• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
X isn't a different story. It will only be supported as long as the S and not a day longer. Once Microsoft stops making games for the S they will stop making them for the X. They are in the same boat.

Nah, that's not what I meant :)

I meant you won't get much money for your old Xbox One S in a year or two from now. But if you have a One X, you'll get more money for it. So if stores have a trade in program or something, I don't think the old One will get them much, X will fare better.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Been reading on Xbox's strategy and I'm rather impressed. I really like the wide range of options. It's a very conservative approach that I can see paying off in the long term. I read posts saying that if you already own a PC it only makes sense to buy a PS5. Id say it's quite the opposite. With play anywhere and Xbox ultimate pass, including future cloud technology, the Xbox series X becomes the perfect companion to your PC experience. Allowing a wider range of options, and interconnectedness.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
One thing Booty said doesn't add up or maybe I'm just not understanding it fully yet.

He says one or two year, and also says that people making a investment in Xbox right now will feel that it's worth it (something closely along those lines). But let's say you buy an Xbox One S or X now and 2022 rolls on, when the games are supposed to be next gen only from then on, is that truly a worthy purchase for them?

I honestly interpret this entire point from Matt as more of a response to the "Xbox drops support for their systems late in life" criticism than as a radical new policy on multigenerational games. He's just saying, "Hey, if you want to buy in late, go for it! You'll get fresh games from us for at least a year or so and won't feel pressured to upgrade right away. Of course by about 2022 you can expect our focus to be entirely on next gen."

This is important if, as I suspect, they intend to keep Xbox One S around as a super value play for people who can only spend $150 or so. (Xbox One X goes away, Lockhart around $300, XSX around $500.)

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Been reading on Xbox's strategy and I'm rather impressed. I really like the wide range of options. It's a very conservative approach that I can see paying off in the long term. I read posts saying that if you already own a PC it only makes sense to buy a PS5. Id say it's quite the opposite. With play anywhere and Xbox ultimate pass, including future cloud technology, the Xbox series X becomes the perfect companion to your PC experience. Allowing a wider range of options, and interconnectedness.
I see it a few ways.
If you have a PC already that is generally your preferred platform. Then it makes sense to pick up a PS5 for exclusives but keep playing predominantly on PC. This group generally wasn't going to buy an Xbox in the first place at least not happily.
If you play on PS predominantly and you are buying a PC as a means to get into PC gaming you probably weren't going to get an Xbox anyways.
If you don't like PC gaming and just prefer consoles then it doesn't matter that those games are on PC as you aren't going to play them there any ways. This means that you may or may not buy an Xbox in addition to the PS5 you were going to get.
All of this goes out the window when discussing things like xCloud and streaming PSNow.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Those look nice

EOBJdD_XkAEgS8B

EOBJdELWkAA3d77

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Oh my oh my. Gorgeous. This sense of scale is something I wish Playground RPG would strive for, I just love roaming and find giant structures like this, it gives a sense of epicness that is rarely found in recent games.

EDIT: After checking his Artstation profile, he already works for Microsoft! He definitely should work closely with Obsidian, InXile or Playgrounds.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Btw he was already working for Ms ones. For mixed reality and was lead concept for project spark.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer when people say they aren't gonna buy the next Xbox and will buy their games on other platforms like PC.

df8.gif

I think the long term plan with the One S is to be covered by streaming games next gen games, so people don't get behind.

What if Microsoft goes full crazy and uses Project Kahawai to allow all Xbox Ones to play everything at great detail with little to no input lag?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but they've been established LONG ago, I don't know if they've made a serious effort since. Hellblade looks to be setting up that kind of universe and hopefully PD
I think the problem is they never made sequels for that many games because the first game didn't sell that well. Otherwise we would've had characters in franchises like Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Ryse, Recore, Blue Dragon, etc...

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I wish I understood the sky is falling mentality that ERA has right now over crossgen. Like, is there anything to suggest that developers are waiting at the floodgates to revolutionize gaming as we know it with next gen exclusives? The lukewarm reaction to Godfall seems to suggest otherwise anyway.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I understood the sky is falling mentality that ERA has right now over crossgen. Like, is there anything to suggest that developers are waiting at the floodgates to revolutionize gaming as we know it with next gen exclusives? The lukewarm reaction to Godfall seems to suggest otherwise anyway.
Besides graphics and scale, there really wasn't a big difference between this gens and last gen games. GTAV happened last gen and is still one of the most impressive open worlds. The revolution in game design is happening in the indie scene and VR.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
1st gen games never wow anyways it is fine. MS strategy isn't about selling consoles it is about subscribers.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I think the problem is they never made sequels for that many games because the first game didn't sell that well. Otherwise we would've had characters in franchises like Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Ryse, Recore, Blue Dragon, etc...
And this has been discussed around here before but they don't give any of their IP's a chance to catch on or they undercut the things people are initially excited about (ReCore) even Phil admitted the hype for ReCore was way more than they anticipated. I could apply that to alot of other MS IP's as well.

Overall I'm just excited to see how this plays out. Personally it's hard for me to get into a franchise or character if I don't know if their stories/lore are going to continue

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this has been discussed around here before but they don't give any of their IP's a chance to catch on or they undercut the things people are initially excited about (ReCore) even Phil admitted the hype for ReCore was way more than they anticipated. I could apply that to alot of other MS IP's as well.

Overall I'm just excited to see how this plays out. Personally it's hard for me to get into a franchise or character if I don't know if their stories/lore are going to continue
Yeah, I definitely believe Game Pass will help to allow franchises to be built even if the first game was Ok but had potential like the first Uncharted was for Sony.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
JFC, this. Is it safe in this thread? Can I be honest here without being accused of being self-victimizing for pointing out how obviously PS-leaning this forum is and how hyperbolic peoples takes are on the crossgen nonsense.

I genuinely think people expecting PS5 exclusives from the first couple years of the gen to have these ground-breaking revolutionary new game mechanics cause of the hardware are setting themselves up for disappointment. I'll happily be proven wrong but I just don't see it.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Besides graphics and scale, there really wasn't a big difference between this gens and last gen games. GTAV happened last gen and is still one of the most impressive open worlds. The revolution in game design is happening in the indie scene and VR.
There's also BOTW which was designed for Wii U.

I think budget, team size and general design goals effects stuff like world size, AI quality, enemy/NPC count and overall graphical fidelity more than anything else.

People are talking about "advanced" AI (whatever that means), physics and destructible environments when all of those have actually taken a step back this gen because they don't really drive hype or sales, at least not as much as highly polished graphics and restrictive and controlled cinematic set piece moments.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
JFC, this. Is it safe in this thread? Can I be honest here without being accused of being self-victimizing for pointing out how obviously PS-leaning this forum is and how hyperbolic peoples takes are on the crossgen nonsense.

I genuinely think people expecting PS5 exclusives from the first couple years of the gen to have these ground-breaking revolutionary new game mechanics cause of the hardware are setting themselves up for disappointment. I'll happily be proven wrong but I just don't see it.

Sony has traditionally dropped the previous gen like a rock in regards to game development however they end up having a drought of 1st party games at/around launch.

Sony's biggest games of 2020 are PS4 games, that will be updated for PS5. That's not a mistake. There's 106 million PS4s out and about, there won't even be 10% of that in PS5s for a while. Sony buying up 3rd party exclusives for PS5 is going to be pretty prevalent like it was for the PS4.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I don't really get it either, cross gen releases have been around as long as generations have. What hasn't happened before is getting the later generation game when you buy it for the earlier gen. That is new, and amazing!

Also, no company will say they will drop support. That also has been around for as long as generations have been. Wasn't the GBA supposed to be one of Nintendo's three pillars?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Gamers have a very funny relationship with novelty anyway. We rarely see games doing anything startlingly new (e.g. Gears 5 and Spiderman aren't new - at all), and when they do it's not often contingent on super-intensive usage of any one aspect of a computer (CPU for AI, say). Incremental revisions and progress are far more the order of the day when it comes to a game as a whole, systems and graphics et al: this leads to games millions adore, nevertheless. No problems.

BotW isn't wonderful because of any single hardware-related factor. It's wonderful because of design.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
[
I honestly interpret this entire point from Matt as more of a response to the "Xbox drops support for their systems late in life" criticism than as a radical new policy on multigenerational games. He's just saying, "Hey, if you want to buy in late, go for it! You'll get fresh games from us for at least a year or so and won't feel pressured to upgrade right away. Of course by about 2022 you can expect our focus to be entirely on next gen."
Spot on.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
Microsoft having the first couple years of cross gen is great for everyone involved. It will absolutely not hold back any games from being the best they can be on the series X.

if you look at games like killzone shadow fall, ryse, dead rising 3 those games were next gen only because of graphics. With Xbox game studios shift to supporting PC games they are already well versed on supporting different levels of hardware.
That's another reason why Sony may not be doing cross gen. They don't have the experience in supporting multiple hardware levels apart ps4/pro

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
And this scenario is working exactly as intended and is, in fact, the reason why this policy exists. Because the reality is they're probably not going to make any money from selling you a Series X this holiday. So why would they try to do it? Ah, well, because having more hardware helps build the ecosystem... except now, you can buy into the ecosystem for the price of the phone (or One X) you already own and $15/mo. And maybe at some point you'll buy into the newest hardware, which just serves to improve your experience with the ecosystem further.

As long as the economics and tech support this strategy, I think it'd be stupid and unnecessary to not support as many platforms as possible. And when they no longer work out? Then MS and third parties will stop. Easy peasy. Working as intended. We should be careful in this forum not to let the tail wag the dog. Hardware enables software and subscription sales, not vice versa.

Exactly. A couple extra years of GPU subscriptions from people are still on last gen is worth way more than consoles sold to the people that will upgrade immediately. A lot of people will have a hard time justifying 400+ for a new console plus money for new games, but won't think twice about 15 dollars a month for a year or two if there's new games continuing to come in to the service.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I just took a look in the new PS5 thread...

It's crazy how people seem so certain that XSX will be held back because as they say, games will be made still with Jaguar in mind. Why do they constantly ignore the things some posters here have repeatedly said about scaling? Have we seen proof of it yet? Nope, because XSX isn't out yet, but Jesus, easy with the jumping to conclusions.

It's gonna be a good time once we see unannounced games on XSX and they look phenomenal, it should shut these people up. I was told in that thread that some things just aren't easy or actually impossible to scale and will only mean more work for devs. Will it? We'll see, no way for us to know for sure. That much is a fact.

If it turns out they are right in the end, well that's gonna suck big time for the ones that will get the XSX on day one, but I've a feeling this won't be the case.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The games are going to look great on both machines and if anything it might just mean games end up having a performance focus on Xbox SX. Maybe we truly will get 4K 60fps in all games.

Truly the best of both worlds for gamers who want the console experiences.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017

It's crazy how people seem so certain that XSX will be held back because as they say, games will be made still with Jaguar in mind. Why do they constantly ignore the things some posters here have repeatedly said about scaling? Have we seen proof of it yet? Nope, because XSX isn't out yet, but Jesus, easy with the jumping to conclusions.

It's gonna be a good time once we see unannounced games on XSX and they look phenomenal, it should shut these people up. I was told in that thread that some things just aren't easy or actually impossible to scale and will only mean more work for devs. Will it? We'll see, no way for us to know for sure. That much is a fact.

If it turns out they are right in the end, well that's gonna suck big time for the ones that will get the XSX on day one, but I've a feeling this won't be the case.
Wait, are you telling me they just admit PS5 is weaker than XSX.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
The games are going to look great on both machines and if anything it might just mean games end up having a performance focus on Xbox SX. Maybe we truly will get 4K 60fps in all games.

Truly the best of both worlds for gamers who want the console experiences.
I predicted this back in 2018. MS wants 4K/60fps to be a standard on Series X. They didn't like how even launch games had to run at sub-1080p on the One, and they wanted to prevent that from ever happening again.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I'm gonna go on the record of not liking this strategy at all, but I can see where they're coming from. I think maintaining Game Pass subs is a big part of it, knowing what year 1 console sales usually are. At the end of the day, Xbox has Obsidian, Playground, Ninja Theory, Age of Empires, Game Pass.... I'm all-in regardless.

You guys are driving me nuts with this scaling pixie dust, though. It's one thing when you have Lockhart/XSX with identical CPUs, RAM, and SSDs. It's another thing entirely to "scale" to the XO's weak ass CPU, GPU, and HD. If you want a radical but clear example, look at Obsidian's own Fallout New Vegas. The Strip was designed to be one cell with tons of NPCs. What we got was three loading zones and dramatically reduced NPC counts (the 360 and PS3 couldn't run the initial vision). There was no scaling for PC players, we simply got stuck with the shitty 3 loading zones and sparse NPC counts because Obsidian and Bethesda didn't want one version of the game to be noticeably different from the others. That's what the concern trolling is about.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I understand people's apprehension, not everyone is an engineer and not everyone works in game, so it's easy to hear what you hear and believe that because it makes sense to you but then when someone else offers you other information that either doesn't make sense or forces you to give up on something, not believe it.

It's also pretty easy to point to every previous gen and be like "well why didn't Sunset Overdrive come to 360 then?" or "Why didn't BO3 have a campaign on PS3?". But like, you can't compare this gen shift to any previous gen. One budgets are way higher, even on smaller games, so more money can be put towards those optimizations, two the architecture between this and next gen are really close and these consoles are probably being designed with compatibility in mind, three most of the big publishers, Xbox and Sony included, have built up horizontal engineering teams just to do these kinds of optimizations and stuff for the studios, not to mention large support studios and port studios.

And scaling CPU bound tasks for these consoles will be a lot easier than scaling for PC, because instead of a ton of modular configurations to think about you have just a handful of discrete SKUs. You know exactly what you're looking for when you're dropping NPC counts or you're dropping chunk size or adding interstitials or whatever.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I see it a few ways.
If you have a PC already that is generally your preferred platform. Then it makes sense to pick up a PS5 for exclusives but keep playing predominantly on PC. This group generally wasn't going to buy an Xbox in the first place at least not happily.
If you play on PS predominantly and you are buying a PC as a means to get into PC gaming you probably weren't going to get an Xbox anyways.
If you don't like PC gaming and just prefer consoles then it doesn't matter that those games are on PC as you aren't going to play them there any ways. This means that you may or may not buy an Xbox in addition to the PS5 you were going to get.
All of this goes out the window when discussing things like xCloud and streaming PSNow.
I see. Well that does make sense. But, you dont think there'll be a small percent who'll buy the seriesx who already own a pc?In terms of upgrading wouldn't it be cheaper?

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna go on the record of not liking this strategy at all, but I can see where they're coming from. I think maintaining Game Pass subs is a big part of it, knowing what year 1 console sales usually are. At the end of the day, Xbox has Obsidian, Playground, Ninja Theory, Age of Empires, Game Pass.... I'm all-in regardless.

You guys are driving me nuts with this scaling pixie dust, though. It's one thing when you have Lockhart/XSX with identical CPUs, RAM, and SSDs. It's another thing entirely to "scale" to the XO's weak ass CPU, GPU, and HD. If you want a radical but clear example, look at Obsidian's own Fallout New Vegas. The Strip was designed to be one cell with tons of NPCs. What we got was three loading zones and dramatically reduced NPC counts (the 360 and PS3 couldn't run the initial vision). There was no scaling for PC players, we simply got stuck with the shitty 3 loading zones and sparse NPC counts because Obsidian and Bethesda didn't want one version of the game to be noticeably different from the others. That's what the concern trolling is about.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but you feel that this one game cross gen approach won't scale properly in terms of graphical displays? You feel this is just limited to the older systems, and it will have great graphics on the series x. Or as a whole?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I see. Well that does make sense. But, you dont think there'll be a small percent who'll buy the seriesx who already own a pc?In terms of upgrading wouldn't it be cheaper?

I'm planning on dropping back down from PC to XSX. At this point my entire PC would need to be replaced for next-gen, and I really like how MS is making things so simple with Game Pass. I'm moving cities next month and am going through a minimalist phase... going back to console fits with that move. I also want to play some games with my old college buddies again.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but you feel that this one game cross gen approach won't scale properly in terms of graphical displays? You feel this is just limited to the older systems, and it will have great graphics on the series x. Or as a whole?

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at here. You can change resolution, texture quality, etc... that stuff is easy. What isn't easy is how the SSD completely eliminates the need for "forced walking" loading sections like these:

squeezethrough.gif

You can entirely eliminate useless scenes like this next-gen. There's other examples like ray-tracing, foliage density, NPC counts, etc.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Wait, are you telling me they just admit PS5 is weaker than XSX.

Not sure where you're getting that from, from my post? :)

I didn't know that about New Vegas. Hopefully we are not going to be seeing such things. Hopefully devs can make it so that games on XSX will take full advantage Of the SSD, which should mean a huge improvement in loading times and naturally those will be worse on Xbox One S and X.

I'm gonna let someone who knows about this kind of stuff answer that, if possible.

But that's the thing, some concern is actual concern (i can't deny I'm still a little on that boat myself. The whole idea of a brand new system with games that are only playable on that, it's just something I've become used to. This time around it's a totally different approach.

and others are just trolling and/or don't care one bit about Xbox.

I read things like...we've had 7 years of Jaguar, it's been enough. And I get that. I get that the norm is to have next gen exclusives right away, games that won't be playable on the previous systems, but this is change and maybe this change will turn out well, if it does you won't hear me complaining. We will see.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm planning on dropping back down from PC to XSX. At this point my entire PC would need to be replaced for next-gen, and I really like how MS is making things so simple with Game Pass. I'm moving cities next month and am going through a minimalist phase... going back to console fits with that move. I also want to play some games with my old college buddies again.

Yeah, I'm currently a PC owner, and I actually feel the same way as you. Which is my point going back several posts. I feel that there will be a larger segment than anticipated, who own PCs but are still going to purchase the series x.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I mean it couldn't. Godfall isn't looking (which is what people actually care about) like that on anything but PS5/XSX/PC.

Well, of course. By that definition Forza Horizon 2 was "impossible" on Xbox 360 since it didn't look as good. But graphics is sort of trivial and has always been relatively easily scaled across devices. The argument that's more interesting is about design and gameplay.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Well, of course. By that definition Forza Horizon 2 was "impossible" on Xbox 360 since it didn't look as good. But graphics is sort of trivial and has always been relatively easily scaled across devices. The argument that's more interesting is about design and gameplay.

if reflections make or break a game then it might not be a very good game

https://wccftech.com/xbox-matt-boot...characters-like-lord-of-the-rings-and-marvel/

Now this is exciting to me. I'm not sure that's ever been a FOCUS for Xbox before.

XGS trying to become the next marvel :P

www.youtube.com

Xbox Game Studios Opening Cinematic

Welcome to Xbox Game Studios.Made up of 13 distinct game development studios responsible for some of the biggest game franchises in history like Age of Empir...

Status
Not open for further replies.