• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
The second part was mostly due to people overthinking things. Dude was probably just chilling around with some sweet looking owls.
That being said, I'm really curious who'll be becoming part of XGS since both Phil and Matt seem to really want at least one team set in an Asian country.
White Owls could be. It's a small studio, don't think it's too expensive. I hope there's something around june.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Yeah splitting the campaign and multi is not going to go over well.

If they had been clear when they first announced halo infinite that it would be split it would have been ok i think

I think it's fine so long as both are fully featured and available Day 1. I think it would be a positive to allow the meta of the multiplayer to be separate from the single player. They can take abilities that cause the MP community grief out, re-balance weapons etc. all without worrying about how it will impact the single player sandbox and vice versa. Then they can just keep adding the the multiplayer with major updates to the engine and graphics coming with the big single player releases.

IMO I think MS has a habit of making the packages of their games too big. They seem to feel a need to add a big new modes. Then for games like Gears and especially Halo they get so massive and complicated it's almost impossible to make it a good package in every area people want. Splitting the package might help quite a bit then they can pace some of the big new additions so long as the initial release is full featured day one.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fine so long as both are fully featured and available Day 1. I think it would be a positive to allow the meta of the multiplayer to be separate from the single player. They can take abilities that cause the MP community grief out, re-balance weapons etc. all without worrying about how it will impact the single player sandbox and vice versa. Then they can just keep adding the the multiplayer with major updates to the engine and graphics coming with the big single player releases.

IMO I think MS has a habit of making the packages of their games too big. They seem to feel a need to add a big new modes. Then for games like Gears and especially Halo they get so massive and complicated it's almost impossible to make it a good package in every area people want. Splitting the package might help quite a bit then they can pace some of the big new additions so long as the initial release is full featured day one.
I'm telling you right now that would go over terribly and nobody in their right mind would want that

Aug 26, 2018
^ BladeRunner2099
Xbox having FIFA as marketing deal seems like a safe bet. There's no way they advertised soccer in their Series X reveal if they didn't lock that deal down beforehand.

I hope so. There are workarounds like 1 free game with your Series X bundle but they can't really market it as well in Europe.

If they have a FIFA+Halo Infinite Bundle for the Series X/Lockhart launch, they are going to sell out like crazy.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
As long as the Halo Infinite MP basics are there either at launch, or very shortly thereafter, no one is going to care all that much if some additional modes are added in as an update or something. Same with Forge.

Is it ideal? No. But I don't think it's anywhere near the catastrophe some of you seem to envision, haha.

And let us not lose sight of the fact that there's no indication this is even happening. Klobrille was speaking theoretically.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If its the case 343 can easy be clear up front also. And tell what is missing and what will come soon. Is it ideal? No. But its honest and many people will understand.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
As long as the Halo Infinite MP basics are there either at launch, or very shortly thereafter, no one is going to care all that much if some additional modes are added in as an update or something. Same with Forge.
Except this literally happened with Halo 5 and they were killed for it. Critics derided the lack of content and modes and fans were angry that they had to wait months for things they expected at launch to be patched in later.

ACellarDoor

Mar 4, 2019
I am eagerly awaiting Halo Infinite and i hope that we get it this winter with XSX. I just want to play a good Halo campaign again. 4 was good, 5 was a let down.

I recently saw videos by Dee Bee Geek of his play-though of all Halo campaigns as a PlayStation fan. It really made me appreciate the Halo series and even more hyped for Infinite. if you haven't seen his videos before, definitely worth a watch. Some of his reactions around Halo 2 and 3 are best.

www.youtube.com

Dee Bee Geek

''Well Lads what's the craic!!?? My name is Deebeegeek! Well online anyway. I've been an online creator for a number of years now and it has become a huge pa...

Going back to topic, i will be happy with Campaign and Warzone Firefight to release first. i hope they bring some changes to warzone to make it more seamless and even have stage based firefight as well, something like operations from Battlefield.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Very well summarized.

I do see a few loose ends though and hope they work on some of these weaknesses that I think exists as well :

1. Brand Presence in Europe

Xbox One got blown away in Europe and there is still significant work that needs to be done there to increase brand presence ( Strong Partnerships with Local players . Bring Xbox All Access etc to the European Market)

2. M+KB Support has been poor

was mentioned almost 2 XOs ago but there has been no significant titles to take advantage of this or work done there in my opinion ( Gears Tactics, AoE4 would be interesting).

3. xCloud is still potential.

With the adoption of 5G, I am curious to see how they will expand xCloud. They need dedicated accessories, partnerships with brands like Samsung, Huawei and Xiaomi to really increase their xCloud brand presence especially if they can get xCloud pre-installed on these partner devices would be huge.

So far no accessories, no partnerships. Maybe 5G is what they are waiting for.

4. Pricing of games on different platforms.

I know this is controversial but Gears 5 was 70$ on Steam, that was way too much I think. CD3 was 60$ which I think killed it. Gears Tactics is 60$ again, I think a 40$ price point would have been more appealing especially for PC folks. Bleeding Edge should have been F2P (I know Gamepass) but still think it wouln't have hurt them to have F2P.

5. Having good Marketing Deals.

The biggest names RDR2, COD, FIFA all had Playstation deals. All console sellers in their own regard.

Xbox had Fallout 76, Anthem, BF5...with some exceptions like AC Origins, BF1, SW: JFO which are not on the same level. For next gen, I would like to see them go aggressive and get FIFA. That would be a huge get in Europe.

6. Ride the nostalgia wave

I know with Perfect Dark, Battletoads, Fable, MS Flight Simulator etc. Xbox is now digging into its treasure trove of IPs. But there is so much more they can do. Alan Wake, Splinter Cell, Banjo, Crimson Skies etc. are all great IPs which are being wasted in my opinion.

7. Transmedia is still a weak point

The Witcher got a Netflix show announcement and was released to wide appreciation, all this happened so seamlessly without any drama.

Where is the Gears of war movie( Rod spoke abt it during Gears 4 launch), where is the Minecraft movie ( got delayed by a year), Halo Showtime show was delayed multiple times, has a tentative Early 2021 release date.

They need to leverage or bring someone who knows media ( TV, Hollywood) inside out to bring out the IPs more quickly to the general public.

8. Figure out if they want to use the App Stores ( iOS, Android)

With xCloud, this is a tough one. On the one hand, they have Gears Pop, Forza Street on the app stores but no sign of Halo. So assuming Halo Infinite releases on xCloud, is that the new strategy?

I think ( minority opinion), they are leaving money on the table not putting out a decent Halo game for the app stores ( Halo Mega Bloks? ). Forza Street also seems like a half baked attempt. PUBG/Fortnite/COD all have 100 Million players on the app stores, imagine what a good halo game would add to the Xbox Live player numbers if Halo was there too.

All in all, I seem a bit negative but think these are only opportunities for them to explore and really happy so far with the direction Xbox is going in.
None of these are huge issues save for maybe the Europe part.

I do - however - think they need to get VERY serious about working with small devs and licensing out IP like they're doing with battletoads. I'm not sure why we don't have Jago 2d side scrollers or Rare Card games or something. They need to show everybody why Xbox is so big, pervasive, for everyone. Because gears, halo, and forza aren't cutting it.PS is a big brand because they excel at cultivating their IP with their fanbase

Oct 27, 2017
Except this literally happened with Halo 5 and they were killed for it. Critics derided the lack of content and modes and fans were angry that they had to wait months for things they expected at launch to be patched in later.
Like people must want to Remember the past. There were huge complaints of no split screen, forge and no BTB, even tho new modes like breakout and warzone was added

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
It can be PES instead. It would also fit to the rumor about the Konami catalogue...

I mean, yeah, it can be. But what would be the point of having a marketing deal for PES? FIFA is still much bigger, so no I don't think PES is a possibility.

Unless Microsoft did buy Konami or their catalogue, yes, but again, this is most likely a useless rumours.

What lol? It was generic CGI of a match in the same way the cars racing was.

Yes? It is a CGI shot of a match, but the message is pretty much saying that: these are some experiences you're going to play on the Series X (to me, that means at launch with such a teaser). Only Halo is truely identified, but that doesn't mean the two other things aren't teasing games related to that (maybe a Forza, and obviously a FIFA or PES). And since they chose to make soccer a focus in their reveal video, I do think this is something they'll make a focus on closer to launch, so it's not farfetched to think Microsoft is investing to be the marketing brand associated with FIFA this holiday.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I remember EA being one of the first publishers who talked about the capabilities of the Xbox One X back in 2017 (the same event where they showed some Frostbite on X1X stuff and where they teased Anthem). I'm curious if this will be the case this year although it does seem quite unlikely with no EA event currently announced. Really curious which publisher it'll be this time around.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hmmm .. while the scope of the game is huge - allowing any type of missed deadline before launch would be a double edge for them and cause more stress than satisfaction.
the only updates after launch are post-content drops - not content that should have been there at launch like a MP mode (ala warzone/btb)
People would understand if the singleplayer portion is really good to great. Not to mention the ease of access through Game Pass.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Yes? It is a CGI shot of a match, but the message is pretty much saying that: these are some experiences you're going to play on the Series X (to me, that means at launch with such a teaser). Only Halo is truely identified, but that doesn't mean the two other things aren't teasing games related to that (maybe a Forza, and obviously a FIFA or PES). And since they chose to make soccer a focus in their reveal video, I do think this is something they'll make a focus on closer to launch, so it's not farfetched to think Microsoft is investing to be the marketing brand associated with FIFA this holiday.
You're honestly reading too much in to it even if they do have a marketing agreement with FIFA or PES.

All they're saying is we have the next-gen in sports on our console - using the most popular sport in the world as an advert, the same way cars/racing games are always used as its something Joe Bloggs can identify with. It's literally nothing more.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I am eagerly awaiting Halo Infinite and i hope that we get it this winter with XSX. I just want to play a good Halo campaign again. 4 was good, 5 was a let down.

I recently saw videos by Dee Bee Geek of his play-though of all Halo campaigns as a PlayStation fan. It really made me appreciate the Halo series and even more hyped for Infinite. if you haven't seen his videos before, definitely worth a watch. Some of his reactions around Halo 2 and 3 are best.

www.youtube.com

Dee Bee Geek

''Well Lads what's the craic!!?? My name is Deebeegeek! Well online anyway. I've been an online creator for a number of years now and it has become a huge pa...

Going back to topic, i will be happy with Campaign and Warzone Firefight to release first. i hope they bring some changes to warzone to make it more seamless and even have stage based firefight as well, something like operations from Battlefield.

I've been watching his playthroughs as well, very enjoyable watch.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Kinda reminds me of what was previously rumored, with campaign and MP having a split release:https://gamerant.com/halo-infinite-single-player-2019-multiplayer-2020/

If either of these happen I'd be really disappointed. Was disappointed with Halo 4, and Halo 5, but I was hoping with the increased development time & budget within Xbox they'd really nail the final package on release.

Anyways the game still has quite a bit of time left in the oven and we haven't heard anything officially so I'll wait and see.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
People would understand if the singleplayer portion is really good to great. Not to mention the ease of access through Game Pass.
personally i would not mind. im day 0 for halo infinite and i can't wait to play. i had a lot of fun with the h5 MP, just about unlocked everything too, except some pro team skins locked behind payments. just to give an example of how much im ready to dive into Infinite.

My comment is coming from an observation perspective on the online gaming culture of how masses circle and magnify things and spin it to be negative, especially here on era about anything xbox. The vocal loudness we will here of halo not having every mode will become the narrative instead of how amazing things. Now, i'm not saying 343i needs to meet these people's expectations, because they wont, it will just be a deeper hole to dig out of if they do not launch with every legacy mode, and i would not want that type of additional stress or toxicity on to 343i. :(

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
personally i would not mind. im day 0 for halo infinite and i can't wait to play. i had a lot of fun with the h5 MP, just about unlocked everything too, except some pro team skins locked behind payments. just to give an example of how much im ready to dive into Infinite.

My comment is coming from an observation perspective on the online gaming culture of how masses circle and magnify things and spin it to be negative, especially here on era about anything xbox. The vocal loudness we will here of halo not having every mode will become the narrative instead of how amazing things. Now, i'm not saying 343i needs to meet these people's expectations, because they wont, it will just be a deeper hole to dig out of if they do not launch with every legacy mode, and i would not want that type of additional stress or toxicity on to 343i. :(
Era cares more about AAA singleplayer experiences and review scores. LOL If Halo singplayer is released and gets good reviews, the majority of Era would be satisfied.

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
Era cares more about AAA singleplayer experiences and review scores. LOL If Halo singplayer is released and gets good reviews, the majority of Era would be satisfied.
I disagree, MSFT cannot do the things that sony can do. Double standards exist. If the sp is released first the game will get killed and everyone will all of a sudden clamor for the mp. Leadership should just delay the game if the full package isn't ready.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, MSFT cannot do the things that sony can do. Double standards exist. If the sp is released first the game will get killed and everyone will all of a sudden clamor for the mp. Leadership should just delay the game if the full package isn't ready.
No it won't. If Game Pass didn't exist, then I might agree; but Game Pass exists. Halo Infinite and Xbox Series X's launch are strategically tied together. They will not delay the game if XSX launches this year.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I'm telling you right now that would go over terribly and nobody in their right mind would want that

I just don't see why it matters. If Halo Infinite releases this fall with a full single player experience (8-12 hour standard length complete story arc high production value campaign), multiplayer with BTB, expected gameplay modes, Forge and Warzone and a year from now we get a Battle Royal mode (or whatever they are experimenting with internally) announced at E3 and dropped in the fall as a free update why would anyone care?

Not like it's without precedent. Delivering the expected experience and then free add ons later is pretty much what the last COD and BF did and I don't recall any real complaining about that.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I just don't see why it matters. If Halo Infinite releases this fall with a full single player experience (8-12 hour standard length complete story arc high production value campaign), multiplayer with BTB, expected gameplay modes, Forge and Warzone and a year from now we get a Battle Royal mode (or whatever they are experimenting with internally) announced at E3 and dropped in the fall as a free update why would anyone care?

Not like it's without precedent. Delivering the expected experience and then free add ons later is pretty much what the last COD and BF did and I don't recall any real complaining about that.
the conversation is that it would not launch with the bolded. kind of like what happened with halo 5 - tacked on btb, forge a lot later and then totally changed after a long list of update. that one life mode that died quickly and etc. simply saying we dont want a repeat of 5, especially for a more highly regarded halo title.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Marketing aside, the reality is that the "console wars" are largely over, and it's ardent fanboys who will be the last to set down their arms.

For decades, console sales were the be all end all metric, because the console was the thing these companies had to sell you first, to inculcate you into their walled garden. The boxes themselves weren't a big source of profit, but they locked you in so those companies could make their actual money off of you via game licencing, services, and accessories. In several cases, the boxes would even be sold at a loss because those other sources of revenue were so lucrative.

Microsoft have essentially decentralized the "Xbox" ecosystem across PC, mobile, "cloud". and traditional console hardware. Their services can be used across all of these things. So can their accessories. So can their games. The console sales aren't a required first step any more.

I'm sure Microsoft would love to be the market leader in console hardware, and I'm sure their console hardware people explicitly work towards that goal. But Microsoft's overall picture of the Xbox gaming business has become much bigger than that.

Hell, look at us heading into next generation - you've got one platform that's largely a traditional console business (Sony), one platform that has no console at all (Stadia), and one platform that exists across multiple pieces of hardware (Microsoft). If Stadia were to become a runaway success, would we say they lost because they sold no consoles? Of course not. The platform is the business, not just the hardware.

I actually think it's probably a foregone conclusion that the PS5 will outsell the Xbox Series X (at least globally), in terms of box vs. box. But if Microsoft's overall gaming business is making more revenue in five years, does that mean you "won"?

I think this is their thinking when Spencer inadvertently tosses out fanboy-bait about not seeing Sony as their actual competition any more. In a narrow sense, of course they are still competitors. But in a broader sense, Team Blue versus Team Green has never been less historically relevant.

Of course, for people who have some fraction of their self-identity tied up in which multinational corporation's game box is betterer, this is not a reality they want to accept.
I'll tell you how this goes in my opinion. MS out earns Sony 2:1 while selling 3/4 of the consoles. Fanatics pick apart the metrics they like to hand wave away any lead that one or the other has. I expect to see gymnastics like "why do you care if MS made money? Sony clearly won because they sold more units" or "sure MS made 45 first party titles games this gen but Sony has god of war 2 / Spider-Man 2 / GoT 2 / HZD 2"

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
None of these are huge issues save for maybe the Europe part.

I do - however - think they need to get VERY serious about working with small devs and licensing out IP like they're doing with battletoads. I'm not sure why we don't have Jago 2d side scrollers or Rare Card games or something. They need to show everybody why Xbox is so big, pervasive, for everyone. Because gears, halo, and forza aren't cutting it.PS is a big brand because they excel at cultivating their IP with their fanbase

I mean, there was a Fable card game, there's Gears tactics and the card game, Banjo in Smash, Halo showtime series, they're licensing out IP, just not all of them.

I think part of it is you want to be careful how you license stuff like that, because if you do it poorly and it's seen as a soulless cash grab you could hurt the IP forever. I hope Battletoads is a sign of things to come and we see Rare farming out some revivals of its beloved IP to developers that really care about it and can do it well. Doesn't mean it has to be in the same genre as the original, I'd take a side scrolling Kameo reboot, I'd take a country life hybrid monster collector Viva Piñata reboot, but no mobile gacha Banjo / Conker match 3 games, no KI dating sims, no Jetforce Gemini rhythm game where the twins become pop idols and use the power of song to save the galaxy (actually maybe that one works).

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I mean, there was a Fable card game, there's Gears tactics and the card game, Banjo in Smash, Halo showtime series, they're licensing out IP, just not all of them.

I think part of it is you want to be careful how you license stuff like that, because if you do it poorly and it's seen as a soulless cash grab you could hurt the IP forever. I hope Battletoads is a sign of things to come and we see Rare farming out some revivals of its beloved IP to developers that really care about it and can do it well. Doesn't mean it has to be in the same genre as the original, I'd take a side scrolling Kameo reboot, I'd take a country life hybrid monster collector Viva Piñata reboot, but no mobile gacha Banjo / Conker match 3 games, no KI dating sims, no Jetforce Gemini rhythm game where the twins become pop idols and use the power of song to save the galaxy (actually maybe that one works).
Also this is coming soon.
cupheadnetflix.jpg

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Infinite better not be an 8hr experience. It better be at least 15hrs. I want a meaty single-player campaign. I have no interest in multiplayer.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Infinite better not be an 8hr experience. It better be at least 15hrs. I want a meaty single-player campaign. I have no interest in multiplayer.
I can see Infinite being a planet-hopping game with 20+ hours of gameplay, hopefully. They need plenty to get people into the new engine and gameplay options. I hope they revamp the SP for more replayability. I know MP is the meat of the game but new options would be great. Hoping for a mix of Halo and Mass Effect (SPace travel, alien planets, more flora and fauna to research etc. I want more life in Halo. Towns, NPC's, Animals etc,

Status
Not open for further replies.