• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Yep, I remember that. PD really is the only IP I could think of that would make sense and be comparable to the TR reboot. Likely PD or a new IP. Either way I'm pretty excited
Yeah same I'm eager to see what they've been up to. Also, given TC have been talking to TI makes me think their game is third person (not a foregone conclusion tho). But if that's the case, I like Xbox's approach to taking on a genre/type of game their direct competitor excels at. The approach being building a studio from scratch and hiring the most top tier talent in the industry who have experience making those types of games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, neither you or I am in a position to know that, but Sega certainly thinks so, and I can surmise why.
I'm just highly skeptical a successful series like Persona would make less money being ported to Switch, PC, and Xbox. Localization has already been done and paid for on PS3/PS4 and the porting process is much easier due to similar architecture with PC, and Xbox. Sure, smaller brands or niche games I can see them making less money overall going multi platform but not games with bigger brand names and critical and commercial success as well. Xbox also has gotten more incentives with Game Pass/xCloud that could help subsidize the porting costs.

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017
I take it as direct payment to third parties in advance for the purpose of exclusivity (total or conditional). Many of these other programs aren't set up that way.
A console maker giving a third party publisher other financial contributions, such as taking less of a cut, giving higher status on store fronts etc for the purpose of exclusivity is still a money hat. Money changed hands to get something.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm just highly skeptical a successful series like Persona would make less money being ported to Switch, PC, and Xbox. Localization has already been done and paid for on PS3/PS4 and the porting process is much easier due to similar architecture with PC, and Xbox. Sure, smaller brands or niche games I can see them making less money overall going multi platform but not games with bigger brand names and critical and commercial success as well. Xbox also has gotten more incentives with Game Pass/xCloud that could help subsidize the porting costs.
For the sake of argument, hey, maybe if Persona is only released on PlayStation, then Sega's cut of the sales for every single copy is a fair amount higher.

That one change alone could produce a massive windfall. So combine that with saving the costs of porting, marketing incentives, prime spots in Sony's communications, etc. For a series like Persona, which will sell a lot of it's total copies in Japan, and whose international fanbase is pretty closely collated with PlayStation, like the math could very easily work out in favor of exclusivity.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Almost every single game is an exclusive?
No, but almost every game has exclusive content, exclusive ad deals, exclusive bundle deals, exclusive placement deals, exclusive preorder deals, special financing deals, special rates, etc.

If we call any kind of financial incentives money hats, then Sony and MS are often money hating the same games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the sake of argument, hey, maybe if Persona is only released on PlayStation, then Sega's cut of the sales for every single copy is a fair amount higher.

That one change alone could produce a massive windfall. So combine that with saving the costs of porting, marketing incentives, prime spots in Sony's communications, etc. For a series like Persona, which will sell a lot of it's total copies in Japan, and whose international fanbase is pretty closely collated with PlayStation, like the math could very easily work out in favor of exclusivity.
If Sony is giving Sega extra incentive in keeping the franchise exclusive to their platform then it makes sense. If not, then Sega is limiting the growth of the brand and fanbase and not maximizing the amount of revenue each game could generate. Didn't Sega say recently during a quarters report about them taking a more multiplatform approach in the future?

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017
No, but almost every game has exclusive content, exclusive ad deals, exclusive bundle deals, exclusive placement deals, exclusive preorder deals, special financing deals, special rates, etc.

If we call any kind of financial incentives money hats, then Sony and MS are often money hating the same games.
Any kind of financial incentive a console maker gives a publisher to a keep a game off of other services forever or a limited time is a money hat.

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
If Sony is giving Sega extra incentive in keeping the franchise exclusive to their platform then it makes sense. If not, then Sega is limiting the growth of the brand and fanbase and not maximizing the amount of revenue each game could generate. Didn't Sega say recently during a quarters report about them taking a more multiplatform approach in the future?
don't believe them , square said the same and they still make Exclusives and didn't port alot of their games

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
My interpretation of the tweet with The Coalition and The Initiative is that it was more of a technical interchange. I believe it made it sound like a first of many with XGS studios but can't find the original tweet. Don't think we should be reading too much into it.

I think this is noteworthy.

They are probably relying heavily on outside resources.

Last edited:

BackToKitchen10

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 14, 2019
but i want to see fable before ):

I mentioned this in the Playstation thread. Right now Xbox has Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2, Everwild, Playgrounds RPG and the Initiative game

Once thing I noticed about Sony this gen is that they blew their load at E3 2016 and their E3 2017 and 2018 were lacklusters, the hype for the games and the announcements starting dying down.

I don't know how I feel about XGS blowing their load at E3 2020 but at the same time, maybe Sony E3 2016 is one of the reasons why they were able to sell 100 million.

Of course, with Xbox going all in on Game Pass they're going to always have to have consistent content, new game announcements etc.

I think at E3, they can hold off Everwild and Hellblade 2, and show Halo Infinite, Playgrounds Game and the Initatives game and then same some stuff for GamesCom, XO20, E3 2021 etc.

BackToKitchen10

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 14, 2019
Speaking of Coalition and Initiative...for Gods sake Rod make a new game and give Gears a 5 year break, the Halo Infinite treatment. You have enough people to work on 2 games at once and I don't doubt that Phil and Matt will support anything you want to do.

It doesn't even have to be a new IP. Coalition Perfect Dark announcement would make me cream myself.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Coalition and Initiative...for Gods sake Rod make a new game and give Gears a 5 year break, the Halo Infinite treatment. You have enough people to work on 2 games at once and I don't doubt that Phil and Matt will support anything you want to do.

It doesn't even have to be a new IP. Coalition Perfect Dark announcement would make me cream myself.
Gears needs to finish out it's 2nd trilogy with one more game. Might as well get it out the way.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I would love a horror Gears game. Have you play as a civilian during an evacuation of a settlement or something like that. Sporadic ammo. Mainly deal with Rejects, Juvies and Imagos. With the occasional Scion encounter.

though even the civilians in Gears are jacked af so I dunno 😂

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
My perfect PD reboot would be a First Person RPG Sim, just like Deus Ex and Dishonored, set in a Open World environment where your decisions change the world. Stuff like, when you receive a mission you can choose how you go: guns blazing, stealth or you don't even need to go there, just hack it remotely.

Perfect Dark was always about giving players the tools to play however they want it to play, and that wouldn't be possible as an Action Adventure TPS

Jul 17, 2018
My perfect PD reboot would be a First Person RPG Sim, just like Deus Ex and Dishonored, set in a Open World environment where your decisions change the world. Stuff like, when you receive a mission you can choose how you go: guns blazing, stealth or you don't even need to go there, just hack it remotely. Perfect Dark was always avout
This is actually a pretty dope idea. But I'd rather third person.

Jul 17, 2018

Yea Gears needs a damn break and they need to work on a new IP...

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a horror Gears game. Have you play as a civilian during an evacuation of a settlement or something like that. Sporadic ammo. Mainly deal with Rejects, Juvies and Imagos. With the occasional Scion encounter.

though even the civilians in Gears are jacked af so I dunno 😂
Would love a more survival horror-esque reboot of the series. I think that's where it works best, like certain parts of the first game.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
Gears needs to finish out it's 2nd trilogy with one more game. Might as well get it out the way.
That seems logical but they've released 2 gears games in what(?) 3 years? It wouldn't hurt to let it breathe until mid gen. Truthfully I don't even want that, I just want to know who is making PD officially on the record. It does seem like a project that MS would want to keep in-house.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
With Gears Tactics in the works, anyone else really want Halo Tactics now?

I think a 3rd Person, Shooter/RPG hybrid of Halo could be very cool. Division style.

I'm looking forward to the Yakuza and Kingdom Heart games in 2020.

Personally cannot wait to play the Yakuza games. Finally.

I am loving the writing so far in The Outer Worlds. The dialogue is just super sharp. The first big budget Obsidian RPG exclusive should be a huge hit for Xbox, and has the potential to be a GOTY contender.

I'm super interested in what Obsidian have planned for Pillars as a series. It's easily one of the best made RPG worlds they've done, but I wonder if they would take it to a full on AAA landscape (3D/Open World), or keep it in the isometric viewpoint and create another franchise entirely for their next big outing.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
I'm super interested in what Obsidian have planned for Pillars as a series. It's easily one of the best made RPG worlds they've done, but I wonder if they would take it to a full on AAA landscape (3D/Open World), or keep it in the isometric viewpoint and create another franchise entirely for their next big outing.
Josh Sawyer said he doesnt want to make a pillars 3 in the same style as the first two until he knows why the second one sold poorly

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Josh Sawyer said he doesnt want to make a pillars 3 in the same style as the first two until he knows why the second one sold poorly

I hope that it'll have Outer Worlds mechanics, and Sawyer\Parker as directors. Lore in Pillars, in two games is as rich in TES.

And guys, make it harder than OW.

P. P. S. But my dream game would be inXile/Obsidian collaboration on Wasteland: Vegas with Fargo and Sawyer as directors and with OW mechanics.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people won't rest until every publisher is doing the same scripted cinematic third person game... Everything that doesnt follow the formula is bad and uninteresting.

This needs to be a banner on the website. It's unreal how quality racing games, strategy games, platformers, etc. don't count because they're not third person cinematic action/adventure games or RPGs.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I am on the train to my hometown in Germany. Such a bummer the xCloud Preview is not out here. I really don't want to carry heavy consoles around for just a couple of days in 2019. I really look forward to the Christmas holidays next year where this will be so different and much more convenient. Just taking my Switch home this year. Not sure I'd use xCloud for all type of games, especially those that are a showcase for graphical fidelity, but I'd be so happy to try one of the Game Pass indies or achieve more progress in a game like ESO, The Division or FF XIV.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I think a 3rd Person, Shooter/RPG hybrid of Halo could be very cool. Division style.

I vaguely remember Bonnie Ross (head of 343i) saying that they'll explore more options once Halo: Infinite releases. I think it was in an interview like the IGN one, but I could be wrong. Either way, this wouldn't be the first time that they said this. It's something that we learned during the Halo Megablocks leak and there was also a Halo Community Feedbrack program survey, which actually asked what genres Halo should explore. It was one of the first surveys they did and it made me join the HCF program, because I thought they would expand on it.

Also, I'd totally play something like this:

hkv9U0uwKMRpiScC32_1sHl_Nb55_uxUQNARJXa-F_Y.png

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
I vaguely remember Bonnie Ross (head of 343i) saying that they'll explore more options once Halo: Infinite releases. I think it was in an interview like the IGN one, but I could be wrong. Either way, this wouldn't be the first time that they said this. It's something that we learned during the Halo Megablocks leak and there was also a Halo Community Feedbrack program survey, which actually asked what genres Halo should explore. It was one of the first surveys they did and it made me join the HCF program, because I thought they would expand on it.

Also, I'd totally play something like this:

hkv9U0uwKMRpiScC32_1sHl_Nb55_uxUQNARJXa-F_Y.png
3rd person shooter based on the ODST would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.