• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious to know how far talks for an acquisition of Platinum went. If it was just "Microsoft sent them a letter and they turned it down", then I'm not that surprised, I imagine they sent a lot of first step letters that were turned down early on in this process.

But if there were actually meaningful conversations between the two parties and Platinum was seriously considering, thats...that's interesting. We'll of course never know, but still, I'll think about it.

Yup.
The good news is, MS still wants Japanese Studio.
It's coming :D

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Jez said the current one is the same.
He said on Xbox Two Podcast ( Rand al Thor 19 Youtube Channel ).
It should not be the same OS (it seems the OS will be Windows Core OS) but a similar UI. And it makes sense: they're keeping on improving XO UI, like they're evolving it rather than stopping to develop on it to focus on a completely new UI for SX.

Jan 25, 2020
I wonder with the Platinum news today if we will see other tidbits in the coming days regarding potential studios that Microsoft is looking into (could just be wishful thinking).

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Platinum Games would be a great addition to XGS. Shame it didn't work out.

Last edited:

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
My preference would be a completely brand new, fresh UI but I wouldn't be too upset if they updated the current UI and OS to be lightning quick.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Current as in placeholder hopefully lol
Yeah.

When you think about it, Game Pass alone deserves such a slick and cool user interface with video previews, top Achievements etc as you're browsing through etc. Like the latest Netflix interface but on steroids thanks to the additional power. So much they could do there. Also so that you don't have that 2-5 second pause when you click on a game to get to the purchase/install page etc. They really need to ditch the old fashioned blocky Metro style interface and build something totally new from scratch.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yup.
The good news is, MS still wants Japanese Studio.
It's coming :D

It also either means they aren't afraid to go after fairly large high profile Japanese studios, or they weren't boxing their ambitions by region to begin with and the US/CA/UK zone of the first set of acquisitions was just a coincidence.

I don't think news on a Japanese studio(s) is imminent, but man I'd love to hear it sooner rather than later.

Oct 25, 2017
It also either means they aren't afraid to go after fairly large high profile Japanese studios, or they weren't boxing their ambitions by region to begin with and the US/CA/UK zone of the first set of acquisitions was just a coincidence.

I don't think news on a Japanese studio(s) is imminent, but man I'd love to hear it sooner rather than later.

Yes.
I'm confident this year is the year :D

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Now with Xbox getting Yakuza games and directly on game pass too, I hope future games by Platinum will come to Xbox at the same time as the other versions as well. Hope plenty of folks will play Yakuza, so that'll show that we DO want Japanese games on our favorite black box. :)

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I think the reason MS was going for Platinum was because of how versatile their games are. They also have multiple teams and are able to deliver projects within good time, All the studios MS has purchased fall within same category.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Outside of a few details, the UI will probably be virtually identical to what is on the Xbox One.

I find that a huge shame. Part of a brand new console, new gen is the different look of the UI. I would expect MS to realize this too. Keep updating Xbox One until they don't support it anymore and make a different looking UI for the XSX, come on now.

If they indeed stick with this I hope it'll at least be lightning fast compared to Xbox One.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Big ass E3 for Xbox.
giphy.gif

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So beside aquisition and because there are already alot of third party developed games for xbox that we known:
Flight Sim (Asobo)
AoE3:DE(Tantalus Media )
AoE4 (Relic)
MCC PC (Splash Damage)
Ori (Moon Studios)
Geas Tactics (Splash Damage)
Battletoads ( Dlala Studios )
Crossfire X (Smilegate/Remedy Entertainment)
Tell me Why (Dontnod Entertainment)
Sumo Digital keeps supporting Playground Games

And taking out the usual multiplatt suspects Ubisoft, activision and EA, etc. What do you guys think, if any at all, would be titles phil put in the pipeline for xbox and gamepass or SeriesX?
Unannounced projects i know of:

IO Partnering with Warner Bros for some kind of "brand new title and concept" with multiplayer in mind, " bring a new console and PC game experience ".
Asobo working on a project with Focus Home Interactive
Rocksteady some kind of " AAA title on the next generation platforms " also with multiplayer.
Sumo working on their own IP and a second bigger game beside co development.
From Software works on another game beside elden ring.
Deck 13's next game is a new IP, also with Focus. Focus is pretty open to putting its games everywhere (Plague Tale showed up on Gamepass 6 months after release; I bet GreedFall's next), so I wouldn't be surprised if Deck 13's next game will be there fairly quickly.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Source?

I expect an upgraded version of the same OS but with a new UI.

If not then MS has massively dropped the ball. As Sony seems to be really focusing on updating their UI for PS5:

Between the additional RAM, CPU power, SSD and streaming, there is so much more the UI can do next gen. The XBO UI - even the new beta version - is so dull, slow, janky, boring, and not slick at all.

Honestly, that all sounds like the kind of features that would be used by a couple of launch games before slowly petering out and eventually going entirely unused and then forgotten completely.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I find that a huge shame. Part of a brand new console, new gen is the different look of the UI. I would expect MS to realize this too. Keep updating Xbox One until they don't support it anymore and make a different looking UI for the XSX, come on now.

If they indeed stick with this I hope it'll at least be lightning fast compared to Xbox One.
The latest insider builds are already much much better, but regardless, the fact that the Series X will have a faster CPU and SSD guarantees that the UI will be fast. So I wouldn't worry.

LevCortez

Jan 12, 2020
Deck 13's next game is a new IP, also with Focus. Focus is pretty open to putting its games everywhere (Plague Tale showed up on Gamepass 6 months after release; I bet GreedFall's next), so I wouldn't be surprised if Deck 13's next game will be there fairly quickly.
Will be intresting to see who puts games on Gamepass regular.

Also found an intresting Studio of former Bioware Devs while searching .
"multi-platform role playing game set in a new science fiction universe... represent the diversity of our audience....powerful choices that have real consequences."

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
So, realistically, what Japanese dev(s) could be acquired by Microsoft?
I still think White Owl is the most likely. JP games might be one to look at too.

The meltdown here would have been of epic proportions, had it happened. But honestly, it's a good thing PG will remain where they are. But again, please PG just don't skip Xbox anymore for no reason.
I don't think they have? NieR: Automata and Babylons Fall are both Square Enix deals, so not up to Platinum.

Astral Chain and Bayonetta 2/3 were funded by Nintendo.

I don't think I'd count any of that as Platinum skipping Xbox for no reason.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Wait a second, acquiring White Owls should mean that Deadly Premonition 2 will make its way to Xbox, right? In that case I'm all in.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I really hope mainline Gears makes an appearance at E3, I want new story DLC or SOMETHING that makes up for how the last part went down

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
So, realistically, what Japanese dev(s) could be acquired by Microsoft?

White Owls and Experience Inc are both on the smaller side and have some history working with Xbox. Mistwalker also has a history with Xbox and have been growing in to a full development studio recently with their next game going to Apple Arcade. White Owls honestly seems like the most likely out of this entire list, as they're the only ones that have successfully crowd funded a game, which is something every other acquisition except Playground games has done at least once. It proves they're fans will show up.

Tomonobu Itagaki and Yukio Futatsugi have worked with Microsoft some in the past as well and both head up independent studios, so Valhalla Games or Grounding Inc could happen. Valhalla Games also has offices in Canada, so that'd make them less isolated. Cyber Connect 2 also has an office in Canada and they've been pretty keen on gaining their creative freedom recently, but they're also pretty big.

Tri-Ace and Tri-Crescendo have both worked with Xbox some in the past and have a pretty serious pedigree, they'd be like the Obsidian and InXile of Japan if they were acquired together in my opinion. Though Tri-Ace isn't actually independent, they're owned by a mobile software company. They're not a console games publisher and it doesn't seem that Tri-Ace has been all that successful of an investment for them in the last 5 years, so it's not impossible they'd sell.

On that same line there's From, but From is doing pretty well lately so I doubt Kodakawa would sell them. People also keep bringing up Hajime Tabatas new studio, JP Games, but I'm not really sure why we think they're likely.

Major Longshots would be Kojima Productions and Level-5. Level-5 would be absolutely massive, but I could see them being Xbox's only Japanese addition, since they're multiple studios with multiple IPs and genres. Doesn't really fit the current MO, but Japan might be different. Kojima I just like bringing up because I worship chaos.

And then there's Kemco. They've been releasing a lot of games on Xbox, but they're not really ambitious or super beloved. Might be low hanging fruit, and could maybe grow to be something awesome, but I doubt it's worth it.

I think I covered pretty much everyone, but I'm also positive I missed a few. It's also possible they could acquire a studio they've never worked with completely out of left field, but at that point I'm just naming independent studios.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
On that same line there's From, but From is doing pretty well lately so I doubt Kodakawa would sell them. People also keep bringing up Hajime Tabatas new studio, JP Games, but I'm not really sure why we think they're likely.

The reason I ever bring up JP games is the fact they're a growing studio with a talented studio head (Tabata). It's a studio that would fit Microsoft's current MO and make a big splash in the industry, it would just be a while till their first release probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.