• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I don't think that's the point at all. The point is he has rules for interacting with him on twitter, and if you break those rules, he doesn't like you and will block you. IIRC He used to not mind people tweeting in English until it became evident that a lot of the English tweets were degenerate and trolling. Don't think this has anything to do with racism.

Hmm...Looking it over, you may be correct.

Anyway, why is everyone ignoring my posts about the Series S price above? 🙄

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps racist is not the correct word. Vile garage of a person maybe?

Maybe you're just taking this very personally? This seems like not a big deal to me. If you follow him you'd gather this is a response to threats, harassment, and slurs that frequently pop up in posts directed at him. It's pretty clear he doesn't hate people that speak English, is it the word Insect that's the problem?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
LOL who is going to open that small picture of a header when it's not listed in his rules? Oh, that's a pass right? So if another developer in the western world says "IF you tweet me in any other language than English you ARE AN insect and will be blocked! I repeat, 1000000 times you are an insect and will be blocked if you can't type english" They are okay right? Just going by your defense.

lol if that really happened, oh boy. Talk about FIRE. I doubt even the craziest, like CliffB, couldn't pull that off.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL who is going to open that small picture of a header when it's not listed in his rules? Oh, that's a pass right? So if another developer in the western world says "IF you tweet me in any other language than English you ARE AN insect and will be blocked! I repeat, 1000000 times you are an insect and will be blocked if you can't type english" They are okay right? Just going by your defense.

lol if that really happened, oh boy. Talk about FIRE. I doubt even the craziest, like CliffB, couldn't pull that off.

If I got tweeted at super frequently in a foreign language and the vast majority of it was just

I'd probably start auto blocking every unsolicited tweet in that language too

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not trying to say that his behaviour isn't strange. He has always been kind of weird on Twitter. He has zero tolerance for people who ask him repeat questions, for example. I've never tweeted at him out of fear of getting blocked.

The only thing I wanted to explain was that there wasn't racist intentions behind Kamiya's tweet.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
oof - if this did happen, i personally think it needs to be restarted from scratch. the current build they showed off scapped tbh. none of that carried over and they do it with a fresh pair of socks one might say. specially built with next-gen in mind. gamepass and all that jazzerific stuff
Agree, but because I want to see what Kamiya's Scalebound was gonna be before meddling.
I remember that between the first (huge mantis one, single player) and the second (huge crab, co-op) showing, he tweeted pretty mad at MS because seemingly they wanted him to change things (can't remember if it was from a reliable source, but I remember at the time hearing it was the co-op that MS wanted and wasn't present at first)
Do you know if this is going to be a physical game or a video game? Reading that page, couldn't find the right info.
The page talks about an engine, so I assumed it was a video game
I don't think that's the point at all. The point is he has rules for interacting with him on twitter, and if you break those rules, he doesn't like you and will block you. IIRC He used to not mind people tweeting in English until it became evident that a lot of the English tweets were degenerate and trolling. Don't think this has anything to do with racism.
I suffered the change in my own flesh hahah
He retweeted me when I played Okami HD a couple years ago and sent him a tweet saying I just played it on my Xbox and that I saw why it was so highly regarded.
Then a few months ago he blocked me for wishing for him to be able to make Scalebound one day (I made it easy for him as my tweet started "I read your rules and know what I'm exposing to..." hahah)
Hmm...Looking it over, you may be correct.

Anyway, why is everyone ignoring my posts about the Series S price above? 🙄
Hmmm.. either people haven't noticed or maybe because it talks about yesterday's AMD conference and nothing was shown.
Seems it was just a rumor and that rumor reached even China

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
If I got tweeted at super frequently in a foreign language and the vast majority of it was just

I'd probably start auto blocking every unsolicited tweet in that language too

i would block too, but was it necessary to go down to their level and call anyone insects who may speak a language other than japanese? whatever though. each their own. i dont like him anymore nor see any defense viable on his actions passed blocking.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Maybe you're just taking this very personally? This seems like not a big deal to me. If you follow him you'd gather this is a response to threats, harassment, and slurs that frequently pop up in posts directed at him. It's pretty clear he doesn't hate people that speak English, is it the word Insect that's the problem?

I'll just play devils advocate here for a minute, but I think the problem is the sentiment of "don't tweet me unless it's in Japanese" sounds an awful lot like "just learn English if you want to do XYZ".

Personally I don't see the two as equal, but I get why other people would. To me the difference is he's talking about people trying to have a conversation with him not in Japanese vs, say, ride a bus. It'd get pretty annoying to have hundreds of messages in languages you're not confident in, I get that. Even if you speak another language, it's not always easy to converse in it, especially if you don't use it or hear it used regularly. Whenever someone speaks to me in Japanese, even if I understand them, I have a tendency to freeze up and not be able to respond, and then I think of the reply later on the train or something. I've also seen Japanese people do that when spoken to in English. Not exactly the same on Twitter, since it's not on the spot, but I kind of get it. He is definitely being a dick about it though.

I guess I kind of advocated for everyone there. All the devils.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i would block too, but was it necessary to go down to their level and call anyone insects who may speak a language other than japanese? whatever though. each their own. i dont like him anymore nor see any defense viable on his actions passed blocking.

pretty sure he never said that. But anyway, if it really is something that bothers you, I suggest making a dedicated thread to it if you want some more insight and nuanced conversation about it.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Speaking about Gears of War, they could launch a DLC with a new set of cards of the Lambent Pandemic and with it comes a new story mode and characters.
OK, so a new set of physical cards that comes with a DLC code for Gears 5 for example?
I am trying to understand how a physical card game and DLC would fit together.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
OK, so a new set of physical cards that comes with a DLC code for Gears 5 for example?

No, that's not it. As I said, besides the new cards that would come with a DLC, they can bring a new story and, more importantly, new rules. So that if you opt to play the DLC the game changes more thant only the cards. It's a pretty common thing in both tabletop and card games, I recommend to play one of them sometimes, there are some stores where you can play paying a fee so you don't need to buy the game per se.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm confused too. These box games often have Expansions? Which might be what they mean.

But yeah 100% a physical card game. Dev doesn't do video games, if it was a video game the announce would have been saved for a bigger event, and the page talks about pre-orders, but no beta tests of any kind.

I don't know what engine people were taking about?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The page talks about an engine, so I assumed it was a video game

An "engine" could also refer to a set of premade reusable designs, when it comes to physical card games. Something that does happen, as generic-enough designs can be themed for a particular universe.

Take Monopoly, for example, core designs are reusable across games, with the "Monopoly engine" driving the WoW themed, the Batman themed, the whatever themed Monopoly games.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
No, that's not it. As I said, besides the new cards that would come with a DLC, they can bring a new story and, more importantly, new rules. So that if you opt to play the DLC the game changes more thant only the cards. It's a pretty common thing in both tabletop and card games, I recommend to play one of them sometimes, there are some stores where you can play paying a fee so you don't need to buy the game per se.

OK, I think I understand.
I used to play Hero Quest a long time ago which had five addons (in Europe at least) that came with rule changes. I was just having difficulties associating the term 'DLC' with a physical game.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Smaller indie teams don't always have the resources to do every platforms at once, so they have to chose. Generally, if no one has offered them money to chose one over the other and all other things like revenue split and time to certification being the same, they'll chose the one you have more experience with or the one with the better / bigger audience for your game, or some combination of the two. Then if the game does well on the first platform, you can try for the other one.
That's kind of my point. In this scenario Xbox is the smaller platform so they will cater to the platform that isn't Xbox.

Jan 4, 2018
An "engine" could also refer to a set of premade reusable designs, when it comes to physical card games. Something that does happen, as generic-enough designs can be themed for a particular universe.

Take Monopoly, for example, core designs are reusable across games, with the "Monopoly engine" driving the WoW themed, the Batman themed, the whatever themed Monopoly games.
Hmmmm... thanks, I learned something

So it's kinda like what the other day we were talking here about how Shenmue and Yakuza seem made with the same template but changing the tone and setting

One Night

Jun 6, 2018
Are the likes of Age of Empires IV, Everwild, Project: Mara and Senua's Saga: Hellblade II most likely 2021?

Even though these two will be Global Publishing hopefully we will see The Falconeer and Tunic in 2020.

Worth mentioning Space Engineers comes out on April 15th which is currently console exclusive to Xbox. KartRider: Drift also currently console exclusive to Xbox and think it is maybe Spring or Summer (?)
Yeah 2021 would be my guess. Although when Hellblade II was revealed at the end of 2019 Phil said it was "early in development", so I wouldn't be surprised if it releases in 2022.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
OK, I think I understand.
I used to play Hero Quest a long time ago which had five addons (in Europe at least) that came with rule changes. I was just having difficulties associating the term 'DLC' with a physical game.

Yeah, that's weird now that I think because DLC means (downloadable content), but that's how I call them. sorry haha

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know Phil's email?

"I want to make Scalebound, email Microsoft" Hideki Kamiya

I know the email
i will send this:
giphy.gif

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
That's kind of my point. In this scenario Xbox is the smaller platform so they will cater to the platform that isn't Xbox.

Depends. If you've already got a reliable audience on Xbox that you know will show up you may opt for them, or if you're making a game in a genre that generally sells better on Xbox. Plus other reasons like experience of developers, pipelines, QA, developer accounts and dev kits. There's lots of reasons to chose PS4 or Xbox, and the reasons won't be the same for every studio.

My point was more about small studios that can only develop one version of their game at a time, not large teams like Remedy or Bungie that have the resources to develop both versions at the same time.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017

Quote me and we'll get them on the list! 💚

Not really a question but something to have a conversation on re: Halo Infinite and flighting.

Do you think it's possible that Series X could be part of a test flight by utilising xCloud? For example the Xbox One version could be a standard beta download for Xbox one consoles, but to test cross platform you could use xcloud running Series X blades? Could double as a test for improving xcloud and series x network performance. Would be interesting.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Depends. If you've already got a reliable audience on Xbox that you know will show up you may opt for them, or if you're making a game in a genre that generally sells better on Xbox. Plus other reasons like experience of developers, pipelines, QA, developer accounts and dev kits. There's lots of reasons to chose PS4 or Xbox, and the reasons won't be the same for every studio.

My point was more about small studios that can only develop one version of their game at a time, not large teams like Remedy or Bungie that have the resources to develop both versions at the same time.
I agree, all I'm saying is won't bet on those smaller scale studios supporting Xbox first. I won't be surprised if Sony or Nintendo has deals with Moon or Studio MDR that leave Xbox fans out us all.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I agree, all I'm saying is won't bet on those smaller scale studios supporting Xbox first. I won't be surprised if Sony or Nintendo has deals with Moon or Studio MDR that leave Xbox fans out us all.

Oh yeah, no, that's fair. All things being equal though, it happens on both sides. Obviously publishing deals change things, but so much of this is behind the scenes stuff we'll never know for sure.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt that. They probably won't support Xbox first, but they won't exclude Xbox either. Maintaing good relationships is key.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I highly doubt that. They probably won't support Xbox first, but they won't exclude Xbox either. Maintaing good relationships is key.
"Oh you made a PlayStation Exclusive game behind our backs once? We're never funding a single one of your ambitious and prestigious projects ever again!"
-Probably not a quote we'll hear from Microsoft.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Oh you made a PlayStation Exclusive game behind our backs once? We're never funding a single one of your ambitious and prestigious projects ever again!"
-Probably not a quote we'll hear from Microsoft.
LOL Yeah, they ain't that petty. Business is business. Studio MHR or Moon studios are more concerned with making great multi-platform games that are both critically and commercially successful with IP's they own.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Remedy signed a marketing deal with Sony.
I think that was actually 505 that did the deal with Sony, right? I mean, they are the publisher and that's usually how those kind of deals work.

Just imagine if it happened, people would stop caring about the game just like before.
The game was cancelled for a reason.
Scalebound was my most anticipated game for 3 years...... more so than Gears 4 (and Gears is my favorite gaming franchise).

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Just imagine if it happened, people would stop caring about the game just like before.
The game was cancelled for a reason.

Don't do this. Some people wanted Scalebound, I wanted Scalebound, it's a big part of why I bought an Xbox One in the first place.

People need to stop retroactively and universally shitting on games that didn't come out. If you didn't like what was shown that's fine, some people did. There's lots of things that lead to the cancelation of a project like that, and we'll never know if the final product would have been good or bad.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Agree. I was amazingly hyped for it (it was Kamiya's dream game, how could I not be), and I thought it looked promising.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I don't even like JRPGs (is it one though?), but I certainly think people were being super harsh about Scalebound.

Poor and rushed showings certainly didn't help it, but the game had a lot of potential.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean, Platinum is obviously talented and Microsoft is in a better/different spot than they were 4-5 years ago. I wouldn't mind them hitting a soft reset on the game and finally making it a reality, especially if Kamiya and Platinum are so passionate about working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.