• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
ib17e0hiby541.png

buckle up!

:O

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
when it comes to the reveals of both Everwild and Hellblade 2 I think they are sooner than some people think tbh.

also odd to see some people (not in this thread) that criticize the early reveals or are then moving the goalpost saying it going to take so long for them to arrive but then turn around and dont say anything when say Ghost of Tsushima was revealed in 2017 and wont be out till 2H of 2020.

Personally im more of a fan of getting most things announced say 1.5 years from release, only a few games do I not mind the long hype train to release (KH3 was one hell of a road lmao)

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
The fridge timeline is definitely my favorite. Although a Xbox branded mini fridge with green LED lighting might actually be pretty cool.
the first thing my brother sent me was a picture of a mini fridge with drinks inside of it
(this was legit like 3mins after the reveal so props to whoever photoshopped it lol)

Honestly...wouldnt mind an xbox that was part mini fridge part console, finally I would have mini fridge that aint loud lol

irrational

Nov 15, 2019
the first thing my brother sent me was a picture of a mini fridge with drinks inside of it
(this was legit like 3mins after the reveal so props to whoever photoshopped it lol)

Honestly...wouldnt mind an xbox that was part mini fridge part console, finally I would have mini fridge that aint loud lol

lol, the internet always amazes me with how quickly they can get memes out there

I mean, we still don't know the final specs of the Series X...so there's still hope for them to power our refrigerator dreams!
(Or they hit us with the "Series R" at E3)

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Death Stranding....those are VERY different experiences. Single player, very high production values, third person, extremely high quality...that's about it. Pretty funny to call those games resembling each other.

Not to mention that completely leaves out games like Ratchet & Clank, Concrete Genie, Resogun, Astrobot, etc. which couldn't be much more different.

That said, I do agree it would be cool to see Sony release an excellent FPS.

Have you got a post in any xbox OT that doesn't mention Sony games?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
With the declining console market in Japan and increase of services for Xbox as well as similar architecture with PS and localization already completed, it's making less and less sense for major Japanese publishers to not port games to Xbox in order to maximize their revenue and potentially build the fanbase and the brand for a bigger sequel release.

Counterpoint: new gen is coming and I'm expecting Sony to make even more of the the unpopular moves of moneyhatting japanese games again. Which means as a PC player, I'll have to wait a year or more to play more games like FFVIIR, Nioh 2, and probably a whole bunch of "next gen" titles.

Hopefully I'm wrong, though.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Counterpoint: new gen is coming and I'm expecting Sony to make even more of the the unpopular moves of moneyhatting japanese games again. Which means as a PC player, I'll have to wait a year or more to play more games like FFVIIR, Nioh 2, and probably a whole bunch of "next gen" titles.

Hopefully I'm wrong, though.
Well that's not really a counterpoint if Sony moneyhats them. They at least have financial incentive for keeping their games exclusive to a platform.

Unless there's a deal I'm not aware of, there's no reason the Persona games should remain exclusive to the Playstation platform and Sega is not making as much money as the could on the IP. It's a bad business move.

Last edited:

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
lol, the internet always amazes me with how quickly they can get memes out there

I mean, we still don't know the final specs of the Series X...so there's still hope for them to power our refrigerator dreams!
(Or they hit us with the "Series R" at E3)
imagine if they do end up going with two console releasing holiday 2020 instead of the 1 with the eventual S or X2 down the line...may the gods have mercy on all who are brave enough the dive into the naming threads on ResetEra

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They should discontinue the xbone imo. Replace it with a series one for $99 no disc drive.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Possibly but I think the overall jump in tech will be enough for games for the next 10 years.
it will be way better for sure than what we saw this gen but in 4 years there will be hardware out that can slap whats in an X or a PS5 for sure and with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X they saw there is a niche for high end consoles.

I can see a steady release of new xbox hardware every 4-5 years while they support the current and last console so like X and X2 are supported but then in 2028 only X2 and X3 are supported and so on. idk will be interesting to see what happens with both Xbox and Playstation but regardless im excited and im here for it

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it will be way better for sure than what we saw this gen but in 4 years there will be hardware out that can slap whats in an X or a PS5 for sure and with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X they saw there is a niche for high end consoles.

I can see a steady release of new xbox hardware every 4-5 years while they support the current and last console so like X and X2 are supported but then in 2028 only X2 and X3 are supported and so on. idk will be interesting to see what happens with both Xbox and Playstation but regardless im excited and im here for it
But Triple A developers will JUST be at a level of efficiently pushing these new systems at their height 5-7 years from now and that's only the few that have the manpower and engines to do so. That's how much CPU and GPU power as well Ram and very little to no loading will be there from jump. I expect this to be the longest console generation of all time.

irrational

Nov 15, 2019
But Triple A developers will JUST be at a level of efficiently pushing these new systems at their height 5-7 years from now and that's only the few that have the manpower and engines to do so. That's how much CPU and GPU power as well Ram and very little to no loading will be there from jump. I expect this to be the longest console generation of all time.

I can see it going either way. But with Phil saying that Hellblade II is fully taking advantage of Series X maybe devs are more equipped for this than we realize. At the end of the day these things are just custom PCs.

The "series" approach Xbox is taking does lend itself to the idea that they will iterate on their hardware rather frequently. Especially with Xcloud becoming a bigger focus for them. Their server blades are based on the consoles, so I can see them updating every 5 years or so for that reason alone.

(Senua's teeth in that trailer got my smile looking 8-bit in comparison, I'm not ready for any of this honestly)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see it going either way. But with Phil saying that Hellblade II is fully taking advantage of Series X maybe devs are more equipped for this than we realize. At the end of the day these things are just custom PCs.

The "series" approach Xbox is taking does lend itself to the idea that they will iterate on their hardware rather frequently. Especially with Xcloud becoming a bigger focus for them. Their server blades are based on the consoles, so I can see them updating every 5 years or so for that reason alone.

(Senua's teeth in that trailer got my smile looking 8-bit in comparison, I'm not ready for any of this honestly)
But why will in 5 years more power be necessary? Unlike last gen, this gen both Sony and MS are building consoles that are at the forefront of tech rather than behind it.

irrational

Nov 15, 2019
But why will in 5 years more power be necessary? Unlike last gen, this gen both Sony and MS are building consoles that are at the forefront of tech rather than behind it.

I mean the One X & Pro aren't exactly "necessary"...Just saying that I can see in 5 years or so maybe the console makers want to be on the forefront of tech again and release a refresh.

Plus, let's say the Series X is in fact more powerful than the PS5, Sony has already mentioned that the Pro was a test bed for them. So If they have a mid-gen refresh I can see MS and Sony playing a game of leap frog with their high end systems.

It's all just guesswork, heck the systems haven't even been fully revealed yet lol. It's fun to predict things sometimes, even if we're wayyy off.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the One X & Pro aren't exactly "necessary"...Just saying that I can see in 5 years or so maybe the console makers want to be on the forefront of tech again and release a refresh.

Plus, let's say the Series X is in fact more powerful than the PS5, Sony has already mentioned that the Pro was a test bed for them. So If they have a mid-gen refresh I can see MS and Sony playing a game of leap frog with their high end systems.

It's all just guesswork, heck the systems haven't even been fully revealed yet lol. It's fun to predict things sometimes, even if we're wayyy off.
The midgens refreshes were kinda "necessary" given how limited the gen started relative to the tech available. Next gen will be such a huge leap overall that should allow most games no matter the scale or scope or graphical detail or AI to be at least 4k/60fps.

irrational

Nov 15, 2019
The midgens refreshes were kinda "necessary" given how limited the gen started relative to the tech available. Next gen will be such a huge leap overall that should allow most games no matter the scale or scope or graphical detail or AI to be at least 4k/60fps.

That would be awesome! But I'm not prepared to say that with 100% confidence until we start seeing games for these systems released. Even so, let's say that the consoles are able to hit 4k/60 for every single title and even after 5 or so years on the market power is no issue.

We could still benefit from a midgen refresh. More efficient chips are bound to be on the market that could potentially bring the cost and size of the system down and result in a power boost. However, I doubt we see as big of a multiplier in power as we saw from One to One X.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be awesome! But I'm not prepared to say that with 100% confidence until we start seeing games for these systems released. Even so, let's say that the consoles are able to hit 4k/60 for every single title and even after 5 or so years on the market power is no issue.

We could still benefit from a midgen refresh. More efficient chips are bound to be on the market that could potentially bring the cost and size of the system down and result in a power boost. However, I doubt we see as big of a multiplier in power as we saw from One to One X.
Yeah, you're right, we'll just have to wait and see rather than fully believe in hope and potential.

That wouldn't really be a midgen refersh. Console makers are always refining their systems with cost and power efficient parts.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Well that's not really a counterpoint if Sony moneyhats them. They at least have financial incentive for keeping their games exclusive to a platform.

Unless there's a deal I'm not aware of, there's no reason the Persona games should remain exclusive to the Playstation platform and Sega is not making as much money as the could on the IP. It's a bad business move.

We have not heard of a deal, but all I hear is fans complaining that Atlus is making odd decisions with their platform choices.

I'm just advising against getting our hopes up too high is all. We've seen a few prior announcements these past few years where remasters/re-releases of popular games ended up PS4 exclusive for some reason- like The Last Remnant remaster, or Konami's re-release of SOTN. Though nothing's been said outright, some kind of incentive from Sony seems most plausible explanation.

As a PC gamer, I'm still waiting on Kingdom Hearts ports announcement.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have not heard of a deal, but all I hear is fans complaining that Atlus is making odd decisions with their platform choices.

I'm just advising against getting our hopes up too high is all. We've seen a few prior announcements these past few years where remasters/re-releases of popular games ended up PS4 exclusive for some reason- like The Last Remnant remaster, or Konami's re-release of SOTN. Though nothing's been said outright, some kind of incentive from Sony seems most plausible explanation.

As a PC gamer, I'm still waiting on Kingdom Hearts ports announcement.
I'm not getting my hopes up but observing what's been happening in the industry. And you could be right, there could be some kind of incentive from Sony which at least would make sense why it continues to happen. Because if not, these companies are stupid.

irrational

Nov 15, 2019
Yeah, you're right, we'll just have to wait and see rather than fully believe in hope and potential.

That wouldn't really be a midgen refersh. Console makers are always refining their systems with cost and power efficient parts.

That's true. What I described is probably more in line with a slim model, but the more I think about it idk if we get a "slim" Series X. I think we go directly to a midgen refresh which would potentially benefit from all of the same things a slim model would give.

Imagine if MS skipped the S and went from the original VCR Xbox One to the One X (mind blown). I think we see something like that, but like I said earlier and to your previous point, the jump in power won't be as drastic as the X1X refresh.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true. What I described is probably more in line with a slim model, but the more I think about it idk if we get a "slim" Series X. I think we go directly to a midgen refresh which would potentially benefit from all of the same things a slim model would give.

Imagine if MS skipped the S and went from the original VCR Xbox One to the One X (mind blown). I think we see something like that, but like I said earlier and to your previous point, the jump in power won't be as drastic as the X1X refresh.
I just think the Series X will be what owners of Series S will decide to move up to if they want more power during the generation. If VR/AR makes any impact this gen, that may also affect potential for another Series of Xboxes.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So let's see if I have the timeline correct...

Complaint: Xbox has no games
Response: Microsoft announces Gears 5, Horizon 4 & Halo Infinite

Complaint: Xbox only makes GEARS, FORZA & HALO!
Response: Microsoft buys 8 studios

Complaint: All of these studios but no games!
Response: Everwild, Bleeding Edge, Age 4, Grounded, Psychonauts 2 etc.

Complaint: Xbox only has CARTOON GAMES!
Response: Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

Current Complaint: It'll take years for ALL of Xbox's studios to get on par with Sony! (Also my 90yo grandma doesn't understand your console naming scheme)

Did I miss anything?
Lockhart destroying next gen!

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Not sure if this has been posted yet

So both Perfect Dark rumors may be true... The Coalition helping a studio... The Initiative being that's studio.... interesting
Considering the parties mentioned here, might this put the PD speculation back on the table? I know it's believed here it's The Coalition but wasn't the initial rumor they were "helping"?
This was my first thought too!

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Shangheist turned into the new PD? I would love to play a third-person action/stealth game featuring Joanna Dark.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Something I've been thinking about in regard to recent XGS game announcements is that Xbox seems to be making a point to reveal games from their studios that have some sort of association to the specific event they are being revealed at. Everwild was revealed at X019 in London, and Rare is obviously located in the UK. Hellblade II was revealed at The Game Awards, and Phil even mentioned that the game was from a studio, "who are no strangers to The Game Awards" given Hellblade won multiple awards at TGAs before. This seems very intentional to me. Do we think this trend continues? And if so, what can we glean from this?

Aug 23, 2018
I think I'd prefer The Initiative to make a new IP. But rebooting PD to be a narrative driven sci-if TPS in between a Splinter Cell and an Uncharted (but with actual good gun play with The Coalition helping) sounds pretty fucking good too

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'd love for Perfect Dark to come back in the vein of Deus Ex, I'd be happy with third person or first, but I like the idea of Perfect Dark as an immersive spy thriller with multiple ways to finish every mission.

Not really sure how else it could come back, but I'm also just so into that idea that maybe I'm a little snowblind. Plus I'm still dealing with Square retiring Deus Ex. I think Game Pass changes things though and maybe that type of game at that production price can have a place again.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
I think I'd prefer The Initiative to make a new IP. But rebooting PD to be a narrative driven sci-if TPS in between a Splinter Cell and an Uncharted (but with actual good gun play with The Coalition helping) sounds pretty fucking good too

I would bet they are making a Perfect Dark reboot given the previous rumor of The Coalition helping with it and Drew Murray's tweet about TC helping The Initiative. Plus I posted in the last XGS OT about a Phil Spencer interview where he had some comments that hinted at The Initiative returning to old IP. This was the post:

"https://youtu.be/kcIwQR4WvZ4

I was going through old Phil Spencer interviews, and @2:20, Phil talks about Darrel Gallagher after having announced the studio acquisitions at E3 2018. I find Phil's choice of words quite telling. "I think he really loved his time with Crystal Dynamics and working on Lara Croft and Tomb Raider, kind of reworking some of that franchise...we were talking about some things in our past that might be interesting, nothing to announce yet, but just some things he might want to go work on". The part about "things in our past he might want to go work on" really makes me think The Initiative is revamping an old IP. Perfect Dark? Or am I just reading into this too much. Thoughts?"

My money is on a Perfect Dark reboot, though new IP would be cool too. I just think that of all the dormant IP Xbox owns, PD stands out. A modern take on it is alluring to me. Also just calling it "Perfect Dark" or even "Joanna Dark" would be cool.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

There are other financial incentives Sony (and MS) can and do give publishers besides a (sigh), moneyhat.

Essentially, it is possible for a publisher to make less money overall by going multi-platform.

Aug 23, 2018
I would bet they are making a Perfect Dark reboot given the previous rumor of The Coalition helping with it and Drew Murray's tweet about TC helping The Initiative. Plus I posted in the last XGS OT about a Phil Spencer interview where he had some comments that hinted at The Initiative returning to old IP. This was the post:

"https://youtu.be/kcIwQR4WvZ4

I was going through old Phil Spencer interviews, and @2:20, Phil talks about Darrel Gallagher after having announced the studio acquisitions at E3 2018. I find Phil's choice of words quite telling. "I think he really loved his time with Crystal Dynamics and working on Lara Croft and Tomb Raider, kind of reworking some of that franchise...we were talking about some things in our past that might be interesting, nothing to announce yet, but just some things he might want to go work on". The part about "things in our past he might want to go work on" really makes me think The Initiative is revamping an old IP. Perfect Dark? Or am I just reading into this too much. Thoughts?"

My money is on a Perfect Dark reboot, though new IP would be cool too. I just think that

Yep, I remember that. PD really is the only IP I could think of that would make sense and be comparable to the TR reboot. Likely PD or a new IP. Either way I'm pretty excited

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are other financial incentives Sony (and MS) can and do give publishers besides a (sigh), moneyhat.

Essentially, it is possible for a publisher to make less money overall by going multi-platform.
Yeah, I can believe that but are you arguing specifically that the Persona games would make less money overall if they went multi-platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.