• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
It's kinda baffling that Sony has such heavy hitters as TLOU Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima scheduled till PS5 hits the market, while Microsoft has nothing in the same league. I know, Ori will be amazing, but I'm more hyped for those PlayStation AAA megatons.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda baffling that Sony has such heavy hitters as TLOU Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima scheduled till PS5 hits the market, while Microsoft has nothing in the same league. I know, Ori will be amazing, but I'm more hyped for those PlayStation AAA megatons.

Xbox are publishing about ten+ games next year including Halo Infinite, they just released Gears 5 a couple of months ago. This isn't the Sony first party thread?

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
User Banned (5 days): Platform Warring and Trolling Over Multiple Posts; Prior Infractions for Similar Behavior
Xbox are publishing about ten+ games next year including Halo Infinite, they just released Gears 5 a couple of months ago. This isn't the Sony first party thread?
Gears 5 was fine, but it didn't share the earth for me. Most of the XGS titles next year will be AA fodder, which doesn't excite me much. The thing is, Xbox lacks really big releases. Halo Infinite? Probably will launch with Series X next to PS5 and its collection of exclusive AAA games.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 was fine, but it didn't share the earth for me. Most of the XGS titles next year will be AA fodder, which doesn't excite me much. The thing is, Xbox lacks really big releases. Halo Infinite? Probably will launch with Series X next to PS5 and its collection of exclusive AAA games.

Right. For you. Would you not be better discussing how hyped you are for PS exclusives in the PS thread, especially if Xbox are mostly releasing AA fodder?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It makes sense if you look at the timeline of XGS, who until late 2017 were working with a much more constrained budget outside of core franchise studios. The bigger games you want aren't going to appear until XSX launch and beyond.

Still, the amount of smaller games coming in 2020 is quite impressive and a good sign. Remember in 2017 we got HW2, Phantom Dust Remaster, Forza 7 and Cuphead (which wasn't even published by MS).

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Right. For you. Would you not be better discussing how hyped you are for PS exclusives in the PS thread, especially if Xbox are mostly releasing AA fodder?
Well, I'm an Xbox fan since 2002, not console warring here. Just a bit disappointed by the situation. As for XGS, it will take years for some studios within it to match Sony's 1st party quality, some will never make it. The bar is set very high.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
As someone who owns every gaming system (a PlayStation 4, a Switch and a PC with all storefronts), I'm really happy that all those publishers do different things. I don't want that Microsoft just copy what Sony does or vice-versa.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft cant magic new titles out of thin air, development schedules are planned years in advance and MS have got a wide and varied line-up for 2020, as the new studios ramp up there will be plenty of titles hitting.

Well, I'm an Xbox fan since 2002, not console warring here. Just a bit disappointed by the situation. As for XGS, it will take years for some studios within it to match Sony's 1st party quality, some will never make it. The bar is set very high.

You're going to have to be a little more patient on this one. MS (wilfully and stupidly it must be said) got themselves into a terrible situation with content but have made clear and significant strides to resolve it, these things take time but we are starting to see the fruits of their labour in the announcements being made, its only going to get better from here.

In the mean time, Gears 5 launched a couple of months ago and is available with the entire franchise on Xbox Game Pass for console for a low price of $9.99, jump in!*

*Gears Tactics available April 2020 for PC and Windows including Xbox Game Pass for PC

Last edited:

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Days Gone, Medievil, Death Stranding, Concrete Genie etc. this year. Every publisher has peaks and troughs, though Xbox was kind of prolonged due to under funding. That's changed now and we are only now seeing the fruits of that labour and its only going to get better.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Frothing over PS exclusives and studios while calling the majority of XGS's output "AA fodder" and then backtracking with "not warring, I'm an Xbox fan honest" sounds like warring to me.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
honestly im as excited to find out what Moon's next game looks like as I am things like Playground's RPG and what The Initiative are working on

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Oh god stop it, all you ever do is complain about Xbox not having what you consider to be 'AAA', quite frankly it's annoying at this point.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Since Ori is at least a league above the likes of the TLOU2, I do not find it baffling at all. Moreover, if I look at "those PlayStation AAA megatons", I can't help but feel they're essentially all the same type of game. TLOU2 even got its multiplayer component removed, which feels like a step backwards coming from the original game.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Urgh. You can prefer what you like without asininely doing down excellent other games.

It's not baffling the 'AAA' situation is like it is, at all, nor is calling stuff 'fodder' at all accurate or useful. The accepted story of this gen is reductively told, to put it politely.

I wish I could read news and clues and people's joy of gaming without this incessant petty bullshit and utter stupidity.

Last edited:

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018

Yea aight, dont feed the trolls guys

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Imagine all those poor grandparents wanting to buy an Xbox for their grandchildren and the clerk selling them an Xbox from 2001. Oh why wont Microsoft think of the children!

Oh man, they are going to be so jazzed on Christmas morning when they're playing Jet Set Radio Future and Gunvalkyrie. I almost envy them.

I was thinking about Sony's stable of games recently, actually, and came to a bit of a realisation. As successful as they have been, they don't really have any games I'd want to return to, personally - all of their games are one-and-done affairs for me. Uncharted and Gears is a good comparison. I've played all of the games in both series, but while I've played all of the Gears games multiple times (except 5 - it's still really new), I've only played the Uncharted games once through, and I have no interest in replaying them. God of War? I can confidently say I will never play that again, either. I really enjoyed Horizon, but I don't know if I'd play that again. Maybe years down the line.

That's not to say I haven't replayed Sony games over the years. I love wipEout, and obviously they are more geared towards repeat play, and I've played through the original Gravity Rush a few times, but if you'll allow me to generalise for a moment, broadly speaking, MS' games offer a lot more replayability for me, whereas Sony's are typically 'play once and shelve' affairs.

Not really sure where I'm going with this waffle, other than to say I prefer the MS approach.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
MS are the who responsible for their AAA terrible situation this Gen outside of (Halo, Forza, Gears) but starting from next year things are different (BUT you will still see more AA games than AAA games thx for the Game Paas) but at least there will be AAA games that not Halo,forza,gears

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Stop calling games "fodder". That's some dumbass shit I keep seeing nowadays.

It's quite literally something that came from people like Crap and other system warriors on twitter who have been "disappointed with MS and are rightfully annoyed". The "game pass fodder" or "aa fodder" thing really shouldn't be used on this site.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Some info on Tell me Why (part of a Q&A from the official discord)

"What sort of influences and ideas were put in place that needed the Huna Heritage Foundation as a resource? Without going into major spoilers, are we dealing with a cast of characters who are descendants of the Huna Tlingit people or are we going to more have themes inspired by their traditions, art, stories, etc.?"
This question was really exciting for the whole team, because Huna Heritage Foundation have been such wonderful partners for years.

Tell Me Why is set in rural southwest Alaska, a region where indigenous communities make up a vast majority of the population. Fans of Life is Strange will know that setting plays a key role in DONTNOD's storytelling, so the team sought guidance from Huna Heritage Foundation to ensure that the game accurately reflects not only Huna Tlingit culture but Alaskan life in general. The Foundation's executive director, Amelia Wilson, went above and beyond in connecting the Tell Me Why team to people who could speak to various aspects of the game. Elise, our audio director, noted that Amelia's connections gave the team invaluable advice on where to record audio footage and take photos for scenery design – everything we needed to truly bring the game's setting to life. Through Amelia, we commissioned Tlingit artists to create works of art that appear in the game as decorative objects or as background design.

Huna Heritage Foundation were also essential in the implementation of Tell Me Why's Tlingit characters: they introduced the team to real people who corresponded to Tell Me Why's characters, and they provided sensitivity reading, names for people and places, and other kinds of script validation.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Some people won't rest until every publisher is doing the same scripted cinematic third person game... Everything that doesnt follow the formula is bad and uninteresting.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people won't rest until every publisher is doing the same scripted cinematic third person game... Everything that doesnt follow the formula is bad and uninteresting.
The reality is there's a huge market and demand for those type of games, particularly when you're selling a console on power and performance.

Aug 26, 2019
The best case scenario is to own both consoles so you can enjoy what both sides have to offer, because both sides do offer incredible things. With Lockhart and Game Pass, many PlayStation (and even Nintendo) gamers can try out some of what XGS has to offer without spending several hundreds of dollars. If you can't afford to own both then you have to go with your personal preference.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Quite frankly, that would suck for people (like me) that have been waiting for japanese games on the plataform, games like Persona, Ni No Kuni and etc.

Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts Collections coming over is a welcomed start, but they have to do more.
I'm with you. I want Ni No Kuni, Dragon Quest and FF7 remake so bad on my One X. Hopefully we can get some of them one day.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The reality is there's a huge market and demand for those type of games, particularly when you're selling a console on power and performance.

Of course there is, but if it's all we ever talk about, even in the negative, it's boring. It's somehow not enough to celebrate them, we have to diminish the value of anything else (and vice versa, diminish them to elevate something else, why?!) - or so this endless turgid story goes.

Anyway, in other news, FH4's Eliminator is surprisingly fun. I even won! Don't know how much life it will have, but it's a good BR experience and has its own flow. Particularly sweet to take out a level 10 guy in my level 7 car cos he challenged me foolishly (positioning and approach really key) and ended up ramming a house :D

Jan 4, 2018
The 1st party title I'm looking forward the most next year all platforms confounded is Gears Tactics
So I'm glad they are making games in those genres

Aug 26, 2019
Customer: "I'd like to buy the new Xbox"

Cashier: "Which one? The entry-level $299 Xbox or high-end $499 Xbox?"

Customer: "Oh wow, I didn't know there was a $299 one. I could use the leftover $200 to buy games."

Cashier:"Every 1st Party game, including Halo, is available on Xbox Game Pass for just $10/month."

Customer: 🤯

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I can't be the only one that remembers threads bemoaning the death of AA games. Now it seems that it wasn't AA games being gone, it was AA games on platforms not called Xbox.
Whatever. So far as AAA games go they already announced a new AAA IP in Everwild. What is the current metric to determine AAAness? Is wasteland 3, is gears tactics, is Halo infinite? What qualifier is getting used?

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
The best case scenario is to own both consoles so you can enjoy what both sides have to offer, because both sides do offer incredible things. With Lockhart and Game Pass, many PlayStation (and even Nintendo) gamers can try out some of what XGS has to offer without spending several hundreds of dollars. If you can't afford to own both then you have to go with your personal preference.

Indeed. I am planning to get the Series X at launch and buy the PS5 when the second version is inevitably released and at a reduced price. By then also, there should be enough games released first party for me to sink my teeth into.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
For the industry? Budget.
For this forum? Camera perspective.
And that's one of the big problems I have with this forum. It ignores conventions of the industry it follows because it doesn't like it.
I also shake my head everytime that people here talk down to people like thomasmahler, Elenarie, and how people like Shinobi were chased away. It's insanely frustrating seeing people dismiss those people and their comments because they disagree. Their POV carries far more weight than mine. Sorry this tirade is getting off track.

Edit: corrected Elenarie's name. Sorry Elenarie.

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I can't be the only one that remembers threads bemoaning the death of AA games. Now it seems that it wasn't AA games being gone, it was AA games on platforms not called Xbox.
Whatever. So far as AAA games go they already announced a new AAA IP in Everwild. What is the current metric to determine AAAness? Is wasteland 3, is gears tactics, is Halo infinite? What qualifier is getting used?
only third person cinematic adventure games and RPG count as AAA

Knottian

Banned
Mar 5, 2019

Nah, those same people will still find something to complain about or somewhere else to stick the goalpost. In the end, those fanboys are no different than the fanatics we see in other arenas in reality; they simply want everyone to conform to their way of thinking. That way they think they'll be happy, or at the very least they won't have to reflect when someone disagrees or counters their reality with another.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
I've always liked Microsoft's focus on gameplay, replay value more than Sony's cinemantic push. I enjoy them both in fact The Last of Us is one of my favourite games from last gen but it was a one and done for me. I almost never replay these Cinematic style games because the gameplay doesn't warrant any reason to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.