• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
You guys think we see resurgence of single player DLC or expansions from XGS going into next gen thanks to gamepass?

Felt like a few times this gen we've seen publishers test out expansions that can be sold as apart of a season pass but also be sold standalone. Infamous First Light, AC Freedom Cry, Xenoblade Torna.

Gamepass seems prime to be able to explore that with XGS titles. Usually the issue with expansions is they cost money but aren't played that much, however gamepass alleviates that some.

Imagine if after Gears 5 we got an expansion that told a stand-alone tale of how the Queen escaped and started the locust. it could be offered for players of Gears 5 but also be listed as a stand-alone tale on Xbox live and gampass.

seems like something that could help fill the colander year for gamepass releases.

I've been speculating on that for a while. Subscription services change how games need to be marketed so it makes sense to offer more things to buy alongside things to keep people subscribed, instead of just trying to get them to latch on to one game forever and buy stuff for that.

To that end, DLC makes a lot of sense for single player games, people sign up to play the best new RPGs that you keep bringing to the service then you release the DLC and they buy that and return to their favorites, or you include the DLC on the platform and they stay subbed for that. Same logic also works for cosmetic DLC I guess and things that aren't big single player expansions, but still, hope.

Ive definitely bought fewer games since subbing to game pass, but I've bought more DLC. It's all guesswork now, but I think we could see a big resurgence in single player games and story based DLC, which will keep interest in subscription programs. And then on the big multiplayer service type games I wouldn't be surprised to see battle pass like things included in future services from publishers. Times are a changing.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been speculating on that for a while. Subscription services change how games need to be marketed so it makes sense to offer more things to buy alongside things to keep people subscribed, instead of just trying to get them to latch on to one game forever and buy stuff for that.

To that end, DLC makes a lot of sense for single player games, people sign up to play the best new RPGs that you keep bringing to the service then you release the DLC and they buy that and return to their favorites, or you include the DLC on the platform and they stay subbed for that. Same logic also works for cosmetic DLC I guess and things that aren't big single player expansions, but still, hope.

Ive definitely bought fewer games since subbing to game pass, but I've bought more DLC. It's all guesswork now, but I think we could see a big resurgence in single player games and story based DLC, which will keep interest in subscription programs. And then on the big multiplayer service type games I wouldn't be surprised to see battle pass like things included in future services from publishers. Times are a changing.

I'd be curious to see them experiment on a single player service game. Trying to take how Gacha games are typically made and apply them to a traditional AA or AAA game.

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not really into the idea of single player story DLC's because most of them are complete and utter shit so i hope Game Pass doesn't make gaming go into that direction

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah these big news threads are fun for max 2 days. I mean i got my info about it and the starting fun but i have been here to long to know thats the max haha.
Same. I will drop into the PS5/Xbox Speculation thread that has become 90% that stupid contest about the PS5 reveal event. I just don't get it and how the MOD's are the ones that created that stupid contest. I mean if you want to make a dedicated thread for such a thing, they should of just done that. Anyways, I check that thread once every few days but usually it is just a shit show.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
So I just skimmed through the news section of the beastcast. Did they really not talk at all about Series X. I mean we managed 15 minutes on animal crossing. 20 minutes on ps5 logo last time. But new Xbox specs aren't even newsworthy enough to get a mention? I get it, they are not an Xbox podcast, and regularly remind of this. But... Still...

Please tell me I just missed it :/

TornRaptor

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Australia
So I just skimmed through the news section of the beastcast. Did they really not talk at all about Series X. I mean we managed 15 minutes on animal crossing. 20 minutes on ps5 logo last time. But new Xbox specs aren't even newsworthy enough to get a mention? I get it, they are not an Xbox podcast, and regularly remind of this. But... Still...

I figured they didn't touch on it because it was discussed on the bombcast.

coma

Oct 28, 2017

Need to save time to discuss The Sims for the 800th time.

Haven't listened to this week's episode yet.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

VinnyCaravella on Reddit said:
Jeff B. had that one pulled and researched so we had to pass on it after he unexpectedly had to take off.

Mar 26, 2019
Twitter folks "but but but it's only 2D so it can't be AAA and GoTY"
Celeste wasn't 3D and it won a few GOTY awards. Astro Bot was VR and won multiple GOTY awards. AAA doesn't equate to good, we've seen this countless times before. Look at Journey, iirc it was the most awarded game of 2012 and it was an indie. People need to look at games in 2 ways; Art and Entertainment, not AAA and 3D.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Twitter folks "but but but it's only 2D so it can't be AAA and GoTY"

Throwing shade at Twitter here is a little rich, considering how this forum imploded when Untitled Goose Game won DICE Game of the Year.

People in glass houses, and all that.

Anyway, Ori. I'm glad that it's dropping March 11, I had it in my head that it was March 27 for some reason. So that was a fun surprise. Can't wait.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Yeah, I bought 3 lots of 3mo console GP from cdkeys recently. That got me 6mo Ult for £20.37 (it was £6.79 at the time - it's actually 10p cheaper now haha).

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
If you have ultimate, it will convert. Any single-platform Game Pass sub gets downconverted to Ultimate, so those 3mo console subs will give you 2mo of ultimate.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many people pay full price for Game Pass Ultimate. Between the unreal conversion deal, Microsoft Rewards, and consistent sale prices, no one should ever need to pay more than half price (at most). Such an incredible deal.

I'm covered until August 2021, and have not paid more than $1 for 3 years of the service thanks to the conversion deal and Rewards points. It almost feels like theft.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I wonder how many people pay full price for Game Pass Ultimate. Between the unreal conversion deal, Microsoft Rewards, and consistent sale prices, no one should ever need to pay more than half price (at most). Such an incredible deal.

I'm covered until August 2021, and have not paid more than $1 for 3 years of the service thanks to the conversion deal and Rewards points. It almost feels like theft.
They earn money with the engagement you have to do for MS Rewards. No need to feel like it's theft ;)

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
P

I don't think I have paid for Game Pass since it was first released. Microsoft Rewards points go a long way. Although its been getting harder ever since they removed and upped the price of game pass rewards and removed the year option. Still, I am covered till like August right now, can probably at least get another 3 months of points towards game pass in that time.

Their catalog is probably to the point where I would probably continue paying for it if the deals dried up, it certainly wasn't always that way though.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
P
I don't think I have paid for Game Pass since it was first released. Microsoft Rewards points go a long way. Although its been getting harder ever since they removed and upped the price of game pass rewards and removed the year option. Still, I am covered till like August right now, can probably at least get another 3 months of points towards game pass in that time.

Their catalog is probably to the point where I would probably continue paying for it if the deals dried up, it certainly wasn't always that way though.

Yeah it's true that they've made it more expensive to redeem Game Pass Ultimate...takes much longer now unfortunately. But some of that is offset by how much easier it is to get points for just playing any Game Pass games. I have until August 2021 to accumulate more points though. I suspect I can earn another year by then just playing my games on Game Pass for the most part.

I agree about the improvement; for about the first year, the service was not worth what they charged IMO. The turning point was adding First Party games on Day 1 and much better selection of third party games too.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys need to give that dream up. It probably isn't ever happening. Forza is an established big brand. It's probably the biggest racing brand in games next to mario kart. You don't not utilize it in favor of a dormant IP

Nope, you use the Forza brand to reintroduce the dormant Ip.

Forza presents : Project Gotham Racing

Profit.

The PGR format is perfect for todays market where people want their games frequently updated with new challenges to complete.

PGR shouldn't be limited to one location.

The beauty of the series as a console launch title was that it appealed to many by having a number of real 1:1 global city locations. Not a single location, fake places, or racing tracks that only racing fans would likely be familiar with.

If I were making a PGR game in todays world, it would be an evergreen title. One or two extravagently detailed 1:1 urban environment at launch would provide hundreds of unique tracks for people to master, more if there's a map editor.

Before it gets stale, you drop another city

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I were making a PGR game in todays world, it would be an every green title. One or two extravagently detailed 1:1 urban environment at launch would provide hundreds of unique tracks for people to master, more if there's a map editor.

Before it gets stale, you drop another city

PGR3 had a map editor! Can't remember about 4.

I agree with your evergreen point, but the cool thing about having lots of maps at launch was that there was a local city map for a lot of people to feel like they were catered for.

Status
Not open for further replies.