• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm talking about throughout the generation. If XSX is more powerful and games look and perform better than PS5 AND they cost the same then that's enough to convince those players and Game Pass will make it even more appealing.
There's other stuff to consider, then. Slim revisions, a mid gen refresh and of course the heavily rumored Lockhart.

I do think price is an incredibly important factor, but at launch power is really REALLY important as well. If Series X costs more, it should still be in the under $500 sweet spot and have a power advantage that is relatively easy to notice when comparing to PS5.
And you don't think price has something to do with that?
Somewhat, but I think franchises need to move to nextgen only to truly motivate them to spend on a new console.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's other stuff to consider, then. Slim revisions, a mid gen refresh and of course the heavily rumored Lockhart.

I do think price is an incredibly important factor, but at launch power is really REALLY important as well. If Series X costs more, it should still be in the under $500 sweet spot and have a power advantage that is relatively easy to notice when comparing to PS5.
Oh I'm only speaking hypothetically. I'm expecting XSX to be $500 dollars and PS5 to be less expensive. If Lockhart becomes real and launches at the same time as XSX and less expensive than PS5 then that adds more factors favoring Xbox.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Microsoft got Game for PC to sell and gamers want content. I dont know enough about Daedelic to know if they're a good investment from a quality standpoint but a PC focused developer is exactly the sort of thing they need to broaden their line-up.

Obsidian and Inxile are more PC centric devs. The partnership with Relic for AOE is PC centric, flight simulator is PC centric through Asobo. Gears Tactics is PC focused and even Minecraft dungeons had a big PC focus to it's messaging during its first debuts. There is no lack of PC focus in Microsoft's current strategy IMO.

Not that I think they shouldn't pick up devs who develop for PC or anything

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't think it would be a good investment for MS because Daedelic doesn't make games that really appeal to console gamers. They are studios as small that would be a better investment for MS.

Their adventure games are definitely more niche, but Blackguards and Blackguards 2 were great SRPGs and Year of Rain is an RTS that I didn't play but looked interesting. Plus their Gollum game is supposed to be a pretty big RPG. They've definitely shown they're interested in doing more than just Point and Clicks, and they're pretty capable with at least some other genres. A lot of their games definitely are more at home on PC, but they wouldn't be completely unheard of on a console.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their adventure games are definitely more niche, but Blackguards and Blackguards 2 were great SRPGs and Year of Rain is an RTS that I didn't play but looked interesting. Plus their Gollum game is supposed to be a pretty big RPG. They've definitely shown they're interested in doing more than just Point and Clicks, and they're pretty capable with at least some other genres. A lot of their games definitely are more at home on PC, but they wouldn't be completely unheard of on a console.
Oh yeah, I gotta see how their Gollum game ends up being. It would be interesting to see how their games would be with more funding and support like XGS would provide. I just think there's a lot of better studios out there that might be interested in being acquired to the XGS family.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
If the rumored 4TF of RDNA graphics ~32 CU, and 12GB of gddr6 is accurate, I don't think LOCKHART is a retail system. To be disruptive to the market the console would have to be about $300; with SSD and the items mentioned earlier, I just can't see how that is possible. I think Lockhart is a server blade that uses the power of the cloud to turn your Xbox One SAD Edition into a NEXT GEN console. You can buy the game and play it locally at Xbox one levels or you can use X-cloud (Lockhart) to enhance your game to next-gen levels. Imagine with X-cloud and an Xbox One I could play the same 3rd party games the PS5 plays at 1080p with Ray Tracing, better Physics, and AI, for the price of a $4.99 subscription. That would be huge.

This is just my guess I have no proof.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
If the rumored 4TF of RDNA graphics ~32 CU, and 12GB of gddr6 is accurate, I don't think LOCKHART is a retail system. To be disruptive to the market the console would have to be about $300; with SSD and the items mentioned earlier, I just can't see how that is possible. I think Lockhart is a server blade that uses the power of the cloud to turn your Xbox One SAD Edition into a NEXT GEN console. You can buy the game and play it locally at Xbox one levels or you can use X-cloud (Lockhart) to enhance your game to next-gen levels. Imagine with X-cloud and an Xbox One I could play the same 3rd party games the PS5 plays at 1080p with Ray Tracing, better Physics, and AI, for the price of a $4.99 subscription. That would be huge.

Would server blades get their own project name separate from xCloud in general?

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

If ps5 can hit 399$ and be 8-10tf there Is no reason why Lockhart can't hit 299$.
Less ram, smaller apu, smaller console, cheaper cooling, no disc drive.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

If Lockhart are the blades for xCloud then XSX will be no more than $500 and probably less. The sales of Xbox one didn't start to improve until they removed Kinect and dropped the price by $100.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

D5CFFQSXoAIsF-r

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If you're already making the hardware and getting developers to design around it, why wouldn't you sell a version at retail?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Oh yeah, I gotta see how their Gollum game ends up being. It would be interesting to see how their games would be with more funding and support like XGS would provide. I just think there's a lot of better studios out there that might be interested in being acquired to the XGS family.

Yuhp, totally, even in Germany there's definitely better studios. I like Daedalic and would love to see them join Xbox and get to really stretch in to other genres, plus I just want more SRPGs in the world. Definitely agree that there are studios that would be better than Daedalic, but if the stars aligned and they were able to go private from their current stakeholders with help from Xbox and then join XGS I think they'd be a great addition.

To be fair even with the way things are for them it's not that likely, any number of private studios make more sense, they may not come with the IP or the recognition, but yeah.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

tenor.gif

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017

This theory makes no sense to me. If Lockhart is a server blade, it would allow anyone to just play games via cloud without requiring any prior hardware, right? Why would it only be there to enhance the original Xbox One? The whole point of cloud server blades is for them to process the games right?

There is no way in hell that Lockhart is just a server blade IMO. Future of xcloud has to be xsx blades.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way in hell that Lockhart is just a server blade IMO. Future of xcloud has to be xsx blades.
They are not putting Series X hardware in the cloud. No need for that hardware when you are streaming at 720p.

Lockhart is definitely the hardware that they will use for the datacenters. Just like Xbox One S hardware is used today. That has been obvious from the start.

The question is whether they will sell the weaker hardware at retail and if so, when. I think they will eventually sell it but not at launch. Will be 6 months to a year after imo.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I've always doubted Lockhart would be 4TF even with the other features.
I understand why the TF's are so low. Only 1/4th needed to hit 1080p when xsx games are 4K. However I would like to see Lockhart around 5-6tf if possible for 2 reasons.

1st not all games on xsx will be 4k. Some buffer room will be nice when games are coming in at 1800p or lower on xsx.
2nd I would like to see Lockhart at 1/4 the tf of the inevitable midgen upgrade in 4 years. I'm guessing it will probably be 20-24 tf.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
So those specs are wrong. That's all I'm getting from that gif lol
Reading that quote I doubt the gif is because of the specs. To me, it speaks to the fact that the guy is suggesting that Lockhart, is it exists, is just a server-side system to turn your Xbox SAD into playing next-gen game. I doubt Lockhart is just there to exist server-side. I expect it to be released for sale.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Reading that quote I doubt the gif is because of the specs. To me, it speaks to the fact that the guy is suggesting that Lockhart, is it exists, is just a server-side system to turn your Xbox SAD into playing next-gen game. I doubt Lockhart is just there to exist server-side. I expect it to be released for sale.
Lockheart will be sold as a budget console with SSD and 1080/60 as the targets. It's also the upgrade to the s blades. If I were MS I would certainly have a secondary income stream for my R&D spend. If you already had to machine a new blade to utilise SSD and raytracing tech why not make it so that it can fit in a one x shell and call it next gen aswell.
I personally think it will be a late 2021 / early 2022 thing and they will announce this year that one s + x has ceased production

Status
Not open for further replies.