• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
White Owls and Experience Inc are both on the smaller side and have some history working with Xbox. Mistwalker also has a history with Xbox and have been growing in to a full development studio recently with their next game going to Apple Arcade. White Owls honestly seems like the most likely out of this entire list, as they're the only ones that have successfully crowd funded a game, which is something every other acquisition except Playground games has done at least once. It proves they're fans will show up.

Tomonobu Itagaki and Yukio Futatsugi have worked with Microsoft some in the past as well and both head up independent studios, so Valhalla Games or Grounding Inc could happen. Valhalla Games also has offices in Canada, so that'd make them less isolated. Cyber Connect 2 also has an office in Canada and they've been pretty keen on gaining their creative freedom recently, but they're also pretty big.

Tri-Ace and Tri-Crescendo have both worked with Xbox some in the past and have a pretty serious pedigree, they'd be like the Obsidian and InXile of Japan if they were acquired together in my opinion. Though Tri-Ace isn't actually independent, they're owned by a mobile software company. They're not a console games publisher and it doesn't seem that Tri-Ace has been all that successful of an investment for them in the last 5 years, so it's not impossible they'd sell.

On that same line there's From, but From is doing pretty well lately so I doubt Kodakawa would sell them. People also keep bringing up Hajime Tabatas new studio, JP Games, but I'm not really sure why we think they're likely.

Major Longshots would be Kojima Productions and Level-5. Level-5 would be absolutely massive, but I could see them being Xbox's only Japanese addition, since they're multiple studios with multiple IPs and genres. Doesn't really fit the current MO, but Japan might be different. Kojima I just like bringing up because I worship chaos.

And then there's Kemco. They've been releasing a lot of games on Xbox, but they're not really ambitious or super beloved. Might be low hanging fruit, and could maybe grow to be something awesome, but I doubt it's worth it.

I think I covered pretty much everyone, but I'm also positive I missed a few. It's also possible they could acquire a studio they've never worked with completely out of left field, but at that point I'm just naming independent studios.
Thank you for a more detailed examination of potential Japanese developers MS could acquire. I only think JP games has a chance simply because it's run by huge name in the industry and they will need funding and stability and will be open to at least considering MS if they're interested.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
The reason I ever bring up JP games is the fact they're a growing studio with a talented studio head (Tabata). It's a studio that would fit Microsoft's current MO and make a big splash in the industry, it would just be a while till their first release probably.
Thank you for a more detailed examination of potential Japanese developers MS could acquire. I only think JP games has a chance simply because it's run by huge name in the industry and they will need funding and stability and will be open to at least considering MS if they're interested.

Excellent points yeah, Tabatas name goes a long way. And he's been in the industry long enough that odds are pretty good he's worked with someone that works for Xbox now at some point. I definitely don't mean to say they aren't a good studio to consider, I just couldn't think of any supporting evidence, I wasn't thinking about that though.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent points yeah, Tabatas name goes a long way. And he's been in the industry long enough that odds are pretty good he's worked with someone that works for Xbox now at some point. I definitely don't mean to say they aren't a good studio to consider, I just couldn't think of any supporting evidence, I wasn't thinking about that though.
It's also a way MS could make a big splash for acquiring a Japanese studio by getting one headed by Tabata and funding them to make AAA games.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
EPn5CNzWkAA6LHo

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I feel like a lot of people are forgetting about Artplay when considering possible Japanese studios to acquire. Its headed by Koji Igarashi (or just IGA), the creator of the Metroidvania genre and the director of the most popular Castlevania games as well as the recent Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. They had to crowdfund Bloodstained and it still turned out amazing with a budget of around 5.5 million. I feel like if Artplay was given a constant, bigger budget then they could produce some truly amazing games

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
12 new job offers for Compulsion Games ! https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/search/?f_C=385767&locationId=OTHERS.worldwide

Principal systems programmer
Lead level artist
UI programmer
3D Artist
Level designer
Producer
Senior level designer - 8+ years experience in video game level design, with experience in 3rd person action and adventure games
Gameplay programmer
Writer
Senior Writer
Systems programmer
Senior UX designer

I think compulsion will become a studio of 80-100 employees.

with the old job offers normally there are 53-55, they will go up to 65-67 but I think that in the future they will recruit some interns, cinematic director, graphics engineer, senior level artist, more character artist etc. and increase to 80-100 employees.
Please nobody else apply to writer... I already did! :). I mean, I have no game writing experience, live in Toronto, and am in third year University, but I'd move to Montreal in a heartbeat. I also write scripts in my spare time. C'mon Compulsion, let's do this! :)

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Is it too early to make E3 prediction?

Also feel like JP games would be great for XGS. The only problem I see for MS to get a Japanese game devs is the fact that the Xbox brand in Japan is really small. I think you'd have hard time finding companies that would be okay with it unless they were struggling or their games made the majority of their sales in markets other than japan.

Edit: smaller studios like white owl would probably the easier ones to get.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it too early to make E3 prediction?

Also feel like JP games would be great for XGS. The only problem I see for MS to get a Japanese game devs is the fact that the Xbox brand in Japan is really small. I think you'd have hard time finding companies that would be okay with it unless they were struggling or their games made the majority of their sales in markets other than japan.

Edit: smaller studios like white owl would probably the easier ones to get.
PC, xCloud, and Game Pass are good ways MS can appeal to Japanese devs and make in roads in the Japanese market.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
PC, xCloud, and Game Pass are good ways MS can appeal to Japanese devs and make in roads in the Japanese market.
I mean there are definitely roads that can lead to the Xbox brand to growth in Japan I am just saying that I think it would be hard to convince a big-medium Japanese game studio to join XGS at this point. I hope I am wrong tho.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean there are definitely roads that can lead to the Xbox brand to growth in Japan I am just saying that I think it would be hard to convince a big-medium Japanese game studio to join XGS at this point. I hope I am wrong tho.
Nothing stays the same especially the market. Japan's console market has been steadily shrinking. Xbox has a future vision and infrastructure that includes services, streaming, PC, and console that may appeal to Japanese developers who see the bigger picture and where the market is heading.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
For me, rooting for the purchases of studios was only about 2 things:
  1. Xbox commitment
  2. Ability by Microsoft to follow through on IPs they get us hyped about
I feel good about both those things now. There are multiple ways to accomplish content goals without owning studios. With expansion and contractors, it's more about having enough good project leads.

With Japan, they may have to think outside the box. Work on a 2nd party relationship first and build off of that.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
how long is the lead in time for IX? Will we get a pre ori / bleeding edge stream in March or feb?

edit: I mean the announcement of an IX to actual stream, 1week? 2 weeks?

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
It should not be the same OS (it seems the OS will be Windows Core OS) but a similar UI. And it makes sense: they're keeping on improving XO UI, like they're evolving it rather than stopping to develop on it to focus on a completely new UI for SX.
Core OS is the next version of the underlying "core" platform for lack of a better term that the shell and user facing features are built upon. These shells include Windows 10, Xbox, HoloLens, and the upcoming Win10X.

Core OS is not something you'd ever see as an end user, the Xbox shell and it's features will continue to get iteratively updated as we approach the XSX release (and obviously after).

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
MS being in talks with Platinum is another thing that the Leak from last January got right lol. As time goes by more and more of that leak comes true lol.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

More of this in Halo infinite in big scale.

We need massive immersion, no scripted AI, discussions between AI who can open secondary missions for us if there are etc ...

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
MS being in talks with Platinum is another thing that the Leak from last January got right lol. As time goes by more and more of that leak comes true lol.

Link to it? Trying to remember

Also hooray to more Doom! As an id Software fanboy since I was little with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, growing up with Quake, etc, there isn't a game I'm more excited for

Well, also Halo Infinite

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
In regards to that leak, as I said earlier, how far along those talks were matters. It's pretty likely Xbox sent out letters to a bunch of high profile studios or studios they had relationships with that went nowhere. Making that guess correctly isn't that impressive, especially since its only lilely be proven right, not wrong. It's not likely those studios will come out and be like "this isn't true, we never talked to Xbox".

Still to come from that leak that could end up being proof of its truth are price of both boxes, specs of the second box, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct 2 (Which we're pretty sure isn't in development), "some old IPs", an exclusive Japanese game and an exclusive spy game (presumably other than Perfect Dark) .

Last edited:

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
imgur.com

Next Xbox mysterious leak

24305 views on Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Big services= PC Game Pass
PS5 Leak= In line with the newest 9TF leaks
Bleeding Edge= True 85%
Halo Infinite= True 100%
Forza Motorsport being the first raytraced Xbox Game= Apparently True
Killer Instinc 2= In line with OsirisBlack's leak
Perfect Dark= True 30% according to Morgoth

Well, apparently this guy was legit.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
$249 for a console with a 1tb ssd, 12 gb of ram and a new cpu and gpu. Lol sure.

My assumption would be that was the price prior to MS seemingly, and reportedly, "cancelling" lockhart. The rumors of it being back on the table would probably mean they made adjustments where they could and ultimately it's going to bump the price. I don't expect lockhart to be over $299 though.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
My assumption would be that was the price prior to MS seemingly, and reportedly, "cancelling" lockhart. The rumors of it being back on the table would probably mean they made adjustments where they could and ultimately it's going to bump the price. I don't expect lockhart to be over $299 though.
I'd expect it to be $350 at the minimum. Anyone expecting any lower in 2020 will be disappointed imo.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Something to remember with the lockheart is if it's all digital they can afford to be more aggressive on loss leading with the machine because they will make more back because they will get the exclusive 30% cut in full on every game transaction rather than losing partial sales to used games etc

Status
Not open for further replies.