• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2018
I really wish they released Fable Legends...I played the closed beta and loved my time. Definitely had a lot of potential, I honestly think it would have had a Sea of Thieves type trajectory...sad
From what I remember, very rarely did anyone want to play the villain side. It was boring and frustrating.

The hero co-op side was quite fun. If they had just accepted that early on and made a co-op adventure game instead of this weird 4v1 game, I bet it could have turned out well.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
That is true, but from what I found, Leamington Spa is 86% white and England 81%. I believe PlayGround mostly hires from the local talent pool compared to studios such as Ubisoft and 343 who hire from global pools, so that may partially explain it. Still, an effort should definitely be made on Playground and MS's part.

Diversity Team manager under pressure :)
in all seriousness i'm sure efforts are being made.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They don't really need too, push game pass and release steam at another date. The sells will still be there just look at sea of thieves
I am not going to play on Steam or PC but just from friends who do absolutely hate the Windows store. The sales on Steam right now kind of show just how much people would rather buy it on Steam than even deal with Gamepass and the Windows store. Halo needs a huge win and I just think getting it in as many hands as possible on launch is the key to its success.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im catching up on Xbox stuff that I missed

why did ninja gaiden 3 get so much worse reviews than 1 or 2, what did it do so wrong that made score that much lower, it's just hard to believe they could have messed it up that much

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
From what I remember, very rarely did anyone want to play the villain side. It was boring and frustrating.

The hero co-op side was quite fun. If they had just accepted that early on and made a co-op adventure game instead of this weird 4v1 game, I bet it could have turned out well.
I could see that, I played once or twice as villain and while it was fun, it definitely wasn't the best. I guess, I just look at that game and think "They canceled the entire game that close to launch and closed the studio, yet Crackdown 3 was released after years of development..."

I know it was different leadership and so on, but it's sad that Fable Legends never got a chance to adapt and so on. Making it a co-op adventure would have been a great solution.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Reading through the article on Xbox news in regards to Asobo and their tech that made MFS2020 possible it just seems like a missed opportunity if MS does not aquire them at this point. A perfect 2 game studio working on Action/adventure game and MSFS2020 much like Playground games.

Adding to that it would also be a missed opportunity to not aquire Bloober team. I am not really interested in horror games but I did play Layers of fear 1 and Blair witch and the growth between those titles is clear. They also seem to be experts in pushing out games in a higher rate then most. Also the fact that they are located in Poland is a huge plus as all of MS current studios are located in the US and UK. (Except for Mojang). Going a bit more global will def help with mindshare in Europe. Same goes for Asobo (France). I think it would be pretty cool if they can find another studio in Poland besides Bloober tho. Having a small hub there seems logical.

Lastly their precence in Asia and perticularly Japan seems like a hard one to crack. Maybe try and start a studio there rather then buying one. Or maybe buying a small one with the intention to grow.

With Asia in mind it might not be a super bad idea to look at South Korea. XCloud seems to have done quite well over there and maybe there is a couple of studios there that could fit well into the portfolio. If anything else building a precence in that market seems smart but China I think we can just forget. Tencent owns China and doing anything over there is prob not worth it.
You're forgetting Complusion Games from Montreal... they're Canadian! See? Xbox Game Studios is VERY international ;)

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it has been shared here yet, but there's a poll on IGN about what rumored games are people most looking forward to at the XGS show and here are the results:

screenshot2020-07-13abtj4r.png

It's especially funny when you consider all the people who said "Fable means nothing to non Xbox fans" lol

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Not sure if it has been shared here yet, but there's a poll on IGN about what rumored games are people most looking forward to at the XGS show and here are the results:

screenshot2020-07-13abtj4r.png

It's especially funny when you consider all the people who said "Fable means nothing to non Xbox fans" lol

I'm really not surprised. It's anecdotal of course, but when talking to various people around me over the years ("casual" gamers or enthusiasts - although not as hardcore as ERA bubble of course) I've always had the impression Fable is/was a very, very popular franchise.

Just my two cents, but I really don't think the fact that Fable 3 was a bit disappointing (just a bit yes, its supposed mediocrity is extremely exaggerated imo) or that The Journey was a gimmicky Kinect game ever hurt the Fable name at all. People who fell in love with Albion in Fable 1 and/or Fable 2 are just eager to jump in again, and that's perfectly understandable. There is nothing like it.

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft did confirm every one of their games is coming to Steam on release. Although Flight Sim is missing... lol

Not if they are pushing game pass, we will have to see in 10 days

What's up with this narrative? Gears 5 came out day one on Steam. Gears Tactics did. Ori 2 did. The only games missing are Minecraft Dungeons, because it's Minecraft, and Flight Sim which still hasn't been confirmed.

Oct 25, 2017
And Dungeons. Wich i get more. But FS2020 i do not.
To be fair i am scared now for Halo Infinite.

Yeah, i didn't include Dungeons because it's Minecraft. But Flight Sim missing is weird as fuck, especially given it's PC-centric nature and how well Sea of Thieves did on Steam.

I can't imagine Halo Infinite missing Steam on launch given Halo MCC's stellar performance, but who knows...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, i didn't include Dungeons because it's Minecraft. But Flight Sim missing is weird as fuck, especially given it's PC-centric nature and how well Sea of Thieves did on Steam.

I can't imagine Halo Infinite missing Steam on launch given Halo MCC's stellar performance, but who knows...
Maybe they think. If a game has enough hype. It will push people to the ms store and gamepass. Because they really want to play it and drop waiting for steam version. Wich would be a big mistake imo.

Oct 19, 2018
0b301e8197a5e11b4dbb9b66193b5b8b65e87407.png

The Xbox Games Showcase begins in just 240 hours; in the lead up to the event we are looking at what to expect from each first party studio - today we look at Mojang Studios.

In the early years of the Xbox One there were a lot of missteps made by Xbox management, the $2.5 billion dollars spent to acquire Mojang and Minecraft was not one of them. Phil Spencer saw what Minecraft was and could become but had to wait until 2014 to bring them under the MS umbrella; years earlier he was unable to persuade his bosses at the time to purchase them at what would've certainly been a cheaper price tag. Now six years on from that decision even that $2.5 billion seems like a bargain as they've seen the brand turn into one of the biggest success stories of the decade. While constantly working on Minecraft proper the studios do work on other projects, recently releasing Minecraft Earth in 2019 on mobile and Minecraft Dungeons just a few months ago on PC and consoles.

Firstly, Mojang Studios is and will continue to work on Minecraft. Seeing as we are entering a new generation, the first with Minecraft fully under Xbox control, there is going to be a big Series X/S update - but what will it include? The long anticipated Super Duper Graphics pack that would've given the game a huge visual boost was canned in 2019. At around the exact same time we saw some of the first demos of a brilliantly ray-traced version of the game, which we've since seen running on the Series X, though that may have just been to show off the potential of the hardware. While a visual upgrade is all but guaranteed, there will likely be some new content akin to the Update Aquatic to pair alongside it and really usher in the next generation of Minecraft. That isn't all that's cooking though, as their recent re-branding announcement stated that following Minecraft Earth and Minecraft Dungeons they were planning a feature film, epic live show, and even playing with ideas for brand new games. For the purpose of this series, let's overlook the film and live show and focus on the games and what those could be. As Matt Booty recently stated in one of his interviews with gamesindustry.biz, he believes their franchise dedicated studios can work within their universes to explore new game ideas rather than having to break out and create something brand new - though he didn't flatly rule out that possibility if a studio wanted to. Minecraft, like Lego or Mario, is a perfect universe for this approach as a spin-off game could come from almost any genre. As a result, this makes predicting the ideas they are playing around with almost impossible, though its comforting to know they are continuing to experiment.

So how does Mojang Studios fit into the Showcase? While Minecraft is a gaming institution at this point, what can they show that would fit in with a bunch of game announcements highlighting the new generation? Is a ray-tracing demo impressive enough? Is that something that could be shown off without making users on Playstation and Nintendo feel like they're missing out if its a feature exclusive to Xbox? Does that even matter, or would that be the point? While Phil clearly wants everyone to be able to play Minecraft, he would obviously prefer for the majority of those players to do so on Xbox. For that reason I get the feeling we will see a Series X update shown off at the Showcase despite its status as an older game. As for the other ideas they're kicking around, I bet we won't see them until X021 or E3 2022.

Do you expect to see Mojang Studios at the Showcase - If so, what are your hopes? If not, why and when will we see them next?

- 240 Hours Remain -

*If I forget anything or the wording/information is off, feel free to let me know in a post or DM and I'll edit it in; same goes for things you may think I'm unaware of for studios I've yet to post. I try to keep track of everything, but I may lose sight of some smaller things and rumors so all resources are appreciated!

Click the image below to see the posts for each studio that has been revealed so far - (let me know if this is too annoying, and studio names with hotlinks are better)
World's Edge The Coalition inXile Entertainment Compulsion Games Undead Labs

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Has 343 announced when MCC is going to have crossplay between xbox and pc?

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Microsoft did confirm every one of their games is coming to Steam on release. Although Flight Sim is missing... lol

What's up with this narrative? Gears 5 came out day one on Steam. Gears Tactics did. Ori 2 did. The only games missing are Minecraft Dungeons, because it's Minecraft, and Flight Sim which still hasn't been confirmed.

Unless I missed something, Spencer actually said it is their "intent" to. Which, as you pointed out, they've been pretty good at, but there's no guarantee they'll always be launching on Steam. Here's exactly what Phil said:

"As the creators of Windows, we have a unique responsibility to ensure we're investing in experiences that benefit players everywhere, while respecting the PC community's preference for an open, highly customizable platform. We've not always lived up to our aspiration of keeping gamers at the center of everything we do when it comes to the experience they've had on Windows…

Our intent is to make our Xbox Game Studios PC games available in multiple stores, including our own Microsoft Store on Windows, at their launch. We believe you should have choice in where you buy your PC games."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3398980/microsoft-xbox-one-exclusives-are-coming-to-steam.html

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I missed something, Spencer actually said it is their "intent" to. Which, as you pointed out, they've been pretty good at, but there's no guarantee they'll always be launching on Steam. Here's exactly what Phil said:

"As the creators of Windows, we have a unique responsibility to ensure we're investing in experiences that benefit players everywhere, while respecting the PC community's preference for an open, highly customizable platform. We've not always lived up to our aspiration of keeping gamers at the center of everything we do when it comes to the experience they've had on Windows…

Our intent is to make our Xbox Game Studios PC games available in multiple stores, including our own Microsoft Store on Windows, at their launch. We believe you should have choice in where you buy your PC games."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3398980/microsoft-xbox-one-exclusives-are-coming-to-steam.html

Fair enough. Still a stupid choice given how Steam would help a game like Flight Sim thrive. Wonder if they'll through with stupid shit like this with AOE4 too, considering that Steam is what brought Age of Empires back to the spotlight.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I'm really not surprised. It's anecdotal of course, but when talking to various people around me over the years ("casual" gamers or enthusiasts - although not as hardcore as ERA bubble of course) I've always had the impression Fable is/was a very, very popular franchise.

Just my two cents, but I really don't think the fact that Fable 3 was a bit disappointing (just a bit yes, its supposed mediocrity is extremely exaggerated imo) or that The Journey was a gimmicky Kinect game ever hurt the Fable name at all. People who fell in love with Albion in Fable 1 and/or Fable 2 are just eager to jump in again, and that's perfectly understandable. There is nothing like it.

I struggle to understand it honestly. Era loves to love flawed games or janky games that are trying to "do something."

Fable 3 is the most disliked by far. Which I understand. But I also think the King mechanic and the limited resources, asymmetrical access to information that forces you to make some tough decisions (assuming you didn't break the economy) was insightful and forced you to operate in shades of grey.

I get the issues with Molyneux but come on. Is it because it isn't edgy enough? Doesn't go for a realistic art style? Too mainstream?

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary

This is the official statement, everything else is just speculation. Of course, there is a big chance Halo: Infinite is coming to Steam.

news.xbox.com

Our Approach to PC Gaming - Xbox Wire

We believe the player should be at the center of their gaming experience and be able to harness the unique benefits of the devices they choose to play on. Nowhere is that belief more important than on the PC. As the creators of Windows, we have a unique responsibility to ensure we’re investing...

In March, we announced that Halo: The Master Chief Collection will come to PC later this year, launching on Steam in addition to the Microsoft Store on Windows. We will continue to add to the more than 20 Xbox Game Studios titles on Steam, starting with Gears 5 and all Age of Empires I, II & III: Definitive Editions. We know millions of PC gamers trust Steam as a great source to buy PC games and we've heard the feedback that PC gamers would like choice. We also know that there are other stores on PC, and we are working to enable more choice in which store you can find our Xbox Game Studios titles in the future.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Flight Sim is so impressive that I hope they feature it again on july 23rd. More people should see that impressive game!

Push

Jun 2, 2018
Is Timdog a reliable source, as he's hinting that the Warner Bros. deal is done...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to get into too much, particularly with our showcase coming up, in terms of what The Initiative is doing. But I'll just say that obviously we spent a lot of time talking with them and reviewing and seeing what's going on. I think people are going to be pretty excited when we start to talk about what's going on there.

www.polygon.com

Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty on acquiring studios and planning for the future

‘I don’t mean this to be at all sarcastic, but... I don’t know what a Game Pass game is.’

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Safe to assume after MCC selling a few million that Infinite is more than likely coming to Steam, but yes, not confirmed

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Is Timdog a reliable source, as he's hinting that the Warner Bros. deal is done...
he may know things as he is friends with people but i would be 100% shocked if he knew anything about the wb deal even if it is done
we would have heard from more reliable people if true

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
0b301e8197a5e11b4dbb9b66193b5b8b65e87407.png

The Xbox Games Showcase begins in just 240 hours; in the lead up to the event we are looking at what to expect from each first party studio - today we look at Mojang Studios.

In the early years of the Xbox One there were a lot of missteps made by Xbox management, the $2.5 billion dollars spent to acquire Mojang and Minecraft was not one of them. Phil Spencer saw what Minecraft was and could become but had to wait until 2014 to bring them under the MS umbrella; years earlier he was unable to persuade his bosses at the time to purchase them at what would've certainly been a cheaper price tag. Now six years on from that decision even that $2.5 billion seems like a bargain as they've seen the brand turn into one of the biggest success stories of the decade. While constantly working on Minecraft proper the studios do work on other projects, recently releasing Minecraft Earth in 2019 on mobile and Minecraft Dungeons just a few months ago on PC and consoles.

Firstly, Mojang Studios is and will continue to work on Minecraft. Seeing as we are entering a new generation, the first with Minecraft fully under Xbox control, there is going to be a big Series X/S update - but what will it include? The long anticipated Super Duper Graphics pack that would've given the game a huge visual boost was canned in 2019. At around the exact same time we saw some of the first demos of a brilliantly ray-traced version of the game, which we've since seen running on the Series X, though that may have just been to show off the potential of the hardware. While a visual upgrade is all but guaranteed, there will likely be some new content akin to the Update Aquatic to pair alongside it and really usher in the next generation of Minecraft. That isn't all that's cooking though, as their recent re-branding announcement stated that following Minecraft Earth and Minecraft Dungeons they were planning a feature film, epic live show, and even playing with ideas for brand new games. For the purpose of this series, let's overlook the film and live show and focus on the games and what those could be. As Matt Booty recently stated in one of his interviews with gamesindustry.biz, he believes their franchise dedicated studios can work within their universes to explore new game ideas rather than having to break out and create something brand new - though he didn't flatly rule out that possibility if a studio wanted to. Minecraft, like Lego or Mario, is a perfect universe for this approach as a spin-off game could come from almost any genre. As a result, this makes predicting the ideas they are playing around with almost impossible, though its comforting to know they are continuing to experiment.

So how does Mojang Studios fit into the Showcase? While Minecraft is a gaming institution at this point, what can they show that would fit in with a bunch of game announcements highlighting the new generation? Is a ray-tracing demo impressive enough? Is that something that could be shown off without making users on Playstation and Nintendo feel like they're missing out if its a feature exclusive to Xbox? Does that even matter, or would that be the point? While Phil clearly wants everyone to be able to play Minecraft, he would obviously prefer for the majority of those players to do so on Xbox. For that reason I get the feeling we will see a Series X update shown off at the Showcase despite its status as an older game. As for the other ideas they're kicking around, I bet we won't see them until X021 or E3 2022.

Do you expect to see Mojang Studios at the Showcase - If so, what are your hopes? If not, why and when will we see them next?

- 240 Hours Remain -

*If I forget anything or the wording/information is off, feel free to let me know in a post or DM and I'll edit it in; same goes for things you may think I'm unaware of for studios I've yet to post. I try to keep track of everything, but I may lose sight of some smaller things and rumors so all resources are appreciated!

Click the image below to see the posts for each studio that has been revealed so far - (let me know if this is too annoying, and studio names with hotlinks are better)
World's Edge's Edge The Coalition inXile Entertainment Compulsion Games Undead Labs

I don't think you get enough praise for those great posts. I really like it :)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
FS2020 is a fascinating beast. It will probably be the best looking game on nextgen consoles by a Longshot. Yet, it won't get anywhere near a GOTY or critical acclaim that is usually directed at more cinematic offerings.

Also, for the longterm support of the Game, MS need to grab Asobo lol.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
And Dungeons. Wich i get more. But FS2020 i do not.
To be fair i am scared now for Halo Infinite.
I mean it would be weird to have the MCC on Steam and make a big deal about it, only to not release Infinite on Steam. They've spent the time building a Halo community there, it would be shitty to be like "Okay, now buy it on Windows Store" We'll see though.

Status
Not open for further replies.