• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I have heard it said a few times that Microsoft is looking to buy The Farm 51. If so it could be a good get.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It's been good to see Microsoft buy up some studios and put alot more effort into giving us Xbox users some exclusives.
But for me there is still a major hole in it's roster.
We have the car genre covered well with Forza and Forza H. Love both of them, and its as good a Car exclusive as anything going around. Tick.

We have RPGs well and truly covered with potentially Fable from PG. Obsidien will put out a banger of a RPG along the lines of Fallout ans Outer Worlds. Compulsion Games I think fits into this Bunch, as WHF was a RPG in my eyes.
InXile are RPG makers as well.

Undead Labs will give us State of Decay 3, which I really hope gets a graphical makeover of the largest proportion. Sold 2 looked like a 360 game if im honest. I would expect, no demand, a far higher level of polish from a first party studios.

Rare is going to do Rare and put out some weird cartoony game as per usual.

Coalition and 343i are going to do Gears and Halo. Two shooters, which is fine.

Worlds Edge is doing Age of Empires. Meh.

Double Fine will do another cartoony game which I'm meh about.

The Inititive we arnt sure what they are doing, but it sounds like Perfect Dark maybe.

Ninja Theory are doing a their person adventure story in Hellblade, and some horror type game in Mara.

Compared to Sony, Microsoft really lacks those quality third person adventure story games. Uncharted, Last of us, Horizon, God of War and Ghosts of T.
To me these are the games that set Sony apart. This is what Microsoft needs to work on getting more of, and I dont see that outside of Ninja Theory, or maybe The Inititive.
MS is short in this area, and they need to address it, in my opinion.

Microsoft is covering all bases, all genres or at least a lot. That's something I can only appreciate. Even when I know I won't be bothering with strategy games or games like Wasteland. Those are not my type of RPG and I know I'll get my third person RPG fix by Playground and I'd love to see inXile come with something like that in the future as well.

Personally what i hope to see next gen is these new studios really pushing the XSX to its limits. We have 343i, TC, Turn10, PG and NT that we can count on for that. But can we expect beautiful visuals and animations from Undead Labs, Compulsion and Obsidian? This is something Sony never misses their shot at, games from their own studios always looked superb on PS4.

I agree about your last point though, I'd love to see a studio at XGS covering the third person action adventure/cinematic etc genre, like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, TLOU, or maybe even something similar to GTA for example.

Still hoping TI's first game is a new IP.

Oct 28, 2017

nsr.gif

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Unpopular opinion: Gears 5 was by far the most varied, most atmospheric and most fun Gears, and I have to assume this Rod move wasn't just decided these past days. I think the future of Gears is in excellent hands. Best of luck to Rod but there's hundreds of people who made Gears 5 what it is, its quality can't be reduced to a single person.

So much this, and I won't lie, still baffles me how this is viewed as an unpopular opinion around this parts

Oh yes, they didn't have any plan and he bought this evening a house in Irvine. Cmon.
Simply Ybarra decided that there was only a man able to fix diablo 4
No, gears 6 AFAIK wont finish Kait's story arch. It was planned but something things change.
Simply while writing it gears 5 grow bigger and msft agreed in splitting it into two separate games. SO gears 6 will only finish 66% of the og trilogy. The example he used was game of thrones, which was planned as a trilogy of books then the first book turned out to be three diffent books, each with 1000+ pages.
The Perfect Dark thing was a joke made on me, they loose interest in the pitch because it's not a pitch anymore.
To stop gears 6 the studio must be hit by an earthquake(I thing I hope won't happen to Vancouver) but it's still far because they are also working on separate projects both gears and no gears related, both in house and external. Obviously Rod greenlighted all of this.
He spent 15 years of his life on this series, with only a brief exception to save bioshock infinite, he wouldn't leave the studio in a bad shape

Well, there it is. I mean, it was obvious that there's no need to worry about Gears future or Rod exit from TC, but at the same time is good to have a "confirmation". Thanks for the info, and let me ask you something: how do youb feel about this change on The Coalition? From a personal perspective, I mean .

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So much this, and I won't lie, still baffles me how this is viewed as an unpopular opinion around this parts

Well, there it is. I mean, it was obvious that there's no need to worry about Gears future or Rod exit from TC, but at the same time is good to have a "confirmation". Thanks for the info, and let me ask you something: how do youb feel about this change on The Coalition? From a personal perspective, I mean .

I can understand it.

It may have been the most varied but that variety was mostly the bigger areas, something that in my opinion didn't add much to the experience at all. Truly hope they will flesh that out more in 6, have enemies roam around in the big open areas, in vehicles, maybe have NPCs there with quests. If it was all up to me I'd scrap the open areas and keep Gears what it does best....snaller scale areas with shootouts, some of those horror parts from 1 again. I just noticed it during 5's campaign, it truly shined when it was the smaller scale stuff, the tight corridors or a big open street, but not the huge open areas with not much to do.

For me it started off so damn strong, but after act 2 it started to go downhill for me. I just couldn't get into that desert location at all. And when in the last act things picked up again with smaller scale parts it was over in no time. It's definitely a mixed bag for me too. 6 could be where they truly knock it out of the park for me.

After 6 I hope Gears gets a break, let's see something totally different.

https://twitter.com/slaypiece/status/1225182346271264768?s=20

Not to blow a tweet out of proportion, but could we safely assume whatever Phil played was NOT open-world, and probably linear?

Interesting. Checkpoints could definitely point to a shooter like PD and Goldeneye. I believe both had checkpointws? It's been so long.

Sep 29, 2019
Microsoft is covering all bases, all genres or at least a lot. That's something I can only appreciate. Even when I know I won't be bothering with strategy games or games like Wasteland. Those are not my type of RPG and I know I'll get my third person RPG fix by Playground and I'd love to see inXile come with something like that in the future as well.

Personally what i hope to see next gen is these new studios really pushing the XSX to its limits. We have 343i, TC, Turn10, PG and NT that we can count on for that. But can we expect beautiful visuals and animations from Undead Labs, Compulsion and Obsidian? This is something Sony never misses their shot at, games from their own studios always looked superb on PS4.

I agree about your last point though, I'd love to see a studio at XGS covering the third person action adventure/cinematic etc genre, like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, TLOU, or maybe even something similar to GTA for example.

Still hoping TI's first game is a new IP.

+1

As rockstar doesn't seem interested in revisiting London, I would love to see Playground games make a game like this. Maybe even consult Guy Ritchie on the plot?!

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Not to blow a tweet out of proportion, but could we safely assume whatever Phil played was NOT open-world, and probably linear?

Maybe. But don't forget some Open World games also have checkpoints, especially during main quest/mission. Like GTA, RDR2 and others.

Also, I'm pretty sure that they're still working on the bones of the game, building a vertical demo slice of it to finally enter full production this year, after reveal. They're still hiring for some key positions on it, just moved to a bigger building and etc

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
+1

As rockstar doesn't seem interested in revisiting London, I would love to see Playground games make a game like this. Maybe even consult Guy Ritchie on the plot?!

Oh hell yeah, I like the sound of that. But it's possible the second PG studio is a RPG studio. But that's just me guessing, for all we know they make something totally different after their RPG.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Ooh, Houser + PlayGround + London would equal a very happy Axel.

That would be nuts, but let's wait and see what Houser does next. It's absolutely possible he's gonna take it easy, enjoy life, enjoy the money. But I can't deny that I'd love to see him joining XGS, if he decides to stick around in the industry.

Maybe. But don't forget some Open World games also have checkpoints, especially during main quest/mission. Like GTA, RDR2 and others.

Also, I'm pretty sure that they're still working on the bones of the game, building a vertical demo slice of it to finally enter full production this year, after reveal. They're still hiring for some key positions on it, just moved to a bigger building and etc

I think after the whole AAAA thing, and the fact that TI has people from Rockstar and other open world games that their first game definitely was going to be this big open world thing, like a GTA. I kinda thought that way as well, I mean you bring on board some serious talent, but it could be anything. E3 can't come soon enough, because for sure they'll reveal it there. Hopefully actual gameplay, if it's far along enough.

Oct 26, 2018
Oh yes, they didn't have any plan and he bought this evening a house in Irvine. Cmon.
Simply Ybarra decided that there was only a man able to fix diablo 4
No, gears 6 AFAIK wont finish Kait's story arch. It was planned but something things change.
Simply while writing it gears 5 grow bigger and msft agreed in splitting it into two separate games. SO gears 6 will only finish 66% of the og trilogy. The example he used was game of thrones, which was planned as a trilogy of books then the first book turned out to be three diffent books, each with 1000+ pages. Perfect Dark thing was a joke made on me, they loose interest in the pitch because it's not a pitch anymore.
To stop gears 6 the studio must be hit by an earthquake(I thing I hope won't happen to Vancouver) but it's still far because they are also working on separate projects both gears and no gears related, both in house and external. Obviously Rod greenlighted all of this.
He spent 15 years of his life on this series, with only a brief exception to save bioshock infinite, he wouldn't leave the studio in a bad shape
Now when you say that you mean....?

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Just caught up on Rod leaving The Coalition (and pretty much Xbox Games Studios in general) While I will say that I'm slightly concerned because of Coalition's past (three re-namings and several canned/discontinued projects) and also the fact that Rod did leave 2K/Hangar13 when they were working on Mafia 3... TC did add a lot of cool (both new and old) ideas to Gears 5 that does make it my favourite instalment by far.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018

Double Fine is very much a Xbox studio :)

I am definitely waiting for Psychonauts 2, even when I have yet to play the first one. Their next game is a MP game isn't it? That isn't really their forte though, but we'll see.
ok sorry i
They got bought last year already.

sorry guys i I thought they were People can fly xD

For someone who's as active as you in this thread, I would think you'd know this.
i get things mixed i thought he talk about Outriders

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018

The only way a CliffyB/Gears reunion would have worked was with Rod at the helm of the studio and in place to keep him in check. Cliff respected Rod and I don't think he would have caused trouble under Rod's watch. I don't see it going too well with a new leader in place, no matter who the leader may be.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018

I mean, even open-world games have checkpoints. You're definitely reading too much into it. That being said, I do think the first game they make is probably linear or similar in scope to something like Control. A crazy, cinematic AAAA action-adventure would be great, but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze when you could do something like Control for a half or a third of the resources. I wasn't even really a fan of Control, but I think that blueprint has to be enticing for Microsoft.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
ok sorry i

sorry guys i I thought they were People can fly xD

i get things mixed i thought he talk about Outriders

Ah, I see. I don't think People Can Fly is completely out of the picture when it comes to an acquisition, but given they are working on this game for SE now, probably not anytime soon.

Jan 4, 2018
Don't worry, I'll be taking the reigns... I just need to convince Phil to overlook the fact I have no first hand experience in game development.
Nah, you post on ResetERA, that automatically makes you an expert on anything games related, including economy
Double Fine is very much a Xbox studio :)

I am definitely waiting for Psychonauts 2, even when I have yet to play the first one. Their next game is a MP game isn't it? That isn't really their forte though, but we'll see.
Well, I quite enjoued Iron Brigade and to me it counts as a MP title, so they do have some experience.
Let's see what they surprise us with

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I did nothing, but the next gen thread is not about next gen anymore but about a lottery when the PS5 event is. As long this is the case it doesn't make much sense to post there because all is buried under those posts especially if you would try to discuss something Xbox related.

If it is allowed I will post some of that stuff here instead. Makes more sense anyway as this is the group interested in discussing Xbox.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I did nothing, but the next gen thread is not about next gen anymore but about a lottery when the PS5 event is. As long this is the case it doesn't make much sense to post there because all is buried under those posts especially if you would try to discuss something Xbox related.

If it is allowed I will some of that stuff here instead. Makes more sense anymore as this is the group interested in discussing Xbox.

so i'm not the only one. welcome

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

If it is allowed I will some of that stuff here instead. Makes more sense anyway as this is the group interested in discussing Xbox.
Yeah I posted "how is this a merged next gen discussion thread if the entire thing is people saying dates for a ps5 reveal" and it was immediately buried by 900 posts saying dates.

Aug 23, 2018

If it is allowed I will some of that stuff here instead. Makes more sense anyway as this is the group interested in discussing Xbox.

Look what you did, Tonky. I did enjoy the Transformer gifs and public execution posts though

But please do post next gen stuff here! I enjoy your posts

Status
Not open for further replies.