• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
Why aren't some of these old star wars games releasing on xbox one? Specifically ones that didn't release on the original xbox.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
The thing about the hard drives is it sounds like neither one of them allows next gen games to RUN off of the old hard drives. Both of them have specific requirements for their SSD expandable storage. MS solves this by creating proprietary form factor. Sony however will "certify" drives that will fit IN the PS5 and meet the required speeds.

For pricing I wonder if the if base cost of the SSDs for XSX will be cheaper (due to older tech) but priced higher (due to their proprietary nature).
The reverse is also possible for Sony. It's an interesting take on how to handle storage next gen. We will see.

Oh I didn't know that but it actually makes a lot of sense. Barring IO bottlenecks it looks like their solution to variable storage speeds was just to eliminate them, so they can build games and software with fast storage in mind. Be interesting to see how that works with games that are also coming to PC, which is more a Microsoft problem than a Sony one.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Obsidian are really on to something with Outer Worlds...this is the most fun I've had with a "Bethesda"-style RPG...

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Rumor that never had any basis in reality, just desperate fanboy nonsense.

Just like with Bethesda in January and Silent Hill last week. It's really time to stop giving so much exposure all these fanboy "leaks" that are just wishful thinking. People like to be talked about but they will only keep doing this shit if every bit of news catches steam and people give exposure to them.

The Epic Games Publisher deal seems to be very good for the three studios involved. It's harder and harder to navigate in the AA-AAA segment independently so I'm glad they found a solution. And finally we will have an Ueda game on Xbox!

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Then again, job openings listed AAA experience, right?
Exactly.

Experience with large, AAA teams and distributed/remote development

www.inxile-entertainment.com

Senior Producer | inXile Entertainment

InXile Entertainment is looking for a talented, passionate, and experienced Senior Gameplay Engineer for a next-generation role-playing game.
Strong familiarity and development experience with Unreal 4.0

At least 5 years of experience leading a full design team, with relevant experience working on AAA titles, current and next-gen consoles

www.inxile-entertainment.com

Lead Designer | inXile Entertainment

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

I've always said InXile will surprise the most of all the XGS teams. Nobody seems to know who Brain Fargo is, which is a shame, he's a legend in the RPG space. MS will become a RPG cornerstone next gen in my honest opinion, akin to the days they have KOTOR and Mass Effect on their platforms.

You know what would be amazing. Obsidian and Inxile teaming up on a game.

Next project could be. This would be peak synergy for XGS if it did happen, in fact I don't think it's ever been done by any publisher before a full on joint project?

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
I just need one of them to create a space themed rpg ala mass effect, there wasn't a single good one this gen (I think)

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't understand why people want Fable's label on it. The IP doesn't mean much and they could opt to do their own tone and their own delectable cast of characters. Just makes more sense to me. Maybe a spiritual reboot or something
I think the sales of the franchise speak otherwise....

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Its gonna be a full reboot.
But what's the point of attaching the fable name? I just disagree with that choice. No 15 year old kid gives two craps about the IP. There are no characters that provide any continuity. Albion has no defining characteristics. Fable's key component was "choices" and "good v evil". This has been done by hordes of RPGs since. The only unique characteristic people mention is "British humor".

it makes total sense to me to make a huge open word rpg. It makes total sense to me to make a game with humor. It doesn't make any sense to borrow the fable name

And this is no knock against fable. I loved fable one and fable two. Great games, good gameplay. Fun mechanics.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fable has a history and fans, but it also has baggage. The Playground RPG could benefit from being Fable, but it also doesn't need to be to succeed.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
But what's the point of attaching the fable name? I just disagree with that choice. No 15 year old kid gives two craps about the IP. There are no characters that provide any continuity. Albion has no defining characteristics. Fable's key component was "choices" and "good v evil". This has been done by hordes of RPGs since. The only unique characteristic people mention is "British humor".

it makes total sense to me to make a huge open word rpg. It makes total sense to me to make a game with humor. It doesn't make any sense to borrow the fable name

And this is no knock against fable. I loved fable one and fable two. Great games, good gameplay. Fun mechanics.
Because if it doesnt matter to young people if its a new name or not it will help with older people who do know Fable. And Fable is a big franchise with alot of sales.
People need to see it as God of War. It has a strong well known name. But getting rid of the number and do a reboot will make it easier for new people to join in also. A number behind game is always "scary" for new people.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Again, as a huge Xbox lover - someone who has probably bought like 5-6 Xboxes across all of time - I ask this: sales high enough to force Microsoft to close the studio and stop creating games in the franchise?
Lionhead and the Fable IP was heavily mismanaged. You could also ask why Age of Empires withered and was almost non-existant for so many years as well. Because of mismanagement.

At the time, the European Xbox studios was pushed towards live service games at the expense of their more traditional games. Phil Harrison, who was the head of Xbox Europe back then, was a huge proponent of live service games.

I would have loved to see the timeline where Lionhead was allowed to make Fable IV. I bet the studio would have still been alive today.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Lionhead and the Fable IP was heavily mismanaged. You could also ask why Age of Empires withered and was almost non-existant for so many years as well. Because of mismanagement.

At the time, the European Xbox studios was pushed towards live service games at the expense of their more traditional games. Phil Harrison, who was the head of Xbox Europe back then, was a huge proponent of live service games.

I would have loved to see the timeline where Lionhead was allowed to make Fable IV. I bet the studio would have still been alive today.
That's a fair criticism. I'm not going to argue against that. I do think it's interesting that live service games has now transformed to the subscription model. His philosophy has lived on, just morphed a little

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Again, as a huge Xbox lover - someone who has probably bought like 5-6 Xboxes across all of time - I ask this: sales high enough to force Microsoft to close the studio and stop creating games in the franchise?

Microsoft and Lionhead were both mismanaged. You can put the blame mostly on Microsoft I suppose.

The studio wanted to make Fable 4, instead they had to work on a game they didn't want to make, Microsoft sunk 75 Million into the project, and its wasn't fun & suffered delays because it was Lionhead's first foray into a proper MP game.

Fable is still a well-liked brand name, and I think gamers would like a hardcore RPG Fable game.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
As someone who has never played a Fable game and knows nothing about the story, I hope they do a full reboot and start the story again.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
That's a fair criticism. I'm not going to argue against that. I do think it's interesting that live service games has now transformed to the subscription model. His philosophy has lived on, just morphed a little
Game Pass is a much, much better way to do it though. Since it facilitates both SP and MP experiences. :)

On a side note: I wasn't necessarily against the idea of Fable Legends. I was against the idea of it being prioritized over Fable IV. Had they been allowed to make Fable IV as their first tentpole XBO release, I think a lot more people would have reacted better to Fable Legends.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Leflus said pretty much what I was going to say, but as a quick counter... Clearly sales high enough to resurrect the franchise with a big AAA studio, their most critically acclaimed one even.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I think I asked this before but, I'm getting old, lol.

Who said that inXile's RPG would be third/first person and not isometric again? So far it isn't officially confirmed.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first is 54 on MC and the second is at 67. Kinda proves his point doesn't it?

Cyberpunk 2077 might have fit the bill if you consider cyberpunk to be sci-fi.
Nah, I think they specifically mean an epic space/science fantasy RPG like Mass Effect. However Cyberpunk 2077 will scratch a lot of itches. LOL

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Why not use the Fable name though?

Oct 27, 2017

Well fable is a pretty good name and you already own it

So why not use it

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

A lot of things were happening around the studio at that time, not the least of which was Myerson cutting funding and Xbox having to make a decision between Rare and Lionhead. Monoloux left, multiple bad decisions were made both with and without him, and Myerson also only wanted to fund big games that were GAAS. Had nothing to do with the Fable IP.

That said, I could care less either way. Fable is fine. It could rebooted to the point where the only thing the same is the name. The name is marketing. Everything else can belong to Playground.

Mar 11, 2019
User banned (3 days): Trolling

Most are not really AAA titles of the scope that you expect from an AAA title.

Which is normal because you cant magically create triple AAA games from small studios, and at the same time intend to regularly release new games (preferably each month) for the gamepass platform so people will stay subscribed, or non-subscribers may find more reason to subscribe. I am not sure if it is the right approach for MS because they in a way are competing against the many other AA games from which people can choose. And there are only few true triple AAA games released each year that attracts many gamers in a different way then most AA titles can.

I think Bleeding Edge is a game in the catogory Matt Booty spoke of, a well crafted game more then an AA game imo, but when even eurogamer calls it gamepass filler, then I would doubt the current strategy of quantity over, I would not say quality, but giving more games from the ground up the time to mature and the time to add content to distinguish from the many other AA games.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017

Which is normal because you cant magically create triple AAA games from small studios, and at the same time intend to regularly release new games (preferably each month) for the gamepass platform so people will stay subscribed, or non-subscribers may find more reason to subscribe. I am not sure if it is the right approach for MS because they in a way are competing against the many other AA games from which people can choose. And there are only few true triple AAA games released each year that attracts many gamers in a different way then most AA titles can.

I think Bleeding Edge is a game in the catogory Matt Booty spoke of, a well crafted game more then an AA game imo, but when even eurogamer calls it gamepass filler, then I would doubt the current strategy of quantity over, I would not say quality, but giving more games from the ground up the time to mature and the time to add content to distinguish from the many other AA games.

Are you for real that use a crazy Sony fanboy's tweet as a proof? Matt Booty did not said that and in fact Klobrille's tweet is respond to this tweet.
It's like i bring Timdog's tweet in SIE studios thread fam.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This tweet isn't even remotely accurate to what Matt Booty actually said. The additional fact that the author portrayed it as a direct quote is incredibly disingenuous.

Booty said that not all studios will be working on 90 hour AAA games, but rather games in smaller scope with AAA production quality. And the example he used was Hellblade, which has been universally praised and grabbed tons of Game of the Year awards. So I'm not sure how that's a bad thing.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

How about you post the full interview instead of posting an out of context clip from some pathetic fanboy, here I'll do it for you.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Links to a giant console warrior..... hmm. Most of those absolutely are AAA, overwhelming majority actually.

Mar 11, 2019
Yes??? to all the quotes, there is nothing contradicting to what I say and what Matt Booty says. Have you read my post? And I explained the reason, and Matt Booty says exactly the same. But because I quote a tweet where I thought it is easier to see a very short fragment, because not everyone will see 20 minutes long videos it becomes irrelevant or something?

Or is any critique of MS approach not allowed in here.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Yes??? to all the quotes, there is nothing contradicting to what I say and what Matt Booty says. Have you read my post? And I explained the reason, and Matt Booty says exactly the same. But because I quote a tweet where I thought it is easier to see a very short fragment, because not everyone will see 20 minutes long videos it becomes irrelevant or something?

Or is any critique of MS approach not allowed in here.
Critique of ms is allowed but not when you both quote a console warrior and take things out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.