• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I'm surprised we're probably not going to see multiplayer.

Yeah, I don't see the issue. Even if it's not shown in the show, july 23rd will inevitably be the start of a real agressive marketing campaign for Halo. You Can bet we'll get news every week or so, with multiplayer following super soon after the campaign unveil.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
With the beta incoming there's not really a whole point in showing a trailer for MP right now.

Assuming the beta happens soon, which it'll need to if they are seriously going to change things due to feedback.
Yeah, I don't see the issue. Even if it's not shown in the show, july 23rd will inevitably be the start of a real agressive marketing campaign for Halo. You Can bet we'll get news every week or so, with multiplayer following super soon after the campaign unveil.
To keep my hype in check I'm assuming the singleplayer and multiplayer will have seperate releases. Not showing the multiplayer for a sort of reboot of Halo at their big blow out event just seems unlikely if it's releasing in Fall.

I know word of mouth and twitch streamers are more important than a one time show so maybe they will just release a beta before launch and let the internet do its thing but I still have my doubts.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
To keep my hype in check I'm assuming the singleplayer and multiplayer will have seperate releases. Not showing the multiplayer for a sort of reboot of Halo at their big blow out event just seems unlikely if it's releasing in Fall.

I know word of mouth and twitch streamers are more important than a one time show so maybe they will just release a beta before launch and let the internet do its thing but I still have my doubts.

They'd get eaten alive in reviews if they released without MP. Halo 5 had reviews that complained about no forge or split screen. No way it releases in parts.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do what Hyper Space did. Have a bunch of streamers play it get that marketing going, then open up the floodgates to the public.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
They'd get eaten alive in reviews if they released without MP. Halo 5 had reviews that complained about no forge or split screen. No way it releases in parts.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do what Hyper Space did. Have a bunch of streamers play it get that marketing going, then open up the floodgates to the public.
Yeah that streamer scenario is what the second part of my post covered.

If the single player is robust enough I think it could make up for the multiplayer delay. They've been working on this for 5 years. I doubt the campaign with only be like 8 hours long this time around.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Shall we begin bets on the length of the Halo Infinite campaign with potential side quests included?

I say 25 hours.

obama

Sep 16, 2019

Seems like AoE4 is a huge project. First announced in 2017, this would mean 5 years in development.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Shall we begin bets on the length of the Halo Infinite campaign with potential side quests included?

I say 25 hours.

Impossible to guess without knowing more about the game's fundamental structure. If it's open- or semi-open world with exploration and side quests etc., then I could see 20+ hours. If it's a more traditional, linear Halo campaign, then it would be very doubtful to hit 20 hours.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018

I also think it's as simple as the fact that the campaign is the real place where they can wow people. Not to downplay anything about multiplayer since that's what will keep me playing, but the room for innovation and improvement in multiplayer for Halo is much smaller than for campaign. They probably just wanted their very first gameplay showing to be different, something that new players could look at and think: "this seems different, this seems bigger, better".

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Impossible to guess without knowing more about the game's fundamental structure. If it's open- or semi-open world with exploration and side quests etc., then I could see 20+ hours. If it's a more traditional, linear Halo campaign, then it would be very doubtful to hit 20 hours.
Thats the fun part.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
I also think it's as simple as the fact that the campaign is the real place where they can wow people. Not to downplay anything about multiplayer since that's what will keep me playing, but the room for innovation and improvement in multiplayer for Halo is much smaller than for campaign. They probably just wanted their very first gameplay showing to be different, something that new players could look at and think: "this seems different, this seems bigger, better".
This is a fair point.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Shinobi mentioned in the previous OT that we should expect press impressions on Halo Infinite around the same time as the gameplay demo later this month.

Does that mean... the media have already played it?

Jan 4, 2018
People are getting too caught up on cases that are not the definitive version.

It's like with the back of the XSX on the AMD presentation.
They don't have "the real" one so they use a mockup/approximation

No one has noticed the "over X awards and nominations at E3" badge on the Watchdogs Legion one?
That 100% won't appear since... well, there was no E3 and thus it'll be false advertising
Also, no mention of Lockhart anywhere

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
No one has noticed the "over X awards and nominations at E3" badge on the Watchdogs Legion one?
That 100% won't appear since... well, there was no E3 and thus it'll be false advertising
Also, no mention of Lockhart anywhere
Watch Dogs Legion was revealed during E3 last year and very well could have won awards.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So do insiders and studio devs like Shinobi etc.. know the release date/price already? Im fairly certain they must know the dates for the consoles at least, given that they develop games for them and must have a fairly close launch date.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Make an infinitely replayable game with no drag and that will make more of an impression to me than a campaign stretched out to 20+ hrs for no reason other than they can.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
I really hope MS shows us something impressive next week. I have not seen a single MUST HAVE yet in the recent conferences from MS, EA, Sony and Ubisoft.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
inXile is doing great with recent hires. Some people joined fully team after "testing" phase but here I'll underline three persons which are important for further development of the project;

Steven Parker, former Gaikai Project manager (3y 4m), Senior producer at Blizzard for Diablo 3 (5y 2m), Turtle Rock lead producer on Back 4 Blood (4y 11m), now lead producer at inXile
Matt Amy, former Community Manager at Blizzard (11y 7m) now Community Manager at inXile
Andy Gardner, former programmer at Rockstar San Diego (4y 3m), gameplay Programmer at Ready at Dawn (7y 4m), gameplay programmer at Obsidian (9m)

-------

Ok, now is clear that gameplay/combat (soon to have around 8-10 Senior positions - in class of Sony's Santa Monica Studio) & community departments at inXile are already at the top of the genre, and be sure that hires there are not even close to competition. Even Senior positions are not yet filled.

Game will be huge and reactivity is the key-point with these hires. Another keystone is destruction, but that part will be later filled.

Expect soon other high profile hires (16 positions currently open (ALL SENIOR POSITIONS) , studio is at 100 people right now), some amazing people are in closing interviews stage. At the end of the year there will be over 120 people. Plan is to have two large hiring cycles for needs of this project. (over 200 to 250)

Team will be larger than Playground Games Studio 2 (the one working on Fable).

HR at inXile is doing unprecedented job !

Last edited:

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
So do insiders and studio devs like Shinobi etc.. know the release date/price already? Im fairly certain they must know the dates for the consoles at least, given that they develop games for them and must have a fairly close launch date.
If they had dates it would have been leaked already. I'd bet on launch month. Insiders said XSX was originally going to launch in September. They got that from somewhere.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
LMFAO that's probably because nobody thought of it until this thread was created. At least, I never seen it suggested before.

I suggested it in the previous OT 😢

With the beta incoming there's not really a whole point in showing a trailer for MP right now.

Assuming the beta happens soon, which it'll need to if they are seriously going to change things due to feedback.

I think it's already too late for that.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If they had dates it would have been leaked already. I'd bet on launch month. Insiders said XSX was originally going to launch in September. They got that from somewhere.
That is true, I would guess it wouldn't be an exact date. Just had a duh Cpt. Obvious moment like, "Oh if they're developing for it and they have a launch title then they must know the dates!" Then thought I wonder if they know the price too?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
inXile is doing great with recent hires. Some people joined fully team after "testing" phase but here I'll underline three persons which are important for further development of the project;

Steven Parker, former Gaikai Project manager (3y 4m), Senior producer at Blizzard for Diablo 3 (5y 2m), Turtle Rock lead producer on Back 4 Blood (4y 11m), now lead producer at inXile
Matt Amy, former Community Manager at Blizzard (11y 7m) now Community Manager at inXile
Andy Gardner, former programmer at Rockstar San Diego (4y 3m), gameplay Programmer at Ready at Dawn (7y 4m), gameplay programmer at Obsidian (9m)

-------

Ok, now is clear that gameplay/combat (soon to have around 8-10 Senior positions - in class of Sony's Santa Monica Studio) & community departments at inXile are already at the top of the genre, and be sure that hires there are not even close to competition. Even Senior positions are not yet filled.

Game will be huge and reactivity is the key-point with these hires. Another keystone is destruction, but that part will be later filled.

Expect soon other high profile hires (16 positions currently open, studio is at 100 people right now), some amazing people are in closing interviews stage. At the end of the year there will be over 120 people. Plan is to have two large hiring cycles for needs of this project. (over 200 to 250)

Cool. Interesting that Andy left Obsidian after just 9 mo. And I wonder if a lead producer leaving Back 4 Blood means we should be concerned about that game XD

It's really REALLY interesting how quickly Fargo jumped on this opportunity. Really running with this chance to make the game they want. To expand so quickly and so dramatically is honestly surprising even with the expansions happening across the board. sponger any idea what form that "gameplay/combat" will take, given the hires? Probably more prognostication than detective work at this point, but I'm interested if you're seeing any patterns in who they hire.

You definitely did. And it's a shame your many posts are so criminally ignored XD. It's not too late Mods! Here is your chance to do what is good and right in the world!

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

I think it's already too late for that.
I'm sure they'll be able to tweak some things like weapon damage, game mode settings, etc.

The biggest thing they need to figure out is online stability. Gears 5 was a disaster at launch and Halo is gonna have way more people than Gears did. It'll look awful for Xbox if their two big MP franchises both launch in awful states. They need to have a beta open to anyone with a preload available so they can stress test the servers as soon as the beta goes live.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
That is true, I would guess it wouldn't be an exact date. Just had a duh Cpt. Obvious moment like, "Oh if they're developing for it and they have a launch title then they must know the dates!" Then thought I wonder if they know the price too?
The real question is.. are the launch games already done... :p So much uncertainty this year even before all this craziness and the world falling apart. I'd be surprised if MS and Sony didn't hold back some games, just in case, for just something like this. But at the same time, Phil's prepared us not to expect a huge launch day lineup. That's maybe also both a good idea generally AND a forced reality.

Dec 29, 2019

-------

Expect soon other high profile hires (16 positions currently open (ALL SENIOR POSITIONS) , studio is at 100 people right now), some amazing people are in closing interviews stage. At the end of the year there will be over 120 people. Plan is to have two large hiring cycles for needs of this project. (over 200 to 250)

Wow, great detective.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The real question is.. are the launch games already done... :p So much uncertainty this year even before all this craziness and the world falling apart. I'd be surprised if MS and Sony didn't hold back some games, just in case, for just something like this. But at the same time, Phil's prepared us not to expect a huge launch day lineup. That's maybe also both a good idea generally AND a forced reality.
Yup, we are forced to accept the new "normal" of 2020 from everyday life to how we are given entertainment. If I'm being honest, I really could live with one or two first party launch titles and still be happy. There are still enough third party games to see me through.

Also, I may be remembering this wrong but didn't Phil say the X1 had too many launch games? Although I may be wrong on that.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Cool. Interesting that Andy left Obsidian after just 9 mo. And I wonder if a lead producer leaving Back 4 Blood means we should be concerned about that game XD

He was working/joined-to-work on Stormlands project which was cancelled. Stayed a little bit longer but couldn't find position which was good enough for his talents. It was a very dark and heavy times at Obsidian. Left for better opportunity at Ready At Dawn and stayed there for 7y 4m.

Regarding Back 4 Blood, there are some news that project is still in development, but some people already left. Game co-director Jason Anderson also joined from Turtle Rock. I don't have full picture what's going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.