• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LevCortez

Jan 12, 2020
Those of you who have played the wasteland 2 before what platform did you play it on? Trying to decide between PC and Xbox, I prefer Xbox but I do like the KB+M controls.
Played on PC, but honestly i could also enjoy this on my sofa, such a good game for chill game session. But don't know about the controls, doesn't it have K+M support on the box?

Just going through "the Sprint" beside work currently. And next month they are at the E3 Demo phase, kinda exciting to think about.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It's not tough to say. There are limits, of course, but first parties in general are much more open to risks because they don't rely exclusively on the games to make profits. Alan Wake 2, an single player focused game with heavy emphasis on it's narrative and semi open world elements fits exactly in what Sony generally does, so it's clear that there are high chances that they would greenlit the game.

Remedy couldn't take the game to Sony when they were shopping a sequel around because the publishing rights for the game were still with Microsoft.

I don't necessarily think it will happen since i think that "insider" is full of shit, but i can see it happening.

Okay, so I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant Remedy (or anyone) would have a hard a hard time getting some things greenlit at Sony. I assumed you were referring to the "all Sony makes is interactive movies" line and the fact that SIE is known to have a pretty tough review process, but no you're absolutely right yeah.

I agree Remedy fits pretty well with Sony and Sony would probably be a big boost for them, but I doubt the acquisition rumors are true yeah. Maybe an exclusive partnership or something.

Jan 25, 2020
Hey everyone! Been browsing this thread since OT2, hoping to "jump in" on all this great Xbox talk (And to also speak Project Gotham Racing 5 into existence). Been on team Xbox since '01, hope you'll have me!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
So.. yeah. Posted on the Halo Subreddit.

Apparently this was from December 2019 and it matches the UI footage in the "We are 343" video.

Jan 25, 2020
Okay, so I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant Remedy (or anyone) would have a hard a hard time getting some things greenlit at Sony. I assumed you were referring to the "all Sony makes is interactive movies" line and the fact that SIE is known to have a pretty tough review process, but no you're absolutely right yeah.

I agree Remedy fits pretty well with Sony and Sony would probably be a big boost for them, but I doubt the acquisition rumors are true yeah. Maybe an exclusive partnership or something.

A Remedy acquisition would really hammer home the "third-person action adventure" narrative that Sony gets praised and criticized for. It wouldn't surprise me, but they'd be better off diversifying with another studio that specializes in a genre they don't go after or have ignored.(FPS or Strategy)

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
So.. yeah. Posted on the Halo Subreddit.

Apparently this was from December 2019 and it matches the UI footage in the "We are 343" video.

Wait... LB = Grappling Hook

RT = Granades

So we're back to Halo 1-4 controls?

Hey everyone! Been browsing this thread since OT2, hoping to "jump in" on all this great Xbox talk (And to also speak Project Gotham Racing 5 into existence). Been on team Xbox since '01, hope you'll have me!

Hello and welcome!

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
that could mean the campaign is going to atleast be semi open world. and if they are putting rpg elements into then they could be having the diff armor do diff things

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Gears 5 had a few bugs at launch (I only experienced one instance of one bug myself, tbf), so I'm sure TC could find something to do with the time.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
gOpvgKh.png

FS2020 New pic -from alpha
nice

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I can't wait for E3 to happen because I bet that's where we'll hear/see what The Initiative is working on. Be good to finally know for sure if it's PD, some other old IP or actually a brand new IP.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
A Remedy acquisition would really hammer home the "third-person action adventure" narrative that Sony gets praised and criticized for. It wouldn't surprise me, but they'd be better off diversifying with another studio that specializes in a genre they don't go after or have ignored.(FPS or Strategy)

Totally agree, I also think so far Sony hasn't shown that they're trying to grow the same way Microsoft is, they've just been "locking down" studios they have a strong history with. So in that regard Remedy doesn't seem likely.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
This might have been discussed already and I just missed it. But I was listening to Kinda Funny's 15 games that define Xbox and Ryan Mccaffery was on it. They where talking about Fable being one of the most requested titles by fans and Ryan's response was your in luck. Was that sort of a slip on inside info or just him commenting on the rumor that has been going on for what seems like a few years?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This might have been discussed already and I just missed it. But I was listening to Kinda Funny's 15 games that define Xbox and Ryan Mccaffery was on it. They where talking about Fable being one of the most requested titles by fans and Ryan's response was your in luck. Was that sort of a slip on inside info or just him commenting on the rumor that has been going on for what seems like a few years?
Just commenting on the rumor. I watch the Poscast Unlocked thst he hosts and they tall about the Fable project from PG as an open secret, basically.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Just commenting on the rumor. I watch the Poscast Unlocked thst he hosts and they tall about the Fable project from PG as an open secret, basically.
I kind of figured it was that but wasn't totally sure. Ryan doesn't seem like the person who would slip. Listening to them did make me want new entries in a lot of the franchises we haven't seen in awhile.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
So I just read the OT on the indie game "Coffee Talk", and I immediately thought about JE Sawyer. On his AMA, he said that if he were to ever go back to directing games at Obsidian, one of his dream projects would be a little RPG about managing a bike shop in Chicago (he loves vintage bikes). I thought it was madness, but now I can see how a quirky little game could be made out of the idea.

While XGS and Game Pass needs big budget singleplayer and multiplayer games to keep subscriptions up, I hope XGS continues to make some of these smaller passion projects as well. We've already seen some like Grounded and Project Mara, so I'm hopeful for it.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So I just read the OT on the indie game "Coffee Talk", and I immediately thought about JE Sawyer. On his AMA, he said that if he were to ever go back to directing games at Obsidian, one of his dream projects would be a little RPG about managing a bike shop in Chicago (he loves vintage bikes). I thought it was madness, but now I can see how a quirky little game could be made out of the idea.

While XGS and Game Pass needs big budget singleplayer and multiplayer games to keep subscriptions up, I hope XGS continues to make some of these smaller passion projects as well. We've already seen some like Grounded and Project Mara, so I'm hopeful for it.
I really, REALLY want Obsidian to iterate on the Alpha Protocol formula. Any game doing that can't have a AAA scope, by definition.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised nobody posted this here yet, great read about how much of a change happened within Rare and why they did what they did with all the Kinect thing.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure you will get plenty of small projects. Tim Schaefer has said after psychonauts he'll want to go back to a small project and has had some game ideas for awhile now that he has kept on the back burner because he never thought publishers would approve them.

Destructoid: Psychonauts seems like a bigger project compared to other recent games of Double Fine's -- from a budget and personnel standpoint. Moving forward, do you want to go back to projects that are smaller in scope--

Schafer: Yes!

Destructoid: Really?

Schafer: Yes! [laughing]

Destructoid: So, you want to go back to things that are more along the lines of like Rad or Headlander?

Schafer: Only because I like to do the opposite of what I last did. When we did Broken Age, I really like that game but afterward I was like "I want to make a big world. I want to make a big world to explore again." Now we're making Psychonauts. After Psychonauts, I want to do the opposite. I want to make something really small. I just naturally cycle back and forth between things like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend which are really opposite. Just try different things. When you're doing something creative, I think it's natural to try to do the opposite. Especially when something takes four years to make.

It's nice in some ways to have the scope to tell a big story. But, there are also some smaller ideas that have been kicking around in my head that I never thought I could get a publisher to sign. Now I'm thinking about them again because I don't have to go through that same process.
Destructoid: Not holding you to anything here, but from a personal standpoint, which of your games would you like to make a sequel for? I'm sure a lot of people would like to hear you say Brutal Legend, but I think it'd be really neat to get another Stacking or Trenched.

Schafer: We tried to make a Stacking 2. Publishers wouldn't go for it. For years, I was really anti-sequel because I always have a new idea that I want to do. They wanted me to make a sequel to Full Throttle but if I did that, I wouldn't have made Grim Fandango. If I did that to Grim Fandango, I wouldn't have made Psychonauts. And on and on. So, I didn't for years. Then the first one we did was either Costume Quest 2 or Kinect Party, which is technically a sequel but kind of more like an expansion to Happy Action Theater. Psychonauts 2 is the first time I'm really getting into it. I like it because jumping back into it, it's weird how natural it is to write those characters again. We might do it again someday.

Broken Age was a look back to adventure games, a whole genre I hadn't done in a long time. Then the remasters of Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Day of the Tentacle were looking back. Psychonauts 2 is brand new but it's also a sequel, so it's also kind of looking back. Since 2012, I've just been looking back in some ways. I'm really looking forward to doing something completely original and not connected to anything.
www.destructoid.com

Tim Schafer talks Microsoft acquisition, why Japan doesn't like his games, and what's after Psychonauts 2

Sitting down with an industry legend Tim Schafer is a busy man as of late. As if the stress of...

You see the same with Ninja Theory. Some of their projects look more like research projects than games. tbh I am sure every studio is doing some kind of small project or has one in mind in the future. With digital games growing and subscriptions becoming a thing and needing constant content, games with a limited scope will come back in a big way. Matt Booty has said what they are looking for out of their new teams is polished, smaller scope games that can be built by smaller teams. That would certainly allow for more risks and passion projects.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if Klob shared this here like he did on twitter, but a great article about Rare reconciling with past mistakes to work towards a brighter future.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-29-who-saved-rare
Surprised nobody posted this here yet, great read about how much of a change happened within Rare and why they did what they did with all the Kinect thing.

Already posted but it's a great read.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
I'm sure you will get plenty of small projects. Tim Schaefer has said after psychonauts he'll want to go back to a small project and has had some game ideas for awhile now that he has kept on the back burner because he never thought publishers would approve them.

www.destructoid.com

Tim Schafer talks Microsoft acquisition, why Japan doesn't like his games, and what's after Psychonauts 2

Sitting down with an industry legend Tim Schafer is a busy man as of late. As if the stress of...

You see the same with Ninja Theory. Some of their projects look more like research projects than games. tbh I am sure every studio is doing some kind of small project or has one in mind in the future. With digital games growing and subscriptions becoming a thing and needing constant content, games with a limited scope will come back in a big way. Matt Booty has said what they are looking for out of their new teams is polished, smaller scope games that can be built by smaller teams. That would certainly allow for more risks and passion projects.

Thanks for posting that article, I'd missed it when it came out.

Unrelated to your point, but something mentioned in there is how well a fit Double Fine games are to Nintendo platforms. I think that's something I like the most about that acquisition, is Double Fine is such a vastly different developer than the ones Microsoft has. With the exception of Rare, no one else makes those charming, Nintendo-esque games. I really look forward to see what they eventually do with first party money and first party marketing.

That Rare article above is interesting too. I hadn't considered the change in Rare's culture before, but they were famously secretive. And now they do regular developer diaries. I'm glad they've found such success with Sea of Thieves, I'm not sure if I mentioned this (apologies if I am repeating myself) but I gave it a go as a solo sloop for the first time in probably a year (thanks Game Pass) and it just bloody clicked this time. Previous times I'd definitely felt the "Sea of Thieves sucks alone" feeling that people talk about. But I was having fun. There seemed heaps to do now too. Sure there were chests and skulls. But suddenly books. And characters who would talk to me. It was fun and I dug it.

Status
Not open for further replies.