• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2019
Initiative doing a Marvel game?

300px-You_Son_of_a_Bitch%2C_I%E2%80%99m_In.jpg

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be fine with The Initiative's game being a Marvel licensed character. The only thing that matters is if it's a good game or not.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
The Initiative is probably the XGS group that will start the "initiative" for new things with games. I go back to the comment about creating universes/characters that are rich and can have their own story in similar history that marvel/dc/lotr/etc have with their characters.

i bet they want to introduce a universe and then multiple characters which eventually end up branching off to their own story and then maybe together again in later installments.

but i could be wrong and they stick with traditional sense and make one or two characters hold the spotlight forever through that IP/universe/franchise.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
Spider man is already the perfect Marvel superhero game.. I can't think of another character with fun game mechanics like the Spider-Man universe could produce. I thought The Initiative is working on a game inspired by Interstellar...

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'd be slightly disappointed if Initiative's game was a Marvel game. Not because Marvel games can't be good, but I am hoping for something more original from such an all-stars team.

Honestly, this is kind of where I am, too. Ultimately, I would much prefer it if all the Marvel stuff was fully multiplatform, but I guess that's not going to happen now.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Spider man is already the perfect Marvel superhero game.. I can't think of another character with fun game mechanics like the Spider-Man universe could produce. I thought The Initiative is working on a game inspired by Interstellar...
Not that The Initiative is making a Marvel game but this doesn't make any sense honestly. You could come up with fun mechanics for almost every Marvel character out there lol. Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Dr. Strange...

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
The Initiative is probably the XGS group that will start the "initiative" for new things with games. I go back to the comment about creating universes/characters that are rich and can have their own story in similar history that marvel/dc/lotr/etc have with their characters.

i bet they want to introduce a universe and then multiple characters which eventually end up branching off to their own story and then maybe together again in later installments.

but i could be wrong and they stick with traditional sense and make one or two characters hold the spotlight forever through that IP/universe/franchise.

The XGS VIDEOGAMING UNIVERSE featuring Kait, Steve, Masterchief and Ori in one game.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Not that The Initiative is making a Marvel game but this doesn't make any sense honestly. You could come up with fun mechanics for almost every Marvel character out there lol. Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Dr. Strange...

Rod Ferguson form The Coalition has shown a Captain America statue multiple times on Twitter over the last couple years, and I bet you could even do cool things with that character too in a video game.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

Captain America, Daredevil, Punisher, Blade, Black Widow, Black Panther.

And if you wanted a game about rogue characters, that could be Dr. Doom, Magneto, Thanos. There is so much that could be done by a lot of Marvel's IP's yet the one that is so used is SpiderMan.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So, yesterday I was watching Kinda Funny's 2020 predictions and there was one that made me think "well, maybe?"
Tim Getty said that Marvel approached Sony for Spiderman, Nintendo for MUA3 and that he thought it was hard to imagine Marvel approaching the 2 and not MS or approaching MS and MS not being interested (which yeah, would be kinda odd) and his prediction was that they will revel said game this year and it will be The Initiative's game, and for the character either Dr.Strange, Guardians or Wolverine.
What do you people think?
There's a MS game in the making? Which studio is making it? And wich character will it be about?

Hmmm it's a prediction, so it could very well not be happening at all but he does have a point. Marvel is still very popular and wanted, so MS approaching them wouldn't be farfetched. But honestly, I'd rather see this team come with something new.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Next question... do we think Initiative will become a two team studio at some point? I wonder the same about 343. I know they are supposed to be IP factories, but I can't help but wonder if they will ever start to branch out from the formulas under the new "Xbox" mantra of loads of new games/IP

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
In the past, all the studios Microsoft founded have been named for an element of the franchise they're working on. So obviously the Initiative is doing a Buffy game.

Like, come on guys, it's right there.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next question... do we think Initiative will become a two team studio at some point? I wonder the same about 343. I know they are supposed to be IP factories, but I can't help but wonder if they will ever start to branch out from the formulas under the new "Xbox" mantra of loads of new games/IP
Perhaps, but it will probably be a long time before that that happens as they try to create their own identity and hopefully set a standard by making good games.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking the initiative is making a VR project. Kinda hoping they do, because this thread would be pissed lol. I enjoy others suffering. Sorry.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
In the past, all the studios Microsoft founded have been named for an element of the franchise they're working on. So obviously the Initiative is doing a Buffy game.

The XGS VIDEOGAMING UNIVERSE featuring Kait, Steve, Masterchief and Ori in one game.
The Initiative is making a game where The Initiative from Buffy is splicing every Xbox character together to create the ultimate Xbox character.

(Season 4 of Buffy was kind of dumb. Lol.)

IRECLAIMER117

Banned
May 4, 2019
The only marvel IP that would make sense for them would be the punisher I'm surprised no ones done a serious reboot of that after the success of Spider-Man and the popularity of the new show on Netflix that was really good.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
\
The only marvel IP that would make sense for them would be the punisher I'm surprised no ones done a serious reboot of that after the success of Spider-Man and the popularity of the new show on Netflix that was really good.
It only makes sense for you because that's what you prefer. Ultimately any Marvel character or any license can make sense, if the studio is passionate about it and has good ideas on game design and mechanics to fully flesh it out the experience and actually executes them well.

Jan 4, 2018

Or Marvel as we were discussing (Avengers Initiative) :p
(I always wondered if that was in fact why they chose that name, seeing as the studio is kinda like an all-stars of devs)

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
The Initiative is making a game where The Initiative from Buffy is splicing every Xbox character together to create the ultimate Xbox character.

(Season 4 of Buffy was kind of dumb. Lol.)

Adam was a pretty bad villain, though arguably he's more a weapon than an actual big bad. I thought Riley was a good character and had some good struggles.

Joking aside, I'd be pretty in on a Buffy game, and it's owned by Disney now, so they may be in to licensing it. You know something... There was a Buffy game exclusive to the OG Xbox, developed by The Collective, that would eventually become part of Double Helix, and Gallagher did say something about the Initiative returning to a character that had a history with Xbox...

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Sigh. None is saying that last thing and those two first things went hand to hand back in day.

None is saying this. There are people who have SSD and small loading times as first priority, but none is saying CPU, GPU, RAM doesn't count.

You should both stop that stupid console warring and self loathing. People see Xbox pretty positively currently.

No.

You were saying? There are many people claiming that the SSD is the real "game changer" in that thread over and over but please keep up your holier than thou attitude.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I really, really hope the Initiative isn't making a Marvel game. I think it's important that the Initiative does a new IP. I would love for Xbox to have a Marvel game, but like Sony's first attempt, I think it's important that it's done by a second-party partner and Microsoft doesn't use a first-party studio to make a game with an IP they don't control. If the Initiative was doing a super hero game, I'd almost rather see them create their own and get a big name to play the character to help promote the game.

All that being said, if the Initiative is making a Marvel game, isn't the obvious answer that they'd use Deadpool? You could get Ryan Reynolds to do the game. It could be a third-action game with shooting and melee combat. Deadpool is already Rated R, you would have to imagine Marvel would be okay with it being an M rated game and including some crude and gratuitously violent elements. The movement could be really fun with different parkour elements and the "powers" could be different references to the fact that Deadpool constantly breaks the fourth wall (things like using the third-person camera to aim at enemies he couldn't see in first-person and slowing down or stopping time). Those moments could also be used to inject a lot of humor into the game.

The Initiative's design director and most vocal employee, Drew Murray, was also a director on Sunset Overdrive and while I wouldn't want a Deadpool game to have the same cartoon art style, it could be used as a blueprint for what could make a Deadpool game successful.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DC has a big line of heroes and only use Batman.
Yes, and they have a huge video game division. Marvel doesn't and overall have had a more recent successful run of their films and characters. MS also seems to have a really good relationship with Disney, hence all the Disney games they put on Games with Gold and they've made Backwards Compatible.

However don't get me wrong, If MS wants to do a DC character. Then by all means, do it. I'm down for whatever the studio is passionate about and wants to make.

I really, really hope the Initiative isn't making a Marvel game. I think it's important that the Initiative does a new IP. I would love for Xbox to have a Marvel game, but like Sony's first attempt, I think it's important that it's done by a second-party partner and Microsoft doesn't use a first-party studio to make a game with an IP they don't control. If the Initiative was doing a super hero game, I'd almost rather see them create their own and get a big name to play the character to help promote the game.

All that being said, if the Initiative is making a Marvel game, isn't the obvious answer that they'd use Deadpool? You could get Ryan Reynolds to do the game. It could be a third-action game with shooting and melee combat. Deadpool is already Rated R, you would have to imagine Marvel would be okay with it being an M rated game and including some crude and gratuitously violent elements. The movement could be really fun with different parkour elements and the "powers" could be different references to the fact that Deadpool constantly breaks the fourth wall (things like using the third-person camera to aim at enemies he couldn't see in first-person and slowing down or stopping time). Those moments could also be used to inject a lot of humor into the game.

The Initiative's design director and most vocal employee, Drew Murray, was also a director on Sunset Overdrive and while I wouldn't want a Deadpool game to have the same cartoon art style, it could be used as a blueprint for what could make a Deadpool game successful.
There is no obvious answer except what your preference is that you're projecting to be obvious.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Do you think obsidian is on pre prod of TOW2 ?
Technically yes. Pre-production mostly happens while the majority of the team is working on something else. It's concepts, planning, writing, and a decent bit more. Most games start pre-production around the time they moved the other project out of pre-production and into full-development. TOW2 already has a script written.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Technically yes. Pre-production mostly happens while the majority of the team is working on something else. It's concepts, planning, writing, and a decent bit more. Most games start pre-production around the time they moved the other project out of pre-production and into full-development. TOW2 already has a script written.

Chris Parker AAA Project and The outer world 2 with more budget for the next gen 🤯

So I think TOW2 is not for now, I think the full team is on Chris Parker Project and small team brain-storming TOW2 ?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

You were saying? There are many people claiming that the SSD is the real "game changer" in that thread over and over but please keep up your holier than thou attitude.

But aren't they basically just saying what Sony has been claiming about their SSD? Significantly shorter loading times is going to be great but I doubt the difference between PS5's and XSX's will be huge or anything.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This game will be such a sleeper hit, as in nobody really thinks about it but it will have millions of players easily. The gameplay is addictive as hell and they're nailing both the visual and audio feedback that makes your hits, your magic effects, your loot pickups, your progress feel really satisfying. I only hope it doesn't come out too close to Doom Eternal.

Jan 4, 2018
Conspiracy theory time!

About the Series X leak...
I was thinking that it's fair to assume there's not a lot of Series X prototypes out there, so who could be the origin of the leak?

And something came up.
There's someone who:
- Might have access to a prototype
- Doesn't work there anymore, so less possibilities of repercussions (yeah, he could be fined, but only if there was an NDA, wich given his former positions I'm not sure was necessary. No loosing the job or anything else)
- Has a track record of doing puzzling things, to say the least.
- Incidentally, he flew to and back from Seattle yesterday.

Anyone else thinks there's a chance it was Mike Ybarra?
I'm not sure myself but being him I won't be confident in saying 100% it wasn't him either

Status
Not open for further replies.