• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Some of the maps are pretty damn big already, but yeah with an even larger scale it could be great for aircraft too for sure and would allow for a bigger player count too.

Yes, more varied AI for sure. Yesterday we got to fight against that little mech thing and I was like "why didn't you put this in the campaign as well. Instead of way too many Warden encounters?".

With that in mind I can't wait for them to finally reveal it at E3. They really have quite a bit to reveal, campaign, plenty of MP stuff. Taking into account how many years they've worked on this......promising!

If you mean the Grunt mech, the reason it's not in campaign is because it doesn't yet exist at that point in time. After the events of Halo 5, the Grunts ally with Cortana and get some sweet mechs into the bargain.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Some of the maps are pretty damn big already, but yeah with an even larger scale it could be great for aircraft too for sure and would allow for a bigger player count too.

Yes, more varied AI for sure. Yesterday we got to fight against that little mech thing and I was like "why didn't you put this in the campaign as well. Instead of way too many Warden encounters?".

With that in mind I can't wait for them to finally reveal it at E3. They really have quite a bit to reveal, campaign, plenty of MP stuff. Taking into account how many years they've worked on this......promising!
They must be able to finally add the Pelican right!

Also, time to add a drivable Scarab.

AI wise, they must be able to up things. Have various covenant factions, some infighting etc. Maybe have some. ODST's dropping in etc.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Eh. Sure, great exclusives don't hurt. But another way of saying "10 million sales" is "90% of PS4 owners don't care." The vast majority of interest in the platform is not driven by those games.

You're looking at it a little weird my man. Great exclusives don't simply not hurt, they help make the system more valuable. 10 million in sales from several franchises is no small feat even if the majority of gamers buy multi-plat games. They flock to the console because of the quality of those first party titles as it helps give the image of quality of the system itself. Exclusives, and quality ones at that are needed.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If you mean the Grunt mech, the reason it's not in campaign is because it doesn't yet exist at that point in time. After the events of Halo 5, the Grunts ally with Cortana and get some sweet mechs into the bargain.

Oh that's interesting, did that occur in a comic or in something else? Maybe that could mean we might see them as common enemy next to normal walking grunts and such, that be cool.

They must be able to finally add the Pelican right!

Also, time to add a drivable Scarab.

AI wise, they must be able to up things. Have various covenant factions, some infighting etc. Maybe have some. ODST's dropping in etc.

In terms of actual AI I find them incredibly smart and very accurate. We were playing on Heroic yesterday and those baddies accuracy was crazy. And I got hit by Ghosts several times too, lol.

Speaking of, how can you proper hijack a ghost? They easily do it to me but I can't seem to do it?

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Oh that's interesting, did that occur in a comic or in something else? Maybe that could mean we might see them as common enemy next to normal walking grunts and such, that be cool.

Speaking of, how can you proper hijack a ghost? They easily do it to me but I can't seem to do it?

IIRC, the first appearance was on a Waypoint cannon fodder post, but they been in a couple of the novels, too (Envoy and Bad Blood, which came out in 2017 and 2018 respectively). There's various lore bits about the place about the Grunts being quite accepting of Cortana's rule.

RE: Ghosts in Warzone, you can't hijack target vehicles.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

In terms of actual AI I find them incredibly smart and very accurate. We were playing on Heroic yesterday and those baddies accuracy was crazy. And I got hit by Ghosts several times too, lol.

I think you hold X near to them. Or whatever the button to get onto a vehicle is. It's usually leads to death for me haha

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
You're looking at it a little weird my man. Great exclusives don't simply not hurt, they help make the system more valuable. 10 million in sales from several franchises is no small feat even if the majority of gamers buy multi-plat games. They flock to the console because of the quality of those first party titles as it helps give the image of quality of the system itself. Exclusives, and quality ones at that are needed.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree then. In May 2016, the month that Uncharted 4 launched, the PS4 was already at 40 million sales. People were flocking to the console long before there were any meaningful first party exclusives to speak of.

It seems weirder to me to say "these games that the vast majority of people don't even play are what drive the overall success of the system, even years before they exist." I think it's much more reasonable to expect things like price and marketing to drive sales.

Incidentally, this is why I tend to be more optimistic about Xbox this gen regardless of how well their first party efforts go. Just launching without a major price disadvantage and without a marketing disaster will be enough to get them on a significantly better sales track than the XB1 ever had.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
IIRC, the first appearance was on a Waypoint cannon fodder post, but they been in a couple of the novels, too (Envoy and Bad Blood, which came out in 2017 and 2018 respectively). There's various lore bits about the place about the Grunts being quite accepting of Cortana's rule.

RE: Ghosts in Warzone, you can't hijack target vehicles.

Wow, that's a strange decision by the dev then and unfair too. These elite punks can steal my ride but I can't?

I think you hold X near to them. Or whatever the button to get onto a vehicle is. It's usually leads to death for me haha

Sadly not in Warzone though. :(

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

Exactly. Hell most of the multiplats dont sell 10 million copies. If they sell, we are talking about COD, FIFA or Rockstar or Battlefield and Destiny. Pretty much biggest multiplatform games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So tomorrow's the day then. That's good timing, I just finished Plague Tale Innocence and was going to start Final Fantasy XV today, I guess I'll hold off one more day and try out this Kingdom Hearts thing everyone is talking about.
Kingdom Hearts isn't going to be on Game Pass when it releases. If that's what you mean.

Aug 23, 2018
I guess I just fundamentally disagree then. In May 2016, the month that Uncharted 4 launched, the PS4 was already at 40 million sales. People were flocking to the console long before there were any meaningful first party exclusives to speak of.

It seems weirder to me to say "these games that the vast majority of people don't even play are what drive the overall success of the system, even years before they exist." I think it's much more reasonable to expect things like price and marketing to drive sales.

Incidentally, this is why I tend to be more optimistic about Xbox this gen regardless of how well their first party efforts go. Just launching without a major price disadvantage and without a marketing disaster will be enough to get them on a significantly better sales track than the XB1 ever had.

Yea you're right that if MS launches XSX at the same price as PS5 without any self inflicted fuck ups, they've already far exceeded what happened 7 years ago. But if Lockhart launches at $100+ cheaper than the competition and GamePass continues to double subscribers year over year, MS has the potential to win hearts and minds of plenty of PlayStation 4 owners.

guys i want to play more of bleeding edge :(

Me too :-(. I'm really looking forward to it after being so pleasantly surprised with the beta this weekend. The game has some real polish that wasn't really shown on prior previews.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Wow, that's a strange decision by the dev then and unfair too. These elite punks can steal my ride but I can't?

Sadly not in Warzone though. :(

It's only if they're named enemies that you have to kill to win the round, I think - I don't play Warzone FF a whole lot, but I think 'standard' ones can still be jacked, if that makes sense? It would just make things a bit easy if your objective was 'kill these four ghosts' and you could just jack them. Plus you need to be killing as many of the adds as possible to build up your REQ level anyway. Ending a round too quick isn't a good thing on higher difficulties.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Hell most of the multiplats dont sell 10 million copies. If they sell, we are talking about COD, FIFA or Rockstar or Battlefield and Destiny. Pretty much biggest multiplatform games.
GTA V sold more consoles than any exclusive game. However that doesn't mean exclusives don't matter, because they do. But Nintendo exclusives matter way more to their system than they do on the more powerful Xbox and PS systems. Services now are also going to matter more as well which is why Xbox is more concerned with providing more from XGS to their overall ecosystem.
I know, I was kinda thinking I'd buy it. Like with money.
OK, just making sure so you don't get disappointed. Your Plague Tale Innoncence and FFXV references in your post is what made me not sure if you were thinking Game Pass for Kingdom Hearts.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
GTA V sold more consoles than any exclusive game. However that doesn't mean exclusives don't matter, because they do. But Nintendo exclusives matter way more to their system than they do on the more powerful Xbox and PS systems. Services now are also going to matter more as well which is why Xbox is more concerned with providing more from XGS to their overall ecosystem.
OK, just making sure so you don't get disappointed. Your Plague Tale Innoncence and FFXV references in your post is what made me not sure if you were thinking Game Pass for Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah i agree with you.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

Truth.

I'm all for MS' initiative to give us freedom in where we play those exclusives, but they most definitely need a strong catalog of quality ones to keep me as a costumer and adding more quality studios for that will never be frowned on by me personally.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yeahhh haha I did that! The wall and Y heals are good that B button heal didn't seem to do much.

Was kinda thrilling having the other team beeline towards me all the time was spamming that double A button jump 😂

What did you think of it?
Worth noting that the B is not a heal lol. It gives a robot that shoots enemies for a few seconds.

If everything on Xbox was available on PlayStation or PC or nintendo, why would anyone play on Xbox? PlayStation would have Xbox's library and their own exclusive library, making Xbox's existence redundant.

Exclusives are the lifeblood of a console platform.
I think exclusives have their function. But this is absolutely not what I believe. Exclusives are the lifeblood of a console? Hell no. They're not more important than any number of other factors that impact console sales WAY more. They're not more valuable than any number of basic services, accessibility, and general game library tools and options.

Exclusives are fine (IMO if and only if they exist solely because they required the funding of a major platform publisher to be made at all). They are indeed important and impactful. But the fetish we've developed to believe that they are the end all, be all of gaming is so unhealthy and exactly the wrong way to think about it.

Thought experiment: Sony releases all 1st party games on PC. Suddenly, Sony has "no exclusives". How many console allows do they lose? Theoretically, less than the number of their biggest exclusive. Maybe like 10% of their sales, right? But because we've elevated exclusives to this weird undeserved pedestal, we've conditioned people to think that the only games that REALLY MATTER are exclusives. So now the consoles quality is tied to this totally unrelated thing that most people wouldn't even naturally care about. As a result? Brand takes a hit for being PRO - CONSUMER = we all lose.

Exclusives are dumb. Worshiping exclusive even worse.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
it doesn't work like that! You just can't summon me and even if you could — all I'd do is troll you with old copypasta gags.

oh you mean like I'm doing now?

source.gif

Jan 25, 2020
I think exclusives have their function. But this is absolutely not what I believe. Exclusives are the lifeblood of a console? Hell no. They're not more important than any number of other factors that impact console sales WAY more. They're not more valuable than any number of basic services, accessibility, and general game library tools and options.

Exclusives are fine (IMO if and only if they exist solely because they required the funding of a major platform publisher to be made at all). They are indeed important and impactful. But the fetish we've developed to believe that they are the end all, be all of gaming is so unhealthy and exactly the wrong way to think about it.

Thought experiment: Sony releases all 1st party games on PC. Suddenly, Sony has "no exclusives". How many console allows do they lose? Theoretically, less than the number of their biggest exclusive. Maybe like 10% of their sales, right? But because we've elevated exclusives to this weird undeserved pedestal, we've conditioned people to think that the only games that REALLY MATTER are exclusives. So now the consoles quality is tied to this totally unrelated thing that most people wouldn't even naturally care about. As a result? Brand takes a hit for being PRO - CONSUMER = we all lose.

Exclusives are dumb. Worshiping exclusive even worse.

We're losing a bit of the plot here. Exclusive games are one of several arms that attract people to a platform. You've mentioned accessibility and features, and you're right: they're important as well to a high-quality product. If Xbox and PS4 were equal in terms of power/services from the get-go, Xbox One wouldn't be lagging so far behind (though it's still incredibly successful in its own right) because people wouldn't have jumped ship, it would have graphical parity with is direct competition, but it's main differentiator would have been a stronger exclusive output from 2013-15 (outside of Bloodborne, playstation dropped the ball on exclusive games in the beginning). This idea that exclusives don't elevate the platform compared to competitors is simply not true. Not trying to place them on a pedestal or make them the end-all-be-all of a console, but we can't downplay the role they play in marketing and selling a console.

The Xbox brand as it is today wouldn't exist without Halo (Spencer himself said it in the latest 343 recruiting video). Why do people buy switch? Outside of portable gaming, it's the only place to play the newest Nintendo games. One of Playstation's key selling points is high-quality, high-polish AAA experiences you can't find on another platform (at least for now with Horizon potentially coming to PC).

Xbox has done everything it can to either match/outperform the competition in accessibility, power, and features. With Series X we'll see the games themselves, both high in quality and variety. Very much looking forward to it. More games/variety in the space only benefits the consumer. More competition, more innovation. Rising ocean raises all ships sort of thing. Hope that helps you understand my view on it.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
We're losing a bit of the plot here. Exclusive games are one of several arms that attract people to a platform. You've mentioned accessibility and features, and you're right: they're important as well to a high-quality product. If Xbox and PS4 were equal in terms of power/services from the get-go, Xbox One wouldn't be lagging so far behind (though it's still incredibly successful in its own right) because people wouldn't have jumped ship, it would have graphical parity with is direct competition, but it's main differentiator would have been a stronger exclusive output from 2013-15 (outside of Bloodborne, playstation dropped the ball on exclusive games in the beginning). This idea that exclusives don't elevate the platform compared to competitors is simply not true. Not trying to place them on a pedestal or make them the end-all-be-all of a console, but we can't downplay the role they play in marketing and selling a console.

The Xbox brand as it is today wouldn't exist without Halo (Spencer himself said it in the latest 343 recruiting video). Why do people buy switch? Outside of portable gaming, it's the only place to play the newest Nintendo games. One of Playstation's key selling points is high-quality, high-polish AAA experiences you can't find on another platform (at least for now with Horizon potentially coming to PC).

Xbox has done everything it can to either match/outperform the competition in accessibility, power, and features. With Series X we'll see the games themselves, both high in quality and variety. Very much looking forward to it. More games/variety in the space only benefits the consumer. More competition, more innovation. Rising ocean raises all ships sort of thing. Hope that helps you understand my view on it.

Yeah, all of this.

Aug 23, 2018
I was hoping to see a strong MS showing at Pax East in a couple of weeks- but instead it looks like there will only be a Mixer booth.

Thought for sure we'd see them showing off the half dozen or so XGS titles they have slated for the first half of 2020. Perhaps they are saving their marketing $$ for events that show off XSX in the latter half of the year

Oct 26, 2018
Wjy no live for the kh collections man 😭I own the original ps2 ones plus ps3 remasters/hd final mix..... I'll triple dip anyday butbif it wasn't for era I would've missed that it's releasing tomorrow

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the new threads about Atlus and Persona 5 port on Switch, I'm still sticking by my prediction of Atlus porting Persona games to Xbox this year and will continue the Sega and Xbox relationship of Yakuza and Phantasy Star Online 2 relationship.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
What do we need for the next generation of RPGs?

I think that innovation must be done in the system/RPG design. Today everything is too classic, go up in level then gain skill points etc ...

I would like to gain skills other than by going up levels, but by doing a quest or during a dungeon where it is very well explained in the world design.

I want the RPG system to greatly influence the narrative / universe of the game, for example what I want in fable is that we will not be able to reach certain areas because there will be too much magic pressure because our character doesn't specialized in magic he is more a knight / warrior so to reach this area he would have to hire magician mercenaries to help him by enchanting him with a magic shield but it would cost a lot of gold Or much better by doing a series of quests that will tell us the story of this mage.

Or

By creating a mage, we will be rejected by a large majority of the kingdom so we will have to face the mage hunter throughout the game, and be careful that no one sees us using magic, at the beginning of the game we will not know not suspect but over time that someone will suspect us we will be questioned by mage hunters etc ... We could even betray some mage to lower the suspicion.

I think it is Fable reboot which must bring this innovation because the license is known for that but while remaining Action RPG with +100 hours of play.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
With the new threads about Atlus and Persona 5 port on Switch, I'm still sticking by my prediction of Atlus porting Persona games to Xbox this year and will continue the Sega and Xbox relationship of Yakuza and Phantasy Star Online 2 relationship.
Yeah, with how much work phil is putting in over in japan, especially with sega and their yakuza titles & phantasy star online 2, this wouldnt suprise me

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I wonder what the chances are for Persona 5 on Xbox, now with Atlus saying keep asking for Switch port. I'm like, what about Xbox port then?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, with how much work phil is putting in over in japan, and especially with sega and their yakuza titles & phantasy star online 2, this wouldnt suprise me
Not to mention maximizing revenue potential with xCloud, Game Pass on console and PC, Windows Store, Steam, and XB1S, XB1X, and XSX combined with these games already being localized and the architecture of PS4 and XB1 all being similar to PC as well as the slowly declining console market in Japan.

Sega knows they are limiting the growth of these brands/IP and fanbase, and not maximizing the potential revenue for past and future products at a time where it's relatively gotten easier to port to other platforms and generate additional revenue through services and customers have easier access to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.