• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
42fbc081f0f05f1c5571d3d154179b9d.png

lol well there goes that

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't think they'd bring on Bleszinski at this point, Gears has its own identity under The Coalition, for better or for worse. There's still a lot they can learn from the original, but I think Bleszinski coming in at this stage would just muddy the waters. Plus I get the impression that he wouldn't have a very light touch about it. Not that I think he'd be bad for the franchise, I just think it's probably too late. Maybe I'm wrong, he might be able to play nice with the other writers, who knows.

Now if want to talk about bringing Dene Carter in to consult on some of the world building and writing for Fable...

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It is sad to see Rod go, but change to me is always looked as a good thing. I do hope that whoever leads the team brings in some fresh ideas for the franchise or is allowed to steer the team to something new. It would be cool for them to bring back the original game they were working on before they became the Gears studio. One thing about that team, they are technical masters. You can say what you want about the story, settings and length of Gears 5...but when it comes to the technical achievements they were able to create with the "X" at 60fps was short of amazing. I look forward to whatever the teams brings next (after tactics). Good luck Rod!

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On the bright side, at least the next Gears won't be marketed with weird head spazing trailers and wrestlers playing video games underneath a stage.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Cliff is the key for Gears MP, TC/Splash managed it too bad. Even Lawbreakers looked awesome to play.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I think that it is a very bad idea to continue the Gears franchise without Rod. Let him bring creatives leaders from Ubisoft / EA to work on a new IP

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I think that it is a very bad idea to continue the Gears franchise without Rod. Let him bring creatives leaders from Ubisoft / EA to work on a new IP
I'm sure the writing/story team is capable of continuing on without him. It's not as if Rod was the only one there.

At the very least, I want them to finish off the Swarm story arc.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion: Gears 5 was by far the most varied, most atmospheric and most fun Gears, and I have to assume this Rod move wasn't just decided these past days. I think the future of Gears is in excellent hands. Best of luck to Rod but there's hundreds of people who made Gears 5 what it is, its quality can't be reduced to a single person.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm mostly in agreement, but I could see The Coalition dabble with other IPs in between Gears releases.

Gears could use a longer break again after Gears 6. Then maybe fully reboot it as opposed to the soft reboot of The Coalition trilogy.
Maybe just other games in the Gears universe as well like a RE7 style survival game (Civilian during the Emergence Day/first war).

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Unpopular opinion: Gears 5 was by far the most varied, most atmospheric and most fun Gears, and I have to assume this Rod move wasn't just decided these past days. I think the future of Gears is in excellent hands. Best of luck to Rod but there's hundreds of people who made Gears 5 what it is, its quality can't be reduced to a single person.

Agree except for the "most atmospheric" part. I have no doubt Gears will continue to be great and new leadership CAN bring GOOD changes. I hope Gears will become more darker again though.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I think Rod's happy that he got the franchise back on its feet. Well done to him and I hope he goes on to do great things with Diablo. With Gears, there are a lot of different places it can go and XGP needs diversification. All of the gears titles on XGP are linear 3P shooters. There's no reason we can't get a new game in a different genre, but set in the same universe down the line.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe he left because they couldn't decide what to do with the late-game choice in Gears 5.

joking, but I really wonder what they'll do with it

Apr 6, 2018
Oh yes, they didn't have any plan and he bought this evening a house in Irvine. Cmon.
Simply Ybarra decided that there was only a man able to fix diablo 4
No, gears 6 AFAIK wont finish Kait's story arch. It was planned but something things change.
Simply while writing it gears 5 grow bigger and msft agreed in splitting it into two separate games. SO gears 6 will only finish 66% of the og trilogy. The example he used was game of thrones, which was planned as a trilogy of books then the first book turned out to be three diffent books, each with 1000+ pages.
The Perfect Dark thing was a joke made on me, they loose interest in the pitch because it's not a pitch anymore.
To stop gears 6 the studio must be hit by an earthquake(I thing I hope won't happen to Vancouver) but it's still far because they are also working on separate projects both gears and no gears related, both in house and external. Obviously Rod greenlighted all of this.
He spent 15 years of his life on this series, with only a brief exception to save bioshock infinite, he wouldn't leave the studio in a bad shape

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The Matt Booty interview does read a bit as if The Coalition will indeed be a Gears factory for the forseeable future. I really like Gears but I think other big studios do a better job when they switch between Uncharted and The Last of Us or Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. There's a lot of Gears coming with Pop and Tactics -- but I hope The Coalition can do whatever they want. If to keep working on Gears is their priority, then I'll be happy with it. I like Gears but I'm still intrigued by what else The Coalition could do.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
The Matt Booty interview does read a bit as if The Coalition will indeed be a Gears factory for the forseeable future. I really like Gears but I think other big studios do a better job when they switch between Uncharted and The Last of Us or Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. There's a lot of Gears coming with Pop and Tactics -- but I hope The Coalition can do whatever they want. If to keep working on Gears is their priority, then I'll be happy with it. I like Gears but I'm still intrigued by what else The Coalition could do.

Studios that switch between 2 IPs mostly create the "same" but with another name on it. Naughty dog is developing 3rd person adventures games with very similar mechanics. DICE switches between Battlefield and Battlefront both are Ego shooters. Fallout and elder Scrolls are both RPG'S so I don't see the need for TC to work on a new IP at all. I rather want them to expand the Gears universe to other genres as they currently do with Gears PoP and Gears tactics. I think this is by far more diversified from a developer perspective. MS has so many studios I think we don't need to worry about diversity anymore.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
It's been good to see Microsoft buy up some studios and put alot more effort into giving us Xbox users some exclusives.
But for me there is still a major hole in it's roster.
We have the car genre covered well with Forza and Forza H. Love both of them, and its as good a Car exclusive as anything going around. Tick.

We have RPGs well and truly covered with potentially Fable from PG. Obsidien will put out a banger of a RPG along the lines of Fallout ans Outer Worlds. Compulsion Games I think fits into this Bunch, as WHF was a RPG in my eyes.
InXile are RPG makers as well.

Undead Labs will give us State of Decay 3, which I really hope gets a graphical makeover of the largest proportion. Sold 2 looked like a 360 game if im honest. I would expect, no demand, a far higher level of polish from a first party studios.

Rare is going to do Rare and put out some weird cartoony game as per usual.

Coalition and 343i are going to do Gears and Halo. Two shooters, which is fine.

Worlds Edge is doing Age of Empires. Meh.

Double Fine will do another cartoony game which I'm meh about.

The Inititive we arnt sure what they are doing, but it sounds like Perfect Dark maybe.

Ninja Theory are doing a their person adventure story in Hellblade, and some horror type game in Mara.

Compared to Sony, Microsoft really lacks those quality third person adventure story games. Uncharted, Last of us, Horizon, God of War and Ghosts of T.
To me these are the games that set Sony apart. This is what Microsoft needs to work on getting more of, and I dont see that outside of Ninja Theory, or maybe The Inititive.
MS is short in this area, and they need to address it, in my opinion.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Some reason the video game community likes to credit 1 single person for the efforts of hundreds (or thousands). Happens all the time. Gears will be fine going forward (although i disagree with your opinion on 5's quality, bit of a disappointment IMO).

He probably got offered more money to go lead the Diablo team and couldn't pass up working on an iconic franchise... don't blame the guy one bit.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some reason the video game community likes to credit 1 single person for the efforts of hundreds (or thousands). Happens all the time. Gears will be fine going forward (although i disagree with your opinion on 5's quality, bit of a disappointment IMO).

Tastes and all. Ultimately, regardless of how you chart the 5 mainline games, Rod was responsible (in part) for the good and the bad of the franchise. A new leadership could be the fresh blood the franchise needs or it could be a total disaster. But it's too early to call either way.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

He probably got offered more money to go lead the Diablo team and couldn't pass up working on an iconic franchise... don't blame the guy one bit.

Cos people make what they do know more important than what they can't know/can't be arsed to know.

It's why people keep banging on about 'Shangheist' and all that shit. There's endless appetite for stuff that cannot possibly be sated by actual reality, and so people elevate fragments and whispers and faces to mean EVERYTHING, or perform weird arbitrary games maths: 'if X studio got Y person they could make Z game!!!!'. Yes, and if I had an elephant as a pet I could conquer Rome. What?

Go outside, it's lovely in the fresh air! ALL OF YOU.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Oh wow, that came totally out of the blue. At least he did get a proper goodbye and wrote a proper message himself as well. Doesn't always exactly go like that. If this had happened before Gears 4 came out I would be a little worried but at this point I'm sure he has a team knowing what makes Gears Gears. And after he's been on Gears for so many years I can understand him wanting to try a different adventure. Wish him all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.