• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then you're limiting yourself to not seeing the larger argument. Days Gone is a better premium experience to the AAA singleplayer gamer than State of Decay 2 despite SoD2 being the better game.

As a single player AAA gamer (primarily), I 100% agree. Days Gone was miles more enjoyable than State of Decay 2. Though I don't agree that State of Decay 2 is a better game.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I was always in the last place at the end of almost every Gears 5 match, then i go back to Gears 4 and i get what i fucking deserve 👊👊🙏🙄😍

Gears-of-War-4-30-12-2019-01-48-33-p-m.png

I don't know what they did to Gears 5 gunplay but i cant get a fucking shot right, glad Gears 4 still exists

It's a brand new gun recoil system that they made for Gears 5. The best thing to describe it is like the gun recoil in Counter-Strike where each gun has a different recoil pattern. There's a learning curve to it but once you finally get the mechanics, shooting with the Claw and the (retro) lancer feels absolutely glorious.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Then you're limiting yourself to not seeing the larger argument. Days Gone is a better premium experience to the AAA singleplayer gamer than State of Decay 2 despite SoD2 being the better game.
Lol, SOD2 is not a good example of "premium" experience in the AA side, the game was broken when It launched AND its a Sims kind of game, not an over the shoulder cinematic game, so, again, not a good comparison.
Dont try It again.
END OF THE LINE.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, SOD2 is not a good example of "premium" experience in the AA side, the game was broken when It launched AND its a Sims kind of game, so, again, not a good comparison.
Dont try It again.
END OF THE LINE.
I never said State of Decay 2 was a "premium" experience, only that the quality of the game itself was better than Days Gone, yet Days Gone provided the "premium" experience with higher production values a large market of AAA singleplayer games want. Is there any point continuing conversing with you, as you keep missing mine.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, nah. I cant endorse this post.

The only reason Im saying this is because hardware sales wont be the end of the discussion as far as a "win" goes. In fact, Id almost say itll take second or third place next generation with cloud gaming and GP services taking front and center next gen. If we were still talking about 2013, you'd have a point. But this is a new ball game.

You might have misread my post, because you're saying the same things I am: total hardware sales vs the competition does not define winning.

Microsoft will have internally developed hardware and software sales projections.... meeting and exceeding them is "winning".

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
In the next gen OT, there has already that speculation around.
I have followed the next gen threads closely for ages and I have followed this thread and the discord for ages. What you have said is something that is incorrect information unless you can find me some links. I don't usually push back this hard but I'm fairly certain on this and want to be corrected for my own understanding of the situation if you have info that I have missed or misremembered.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol, SOD2 is not a good example of "premium" experience in the AA side, the game was broken when It launched AND its a Sims kind of game, not an over the shoulder cinematic game, so, again, not a good comparison.
Dont try It again.
END OF THE LINE.

I don't know that I would use the word "premium" to describe Days Gone, but it definitely does scratch the AAA single player story-driven game itch. It could have been better for sure, but has excellent graphics, a good story, big world to explore, great voice acting, decent writing. There is a big audience for that sort of experience. Of course I would have preferred higher quality, yet I did really enjoy myself. Solid 7.5/10.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
No offense to Mike who did great work at Xbox when there it seems, but I honestly could really care less what he says at this point. Watch this cool 2020 hype video from the good folks at 'Xbox On' to realize the great things coming just next year for Xbox fans, and yes it includes some games that I am excited about there that aren't massive 'AAA' games either :)

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
I don't know that I would use the word "premium" to describe Days Gone, but it definitely does scratch the AAA single player story-driven game itch. It could have been better for sure, but has excellent graphics, a good story, big world to explore, great voice acting, decent writing. There is a big audience for that sort of experience. Of course I would have preferred higher quality, yet I did really enjoy myself. Solid 7.5/10.
It doesn't need to be a good or a unique game, it just need to feel like a premium experience.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
'AAA gamers' gravitating to mediocre AAA titles rather than seeking better non-AAA gameplay experiences is everything that is wrong with this pesky 'AAA' obsession and culture that seems to permeate console gaming so strongly (still a bit jarring to me as a PC gamer). The reverence in which the 'AAA' term is held is baffling to me, as I've seen little to suggest that budget is directly proportional to quality, but whatever - it's all subjective anyway... so it's a pointless argument, and one I feel a little dirty for wading into!

Having said all of that, bring on the tent-pole XGS AAA titles so that 'smaller' titles may flourish in a stronger ecosystem, I suppose.

Jan 20, 2019
I have followed the next gen threads closely for ages and I have followed this thread and the discord for ages. What you have said is something that is incorrect information unless you can find me some links. I don't usually push back this hard but I'm fairly certain on this and want to be corrected for my own understanding of the situation if you have info that I have missed or misremembered.

Im not gonna dig on the OT, there is to many pages, but yes, you are misremembered.

And if you follow this thread close, you whould also see that the studios miation there were being speculated heavly were.

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I like a AA game, but i dont like It being AA, so i pick one of the most broken AAA games of the year saying that the "premium" experience in this AAA was better, BUT i still consider the AA game a better game, BUT i still want more "premium AAA experiences"

Am i making sense? Someone throw a brick to my head if im not, please.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Using State of Decay as an example, I think State of Decay 3 is going to have a much bigger budget and higher production values and polish that will make the game appeal to even a wider audience and satisfy to an extent AAA singleplayer fans.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
What I want from Microsoft next gen is new games and great experiences. I couldn't care less about it being AAA or AA. Also honestly, the thought of Microsoft buying devs like Playground, Obsidian, Ninja Theory and etc. to develop AA titles or that they have to prove anything is quite absurd.

Microsoft lacked backing, vision and direction, and that seems to have changed with Spencer, Nadella and Booty, and the future is looking good.

As a single player AAA gamer (primarily), I 100% agree. Days Gone was miles more enjoyable than State of Decay 2. Though I don't agree that State of Decay 2 is a better game.

Heh, colour me surprised...

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
No offense to Mike who did great work at Xbox when there it seems, but I honestly could really care less what he says at this point. Watch this cool 2020 hype video from the good folks at 'Xbox On' to realize the great things coming just next year for Xbox fans, and yes it includes some games that I am excited about there that aren't massive 'AAA' games either :)

nice. looking forward to watching this.

Oct 25, 2017
'AAA gamers' gravitating to mediocre AAA titles rather than seeking better non-AAA gameplay experiences is everything that is wrong with this pesky 'AAA' obsession and culture that seems to permeate console gaming so strongly (still a bit jarring to me as a PC gamer). The reverence in which the 'AAA' term is held is baffling to me, as I've seen little to suggest that budget is directly proportional to quality, but whatever - it's all subjective anyway... so it's a pointless argument, and one I feel a little dirty for wading into!

Having said all of that, bring on the tent-pole XGS AAA titles so that 'smaller' titles may flourish in a stronger ecosystem, I suppose.

These are basically my feelings around all of this.

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

Yup, pretty much my thoughts

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I want from Microsoft next gen is new games and great experiences. I couldn't care less about it being AAA or AA. Also honestly, the thought of Microsoft buying devs like Playground, Obsidian, Ninja Theory and etc. to develop AA titles or that they have to prove anything is quite absurd.

Microsoft lacked backing, vision and direction, and that seems to have changed with Spencer, Nadella and Booty, and the future is looking good..
As a poster on here once said, what's the point in having the most powerful system if your first party isn't building games showcasing it?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't need to be a good or a unique game, it just need to feel like a premium experience.

You're entitled to the opinion that Days Gone is not a good game, but I very clearly said I feel it is good in my post. Of course it needs to be. Not every game needs to be unique - that is true. That said, I can't think of many games focused on bikers in an open world filled with zombies and a meaty AAA story.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Future is 🔥

XGS = Home of RPG

Probably what excites me the most. The team's they have now are literally all in my favourite genres ie RPG and Strategy. Cannot wait to see them grow and deliver these games.

Who'd have thought back in 2013 that Xbox would become an RPG power house.

Xbox Series S has to be like a modern gamecube, i dont see it appealing to consumers if it isn't like a cube, sorry Phil.

Amen to that, if they make a boring ass flat console I'm going to be a little disappointed. A mini cube would synergize well with the Series X design.

Do it MS.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If we end up with a situation where the PS5 ends up sandwiched in between the Series X and Lockhart in terms of both power and price I'm extremely curious to see how things end up. I feel like a situation like that would heavily work to Microsoft's advantage but we'll see, being the most appealing option to both the enthusiasts and the casual crowd in terms of power/price would definitely be an incredible position to be in I'd imagine.
When this was the rumored plan at the beginning of the year, I always thought the opposite of your thinking, personally. I think if PS5 comes in at the $400 price, it will dominate. The Playstation brand is incredibly strong and if there is a middle ground to take with the perceived advantage in the games catalog, that is incredibly compelling. Especially coupled with full PS4 BC. If the PS5 and XSX are both $500 and the Lockhart is $300, then we have something interesting. Especially if XSX has a noticeable power advantage.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lots of people like big realistic worlds to be immersed in (premium graphics), filled with high quality voice acting and stories. I really don't think that is surprising at all. That said, smaller games should not be ignored either.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
As a poster on here once said, what's the point in having the most powerful system if your first party isn't building games showcasing it?

Phil literally just revealed the Xbox Series X with a jaw dropping Hellblade 2 trailer from Ninja Theory that exceeded my own and many others' expectations for next generation fidelity, so I think that they understand this too.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Sony AAA Studio :

-Naughty Dog - Action/Adventure
-Santa Monica - Action/Adventure
-Guerrilla - Action RPG
-Insomniac Games - Action/Adventure
-Sucker Puch production Action/Adventure
-Bend Studio Action/Adventure
-New San Diego studio - ?
-Polyphoni Digital

Sony VR Studios :

-Japan Studio
-London studio
-Manchester studio

Sony AA+ Studio :

-Japan studios

Sony "Indies like" studio

-Média molécule
-Pixel Opus

—————-

XBOX AAA Studio :

-343 Industrie - FPS
-The initiative - Action/Adventure
-Playground Games - Action RPG
-Obsidian Entertainment - Action RPG
-Ninja Theory - Action/Adventure
-The Coalition - Action/Adventure
-Rare - Action/Adventure Sandbox
-Undead Labs (confirmed by Matt Booty AAA) - Action/Adventure
-Turn10 studio

XBOX AA+ studios :

-InXile Entertainment
-Compulsion Games
-Double Fine Production

I don't know why people said MS don't go "AAA"

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Doesn't sound like he's saying anything wrong or yikes worthy?

why we didn't see AAA games (aside frim the big three) when he's there??? And now he want it!?

why he act like he didn't take a part of The stupid situation in which they put themselves in this Gen?

Last edited:

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony AAA Studio :

-Guerrilla - Action RPG
-Polyphoni Digital

Sony VR Studios :

-Japan Studio
-London studio
-Manchester studio

Sony AA+ Studio :

-Japan studios

-Média molécule
-Pixel Opus

—————-

XBOX AAA Studio :

-343 Industrie - FPS
-Turn10 studio

XBOX AA+ studios :

-InXile Entertainment
-Compulsion Games
-Double Fine Production

Xbox's acquisitions were so critical. Huge props to Microsoft. Obsidian, Playground, The Coalition, and Ninja Theory have me stoked about their future as a single player AAA game publisher.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Didn't Mike always talk fondly of MS on social media even after he left them? I don't really get what he's doing now. MS is making all the right moves now and yet we have him kinda bringing doubt on it

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil literally just revealed the Xbox Series X with a jaw dropping Hellblade 2 trailer from Ninja Theory that exceeded my own and many others' expectations for next generation fidelity, so I think that they understand this too.
Oh I know MS understands this, they've commented in the past on Sony's success with their AAA singleplayer games and I do believe their huge investment in first party was partly to address it.. It's only some people in here refuse to understand it. LOL :-p

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Mike always talk fondly of MS on social media even after he left them? I don't really get what he's doing now. MS is making all the right moves now and yet we have him kinda bringing doubt on it

I don't think that we have to make his comments too dramatic or anything. It is a combination of some definite truth there that for Xbox to "take" some PlayStation owners with their current install base likely requires some big AAA games coming too (although I think that he may be underestimating Game Pass impact going into next gen launch too), likely there was some different opinions on certain things that may have made it easier for a guy who was somewhere for that long to take a solid opportunity like he did with Blizzard and just generally running his mouth a little much like he has always tended to do on lots of things :)

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Sony AAA Studio :

-Guerrilla - Action RPG
-Polyphoni Digital

Sony VR Studios :

-Japan Studio
-London studio
-Manchester studio

Sony AA+ Studio :

-Japan studios

-Média molécule
-Pixel Opus

—————-

XBOX AAA Studio :

-343 Industrie - FPS
-Turn10 studio

XBOX AA+ studios :

-InXile Entertainment
-Compulsion Games
-Double Fine Production

Because for this people AAA is over the shoulder camera and... pfffff.... Premium graphics.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Still warms my heart that we're finally going to see the Yakuza franchise on Xbox.
What's even better is how inviting the Yakuza community was to this announcement :D

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
why we didn't see AAA games (aside frim the big three) when he's there??? And now he want it!?

💀

I had a lot of respect for mike, he had the same vision as Phil.

But he speaks as if he were not concerned.

when he was in charge of the publishing team, he was responsible for Gears Judgment and Ryse. 2 big flops.

Matt Booty inspires me a lot more confidence because he brought back Peter Wyse who was head of WBGAMES studios for 10 years and now he takes care of the publishing team.

Matt Booty does everything in his power to keep the studios creative and to ensure that he does quality work with Xbox Game Studios - Quality Groups and a business development group that takes care of supporting all the xbox game studios.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because for this people AAA is over the shoulder camera and... pfffff.... Premium graphics.

While a very select few might actually believe what you suggested, I think most people are really just taking a wait and see approach. Microsoft's first party offering has not been good this gen, so people are skeptical until the AAA single player experiences start arriving and delivering.

I fall into that wait and see camp somewhat, but have faith based on Obsidian and Ninja Theory's track records, and the immense talent at The Initiative and Playground. I do believe that once the highly rated single player games start releasing, the narrative will shift. It does happen. Look at last gen - people praised the Xbox 360 and hated the PS3 for the first half of the gen. Then the games changed that, especially this gen.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
You might have misread my post, because you're saying the same things I am: total hardware sales vs the competition does not define winning.

Microsoft will have internally developed hardware and software sales projections.... meeting and exceeding them is "winning".
You're right. My bad brother. Same, same..

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

why he act like he didn't take a part of The stupid situation in which they put themselves in this Gen?

I would imagine the Xbox team was limited in their budget and vision at the beginning of this gen.

I don't think Ybarra is shifting blame or anything, he just hopes Xbox has more AAA games in the future.
Oh my gosh, this is SO GOOD by Cory :)

Lol, that dude he quoted was the one who cried when the Show announced they were going multiplatform and got banned from era.

Apr 6, 2018
it'll be hard to make a Gears game where things aren't pressing and saving the world isn't absolutely necessary. It may absolutely throw off pacing. But it would ABSOLUTELY ROCK if they could make it an RPG or at least fully open word. With side quests and everything. And not removing the main critical path.

but what they did in Gears 5 was annoying, not enough. Didnothing for me
AFAIK they took inspiration from rpg and ow, but don't want to use those philosophies in gears until they radically change them like jack. Jack is what they want to reach ineach department
I'm fairly certain Activision knew that they were gambling on whether having to babysit Bungie would be a worthy investment versus the potential for Destiny sales, and Destiny dominated the zeitgeist for a little over a year, but it dropped hard before tapering off. Great word-of-mouth out the gate and for a time, but not much potential in the long run as lifestyle/GaaS software. Activision definitely lost that bet in the long-term.
Activision push destiny even with its own internal software houses, desitny 2 had a rough year without the activision manpower
Can we talk about Series X controller?

We don't have the full details but from what was shown, they only added a capture button and made it smaller?

I'm a bit disappointed. MS always pushed controller technology so i was expecting the same level of attention they made to the console here. Of course, there is always the Elite 3 but that's still an optional accessory.

That next gen thread is pathetic. People really need to chill over this kind of stuff. Jesus christ.
No thanks, I enjoy this moment of panic once theyspent the summer believing the 13 tflops thing
Fable Reboot will be more realistic than Fable Legends I think.

I think in fable 4 environment will strongly resemble his. Even the characters will be more realistic.

I wont mind the charm of legends style, the picture posted on artstation founded by klob captured perfectly what I would want from a fable game
I was always in the last place at the end of almost every Gears 5 match, then i go back to Gears 4 and i get what i fucking deserve 👊👊🙏🙄😍

Gears-of-War-4-30-12-2019-01-48-33-p-m.png

I don't know what they did to Gears 5 gunplay but i cant get a fucking shot right, glad Gears 4 still exists
Gears 4 used bloom, 5 has fixed recoil patterns, once you masters the lancers it becomes way better and consistent, plus the new maps are designed with a more open and vertical approach to encourage players to use other weapons.

A lot of players loved the old gears 4 maps because they fit a more pure gears style, it's the sublimation of the gears 1 pvp with well balanced maps designed precisely to be a gnasher fest, In the end I'm fond of both since they are diverse enough and the stopped the over the top causal design made by epic since 2 tha ended with judgement.
Righ now my classific of gears pvp is
1) 1/UE
2)4
3)5
4)3
5)Judgement
6)2
Alongside. The other project is already in dev for quite some time.
so obisidian right now has
-porting pillars of eternity 2 on console
-the outer wolrds dlc
-grounded.
-chris parker game
- anything else?

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
What's even better is how inviting the Yakuza community was to this announcement :D

Yeah, they want as many people to play their game as possible; they know they historical position they're franchise has been in.

That said, bring on the narrative AA experiences! If all I need to do is hold left stick forward and tap Y for meaning, why not do it with a fraction of the budget? But seriously, the AA space has been the most exciting in the last couple of years, and smaller publishers are really reaping the benefits of this. Plague Tale, Disco Elysium, and Outer Wilds were fierce GOTY contenders this year, and the best AAA games of this year, Sekiro, RE2, and DMCV, brought very little new to the table but were still great experiences. A large number of people love their prestige narrative games, but in a few years, the AAA space might not be where those games thrive is all I'm saying.

No thanks, I enjoy this moment of panic once theyspent the summer believing the 13 tflops thing

I'd love a 13 TF PS5 tbh. Thirsty Sony would be great for the brand, and even better to push Microsoft. I don't think they would though; Sony doesn't play loss leader with their box and the cost on a 13TF machine would make heads spin.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Nobody in this thread realizes that in the short time Mike Ybarra has been gone the leaks have suddenly stopped?

Not necessarily connected. IIRC they started an internal initiative a couple of years ago to hunt down any channels that may be leaking info, intentionally or accidentally. Seems to be somewhat working so far.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
All this "Premium" talk.... What people are trying to say, is that XGS games need to have a standard level of high production values and polish. HPV (high production values) are not unique/limited to AAA games, of course HPV are associated with AAA games for obvious budgetary reasons. AAA or AA shouldn't matter as long as XGS as a whole delivers a standard level of HPV and polish, all that should matter is if the game is good/unique. Best example of this is Nintendo, from their bigger releases to their smaller releases all of them have HPV and polish. That's one of the reasons why they are able to get away with their pricing, it's also why you don't see people breaking down the budget differences between BOTW and Luigi's Mansion. I think MS clearly understands that, if you look at the "AA+" games they are releasing Bleeding edge, Ori, Tell Me Why, Grounded (the gameplay actually looks great graphically by the way) etc you would see that. Of course why this conversation is coming up when XGS is clearly weighted heavily towards AAA rather than AA is confusing, ideally I think MS should grab a few more AA studios to balance it out more tbh (Also 1 more AAA studio.)

Last edited:

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
IIRC wasn't Lionhead working on a pretty sweet global illumination system for Fable Legends? Wonder if Playground got the tech for that

Considering tech sharing (especially for UE4) was definitely a thing back in 2016 for in-house studios, I wouldn't be surprised if Sea of Thieves had that tech implemented (or at least to a certain extent). Same thing with the water tech that Rare had been working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.