BS and much more fair moderation than the old site which helps a lot. Xbox fans forget sometimes that there are, globally, at least 2x the number of PS fans and so they are always going to be the underdog. John is seeing it because he's more vocal and has a bigger following. From my seat, it's about the same.

I also don't think one side is worse than the other. I think both platforms have their dark side fandom. But as above, if you're going to have 2x the number of proponents you're probably also going to have 2x the number of vocal warriors.

So, do think there is a lot of console warrioring going on? Sure. I think it follows a clear pattern and in this period before launch, people are campaigning for their candidate.

The reason I'm more quiet these days is that people are on edge. I'd love to chime in more, but even when I thought I was making reasoned comments yesterday on the board got people spun up. All this debate about tflops, SSD performance, variable vs. fixed clocks etc. will be answered soon enough when the games start coming out and then we can get back to normal.

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Note: This has been posted to both Xbox and PlayStation community OTs.

Recently there has been an increase in inter-community sniping and general meta commentary about the gaming forum. Complaints regarding it have continued to increase and the threads are both being made increasingly unpleasant by a minority of users who think it's acceptable to retreat to the safety of their community OT to gloat or antagonise other members/communities from afar. This is unwanted by the vast majority of our members and it needs to stop now. In the interests of community cohesion such posts will be moderated harshly from now on.

Bless you. This has become "The chat" for Xbox talk, which is a great thing except we are pre-console launch and people are going bananas.

Also Albert Penello , now that you are outside Xbox is there anything in the leadup to this new generation that you wish console makers where doing different in terms of messaging?

Also with Halo off the table for launch, what would YOU be personally be looking into to "save" Xbox? (I don't think it needs saving but it certainly needs something)

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
Yeah they should get Batman.

Marketing rights + day one on Gamepass.

I loved these old Gamepass ads with Batman on it.

3672667-gamepass.jpg

I dont remember where, but I thought I read that Microsoft secured something for Gamepass that will make the halo pill easier to swallow. I'm definitely keeping my eyes on fandoms.

( sorry if this has been discussed).

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Just to be fair - I said it was no worse this time than last time - in some ways I think people are more used to social media and there is a lot less skullduggery going on (e.g. MrX media on one side, cboat on the other). In addition, while I know Era takes it's hit's I find it much less tolerant of BS and much more fair moderation than the old site which helps a lot. Xbox fans forget sometimes that there are, globally, at least 2x the number of PS fans and so they are always going to be the underdog. John is seeing it because he's more vocal and has a bigger following. From my seat, it's about the same.

I also don't think one side is worse than the other. I think both platforms have their dark side fandom. But as above, if you're going to have 2x the number of proponents you're probably also going to have 2x the number of vocal warriors.

So do think there is a lot of console warrioring going on? Sure. I think it follows a clear pattern and and in this period before launch, people are campaigning for their candidate.

The reason I'm more quiet these days is that people are on edge. I'd love to chime in more, but even when I thought I was making reasoned comments yesterday on the board got people spun up. All this debate about tflops, SSD performance, variable vs. fixed clocks etc. will be answered soon enough when the games start coming out and then we can get back to normal.

I'm more with Vulture on this who does the Worst Dedicated Fanbase brackets, there is something to be said about different products/people attracting different types of fans and it can't all be down to numbers. Or more accurately like Vulture's thing is named, different things have different dedicated fans or "fanboys", whatever.

I agree with the tweet that things are always bad and calm down to a certain extend and that this cycle is not much different.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Just to be fair - I said it was no worse this time than last time - in some ways I think people are more used to social media and there is a lot less skullduggery going on (e.g. MrX media on one side, cboat on the other). In addition, while I know Era takes it's hit's I find it much less tolerant of BS and much more fair moderation than the old site which helps a lot. Xbox fans forget sometimes that there are, globally, at least 2x the number of PS fans and so they are always going to be the underdog. John is seeing it because he's more vocal and has a bigger following. From my seat, it's about the same.

So do think there is a lot of console warrioring going on? Sure. I think it follows a clear pattern and and in this period before launch, people are campaigning for their candidate.

To be fair, we've been predicting a return to normalcy for months now. I think people keep trying to hold to old patterns, in the midst of societal and personal transformations that are putting all of us on edge. I'm sure the experience of the toxicity is real bad when you're in the middle of it all, and you're forced to put on a brave face and just smile through it all (however does Phil do it). That said, while I certainly can't comment on any differences in quantity or quality of fanboying or toxicity or whatever, I think it's also ok to say that it's not surprising that this is the worst console launch experience for any number of reasons, including the absolute crap mood that the entire community is in right now that has gotten taken out on the bystanders. We've all been kind of down for half a year or more now. Even the games are kind of depressing and brutal lately.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020

Thanks for chiming in! Your reasoning is absolutely on point - if anyone has convinced themselves that one "side" has more toxic fans than the other, I think what they're really seeing is that Playstation just has a large following and in this console lead up, where things are extra heated as you mentioned, it becomes more apparent.

I definitely can't wait until these things launch, because I do find the dialogue around gaming lately has been a little too combative and not about things that make us happy/excited. It has kind of pushed me from being as involved as I would have been.

Thank god my Montreal Canadiens are in the playoffs is all I can say :)

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Right? I didn't realise it was so soon until I started writing that post.

Is it unprecedented to be so close to a hardware release with no price? I can't remember for last gen(s).
Yeah, we're crazy close and yet here we still are none the wiser. I don't think there ever has been. At this point we may as well expect another Saturn style announcment. The XSX and Ps5 available...now actually, the cashier will let you know how much lol.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
I'm more with Vulture on this who does the Worst Dedicated Fanbase brackets, there is something to be said about different products/people attracting different types of fans and it can't all be down to numbers. Or more accurately like Vulture's thing is named, different things have different dedicated fans or "fanboys", whatever.

I agree with the tweet that things are always bad and calm down to a certain extend and that this cycle is not much different.
Gotta say.. as someone who is a sports fan, video games fan, and a fan of many other pastimes... I'd like to safely say that as a whole, gaming can have the worst toxicity per capita compared to any other type of fanbase. Let alone which platform they game on.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just to be fair - I said it was no worse this time than last time - in some ways I think people are more used to social media and there is a lot less skullduggery going on (e.g. MrX media on one side, cboat on the other). .
Oh man. I'm guessing you're too diplomatic to answer but how aware were you all of misterxmedia et al and what did you make of him back then?

And did you ever track down ntkrnl in real life?

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Gotta say.. as someone who is a sports fan, video games fan, and a fan of many other pastimes... I'd like to safely say that as a whole, gaming can have the worst toxicity per capita compared to any other type of fanbase. Let alone which platform they game on.
Maybe it's because I just read a story about Dallas soccer fans booing kneeling players on their team that I can't even come close to agreeing with this. At the same time, in different cities/sports that wouldn't have happened. Which goes back to my not all fanbases are equally toxic point.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Oh man. I'm guessing you're too diplomatic to answer but how aware were you all of misterxmedia et al and what did you make of him back then?

And did you ever track down ntkrnl in real life?

So I never concerned myself too much with Misterxmedia as his claims were so outlandish it surprised me people believed any of it. My only take there was just to say it wasn't true (a fact forgotten when people want to say I was just a shill and a liar.). I think that person/account still posts doesn't it?

I do know the whole story behind ntkrnl and, unfortunately, it's not something I can ever share for legal reasons. That's not to be a tease or anything but that was a very, very interesting situation.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017

I feel we have so less information that things are calm in a away when we have actual impressions and footage things will get into insane territory again and just wait for the first multiplatform titles...

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I never concerned myself too much with Misterxmedia as his claims were so outlandish it surprised me people believed any of it. My only take there was just to say it wasn't true (a fact forgotten when people want to say I was just a shill and a liar.). I think that person/account still posts doesn't it?

I do know the whole story behind ntkrnl and, unfortunately, it's not something I can ever share for legal reasons. That's not to be a tease or anything but that was a very, very interesting situation.
Totally fair and thanks for the reply. I worked at MS at the time, nowhere near xbox org but it still felt so frustrating to see those leaks. Thanks for posting here still, I really appreciate your analysis and insights. I think misterx is still around... Come on when will you be enabling that hidden gpu??

Status
Not open for further replies.