• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
GWG should retire with its subpar lineup month by month.
Imagine this E3

"Guys, with the hard heart I have to tell you... we retire Games with Gold program. But there is a good reason for that. A very good reason I have to say... we retire Gold requirement for online play as well!"

Would be a huge boost for Microsoft to do that.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There is no place for having multiplayer locked behind the Gold paywall for them anymore in future given they want people easily access games via Xbox Game Streaming with Game Pass. Gold is an artificial barrier for a wide audience to play games with streaming. Let's see what 2020 brings.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
GWG should retire with its subpar lineup month by month.
It probably will but it's not something we should wish for as long as we get GWG games for free just by subbing to PC+Xbox gamepass. This is the golden age of game subscriptions, don't complain, just enjoy it while it lasts, it won't stay this good forever. I'm prepaid until 2022, will get free games each month plus the Gamepass library for both PC and X and when XSX launch happens I'll get all MS published launch titles for free. It's insane.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
There is no place for having multiplayer locked behind the Gold paywall for them anymore in future given they want people easily access games via Xbox Game Streaming with Game Pass. Gold is an artificial barrier for a wide audience to play games with streaming. Let's see what 2020 brings.

It brings them so much money that i dont just see it going away.

F2P games could and shouldn't require it though

Iroshino

Jan 4, 2020
In Russia, Microsoft has very poor service. Players cannot buy subscriptions Xbox Game Pass or Xbox Live Gold from Xbox because they stopped selling subscriptions and we need to buy subscriptions at regular stores. Game prices at Xbox Live have been converted from local currency to American dollars. It seems that Microsoft is not interested in our country. At the same time, Nintendo and Sony sell subscriptions and games for the local currency in their stores and localize the games in Russian. I really hope that with the next generation of consoles, Microsoft will change its attitude towards my and other countries.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
So much this. But we'll see what future brings us in the matter. Maybe Game Pass sub will be the only one needed for online play or - which would be huge - there will be no paywall for Xbox Live.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
In Russia, Microsoft has very poor service. Players cannot buy subscriptions Xbox Game Pass or Xbox Live Gold from Xbox because they stopped selling subscriptions and we need to buy subscriptions at regular stores. Game prices at Xbox Live have been converted from local currency to American dollars. It seems that Microsoft is not interested in our country. At the same time, Nintendo and Sony sell subscriptions and games for the local currency in their stores and localize the games in Russian. I really hope that with the next generation of consoles, Microsoft will change its attitude towards my and other countries.
Ага, хрен там.

They won't, Microsoft had already shown that they're barely interested in Europe beyond Germany and France. Unless something radically changes, they're doomed in EU for yet another generation.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Ага, хрен там.

They won't, Microsoft had already shown that they're barely interested in Europe beyond Germany and France. Unless something radically changes, they're doomed in EU for yet another generation.
Not true at all. In Poland we have fully localized games, some ads (not as many as PlayStation, but still) and I can buy Xbox Live Gold prepaid cards at my local Tesco store.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
They make billions off of Xbox Live annually. While it's always going to be a barrier to entry, and fundamentally incongruous with their 'Play Anywhere' approach, there's simply no way they'll get rid of it as long as people are paying.

Jan 4, 2018
It brings them so much money that i dont just see it going away.

F2P games could and shouldn't require it though
I always say the same when someone asks for F2P games to have free online.
I'm obviously biased as I don't play F2P games, but I just don't see how that is fair.

I mean, for example, you get Fortnite and you pay 0, I get Overwatch, CoD... for 60

And you get to play for free while I have to get a subscription to play them on top of paying for the game while you spent 0?

We should be pushing for free online for all (wich until proven otherwise I think it's what will happen. They'll make online free and Gold will give you xcloud for your digital library outside of GP), not pushing so those who don't spend can have it all while those that pay have to pay more I think

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm obviously biased as I don't play F2P games, but I just don't see how that is fair.

I mean, for example, you get Fortnite and you pay 0, I get Overwatch, CoD... for 60

And you get to play for free while I have to get a subscription to play them on top of paying for the game while you spent 0?

We should be pushing for free online for all (wich until proven otherwise I think it's what will happen. They'll make online free and Gold will give you xcloud for your digital library outside of GP), not pushing so those who don't spend can have it all while those that pay have to pay more I think

From a consumer standpoint that would be awesome. But I just don't see it. That would be cannabalizing an entire revenue stream. More people need online then will want xCloud.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
Not true at all. In Poland we have fully localized games, some ads (not as many as PlayStation, but still) and I can buy Xbox Live Gold prepaid cards at my local Tesco store.

It's the same in Russia, to be honest. Except we can't buy Gold and GamePass through Microsoft online store and have to pay in dollars. And some of the games don't have physical releases in there, but that's mostly a personal complaint.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure they will end up rolling it into game pass at some point, but in order to give that value , you need to maintain the cost of gold, otherwise it's harder to create value.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think MS wants to remove Gold aswell. Problem is. Its atm making to much money to drop it. Gamepass subs arent even close to cover it if they drop it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think MS wants to remove Gold aswell. Problem is. Its atm making to much money to drop it. Gamepass subs arent even close to cover it if they drop it.

And gamepass will have a much lower margin at the moment. I'm sure they have a specific number of users in mind before it hits critical mass.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

Because playing online free for everyone isn't happening. So atleast let those people who wanna play F2P games, play them free. Sony lets so it just looks bad on Microsoft they aren't

Jan 4, 2018
Because playing online free for everyone isn't happening. So atleast let those people who wanna play F2P games, play them free. Sony lets so it just looks bad on Microsoft they aren't
Ok, I repeat, how is that fair for people that buys MP games?
I'm ok with me paying for the game, you not, but both paying to play online.
If you get to play for free on top of not paying anything for the game while I do I'd feel aggravated and it's strange to me that there's not more people complaining how they're taken advantage of in comparison to F2P players.
As I said, the fair treatment is everybody plays by the same rules. We all pay or no one does. (That could be also applied to Console MP vs PC/Mobile MP too), and that's what I think we should be all asking for

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's just a wishful thinking. Gold is free money for Microsoft + a literal paywall against some cheaters

What kind of cheating are we talking about here, because it's non-existent in Xbox One console games when it comes to actual hacks?

Only things I can think of are encountering Xbox 360 cheaters via BC, people using in-game exploits (which usually get patched pretty quickly depending on the severity) and network manipulation (standby'ing and kicking people offline). Anything else I'm missing?

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Ok, I repeat, how is that fair for people that buys MP games?
I'm ok with me paying for the game, you not, but both paying to play online.
If you get to play for free on top of not paying anything for the game while I do I'd feel aggravated and it's strange to me that there's not more people complaining how they're taken advantage of in comparison to F2P players.
As I said, the fair treatment is everybody plays by the same rules. We all pay or no one does. (That could be also applied to Console MP vs PC/Mobile MP too), and that's what I think we should be all asking for

You could say that Microsoft is getting paid via micro transactions, just like the game developer is.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
What kind of cheating are we talking about here, because it's non-existent in Xbox One console games when it comes to actual hacks?

Only things I can think of are encountering Xbox 360 cheaters via BC, people using in-game exploits (which usually get patched pretty quickly depending on the severity) and network manipulation (standby'ing and kicking people offline). Anything else I'm missing?

The first one usually, as One wasn't hacked yet, that's right. Third one is barely detectable, and second one is not on Microsoft to punish.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

4J Studios is the Swedish developer that has been working exclusively on Minecraft since releasing the Xbox 360 port in 2012.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Did we ever find out what this was? BS? Cancelled? E3 2020?

I hope it's true, even though the new Avatars are crap. I was just playing Motocross Madness (thanks to backwards compatibility) and that game is such a blast mutliplayer. The maps are HUGE with so much to explore and do tricks on. Add onto that you are doing all this with your personal Avatars.... it just makes it even more fun.

screenlg6-610x342.jpg

1vs.100 wouldn't have been nearly as cool without your Avatars.

Jan 4, 2018
You could say that Microsoft is getting paid via micro transactions, just like the game developer is.
Hmmm... ok? I mean yes, it could work for MS as it works for PS or they wouldn't do it.
But I don't really care much about if they can keep making money or not, the point of my comments were from a player point of view. It's me that would feel taken advatage of if I had to pay a game + subscription but someone else could pay nothing for the game nor need a subscription to play online (wich theoretically is the entire point of those subscriptions existing, the cost of servers etc..)
You can also argue that all games having free MP will get even more people playing online and thus potentially paying for mtx, as not only F2P games have them nowadays

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I feel you here. Sends out the wrong message about the brand in my opinion. How they go from "Xbox has no games" to "Xbox giving games off to other platforms".

Again. Just puts out the wrong message about the brand. Makes it look weak.
If it was a AAA first party game, then I'd might agree with you, but not a 2d platformer/metroidvania that had it's first game already ported to Switch.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair

4J Studios is the Swedish developer that has been working exclusively on Minecraft since releasing the Xbox 360 port in 2012.

Nice! They did excellent jobs with the HD ports of Kazooie, Tooie, and Perfect Dark on the 360. Well they were more than just port, too... completely redone textures, some new stuff added in such as a functional Stop n Swop, etc. Looking forward to whatever it is they're doing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.