• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
IMAGINE THIS.

2022. Xbox E3 Media Briefing. Mystery, dark trailer is coming up with some comics animations and deep voice introducing some plot of the game. Several second later… Looks like Crackdown. Fast and dynamics scenes. And yes! This is Crackdown 4! With Terry Crews again! Trailer lasts about 1.5 or 2 minutes. It shows very polished Crackdown game with fixed, repaired, upgraded and much better aspects from previous games made from the beginning by one studio, one team which takes huge care and accuracy to deliver very good game – better textures, better colors, better physics, no multiplayer, better customization, better destruction with building and environment as well, and more. But also trailer trolls with Crackdown 3's problems and Microsoft itself. Just to show that they have distance to themselves with that one.​

CRACKDOWN4.png

Then Terry Crews comes up on the stage. He shouts in his style some words about Crackdown 4 and finishes with announcement of release date which could sound like IT WILL COME AFTER 5 DELAYS, WITH TWO DELAYED DELAYS, ONE CANCELLED DELAYS, AFTER IT WILL BE READY AND THEY WILL BE READY TO RELEASE A READY GAME and the scenes comes up with – for example – FALL 202X and X means hidden number under… duck 🦆, as a symbol from Crackdown 3 and little trolling for the ending.​

That would be crazy and somehow beautiful 😁​
Also it could show some approach that Microsoft isn't scared to risk with another sequel and isn't ashamed of their franchise.​

I love it. Give me another Crackdown built with focus, no multiplayer or cloud distractions, improved gunplay/vehicles, and a huge amazing beautiful next-gen open world. Maybe even some of the dreaded "RPG elements." Sadly I fear Crackdown 3 performed so poorly they may not be willing to revisit the franchise for a long time, if ever.

...which is a shame, because I truly don't understand the criticism about "dated gameplay." I had no expectations, had never played a Crackdown game before, and just had a ton of fun with CD3. It's perfectly fine to have styles of games from all eras that we revisit simply because they're fun. I still enjoy Mario games. I still enjoy Forza and GT even though they've barely changed since like 2000 except for graphics. I just spent $60 on a 2D Zelda Game Boy game this year and loved it. Let Crackdown be Crackdown! Just make it huge and beautiful and over the top and exceedingly sharp to control and play.

My one hope is Game Pass and the fact that they don't need a game to make a big standalone profit by itself in order to justify its existence. And this post hit a nerve because I agree, it would be a HUGE show of confidence to turn around, poke a little fun at CD3, and say, "no, screw the haters, we're doing it right this time and you're gonna love it" :) Set your own narrative.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
MS must also globalize all of their franchises.

Seriously, what does that even mean? We used to hear from Europeans that Xbox wasn't a "global" brand or that Xbox "doesn't appeal" to Europe, but what, exactly, does that entail? After all, Europe showed up day one to buy PS3 with naught but an FPS, sports games, and a rally racer. Does "global" mean more sports and FPS games?

Apr 6, 2018
Yeah, I'd love something similar to Blades UI from Xbox 360.
please no
Give the studios the creative freedom to make what they want.

Except when we want them to make this or dont want them to make that. Again and again and again and

Here's hoping 2020 brings a few changes (to this thread), lol.
rotfl
Haylo is king and international.

Gears it's difficult, its gameplay begins to age, its animations the same.

Change is needed !!!
And again what kind of change?
First of all we have no other positive examples of succesful tps mp games, like uncharted mp is irrilevant and the division 2 bombed, fortnite maybe?
A problem is that the core audience found a perfect, for them, spot in gears 4 which has a stunning amount of content AFTER 3 years, designed esplicitely for a certain type of gameplay, gears 5 satisfied less those users because it is not 100% focused on that playstyle and offers more variety buffing the other weapons. Yet it's still too difficult for the average user, so maybe they should offer something less complex but I don't see how making it less difficult.
Given what that morgoth guy said, MS seems to be pleased with gears 5
They were flooded by the first weeks, I don't know what they think lately or if the store compensate the loss of a season pass

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, what does that even mean? We used to hear from Europeans that Xbox wasn't a "global" brand or that Xbox "doesn't appeal" to Europe, but what, exactly, does that entail? After all, Europe showed up day one to buy PS3 with naught but an FPS, sports games, and a rally racer. Does "global" mean more sports and FPS games?
The only real difference is Fifa seeks more than football and basketball in Europe. Cod, Fortnite etc all do great in Europe. What people really mean when they say this is the same argument we always get, MS should make single player conetmatic games just like Sony because I don't like multiplayer games

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda unfortunate it's not a given that we're getting a brand new one. One's dashboard was way different than 360s for example.
Because it was a new hardware architecture and the Xbox 360 UI Shell was build on a very old splintered Windows Core that was not longer actively developed. That's no longer the case, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for the XBO family and the Series X to not run the same shell on the latest Core OS version.

However, that doesn't mean that they can't plan to have some UI/UX updates that could coincide with the timing of Series X's release.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Global as in pay attention to markets other than the US and UK. Microsoft is a global company, utilize that expertise to appeal to different markets. I assumed the value box (Lockhart) was part of this renewed interest in being a global brand. Nothing is going to change if most of the world doesn't care about your product.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Global as in pay attention to markets other than the US and UK. Microsoft is a global company, utilize that expertise to appeal to different markets. I assumed the value box (Lockhart) was part of this renewed interest in being a global brand. Nothing is going to change if most of the world doesn't care about your product.

This.

Apr 6, 2018
The only real difference is Fifa seeks more than football and basketball in Europe. Cod, Fortnite etc all do great in Europe. What people really mean when they say this is the same argument we always get, MS should make single player conetmatic games just like Sony because I don't like multiplayer games
And msft had partnership with fifa and cod at the beginning of the generation
so you are asking for more marketing outside USA and UK? FIne, but why using that odd term "global"?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Because it was a new hardware architecture and the Xbox 360 UI Shell was build on a very old splintered Windows Core that was not longer actively developed. That's no longer the case, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for the XBO family and the Series X to not run the same shell on the latest Core OS version.

However, that doesn't mean that they can't plan to have some UI/UX updates that could coincide with the timing of Series X's release.

Ah yes, that makes sense. Ah well, dynamic themes would be a great start. Do we know if they're planning on adding that?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
so you are asking for more marketing outside USA and UK? FIne, but why using that odd term "global"?

It isn't just about marketing though. Global isn't an odd term. It means to appeal to the world. Be a worldwide brand I guess. To grow as a brand you've got to break into other markets. Sure a Japanese studio is great but I mean what about the rest of Asia? Do any of the big 3 give a crap about say India? Use your resources for global outreach, specifically in countries that aren't as connected as others. Be that company that cares. Take risks on localized studios and games. Like make a Ramayana game, that would go a long way with that market. Similar to Monkey king for China.

Aug 26, 2019
Folks, I think that Lockhart is a ripoff at $299 if it is only 4TF. If you do the math, it works out to $75/TF for Lockhart and $42/TF for the Series X (assuming $499).

—> Get the Series X.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Folks, I think that Lockhart is a ripoff at $299 if it is only 4TF.
More like a steal for Raytracing, RDNA GPU, an NVMe SSD, GDDR6 RAM and a Zen 2 CPU.

I seriously don't understand how hard it can be to understand it's aiming to play visually identical (or very similar) games just at 1080 - 1440p (or dynamic 4K, however they'll call it). You guys keep acting like Lockhart won't be a strong console. It'll literally share exact the same components like XSX, just with the most cost reduction done on the GPU for explained resolution reasons.

I can not see how having a value option is worse than having none at all.

Lockhart + Game Pass is a value killer combo.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
More like a steal for Raytracing, RDNA GPU, an NVMe SSD, GDDR6 RAM and a Zen 2 CPU.

I seriously don't understand how hard it can be to understand it's aiming to play visually identical (or very similar) games just at 1080 - 1440p (or dynamic 4K, however they'll call it).

I can not see how having a value option is worse than having none at all.

Lockhart + Game Pass is a value killer combo.
If you can afford the extra $200 then the Series X is a much better value. Even if you have to wait a bit to save up.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
If you can afford the extra $200 then the Series X is a much better value. Even if you have to wait a bit to save up.

LOL, then gamers could certainly afford the extra $100 over the PS5 for a more powerful machine too. Choice is awesome across the board, and not everyone wants the same things for various reasons.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sure. But $200 difference is a ton of money, especially for the average FIFA/Call of Duty/whatever player. Even more so if you don't even need an XSX because you only have a Full HD TV or monitor.

It's about offering options. Next-gen gaming starting at $299 would be a steal. Even more so if the competition doesn't offer a comparable option.

If it's not for you, they have the most powerful alternative waiting for you as well and you can just ignore the value option.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its is abit weird to do these comparisons. You can easy go weird then also. If you have Lockhart you dont need a 4k TV so you save money with a 1080p tv.
Series X will use more power so you "lose" money there also compared to Series S on you electricity bill

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany

200 more is lot of money for many people if not for the most people. Cheaper hardware will always sell better.

It is like a PC gamer that picks a mid range gpu instead of high end. Can't have the resolution of high end cards but is able to play the game decently.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
$830...that's insane. How does the Xbox All
Access financing program work for you?

Not in Canada from what I can see. The big value is actually in games. While Steam and other PC services often have games 15-20% off before or close after launch gamesharing in my household is a massive saving.

A full price game costs me $91 taxes in. If my wife and I want to play a game together we either buy two copies ($182!!!!) or gameshare on Xbox or PS. One game in that situation pays for Xbox Live and we probably have close to a game a month in that situation.

Of course since we are both gamers we generally buy two consoles day one. We did ASAP in 2013 but couldn't afford to right away. By 2017 we were better off and bought two Xbox One X consoles day one. So Series X day one would cost us $1500 without any games.

It's something I think is often forgotten in discussions about a global brand. That brand has to appeal to the relative situations of a lot of people. Microsoft doesn't have nearly as much to balance with Xbox and I do think it's a factor in their pricing.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft as a whole has issues paying attention to other markets. Doubt Xbox will change anytime soon.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Then they would have to pay an extra $120 for two measly launch games. When they could pay the extra $100, get the stronger system, and get Halo Infinite + any other launch game effectively "free."
You can get "Halo Infinite + any other launch game effectively free." with Lockhart as well.

You assume people automatically have $499 available to play a next-gen console and that's simply not the case for ... A lot of people.

Aug 26, 2019
Not in Canada from what I can see. The big value is actually in games. While Steam and other PC services often have games 15-20% off before or close after launch gamesharing in my household is a massive saving.

A full price game costs me $91 taxes in. If my wife and I want to play a game together we either buy two copies ($182!!!!) or gameshare on Xbox or PS. One game in that situation pays for Xbox Live and we probably have close to a game a month in that situation.

Of course since we are both gamers we generally buy two consoles day one. We did ASAP in 2013 but couldn't afford to right away. By 2017 we were better off and bought two Xbox One X consoles day one. So Series X day one would cost us $1500 without any games.

It's something I think is often forgotten in discussions about a global brand. That brand has to appeal to the relative situations of a lot of people. Microsoft doesn't have nearly as much to balance with Xbox and I do think it's a factor in their pricing.
Alright, I change my mind. Klobrille you're correct.

Damn man, that really sucks.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

Mike is really starting to lose me as a previous "fan" of him. I always assumed that part of why he may have left was some disagreements at a certain level which is not uncommon in any large organization that you have been at for 20+ years, but this type of stupid social media posting is childish at best and doesn't reflect well on someone who is currently serving in a very high profile role at a company such as Blizzard.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
We will have our answer to E32020 of the ambition of xbox in video games but I trust Phil and Xbox team.

#TeamPhil

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Mike is really starting to lose me as a previous "fan" of him. I always assumed that part of why he may have left was some disagreements at a certain level which is not uncommon in any large organization that you have been at for 20+ years, but this type of stupid social media posting is childish at best and doesn't reflect well on someone who is currently serving in a very high profile role at a company such as Blizzard.

I remember Jez cordon talking about his departure at the time and said that with Phil in charge there was really nowhere to for him to progress within Xbox, so that probably why he left.

I wonder if he thought he was in line to take Phil's job at some point and discovered that he wasn't (I asumme that Matt Booty will take over when Phil eventually does leave).

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I remember Jez cordon talking about his departure at the time and said that with Phil in charge there was really nowhere to for him to progress within Xbox, so that probably why he left.

I wonder if he thought he was in line to take Phil's job at some point and discovered that he wasn't (I asumme that Matt Booty will take over when Phil eventually does leave).

It's true that he went from dealing with the publishing team to managing the xbox game pass, Xbox live gold etc ...

In any case, the team that runs the Xbox Game Studios now inspires me with confidence.

Peter wyse the one who takes care of the publishing team a lot doesn't know him but he was the general manager studio head of WBGAMES studios

Last edited:

irrational

Nov 15, 2019

I wonder if he thought he was in line to take Phil's job at some point and discovered that he wasn't (I assume that Matt Booty will take over when Phil eventually does leave).

Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense. Things like that happen more often than people realize at these large companies. Looks like he found an awesome new role at Blizzard tho, so best of luck to him.

Although, I find it a little puzzling when people start to engage in these types of conversations with the Twitter trolls. You never know who you might have to cross again in the industry. Seems like it isn't worth airing out your grievances in public. Not saying that he's said anything particularly disparaging about MS yet, but it's a slippery slope.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
What are you doing? As an EVP in Blizzard you should know better than to post that sort of stuff on Twitter.

I do love it, though. I love when people try to burn bridges on public social media. :)

Are you a developer? I always wanted to know what is most important to make a game visually successful.

It is thanks to:

Lead environment artist?

Tech director?

Graphics engineer?

Or is it just a question of budget?

In addition you work at Dice so the question should be even easier ^^

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer no longer follows Mike Ybarra on Twitter 👀

🤔

Interesting. Maybe Mike meant it in a different way, or maybe he was throwing shade at Phil.

Idk. Seems like once Satya gave Phil a budget Phil made some good moves.

Maybe Mike (rightfully) disagreed with previous decisions Phil made, maybe as someone suggested he wanted the job and is salty lol. Shame we'll never know.
I always though Spencer was joking when he said he didn't get on with Ybarra during those Mixer charity gaming sessions. Seems he wasn't!

Damn, he actually said that lol?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
FF7 Remake is releasing on PS4 next year, what are the chances we'll get it on Xbox the same year I wonder? It at least doesn't seem to be a full on exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.