• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
There's a lot to learn when flying. It's intense, detailed, a true sim, it's not just a matter of pulling the trigger like Ace Combat. Just taking off will require a lot of work.

That said, at the bare minimum, there will be Achievements to aim for.
I forgot what video I saw it in but I'm pretty sure they would have some form of mini missions in the game

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Yeah definitely don't except FS,Grounded,gears Tactics etc.. at July event.

Only new next gen sauce 👀

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not if they are pushing game pass, we will have to see in 10 days
Halo Infinite is already confirmed launching on Steam and any reversal of that with any of their major games going forward would go against everything they have been preaching. Especially when they are saying Gamepass drives sales of games

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I expect Gears Tactics will be there and will be a launch game for console. Short video, maybe part of a montage, but I could see them mentioning it just to have the Coalition accounted for at event.

Solnatt

Feb 16, 2020
Wait so is the event confirmed to be mostly next gen stuff only or what? If so then that is a tiny bit of a shame for other games I was looking forward to but all the power to the next gen i guess.

amphille

Mar 26, 2020
Reading through the article on Xbox news in regards to Asobo and their tech that made MFS2020 possible it just seems like a missed opportunity if MS does not aquire them at this point. A perfect 2 game studio working on Action/adventure game and MSFS2020 much like Playground games.

Adding to that it would also be a missed opportunity to not aquire Bloober team. I am not really interested in horror games but I did play Layers of fear 1 and Blair witch and the growth between those titles is clear. They also seem to be experts in pushing out games in a higher rate then most. Also the fact that they are located in Poland is a huge plus as all of MS current studios are located in the US and UK. (Except for Mojang). Going a bit more global will def help with mindshare in Europe. Same goes for Asobo (France). I think it would be pretty cool if they can find another studio in Poland besides Bloober tho. Having a small hub there seems logical.

Lastly their precence in Asia and perticularly Japan seems like a hard one to crack. Maybe try and start a studio there rather then buying one. Or maybe buying a small one with the intention to grow.

With Asia in mind it might not be a super bad idea to look at South Korea. XCloud seems to have done quite well over there and maybe there is a couple of studios there that could fit well into the portfolio. If anything else building a precence in that market seems smart but China I think we can just forget. Tencent owns China and doing anything over there is prob not worth it.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I wish Xbox would strike a deal with him to build his own studio from scratch, with an aim to have multiple teams. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were really good, MS just needed to keep at it to build those IP up, among some others, and show commitment to Japanese-made games.
Man, I really hope he gets another chance to make something of the scale of Final Fantasy/Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey/etc. then soon.

I have no clue what their relationship is like anymore, not sure how many of the people involved in the original deal are still at Microsoft, but injecting enough money to Mistwalker to grow in to a multi-project studio would seriously be a dream come true. They've already got an internal development studio doing all the work on Fantasian, so they've started to return to that more classic form, and every piece of their output from the 360 / Wii was great, RIP Cry On. I know people are going to say they're just a mobile studio now, and even Fantasian is a glorified iPhone game, but I encourage people to wait for its release.

Having Sakaguchi on the Xbox team would also be a great way in to the rest of the Japanese industry. People respect him, he could serve as a voice and face of Xbox in Japan helping to convince other studios to work with Xbox, even just for ports. They're making progress, but a name like his would really supercharge that. And then once there's more Japanese developers and games on Xbox, maybe they'll finally properly localize the fucking dash.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Reading through the article on Xbox news in regards to Asobo and their tech that made MFS2020 possible it just seems like a missed opportunity if MS does not aquire them at this point. A perfect 2 game studio working on Action/adventure game and MSFS2020 much like Playground games.

Adding to that it would also be a missed opportunity to not aquire Bloober team. I am not really interested in horror games but I did play Layers of fear 1 and Blair witch and the growth between those titles is clear. They also seem to be experts in pushing out games in a higher rate then most. Also the fact that they are located in Poland is a huge plus as all of MS current studios are located in the US and UK. (Except for Mojang). Going a bit more global will def help with mindshare in Europe. Same goes for Asobo (France). I think it would be pretty cool if they can find another studio in Poland besides Bloober tho. Having a small hub there seems logical.

Lastly their precence in Asia and perticularly Japan seems like a hard one to crack. Maybe try and start a studio there rather then buying one. Or maybe buying a small one with the intention to grow.

With Asia in mind it might not be a super bad idea to look at South Korea. XCloud seems to have done quite well over there and maybe there is a couple of studios there that could fit well into the portfolio. If anything else building a precence in that market seems smart but China I think we can just forget. Tencent owns China and doing anything over there is prob not worth it.
Bloober makes so much sense. They've shown great growth and have released games pretty consistently. (1) game a year at least since their beginning. Also, released two games in 2019. Pretty impressive and they definitely fill several voids for MS (horror/thriller games, location of studio). After Blair and Medium deals, I think it's likely MS have considered and had discussions.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

you are missing one important aspect, the studios themselves have to want to be acquired, i'm sure there are a number of studios MS would like to buy but at the moment can't because they are not for sale.

Nov 23, 2018
I'm curious to see how Flight Simulator is critically received (even though I don't care about numeric reviews because it's pointless). From a graphical and technical standpoint, the expectations are through the roof (in the atmosphere?). RDR2 was the same way and had outdated, stuff gameplay (based on my experience) and still received critical acclaim. I have no idea how Flight Simulator plays. Interested in seeing this!

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Microsoft having a pretty good year with game releases so far and can't to see how they continue to flesh it out. So far...

February- Wasteland Remastered
March- Ori 2, Bleeding Edge
April- Gears Tactics
May- Minecraft Dungeons
July- Grounded
August- Flight Simulator

And still TBA but expected this year....

-Halo: Infinite
-Tell Me Why
-Wasteland 3
-Battletoads
-Crossfire X
-Psychonauts 2

I think that's a heck of a line-up with a nice variety of genres to indulge in. Something there for everyone.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I'm still amazed at how they got FS2020 to look, i have no comp that will handle it but will watch streams on Twitch for sure.

amphille

Mar 26, 2020
you are missing one important aspect, the studios themselves have to want to be acquired, i'm sure there are a number of studios MS would like to buy but at the moment can't because they are not for sale.

Well ofc. I still think those studios are doable. Atleast Bloober and Asobo. The money involved would be the big question mark.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite is already confirmed launching on Steam and any reversal of that with any of their major games going forward would go against everything they have been preaching. Especially when they are saying Gamepass drives sales of games
Source, please? I have seen no confirmation of this; they have only just said PC. The game will be on there eventually but day one not so sure

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

They hired former senior graphics programmer at Lionhead for fable Legends.

Damn... They have kicking ass rendering team.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
No idea why FS2020 doesnt launch on Steam. Dungeons i get because Minecraft. But FS2020? MS is weird sometimes.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Not if they are pushing game pass, we will have to see in 10 days
They should absolutely launch Day 1 on Steam.

If people would rather pay $60 on Steam versus the $5 per month promotional price on Gamepass, that's a huge problem they need to start wrestling with.

I get that there's some inertia that keeps people on Steam, but it will break as people think "I paid $60 on Steam for Outer Worlds and another $60 for MS Flight Simulator, now I'm going to pay $60 for Halo? This is dumb. I need to just sign up for Gamepass,"

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
You would think that after seeing how well their titles have done on steam Microsoft would be chomping at the bit to release everything on Steam.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Congrats to everyone there, but wow, game development sure as hell is white dominated
That is true, but from what I found, Leamington Spa is 86% white and England 81%. I believe PlayGround mostly hires from the local talent pool compared to studios such as Ubisoft and 343 who hire from global pools, so that may partially explain it. Still, an effort should definitely be made on Playground and MS's part.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I seem to be having my own Mandela effect going on. I just checked the article where I thought it said all games would be coming to steam and it's not said but it's heavily implied. Well my apologies for being wrong but I hope they at least make their Steam future clear at the event because it would be a massive mistake not to.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
I seem to be having my own Mandela effect going on. I just checked the article where I thought it said all games would be coming to steam and it's not said but it's heavily implied. Well my apologies for being wrong but I hope they at least make their Steam future clear at the event because it would be a massive mistake not to.
They don't really need too, push game pass and release steam at another date. The sells will still be there just look at sea of thieves

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish they released Fable Legends...I played the closed beta and loved my time. Definitely had a lot of potential, I honestly think it would have had a Sea of Thieves type trajectory...sad

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
Congrats to everyone there, but wow, game development sure as hell is white dominated
I was originally going to go into game development as main study but my professors just turned me off it so much I just ended up switching to electrical engineering. Might try again as a minor or something at some point

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is. Part of the reason is because studios don't do enough outreach to minorities, especially before their careers have started.

I'd love to pivot my career into game dev, but it feels extremely hard to break into and my location (Chicago) doesn't have a ton of studios as-is so competition is especially tough.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I really wish they released Fable Legends...I played the closed beta and loved my time. Definitely had a lot of potential, I honestly think it would have had a Sea of Thieves type trajectory...sad

From what I understand, Spencer basically had to chose between scrapping legends and closing Lionhead, or scrapping Sea of Thieves and closing Rare. That's all word of mouth, I haven't seen any articles confirming it, just what I've heard. Anyone with inside knowledge feel free to correct me of course.

It pains me to say it, but if that's true, I think he made the right choice.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
Since the beginning i think this game is planned for 2022.

The unknow is Obsidian game. I hope is for 2021
Oof I'm still flip flopping on Obsidian's game I hope its 2021 because I dont think you would want to launch two of your AAA RPGs in the same year. Fall out new vegas took only 18 months wow I just looked it up. Maybe they can get it out but if it's truly in the scope of skyrim idk. They never stated how long it's been in the development only that it has been worked on before the 2018 acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.