• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Was gunna mention dead mage games as a possible acquisition as children of morta is bloody fantastic but I just saw they are located in Iran so that will be a no go.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Yes, I agree with you. The problem is when the said game is from a famous franchise who was multiplatform untill that moment, like for example Street Fighter V and Rise of The Tomb Raider.
I really never get the restrictions when it comes to companies spending money and trying to make their platform as competitive as possible. If Sony or Microsoft are willing to pay money to get a game exclusive to their platform, then that is simply the way the business works. People come up with so many restrictions that are not workable in the real world.

You're out of your mind if you're trying to say that Batman and Spiderman have nothing to do with the success of those games. Yeah they're good games, but success isn't just one thing and the IP is a big part of it. Some markets more than others, Spiderman outsold pretty much every Sony first party game except Knack in Japan mostly because of the IP*.

I don't personally think Microsoft "needs" an exclusive Marvel game either, but you're absolutely kidding yourself if you're trying to say beloved characters don't sell games.

*This is physical sales, which matter more in Japan than most other markets, but still. Grain of salt.
How big was The Witcher before CD Projekt Red took the IP?

SpiderMan was already a huge IP, and this was something that was followed by a developer actually doing the game justice after so many subpar games were put out. Microsoft does not need a huge IP, or an established juggernaut. All they need is to do a fantastic game and the success will follow.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
How big was The Witcher before CD Projekt Red took the IP?

SpiderMan was already a huge IP, and this was something that was followed by a developer actually doing the game justice after so many subpar games were put out. Microsoft does not need a huge IP, or an established juggernaut. All they need is to do a fantastic game and the success will follow.

I agree with you that Microsoft doesn't need some big licensed game, that's literally what I just said. My point wasn't that only big IPs sell games, my point was that it's absolutely not true that a big IP doesn't help sales. How big was the Witcher before the first Witcher game? Not very. But how much more would the first game have sold if it were a Lord of the Rings or Song of Ice and Fire (maybe a bit early) game?

A licensed IP doesn't make a good game, but it absolutely sells games. Good or bad sometimes to be fair, those sub-par Spiderman games sold pretty well themselves.

Last edited:

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Oh boy, here come the threads.....
In Australia they usually set a ceiling if no price is given when the pre orders enter their system and then refund or try to get you to do store credit on anything above actual retail. I know the Xbox one x was live at EB around feb before the price was known and they had a placeholder price of 999

edit: just price checked the all digital promo price they are running and it's forJB hifi Australia so I'm saving my dollarydoos 😭

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
In Australia they usually set a ceiling if no price is given when the pre orders enter their system and then refund or try to get you to do store credit on anything above actual retail. I know the Xbox one x was live at EB around feb before the price was known and they had a placeholder price of 999
Oh I'm well aware, but sensibility isn't the strong suit of a lot of people online....

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
We have a GST which is included in the advertised price. Assuming that and historically weak conversion rate you are looking around 650-700USD.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I agree with you that Microsoft doesn't need some big licensed game, that's literally what I just said. My point wasn't that only big IPs sell games, my point was that it's absolutely not true that a big IP doesn't help sales. How big was the Witcher before the first Witcher game? Not very. But how much more would the first game have sold if it were a Lord of the Rings or Song of Ice and Fire (maybe a bit early) game?

A licensed IP doesn't make a good game, but it absolutely sells games. Good or bad sometimes to be fair, those sub-par Spiderman games sold pretty well themselves.
My hope is that at some point down the line, Microsoft does get a superhero game, and that they have what it takes to push out a stellar title. It could be a stealth game around Punisher. It could be a RPG with choice around say Sinestro and all his scheming.

It does not have to be Iron Man, Superman, or quests around a villain like Thanos/Doctor Doom (although the latter is something that would have my attention). What makes people stand up and notice is whether a game is great, and this is something that sets up sequels in for greater things.

Microsoft has done a lot of things to try and diversify their lineup, and this is something that would accomplish something similar with a more visible and recognizable character. What is not to love?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Console manufactures funding games from 3rd parties isn't moneyhatting except by the loosest definition of the term. It happens constantly, that's how we get games like Ori, Quantum Break, Death Stranding and Bloodborne.
Except Ori, QB, DS and Bloodborne aren't classified as money-hats. Money-hatting is presenting a big (hat) of money purely to bar it from the other systems

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
rK8bw2O.png

Feb 23, 2018
Pretty interesting interview with Jerry Hook (343i Head of Design Halo Infinite, former Bungie) about designing live service games:

Podcast Link

Key takeaways for me:
'community is the endgoal'
Involving the community as soon as possible via special events / invites and small scale flighting
They have an economist on the team for helping with all things monetization
He's not said this specifically in regards to Infinite... but he talks about building a long term platform... which would fit perfectly with talk about Halo Infinite as a platform

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

edit: just price checked the all digital promo price they are running and it's forJB hifi Australia so I'm saving my dollarydoos 😭

I got my launch XB1 for £399 because a store guessed the price wrong before E3 price announcement.

Better for them to go high.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I hope MS doesn't go after any superhero games. I'd much rather see them explore new IP. Superhero stuff is rather played out at this point, and if they do it they will only do an already overexposed, high profile character like Spider Man, Batman-tier. If they have to, please contract an outside studio. I'd be crushed if e.g. Initiative were being wasted on more Marvel stuff instead of setting them free to imagine something new.

I want the next Shadow of the Colossus or Okami or Gears (1). Things that are fresh and different, and very high quality, not just figuring out how to work a bunch of well-defined signature moves into another 3rd person action game.

Just my opinion... I get that commercial realities may lead to my disappointment.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope MS doesn't go after any superhero games. I'd much rather see them explore new IP. Superhero stuff is rather played out at this point, and if they do it they will only do an already overexposed, high profile character like Spider Man, Batman-tier. If they have to, please contract an outside studio. I'd be crushed if e.g. Initiative were being wasted on more Marvel stuff instead of setting them free to imagine something new.

I want the next Shadow of the Colossus or Okami or Gears (1). Things that are fresh and different, and very high quality, not just figuring out how to work a bunch of well-defined signature moves into another 3rd person action game.

Just my opinion... I get that commercial realities may lead to my disappointment.

Where is this stuff about a superhero game coming from?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Jerret West Former Vice President/Head of Marketing at Netflix Asia / Europe / Africa and North America Joins Microsoft as Chief Marketing Officer at XBOX! https://www.linkedin.com/in/jerretw/?originalSubdomain=sg

Before, he was at Microsoft and it was him who took care of the interallactic launch of Halo 3 with 300M of revenue in the first week.

From 2008 to 2011, he was in charge of XBOX LIVE and he made it the biggest growth of a business at Microsoft with 20 million subscribers in 2011.

Wherever he went, he did a spectacular job and now he's back home.

You can not know how happy I am because it has a huge experience on all continents Europe / Asia / America but also it makes sense with the new strategy of Xbox. It will bring a new era of worldwide marketing to XBOX.

Huge get for MS, really, really impressive hire there. Next gen sounds incredibly promising.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt a team like TI will work on a existing IP or a superhero IP because the team is full of industry vets who probably have their own idea for a IP and "limits" them also abit in creative decisions.
Wich is a big thing within TI.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm not really into this topic but that Spiderman game sold 13 Million copies. I feel like we might see more licensed games that are not developed for the quick cash but as a potential big blockbuster. Just like The Witcher can now become a Netflix hit when made from a game into a TV series. In a way this is less risky than a completely new IP, because some people will jump on board more easily.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Former Gameplay programmer at Rockstar,Obsidian and Ready at Dawn join InXile as Sr Gameplay Programmer https://www.linkedin.com/in/andymgardner

work on :
Max Payne 3
RDR1
South Park
The order 1886
Lone echo 1 et 2
Next RAD project ?

Inxile is hugely recruiting into its engineering team, and it is still recruiting senior gameplay engineers.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Former Gameplay programmer at Rockstar,Obsidian and Ready at Dawn join InXile as Sr Gameplay Programmer https://www.linkedin.com/in/andymgardner

work on :
Max Payne 3
RDR1
South Park
The order 1886
Lone echo 1 et 2
Next RAD project ?

Inxile is hugely recruiting into its engineering team, and it is still recruiting senior gameplay engineers.

Soooo happy about them! My favs at the moment!

(all recent hires suggest that it will have 3rd/1st person perspective, most impressive work by Gardner is Max Payne 3's gameplay)

P.S. I'm burning to get Wasteland: Vegas (Add Sawyer from Obsidian to the team, and add Avellone and you have perfect dream-team RPG studio with true industry legend Fargo at helm)

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Some folks truly are running wild with the most ridiculous claims in the next gen speculation thread now huh? It makes MisterX actually look legit in comparison. It's pretty sad, lol.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Whats the difference? In both cases they are paying 3rd party dev to have game on their own system.
In one case you are funding the game and most of the time publishing it, like Tell Me Why.
In the other case the game is already funded and is gonna be available on every platform (like Tomb Raider) and you are giving money to block that.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

work on :
Max Payne 3
RDR1
South Park
The order 1886
Lone echo 1 et 2
Next RAD project ?

Going to stick to my guns and say InXile is the one to look out for. Brian Fargo isn't one to overlook with resources he has now.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
In one case you are funding the game and most of the time publishing it, like Tell Me Why.
In the other case the game is already funded and is gonna be available on every platform (like Tomb Raider) and you are giving money to block that.

Blocking for timed exclusive, well yes that is pretty stupid.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Whats the difference? In both cases they are paying 3rd party dev to have game on their own system.

In a publishing situation , then they are paying for the entire development of the game, the publisher is taking all the risk, the developers have pitched the game to that publisher. This is typically why these types of deals have the publisher owning the IP also.
This is the developer/publisher business relationship for 99% of games.

For platform holders the risk is mitigated by utilising these titles as marketing campaigns.
Marketing campaigns to sell the platform to consumers.

Now there is a very clear division between that transaction and the other types of deals that involve another publishers.

Platform holders selling their unique position of owning an advertising platform seen by millions.
In return they ask for exclusivity or content.
Primarily this is happening with publishers.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Do we know if Global Publishing will seek to secure exclusive AAA games from 3rd party developers?

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
One thing I think Xbox is still missing is the « make your dream come true » factor that Sony managed to nail with Shenmue 3, FF7 Remake and The Last Guardian.

I would love to see Xbox go seek dormant IP with a devoted fanbase that would make for awesome reactions if they see a new episode or a remake being revealed.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I think Xbox is still missing is the « make your dream come true » factor that Sony managed to nail with Shenmue 3, FF7 Remake and The Last Guardian.

I would love to see Xbox go seek dormant IP with a devoted fanbase that would make for awesome reactions if they see a new episode or a remake being revealed.
Flight Sim and AOE4(not announce for Xbox yet)?

Status
Not open for further replies.