• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Im pretty sure r/gearsofwar is one of the most toxic places on the internet. I was reading through some posts there and they do absolutely nothing but bitch and attack the developers at the coalition and call them talentless. r/halo is pretty bad too with their 343i hate boner

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Wonder if MS planned for some GDC announcements that need to happen independently now? Would make sense that we hear something new in March.

Don't get your hopes up for a handheld folks, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do show Lockhart sooner rather than later.

Edit: and if they do I expect some solid next gen game footage, they will have to "show not tell" in order to prove Series S is a real next gen leap.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The chances of Xbox releasing Lockhart as a handheld console are approximately zero percent. Trying to appeal to a more mobile experience appears to be a major part of the impetus behind Project xCloud.

Nor do I know how you'd even begin to sufficiently ventilate a handheld console with Lockhart's rumoured specs.

Im pretty sure r/gearsofwar is one of the most toxic places on the internet. I was reading through some posts there and they do absolutely nothing but bitch and attack the developers at the coalition and call them talentless.

The Gears of War forum is just as bad. I actually think the verbal abuse may have been part of why Rod Fergusson left. Their lead multiplayer designer, Ryan Cleven, also has basically disappeared from social media since late last year - I suspect for the same reason.

While obviously I don't share the vitriol, people do have just cause to be upset with how The Coalition have handled Gears 5's multiplayer. It's been a certifiable tire fire since launch, and they've been less-than-responsive to a lot of it. Multiplayer's monetization also hasn't helped matters.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
The Gears of War forum is just as bad. I actually think the verbal abuse may have been part of why Rod Fergusson left. Their lead multiplayer designer, Ryan Cleven, also has basically disappeared from social media since late last year - I suspect for the same reason.

While obviously I don't share the vitriol, people do have just cause to be upset with how The Coalition have handled Gears 5's multiplayer. It's been a certifiable tire fire since launch, and they've been less-than-responsive to a lot of it. Multiplayer's monetization also hasn't helped matters.
Yeah they have every right to be upset, but the way they are doing it isnt healthy

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Wonder if MS planned for some GDC announcements that need to happen independently now? Would make sense that we hear something new in March.

Don't get your hopes up for a handheld folks, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do show Lockhart sooner rather than later.

Edit: and if they do I expect some solid next gen game footage, they will have to "show not tell" in order to prove Series S is a real next gen leap.
I'm ready for XSS some crazy design like the XSX. A cube.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

The expectation is that the Series S will be spec'd to run the same games at a lower resolution, so assuming they accomplish that there wouldn't be much to show.

Personally, I'm still not convinced of a couple of things.

1) I'm not convinced Lockhart/Series S comes out before holiday 2021. They will want to focus manufacturing on cranking out as many Series X's as possible, not splitting those precious resources between two models - one of which is essentially a budget option. Plus, it runs the risk of muddying their focused next-gen messaging by immediately having two models with nothing but a letter to distinguish them.

Lockhart was also believed to have been mothballed by Microsoft until roughly fall last year, and I'm not sure how you'd have a console in mothballs ~16-18 months before it's supposed to come out.

2) I'm still not convinced Lockhart is what we think it is. This 4 TFLOPS rumour seems to have taken root, but strikes me as skirting very close to the line in terms of the power required to reliably translate Series X games to something like 1080p or 1440p. There was a more recent leak suggesting it could be closer to 7 TFLOPS, which I think is more realistic.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The expectation is that the Series S will be spec'd to run the same games at a lower resolution, so assuming they accomplish that there wouldn't be much to show.

Personally, I'm still not convinced of a couple of things.

1) I'm not convinced Lockhart/Series S comes out before holiday 2021. They will want to focus manufacturing on cranking out as many Series X's as possible, not splitting those precious resources between two models - one of which is essentially a budget option. Plus, it runs the risk of muddying their focused next-gen messaging by immediately having two models with nothing but a letter to distinguish them.

Lockhart was also believed to have been mothballed by Microsoft until roughly fall last year, and I'm not sure how you'd have a console in mothballs ~16-18 months before it's supposed to come out.

2) I'm still not convinced Lockhart is what we think it is. This 4 TFLOPS rumour seems to have taken root, but strikes me as skirting very close to the line in terms of the power required to reliably translate Series X games to something like 1080p or 1440p. There was a more recent leak suggesting it could be closer to 7 TFLOPS, which I think is more realistic.

I too would think 4TF is too close to the line... but when I remember devs will have access to advancements like like VRS and modern upscaling techniques, I believe that devs who can't quite get a simple, native 1080p translation would still be able to produce a high quality final image with 4TF

If it looks nothing like the XSX I don't know if that will cause more or less confusion tbh.

I think people vastly overestimate how confused consumers will generally get over such things.

The price will be the main distinguishing factor. The names "Series X" and "Series S" would be a simple, understandable continuation of the standard set by Xbox one X and Xbox one S.

The shape/look of these two boxes wouldnt play a factor in whether or not purchasers understand what they are buying, IMO

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If it looks nothing like the XSX I don't know if that will cause more or less confusion tbh.

My wild guess would be a box that looks roughly like the Xbox One X, but flat in the front, and with the same type of plastic and styling as the Series X. And maybe smaller.

I don't think anyone in a position to be confused about next-gen consoles is really buying or identifying them based on shape anyway.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
I too would think 4TF is too close to the line... but when I remember devs will have access to advancements like like VRS and modern upscaling techniques, I believe that devs who can't quite get a simple, native 1080p translation would still be able to produce a high quality final image with 4TF

I think people vastly overestimate how confused consumers will generally get over such things.

The price will be the main distinguishing factor. The names "Series X" and "Series S" would be a simple, understandable continuation of the standard set by Xbox one X and Xbox one S.

The shape/look of these two boxes wouldnt play a factor in whether or not purchasers understand what they are buying, IMO
My wild guess would be a box that looks roughly like the Xbox One X, but flat in the front, and with the same type of plastic and styling as the Series X. And maybe smaller.

I don't think anyone in a position to be confused about next-gen consoles is really buying or identifying them based on shape anyway.
True true. It's all about that price tag.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

The problem is that the Series X also has access to features like VRS, so what happens when devs are using techniques like that to really push the Series X to it's limits? A "Series S" won't be able to use VRS to try and make up ground in that scenario.

You could end up with a situation roughly analogous to today, where games on the One X look and run well, but the standard Xbox One is really struggling to keep up. Or perhaps even worse, a situation where the Series S version is artifically holding back what devs do with the Series X version.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
A random person: The sky is blue.

This thread:
a_gray_state_david_crowley_courtesy_a_e_indie_films_and_first_run_features.jpg

Blue, you say? That's a neatly expected colour for the sky. And the grass is green, I suppose? Which console uses green, I wonder... Also, there seem to be some points on that picture...

Bluepoint acquisition incoming!!!
jk

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that the Series X also has access to features like VRS, so what happens when devs are using techniques like that to really push the Series X to it's limits? A "Series S" won't be able to use VRS to try and make up ground in that scenario.

You could end up with a situation roughly analogous to today, where games on the One X look and run well, but the standard Xbox One is really struggling to keep up. Or perhaps even worse, a situation where the Series S version is artifically holding back what devs do with the Series X version.

I think a dev who goes all out on the graphical effects of the XSX, to the point that quartering the resolution results in a native image below 1080p would have some decisions to make. If modern upscaling isnt enough to produce a high quality final image, they'd tone down/off superficial effects until they could get the native resolution high enough to upscale. I don't think it would be a matter of the Series S "struggling" to keep up - it would be a dev making choices to maintain performance - like with any port. But when I see how good Control looks when taking a 720p internal resolution to 1080p , I think a 4TF Lockhart should be just fine.

This dynamic wouldnt go away with a 7TF Series S, but it would be much easier to deal with, as theyd be coming in at much higher resolutions. But MS' dilemma would be asking themselves if simplification of the porting process is worth perhaps not being able to hit the ideal price point.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Didn't realize my gif wasn't working. Fixed it.

Looking at Shinobi's tease, I couldnt help but think it was about Halo remembering its roots, then returning to take its place as king.

"You are more than what you have become"

"How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be"

Sounds like an argument ripped from a halo discussion board lol

Last edited:

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Im pretty sure r/gearsofwar is one of the most toxic places on the internet. I was reading through some posts there and they do absolutely nothing but bitch and attack the developers at the coalition and call them talentless. r/halo is pretty bad too with their 343i hate boner
Honestly, most communties tend to be pretty toxic to the developer. Especially if the game isn't exactly what the fans wanted (which it rarely is). r/GhostRecon is fairly bad. r/AnthemtheGame was pretty bad back when I frequented it. r/DestinytheGame tends to ebb and flow with regards to how much hate Bungie actually gets.

I think most of it originates to how a lot of people like to be armchair developers (or whatever the kids are calling it these days). I like to think it comes from a good place, but after a while it starts to get fairly mean-spirited. There were literal death threats sent on the Ghost Recon subreddit after they announced a delay to a feature a lot of people think will save the game.

To be honest, I think game related subreddits were a mistake, and I say that as a person that follows a lot of them intently to stay up to date on games.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Didn't realize my gif wasn't working. Fixed it.

Looking at Shinobi's tease, I could help but think it was about Halo remembering its roots, then returning to take its place as king.

"You are more than what you have become"

"How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be"

Sounds like an argument ripped from a halo discussion board lol

Yeah definitely! Oh man I am all for Halo returning to greatness again.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wonder if they'll ultimately turn Bleeding Edge in to a Smash Bros type scenario by having lots of guest characters from other famous franchises being added (but with a BE twist to their art style).
That would be damn good. Something like that would be a perfect way to keep BE flowing.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Wonder if they'll ultimately turn Bleeding Edge in to a Smash Bros type scenario by having lots of guest characters from other famous franchises being added (but with a BE twist to their art style).

I think it's a bit more complicated to make characters for Bleeding Edge than for Smash Bros, but that would be great, for sure!

About that, I still think Ori would be a greaaaat character for a Smash Bros Ultimate DLC. I legit want that to happen.

Jan 4, 2018
Oh! Now that I think about it! Have you people looked at the quests rewards this month?
With that nerf to 1/10th of last month (except dailyes that are -50%) it's passed from being something I actively engage with and makes me jump into games I might not give a try otherwise to being ignored once again.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Being critical of 343 isn't inherently toxic

I mean, I believe you that r/halo sucks, but them understandably not being enthusiastic 343 fans is probably the last thing to worry about.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
I know it almost never ever happens but it sure would be great if someone from Sony or Microsoft showed up during these trying times.

We need someone to give us faith.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The Gears of War forum is just as bad. I actually think the verbal abuse may have been part of why Rod Fergusson left.
If he was trying to get away from verbal abuse, he wouldn't have gone to Blizzard. It will be just as bad there with their audience. Probably just the usual reason, more money, new challenge etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.