• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Licensing an IP is one thing, but outright selling them is kind of beyond dumb and I doubt Konami even if they aren't using them are going to sell their IP.

I've seen those rumors about Konami selling Castlevania, Metal Gear and Silent Hill to Sony, no way. Maybe they'd license one of them, and sure Silent Hill been down for a while so it's probably the best candidate, but still. Only way I see it happening is if they're actually trying to pull out of western markets and console games, which was a rumor a few years back, and even then they'd never fully part with any of those IP, especially Castlevania, because they use them for Pachinko machines and the Castlevania anime is hot right now. So they'd only sell them if they could maintain all other rights (besides video games) in perpetuity.

If those rumors end up being true, I'll eat everyone's hat.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen those rumors about Konami selling Castlevania, Metal Gear and Silent Hill to Sony, no way. Maybe they'd license one of them, and sure Silent Hill been down for a while so it's probably the best candidate, but still. Only way I see it happening is if they're actually trying to pull out of western markets and console games, which was a rumor a few years back, and even then they'd never fully part with any of those IP, especially Castlevania, because they use them for Pachinko machines and the Castlevania anime is hot right now. So they'd only sell them if they could maintain all other rights (besides video games) in perpetuity.

Konami gave up on console gaming years ago.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

Konami use those ip's in their pachinko machines. No way they sell the IP. They make far easier money on gambling machines than games. I don't believe they sold those IP's. Farm them out maybe but they have sotn in the mobile space. I don't see a way they would sell the IP even if they don't make games for console very frequently.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Has there been any news or updates for Cuphead Delicious Last Course? I haven't read anything except "2020". I hope that along with the DLC, they update the game to allow players to access the "cut content" if they want to play on simple mode. I love the art, music, etc., but it's just a little too hardcore for me and I'd like to see the rest of the game. I've beaten Ori 2, Hollow Knight, etc., but something about Cuphead feels...impossible at times. I just can't "get good".

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

True.

Oct 25, 2017
gHu1WbMe_400x400.jpg

Yeah... could be the Lockhart mobo?

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Konami use those ip's in their pachinko machines. No way they sell the IP. They make far easier money on gambling machines than games. I don't believe they sold those IP's. Farm them out maybe but they have sotn in the mobile space. I don't see a way they would sell the IP even if they don't make games for console very frequently.

They could sell the videogame rights. Kind of like how Microsoft obtained those FASA licenses like Shadowrun and Battletech years ago. I theorize one of the reasons Microsoft didn't bring those FASA licenses back is because they can't capitalize on the other merchandizing opportunities. I could absolutely see Konami selling the videogame rights to their franchises but keeping them for everything else. Might be a win/win if Sony can bolster the name recognition of them even further.

I'm not saying I believe the supposed insider. I do believe it's a rumor that is at least logical and ties back to Sonys stated aggressiveness for exclusive rights to established 3rd party IPs.

I think after Minecraft opened Microsoft's eyes, they only want to invest in IP that they own outright. My bet is Microsoft wouldn't be interested in sharing the licenses where as Sony is just all in on moving consoles.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ori 2 is a fascinating ride but with the technical issues it has I'm not too bummed if it doesn't stick to 90 in the end. Me and my fiancé encountered enormous technical issues both on X and S, including a game world that failed to load half a dozen times in a row making us fear a corrupted save. Game is an incredible achievement in many ways but an extra 2-3 months of fixing and polishing wouldn't have hurt surely.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I mentioned the hope of MS going after Konami's IP some time back so if this were to turn out true for Sony I'd see it as a major missed opportunity for MS. It sounds too good to be true but man would that be a megaton if it happened.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned the hope of MS going after Konami's IP some time back so if this were to turn out true for Sony I'd see it as a major missed opportunity for MS. It sounds too good to be true but man would that be a megaton if it happened.
Mostly because MS right now doesn't need "rumors" to keep the company running.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Those rumors sound beyond fake and wishful thinking. Konami may not be making a new Silent Hill or mainline Metal Gear soon, but they still make bank with licensed content, merchandising, remasters and whatnot (pachinkos, hehe). Metal Gear Solid in particular, is a franchise, is worth a sum that Sony could use to fund various other triple-A games, and this generation they showed that they get on by just fine with new IPs between Horizon, Bloodborne and so on. Feels like such a colossal waste of money to buy those IPs, not that Konami would consider selling the few videogame assets worth a shit they have.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
MS is already sitting on so many great but dormant IPs. Don't see why they should bother with Konami's.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Sony was buying Bethesda last month or so. Or so they told us. Didn't happen. Now it's about Konami IPs. Chill out, guys.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Those rumors sound beyond fake and wishful thinking. Konami may not be making a new Silent Hill or mainline Metal Gear soon, but they still make bank with licensed content, merchandising, remasters and whatnot (pachinkos, hehe). Metal Gear Solid in particular, is a franchise, is worth a sum that Sony could use to fund various other triple-A games, and this generation they showed that they get on by just fine with new IPs between Horizon, Bloodborne and so on. Feels like such a colossal waste of money to buy those IPs, not that Konami would consider selling the few videogame assets worth a shit they have.

I agree it's likely fake but as OneBadMutha pointed out, there are other ways they could work such a deal out, while still retaining the license to those IP for use in their pachinkos or whatever.

I'd wager MGS as an IP would be more than worth the expense to have exclusively indefinitely for Sony along with the fact that they're tied to Kojima. And it's not like Sony is scrapped for cash to fund their AAA games, they can do both.

MS is already sitting on so many great but dormant IPs. Don't see why they should bother with Konami's.

Can you name a single dormant IP of MS' that touches MGS, Castlevania, or Silent Hill?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Can you name a single dormant IP of MS' that touches MGS, Castlevania, or Silent Hill?
Fable and Banjo-Kazooie.

Edit: TBH we don't really know what Silent Hill and Castlevania's brand power is like nowadays. Castlevania hasn't been a prominent IP since the DS days and Silent Hill has struggled since the PS2 era.

Of course, a fantastic new game would probably bring those IPs back into the limelight. The same could be said for IPs such as Shadowrun and Perfect Dark though.

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Fable and Banjo-Kazooie.

Edit: TBH we don't really know what Silent Hill and Castlevania's brand power is like nowadays. Castlevania hasn't been a prominent IP since the DS days and Silent Hill has struggled since the PS2 era.

Of course, a fantastic new game would probably bring those IPs back into the limelight. The same could be said for IPs such as Shadowrun and Perfect Dark though.

Neither of those touch the legacy or prestige of those franchises. Let's not kid ourselves. Furthermore, Fable is all but assured to be in development so that hardly counts as dormant.

Castlevania is still a strong IP as evident by the reception the anime has garnered on Netflix. Sony funding a, AAA third person, action, adventure Castlevania would sell like gangbusters and that's a fact.

I shouldn't even have to comment on the brand recognition and more importantly, the fan demand of Silent Hill.

Both are more prominent in the gaming culture than either Fable or Banjo.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I don't want to bring up too much from the other place, but one of the alleged insiders from there did hint at something around Konami and Capcom each doing deals with different console manufacturers.

If this Konami thing turns out to be true, we might be seeing some Xbox-related announcements from Capcom. Maybe.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Neither of those touch the legacy or prestige of those franchises. Let's not kid ourselves. Furthermore, Fable is all but assured to be in development so that hardly counts as dormant.

Castlevania is still a strong IP as evident by the reception the anime has garnered on Netflix. Sony funding a, AAA third person, action, adventure Castlevania would sell like gangbusters and that's a fact.

I shouldn't even have to comment on the brand recognition and more importantly, the fan demand of Silent Hill.

Era sure way overestimated Japanese action game's popularity.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

Silent Hill is not as big as you think it is. As of Dec 2018 the entire series had sold a combined number of 9 million units. Given how many releases that series has had, it's not really an impressive number.

Castlevania hasn't been a big seller since the DS days, actually. I agree that both of them have big legacies, but I wouldn't say that they're in a league of their own compared to my examples. Yes, a good game would give Castlevania a boost. The same would also happen for Banjo-Kazooie.

Banjo-Kazooie is absolutely competitive as far as sales numbers go, at least.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020

I've been gaming since the early 90's and have never played a game under those two IPs. Is Silent Hill a horror game? Do they even sell well anymore?

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Era sure way overestimated Japanese action game's popularity.

The issue is this supposed overestimation of Japanese games isn't bound to just Era. People absolutely love these franchises, and that goes for both consumers and journalists alike everywhere.

Silent Hill is not as big as you think it is. As of Dec 2018 the entire series had sold a combined number of 9 million units. Given how many releases that series has had, it's not really an impressive number.

Castlevania hasn't been a big seller since the DS days, actually. I agree that both of them have big legacies, but I wouldn't say that they're in a league of their own compared to my examples. Yes, a good game would give Castlevania a boost. The same would also happen for Banjo-Kazooie.

Banjo-Kazooie is absolutely competitive as far as sales numbers go, at least.

Silent Hill is a household name in the gaming community and highly in demand by the Sony faithful. Past sales are irrelevant, even though 9 million total sales with mediocre entries in the series isn't at all bad, I guarantee a, AAA funded Silent Hill directed by Kojima exclusive to the Playstation brand would outdo Banjo, and possibly Fable as well with the userbase Sony now has.

You're speaking of Banjo when Rare was with Nintendo. They don't have that clout or even nearly as much fan demand as they did in the Nintendo 64's heyday.

I love all the franchises here but being realistic, there is no way Fable or Banjo are touching MGS, Silent Hill and Castlevania currently in the lexicon of gaming.

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I've been gaming since the early 90's and have never played a game under those two IPs. Is Silent Hill a horror game? Do they even sell well anymore?

You've never played a MGS or Silent Hill game and you've been gaming since the 90's? Ok. You've still heard of them, and you've at the very least seen the reverence MGS carries with it.

Silent Hill is a horror game yes, and as was pointed out has a total of 9 million copies sold across six games I believe, with some of them being mediocre. It also had a movie released for it. Kojima was directing the "reboot" for it before his situation with Konami and it had major interest. Hell, it still does.

Last edited:

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill is a household name in the gaming community and highly in demand by the Sony faithful. Past sales are irrelevant, even though 9 million total sales with mediocre entries in the series isn't at all bad, I guarantee a, AAA funded Silent Hill directed by Kojima exclusive to the Playstation brand would outdo Banjo, and possibly Fable as well with the usebase Sony now has.

You're speaking of Banjo when Rare was with Nintendo. They don't have that clout or even nearly as much fan demand as they did in the Nintendo 64's heyday.

I love all the franchises here but being realistic, there is no way Fable or Banjo are touching MGS, Silent Hill and Castlevania currently in the lexicon of gaming.
I assure you there is still a lot of fan demand for Banjo-Kazooie. Maybe you're looking in the wrong places.

Silent Hill is a horror game yes, and as was pointed out has a total of 9 million copies sold across six games I believe, with some of them being mediocre.
Eight mainline games and four spinoffs/re-releases.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

Banjo is definitely at that level. I don't believe that Fable is but bear and bird can't be denied. Look at the response to the smash reveal and the way fans beg for threeie

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
You've never played a MGS or Silent Hill game and you've been gaming since the 90's? Ok. You've still heard of them, and you'veat the verry least seen the reverence MGS carries with it.

Silent Hill is a horror game yes, and as was pointed out has a total of 9 million copies sold across six games I believe, with some of them being mediocre. It also had a movie released for it. Kojima was directing the "reboot" for it before his situation with Konami and it had major interest. Hell, it still does.

The only place I've seen interest in MGS and Silent Hill is online gaming forums, but I could probably count the number of AAA games from asia that I've played on one hand. I think Banjo is pretty big for a lot of people's nostalgia and I'm sure the Fable games would of flown past 9 million sold if it had six games. Wouldn't be surprised if the trilogy had sold 9 million but I've no idea.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to finally catch up on the Gears series by starting 4, graphically the game holds up really well on the X - but I'm noticing some weird hitching occasionally, is that a frame rate issue or is it to do with the X enhancements ?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The only place I've seen interest in MGS and Silent Hill is online gaming forums, but I could probably count the number of AAA games from asia that I've played on one hand. I think Banjo is pretty big for a lot of people's nostalgia and I'm sure the Fable games would of flown past 9 million sold if it had six games. Wouldn't be surprised if the trilogy had sold 9 million but I've no idea.
MGS is a big franchise. Silent Hill and Castlevania not so much. They could become big with the right people and resources, but so could a lot of franchises.

Each of the mainline Fable releases were multi-million sellers afaik. Fable III reached 5 million units (admittedly with the help of bundles for the last stretch).

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This video is all the proof one needs.

That's a pretty self-selecting audience, though. Like, yes, Nintendo fans who go to the Nintendo store to watch the E3 direct know and love Banjo-Kazooie. I think there are a lot of people who have never heard of B-K, though.

Meanwhile, Castlevania has decades more history, has lent its name to a genre, and has a popular show on Netflix. I'm a huge B-K fan and I wouldn't say it's on the level of CV/MG/SH.

The truth is — and none of you will like this — we know Microsoft doesn't have any dormant franchises that are on the level of Castlevania or Metal Gear of Silent Hill because if they did have those sorts of franchises they would churn the shit out of them. I'm not saying that to be negative, it just is. This is the same company that pumps out a new Gears every three years regardless of apparent interest outside the Xboxosphere; they absolutely wouldn't just sit on a franchise on the level of CV or MG or SH and let it go dormant. They would 100% have a dedicated studio with a "cool" name like The Silent for any IP on that level, so that they could regularly deliver that branded content.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

Banjo is definitely at that level. I don't believe that Fable is but bear and bird can't be denied. Look at the response to the smash reveal and the way fans beg for threeie

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I assure you there is still a lot of fan demand for Banjo-Kazooie. Maybe you're looking in the wrong places.

Not nearly as much as MGS and Silent Hill assured and again you're speaking of Banjo in it's heyday with Nintendo. They don't have nearly the fan interest unless it's within a Nintendo product, as evident by the video of Smash fans happy to see them return in some capacity to a Nintendo console.

No, Banjo is definitely not on that level, and as I pointed out above that video showcased Smash fanboys happy to see the characters back in a Nintendo product not just because.

Fable is much more popular nowadays for sure.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Didn't expect they would allow such an in-depth look into the console right now. Also surprised they let someone external do it rather than have Phil doing some magic. But then people right now are mostly at home, got time and might be craving for something different than Corona. Interesting choice for sure. Also seems they're still committed to the holiday 2020 launch.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Holy shit at all this XSX stuff. Where did that come from? Wow!

So if we look at the full specs, we now know the ram and CPU as well, how happy should we be about those?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Not nearly as much as MGS and Silent Hill assured and again you're speaking of Banjo in it's heyday with Nintendo. They don't have nearly the fan interest unless it's within a Nintendo product, as evident by the video of Smash fans happy to see them return in some capacity to a Nintendo console.
I'm not comparing Banjo to MGS. I'm comparing it to Silent Hill and Castlevania. Silent Hill is much less popular than MGS so I don't understand why you keep mentioning them in the same sentence.

Fable is comparable to MGS. Banjo is comparable to Silent Hill and Castlevania.

As for your argument about Banjo's audience being on a different console. The same could be said about Castlevania. Historically it has been more closely aligned with Nintendo's systems than Sony's.

Status
Not open for further replies.