• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
:)

bollv8vqg1n41.jpg

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Just watched the DF video where they dive into the specs and everything. These people really thought of it all huh, the BC stuff sounds extremely good too. But also the small things like ALLM, the small changes to the controller, everything.

And again, quick resume can be a game changer for damn sure. I mean short loading times are great but you don't even have to worry about that. I rarely play more than three different games at a time anyway.

very well thought out machine.

isaaccs

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Microsoft really is killing it lately. I love how transparent they're being about Xbox Series X. Can't wait for the E3 show.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
very well thought out machine.

Yell yes.

But I remain slightly skeptical about quick resume until I've tried it for myself and having seen there are no performance issues, no crashes, no weird stuff that you don't want in such a feature. If that's the case...game changer right there.

Would mean you can take a break from a RPG and go for some online FPS matches and then go back to the RPG when you're done with that. Or let's say you want to continue a racing game....done. The only reason I take the wait and see approach is because suspend and resume didn't exactly work as flawlessly on Xbox One compared to Switch and apparently PS4 too.

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances we see a controller w/ gyro + haptic feedback released as an accessory eventually?

Maybe a way to keep costs down perhaps?

Either way, Microsoft has gotten me extremely hyped up for the Series X. Skipped this gen and didn't have either a One of a PS4. Looking forward to getting back into the XBox ecosystem.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe all the XB1 games made by XGS that have/will release before XSX but will get specific XSX enhancement patches are games the developers are still touching which includes Gears 5 (already confirmed). MCC, Ori and the Will of the Wisps. State of Decay 2, Bleeding Edge, Forza Horizon 4, Minecraft Dungeons, Gears Tactics, Wasteland 3, Grounded, and Tell Me Why.

Pyschonauts 2, MS Flight Simulator, Battletoads, and Crossfire X will also get XSX upgrade patches but not sure if they will release before XSX launches.

jobbe1978

Jan 18, 2018
Italy
Judge If I remember correctly you said months before that Xbox and Playstation will share more or less the same power. Do you still confirm this? Thank you

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
The renders/art for the Xbox Series X mimics what we have seen from the XCloud app and parts of the gamepass app on mobile. Gonna be a sexy UI

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
According to a Dutch Xbox site the storage normally costs 500 for 1TB. But there's no way MS is gonna expect that from gamers.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Looks like an incredible console. Microsoft has the hardware, the ecosystem and services, and a strong number of studios to compete next-gen.

Don't flop on the price and show us some good games from XGS and there's no reason Xbox can't regain some of the marketshare it lost this generation.

The nice thing about covering all the tech details early like this is whenever Microsoft wants to do a major showcase, it can be almost completely about the games. That's the last piece of the puzzle to stick the next-gen landing. Might have to show some games a little earlier than Phil would normally like.

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
I tried Vigenère with a couple of different keys (Xbox, PhilSpencer, hmqgg, SeriesS SeriesX), I tried the Kryptos ciphers and I tried a few shift ciphers by hand but I wasn't able to get anything sensible out of it.

All I can tell is it's not a date, too many numbers, it doesn't look like a base64 number, it's probably not anything like an octal or a hex number (I tried both of those but no other bases). I couldn't think of any 12 letter words with a first and third matching letter so I'm assuming it's a proper noun or a phrase if it's a simple cipher. If it's a phrase I also don't think it has spaces in it, otherwise 6 would have to be an a or an i and 5 would have to be a space, and that didn't really make a ton of sense when I started looking at patterns or keys.

I probably won't spend anymore time on this tonight, and hopefully it'll be revealed before the end of the week, but I'm gonna put it on the whiteboard in my office and look at it every now and again. This and capture the flag were the two most fun things about security classes back in college, so this is probably my favorite thing to happen in this thread for a long time.

The first step is ASCII decoding.
The answer has been posted.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
That instant play streaming capability is going to be a lot more important now knowing the storage limitations. If streaming works well, it won't be much of an issue.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
What are contact shadows though? And screen space global illumination? But it's cool to know Gears 5 will benefit from XSX, hopefully we see Ryse too but I wonder if that requires dev input?

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
The specs of XSX are surreal. What a turnaround from how disappointing PS4 and XB1 in particular were.

The back of the XSX controller:
KKwpnku.png

What a huge win, I was afraid they'd go for a li-ion battery like in Elite 2 controller, but luckily didn't happen.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What are contact shadows though? And screen space global illumination? But it's cool to know Gears 5 will benefit from XSX, hopefully we see Ryse too but I wonder if that requires dev input?
I think they suggested many of the BC things would not need dev intervention, including the HDR options. It does seem like a case by case basis, like the 350 to Xbox One BC stuff was.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The below really stood out to me and made me to hyped for this beast to be in my hands!

news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...

DirectML – Xbox Series X supports Machine Learning for games with DirectML, a component of DirectX. DirectML leverages unprecedented hardware performance in a console, benefiting from over 24 TFLOPS of 16-bit float performance and over 97 TOPS (trillion operations per second) of 4-bit integer performance on Xbox Series X. Machine Learning can improve a wide range of areas, such as making NPCs much smarter, providing vastly more lifelike animation, and greatly improving visual quality.

DirectStorage – DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

GPU Work Creation – Xbox Series X adds hardware, firmware and shader compiler support for GPU work creation that provides powerful capabilities for the GPU to efficiently handle new workloads without any CPU assistance. This provides more flexibility and performance for developers to deliver their graphics visions.

Hardware Accelerated DirectX Raytracing (DXR) – From improved lighting, shadows and reflections as well as more realistic acoustics and spatial audio, raytracing enables developers to create more physically accurate worlds. For the very first time in a game console, Xbox Series X includes support for high performance, hardware accelerated raytracing. Xbox Series X uses a custom-designed GPU leveraging the latest innovation from our partners at AMD and built in collaboration with the same team who developed DirectX Raytracing. Developers will be able to deliver incredibly immersive visual and audio experiences using the same techniques on PC and beyond.

Hardware Decompression – Hardware decompression is a dedicated hardware component introduced with Xbox Series X to allow games to consume as little space as possible on the SSD while eliminating all CPU overhead typically associated with run-time decompression. It reduces the software overhead of decompression when operating at full SSD performance from more than three CPU cores to zero – thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better gameplay and improved framerates. Hardware decompression is one of the components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture.

Intelligent Delivery – Microsoft's developer facing technology to reduce the size of game installs. Intelligent Delivery empowers developers to only install the pieces of the game you need, thereby minimizing the amount of content that needs to be installed or downloaded to the SSD.

Optimized for Xbox Series X – Games built using the Xbox Series X development kit and designed to take advantage of the unique capabilities of the Xbox Series X. These include new titles built natively using the Xbox Series X development environment as well as previously released titles that have been rebuilt specifically for Xbox Series X. They will showcase unparalleled load-times, visuals, responsiveness and framerates up to 120 fps.

RDNA 2 – The custom designed processor in the Xbox Series X leverages RDNA 2, the latest next generation graphics architecture from our partners at AMD. RDNA 2 provides a significant advancement in performance and efficiency as well as next generation graphics features such as hardware accelerated raytracing and variable rate shading.

Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) – A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance.

Xbox Velocity Architecture – The Xbox Velocity Architecture is the new architecture we've created for the Xbox Series X to unlock new capabilities never-before seen in console development. It consists of four components: our custom NVMe SSD, a dedicated hardware decompression block, the all new DirectStorage API, and Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS). This combination of custom hardware and deep software integration allows developers to radically improve asset streaming and effectively multiply available memory. It will enable richer and more dynamic living worlds unlike anything ever seen before. It also effectively eliminates loading times, and makes fast travel systems just that: fast.

Zen 2 – The custom designed processor in the Xbox Series X leverages AMD's latest Zen 2 CPU architecture. Zen 2 provides a significant advancement in CPU performance delivering more than 4 times the performance of an Xbox One X.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
The below really stood out to me and made me to hyped for this beast to be in my hands!

news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...

DirectML x DirectStorage 😍

Status
Not open for further replies.