• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So, what's the ultimate plan for xcloud?

Right now we have mobile android beta, with confirmed upgrades to 1080p coming.

It's easy to assume, but have we heard through official channels the goal is to have it on browsers, PCs and console?

When can we expect to utilize streaming on PC? Are they testing it?

I have so many questions. Seems like it's taking forever to find out more info.
the ultimate plan for Xcloud is to get it everywhere. If Covid wasn't a big enough road block Apple made sure to build one too

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
MS isn't new to bringing out new controllers during a generation. Do you think they will incorporate gyro/motion if flick stick takes off?

It's insane to me that it's been two whole generations since motion was introduced in gaming and the adoption rate for titles and even console manufacturers is still too low. Especially now that it's clear that it will stay.
I Really hope so, i would love to go back to using an xbox controller on PC.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
MS still needs Halo ASAP though. Maybe their new target is a Spring or early Summer release and they still need all hands on deck.

Though I guess that some people could go back on developping Forza now that the November deadline no longer exists (if Turn 10 was really helping 343).

I don't know if Forza could have been a launch title. In the last Forza Monthly, they said that they started production in August 2019 or later (Iirc).

After taking the hit by delaying Halo, I hope they would delay it at least to summer and benefit as much as possible from the situation.

So, what's the ultimate plan for xcloud?

Right now we have mobile android beta, with confirmed upgrades to 1080p coming.

It's easy to assume, but have we heard through official channels the goal is to have it on browsers, PCs and console?

When can we expect to utilize streaming on PC? Are they testing it?

I have so many questions. Seems like it's taking forever to find out more info.

We know they are testing the PC app internally, Windows Central had an article about it. As to browsers, I don't remember if they've explicitly said it's in the plan or not.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
After taking the hit by delaying Halo, I hope they would delay it at least to summer and benefit as much as possible from the situation.

We know they are testing the PC app internally, Windows Central had an article about it. As to browsers, I don't remember if they've explicitly said it's in the plan or not.
Awesome, good to know there's some concrete testing.
At this point with ios off the table my goal is just to bring around my laptop and use that. So many games I could be playing on the go... but I need MY library and gamepass to work.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I remember the Medium thing. He said it, then within a few hours quoted the post and said it was a lie that he'd posted to test a source. I can't remember if he revealed it as false before the developer commented on it, but it was pretty quick.

Im not saying Dusk is the source of truth for sure, honestly at this point I'm not saying anything other than a timeline about him.

Yeah, that was the thing, thank you. It's a bit suspicious if you ask me, because it sounded more like damage control than anything else. I will still give him the benefit of the doubt. That's why I trust everything he says regarding RE or Capcom, but not sure if he has any other legit sources outside of that.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
About the release of Halo, my gut says May. I sort of wish they followed what my boi John said on DF and delay it a year and cancel the Xbox One version to get rid of those restraints. That is just my opinion though, I want them to polish the game as much as possible.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Awesome, good to know there's some concrete testing.
At this point with ios off the table my goal is just to bring around my laptop and use that. So many games I could be playing on the go... but I need MY library and gamepass to work.

Yeah same, I'm thinking my Surface Pro will be by far the best way to use xCloud, the kickstand is perfect and the bigger screen of course.

I've tried it with the phone and it's... Ok. Like the service is amazing but the experience is meh. The screen is small, and attaching it to the controller just feels wonky to me.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
Yeah same, I'm thinking my Surface Pro will be by far the best way to use xCloud, the kickstand is perfect and the bigger screen of course.

I've tried it with the phone and it's... Ok. Like the service is amazing but the experience is meh. The screen is small, and attaching it to the controller just feels wonky to me.
I thought I heard it wouldn't work on Surface

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I Really hope so, i would love to go back to using an xbox controller on PC.

I could even see them doing that for their elite line only when they another iteration.
Crossplay will only get bigger this generation and should PS5 provide an advantage to players by allowing a better control choice on their hardware, there pretty much has to be a response from MS - should it be adapted by CoD, Fortnite, PUBG and the other usual suspects.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Note: This has been posted to both Xbox and PlayStation community OTs.

Recently there has been an increase in inter-community sniping and general meta commentary about the gaming forum. Complaints regarding it have continued to increase and the threads are both being made increasingly unpleasant by a minority of users who think it's acceptable to retreat to the safety of their community OT to gloat or antagonise other members/communities from afar. This is unwanted by the vast majority of our members and it needs to stop now. In the interests of community cohesion such posts will be moderated harshly from now on.

dotnetguy

Jul 12, 2020
I can wait a bit longer for XSX and XSS pricing. But I really hope it's early rather than late September. XSX is rumoured to be launching just 12 weeks from now! They're cutting it incredibly fine for pre-orders.

TornRaptor

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Australia
Official Staff Communication

Note: This has been posted to both Xbox and PlayStation community OTs.

Recently there has been an increase in inter-community sniping and general meta commentary about the gaming forum. Complaints regarding it have continued to increase and the threads are both being made increasingly unpleasant by a minority of users who think it's acceptable to retreat to the safety of their community OT to gloat or antagonise other members/communities from afar. This is unwanted by the vast majority of our members and it needs to stop now. In the interests of community cohesion such posts will be moderated harshly from now on.
You're a good bear

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
User Banned (3 Days) - Ignoring staff post
So if someone could get banned for "platform warring" on this forum,how is all the accounts that constantly hate on Xbox on this forum still having their accounts...that most he a joke right...if platform warrin banning was a thing in this forum,this forum would be closed down...from what I have seen that kind of banned is selectively applied

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So I've finally decided to play through the Halo series for the first time.
What order would be the best way to experience it all?

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

Chronological order would be Reach, CE, 2, 3, 4, 5 (and then you can slot ODST in between 2 and 3, as it kind of takes place during both, but the event that begins it happens partway through 2).

Release order would have Reach between 3 and 4 and might feel better from a gameplay progression stand point (it may be hard for some to go straight from 2010's Reach to 2001's CE).

If you want to add in the RTS games, Halo Wars 1 takes place before any of the above, and Wars 2 shortly after Halo 5.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

I recently replayed through them all in almost release order except saving Reach until last. I'd recommend that.

You get a nice feeling for how the game has progressed and evolved over the years, but 5 probably is the weakest of the campaigns, so it's nice not to end on that.

Reach was Bungie's last campaign and is an immediate prequel to CE so it tied the experience up nicely.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone help me with my xcloud streaming? I'm at a loss as to why I hear so many positive experiences yet I'm not having any. I tried the beta on my phone (S20 +) a few months back, as well as managing to get it on my shield, visually things looked fine but the sound kept cutting and the lag was really noticeable. I played FH4, Gears 5 etc and had similar experiences. My shield is wired with 108 download and about 6 upload. Phone is wireless with similar speeds. On to the "beta" for ultimate subscribers I'm having the exact same experience. It looks fine but the sound and latency is all over the place. What could be causing it? I'm sat about 5 foot from the router also (5ghz network)

Glass

Oct 26, 2017

Whether it's Halo or something like Star Wars , I always say release order . It's the order the game makers are expecting you to have experienced it in.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help me with my xcloud streaming? I'm at a loss as to why I hear so many positive experiences yet I'm not having any. I tried the beta on my phone (S20 +) a few months back, as well as managing to get it on my shield, visually things looked fine but the sound kept cutting and the lag was really noticeable. I played FH4, Gears 5 etc and had similar experiences. My shield is wired with 108 download and about 6 upload. Phone is wireless with similar speeds. On to the "beta" for ultimate subscribers I'm having the exact same experience. It looks fine but the sound and latency is all over the place. What could be causing it? I'm sat about 5 foot from the router also (5ghz network)
Find the nearest Azure datacenter, and start walking towards it. (hope that it has xCloud servers in it.)

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
Don't know if this is against rules, but ...
In case there's a big visual difference between Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 (in 3rd party games), then Xbox/Microsoft should do a strong marketing around it*. Same for Sony in case of Playstation 5 loading times.

like making Watch Dogs Legion or Cyberpunk 2077 official trailer for all platforms and in the end say "play better on Xbox Series X".

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I can wait a bit longer for XSX and XSS pricing. But I really hope it's early rather than late September. XSX is rumoured to be launching just 12 weeks from now! They're cutting it incredibly fine for pre-orders.
It's so crazy to think that we're only 12 weeks away and still know so little.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if this is against rules, but ...
In case there's a big visual difference between Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 (in 3rd party games), then Xbox/Microsoft should do a strong marketing around it*. Same for Sony in case of Playstation 5 loading times.

like making Watch Dogs Legion or Cyberpunk 2077 official trailer for all platforms and in the end say "play better on Xbox Series X".
I mean that is what they are already doing with the XOX marketing isn't it? Plays best on Xbox is something I swear I have heard.

LewLew

Jul 21, 2020
I wonder if they're going to announce a halo beta this holiday as another insensitive, maybe even give series x/s users early access to the test, maybe even launch the multiplayer separately depending how much further along in development it is

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Not to mention they skipped an OT.
The Playstation one? I didn't know that!
I think it has to do with the fact that we have a LOT of insiders posting in the OT, which makes it super interesting (even if they are not leaking anything). Most of the time is a great learning environment and free of drama (it has suffered in that aspect the last few months because of the world situation I guess, people are on the edge of their toes when it comes to plastic boxes and online forums).
Albert Penello actually commented on this on Twitter yesterday in response to John Linneman saying this is the worst ever lead-up to a next-gen PS/Xbox launch.

He said the toxicity is always at its worst the 3-6 months up until launch of the consoles, where people go full warrior-mode, and then after that they usually chill out when they start playing games.

See below:

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Makes sense Alberts experience would have been the same last time. There was a lot of frustration with the product he was launching back then. It doesn't seem any worse to me either. But last time the PS4 was just a continuous train of good news. Where next gen news this time is frustratingly slow and not so universally positive for any platform.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Hah, yeah, they skipped OT 3 the first year Sony wasn't at E3, they went straight to 4 and the title was like "were skipping 3!" it was pretty funny I thought. I don't know if they ever adjusted their numbering after that, but I don't think they did, so I'm pretty sure we're both on our 11th thread.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have read they're working on utilising/updating browser specific apis for xCloud, i think it may have been Brad Sams that mentioned it.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Albert Penello actually commented on this on Twitter yesterday in response to John Linneman saying this is the worst ever lead-up to a next-gen PS/Xbox launch.

He said the toxicity is always at its worst the 3-6 months up until launch of the consoles, where people go full warrior-mode, and then after that they usually chill out when they start playing games.

See below:

Fascinating. Love the insights from those on the ground, much appreciated Albert Penello . I know its know its tough for you guys especially.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
Am I missing something in there?
John seems not to be talking about toxic console warriors, while Albert does.

I agree with both tbh, this is the worst lead up to a next generation and it sucks hard, but I don't think that fanboys are more toxic than usual (which is still sad).
Yeah I agree. John seems to be talking about the lack of news, current world situation, etc. I didn't get the sense he was talking about console warrior stuff.

This stalemate with Sony and Microsoft really does need to end though. It's killing excitement on both sides in my opinion.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Yeah I agree. John seems to be talking about the lack of news, current world situation, etc. I didn't get the sense he was talking about console warrior stuff.

This stalemate with Sony and Microsoft really does need to end though. It's killing excitement on both sides in my opinion.

If you look at the replies, it's fairly clear he's talking about console warriors. He even tells one to eff off :D

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I hope we get more Xbox news soon, even if it isn't the pricing announcement we all want. At this point I need to know the surefire launch lineup for the Series X to make my final next-gen decision in terms of day one consoles. Some more Game Pass news would definitely sweeten the pot.

I'm either getting a Series X and waiting for a price drop/bigger SSD on PS5, or getting PS5 and picking up the Series X when Halo launches.

It's a tough decision and it drives me mad that I don't have the data need (or pre-orders) in August!

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
We getting anything from Xbox this month though? I know grub said something was pushed to September, but is that everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.