• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Yeah, 5-10 seems already a lot but 50? That's just not going to happen at all.

Adam Isgreen: Killer Instinct -> Age of Empires (4)
Jorg Neumann: Crackdown 3 -> MS Flight Sim
Joseph Staten: Crackdown 3 -> Tell me Why
Ken Lobb: Killer Instinct -> ??? (last time we heard, he was helping out on the acquisitions so he might not be fully invested in dev for upcoming Publishing games)
Paul Amer (Head of Art at Global Publishing): Crackdown 3 CG supervisor -> unannounced project (according to his LinkedIn).

Exciting times ahead :)

More...

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

Ken Lobb: Killer Instinct -> ??? (last time we heard, he was helping out on the acquisitions so he might not be fully invested in dev for upcoming Publishing games)
Paul Amer (Head of Art at Global Publishing): Crackdown 3 CG supervisor -> unannounced project (according to his LinkedIn).

One more:

Dave Johnson (previously art director on Crackdown3, animation supervisor on Ryse and involved with the development of several XBLA games) is since September this year working on an "unannounced Xbox game". (source: LinkedIn)

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I kept saying it. Alot of focus on studio's wich is logical. But publishing got maybe the biggest boost. That we already get Tell Me Why for example with next gen not even starting yet says alot.
I am pretty sure we get a Publishing game for the next gen launch.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

The last project that he was credited in (afaik) is Super Lucky's Tale and the Voodoo Vince remaster. Not fully sure whether he still owns Beep industries (studio he founded and that originally worked on the VV game). I'd assume he's still involved with Publishing games via like overseeing the 3rd party dev studios. I'd love to see him make some sort of passion project and to be honest just any developer over at Publishing.

Still hoping for Ishmae1 to bring back that special IP ;)

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I kept saying it. Alot of focus on studio's wich is logical. But publishing got maybe the biggest boost. That we already get Tell Me Why for example with next gen not even starting yet says alot.
I am pretty sure we get a Publishing game for the next gen launch.
Im pretty sure you're right. I posted an interview with Matt Booth awhile ago when he specifically cited XGPublishing as a major part of their next generation focus.

Edit: here is a link to my post https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-game-studios-ot6-im-back-to-rise.132019/post-26633519

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

50 does seem extreme, but to clarify, when he said 50 projects, he meant first party studios plus global publishing. 50 is high, it's definitely more than 10. I'd say 30 to 40. Just taking what's already announced plus what's rumored or confirmed to be in production is close to 30.

To be clear, that's first party studios and global publishing, not just global publishing.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
The only PS4 game I think is truly fantastic is Bloodborne. I am excited for TLOU2 though.

I'm ready for next gen for both consoles
God of War and Persona 5 are undeniably fantastic. Masterpieces in their respective genres.
Cooper only wants Microsoft to emulate Sony's narrative third-person games or he'll not be justified. I think that going for diversity (with plenty of singleplayer experiences, and yes, narrative-focused games among them) is the right and better move. He also completely ignores the growth of all the studios over the last year. He further doesn't acknowledge that games like Wasteland 3 or Ori look better and better every time we see it. Also, Microsoft Flight Simulator and Hellblade II screamed more next gen than anything that the competition has shown. Don't take this tweet seriously, please.
Yes, all of this. Very well said.

BackToKitchen10

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 14, 2019
I hope Outer Worlds 2 is a bigger AAA game.

It doesn't have to have a massive open world and be 900 hours long but Outer Worlds 1 with more polish and graphic fidelity

roly82

Apr 2, 2019

Ken Lobb: Killer Instinct -> Perfect Dark

Fixed :)

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EMAa79LXUAAHULu

Maybe you like it. As posted on Twitter.
Not enough variety.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
God of War and Persona 5 are undeniably fantastic. Masterpieces in their respective genres.

Yes, all of this. Very well said.
Haven't played Persona yet, but hell no to GoW being a masterpiece. It's derivative, repetitive and it lacks enemies variety. The whole rpg elements felt useless/unnecessary. I think there were some threads on Era which highlighted those issues very well. It's not a bad game ofc, but it's definitely overrated. It's not even close to other action games such as DMCV, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden etc... or action RPGs like the soulsborne.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Feels pretty good to be ending 2019 an flushing towards e32020 where we get a solid reveal of the system. Nov 2020 will soon come around haha.

Jan 20, 2019
Haven't played Persona yet, but hell no to GoW being a masterpiece. It's derivative, repetitive and it lacks enemies variety. The whole rpg elements felt useless/unnecessary. I think there were some threads on Era which highlighted those issues very well. It's not a bad game ofc, but it's definitely overrated. It's not even close to other action games such as DMCV, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden etc... or action RPGs like the soulsborne.

God of War has nothing to do with DMCV, Bayonetta e Ninja Gaide, they are not even the same genre.

BackToKitchen10

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 14, 2019
I finished Hellblade, great game but weak combat. They gotta get the Bleeding Edge director to work on the combat in Hellblade 2

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

I agree. I lost interest in God of War by the rowing boat lake. I got cut scene/story beat fatigue. And re: Persona, well it has many of the characteristics of other Japanese games which, with a few exceptions, I generally hate.

I just don't like Japanese game design, as a rule.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Ok that's a hot take haha. To each their own I guess. Personally, I don't know how you could play God of War and not be blown away. I thought it deservedly won GotY over RDR2.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Oh man I can feel this next generation of xbox.

Series X and S player choice.

15 XGS studios + diversified games, I hope that XGS goes from endearing universes which will bring back lots of new fans.

XBOX GAME PASS! The microsoft killer app imo.

xCloud, I hope they will market it well and attract a lot of IOS / Android players.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Also, sidenote: something that really stands out to me about the trailers for the confirmed next gen Xbox games (Everwild, Hellblade II, Halo Infinite - specifically the E3 2019 trailer) is the music. The music has really impressed me and adds so much emotional weight to each trailer.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Ok that's a hot take haha. To each their own I guess. Personally, I don't know how you could play God of War and not be blown away. I thought it deservedly won GotY over RDR2.

I thought it was very good, but I also never finished it. Just wasn't especially interested. Happens with me for quite a lot of games tbh.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Also, sidenote: something that really stands out to me about the trailers for the confirmed next gen Xbox games (Everwild, Hellblade II, Halo Infinite - specifically the E3 2019 trailer) is the music. The music has really impressed me and adds so much emotional weight to each trailer.

Gears 5, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Sea Of Thieves, Ori... They all had amazing soundtracks too. Microsoft has been excellent on this department

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Oh man I can feel this next generation of xbox.

Series X and S player choice.

15 XGS studios + diversified games, I hope that XGS goes from endearing universes which will bring back lots of new fans.

XBOX GAME PASS! The microsoft killer app imo.

xCloud, I hope they will market it well and attract a lot of IOS / Android players.

Yes I think Xbox has certain aspects of console gaming on lock for next gen: services (gamepass, xcloud, xbox live, back compat), certain genres (FPS, racing, just diversity of genres in general), and hardware (I'd be shocked if Xbox doesn't have the most powerful/performant console on the market next gen). Add to that the huge investment in first party, and I think they're really firing on all cylinders.

Klobrille did a great job laying down some facts that back this up. This post specifically:

During the last 5 weeks, Xbox first-party has announced FOUR new exclusive games by Xbox Game Studios. That's 4 more than the competition.

There are more than 12 games coming by Xbox Game Studios in 2020. That's ... A lot more than the competition.

There are 16 announced Xbox Game Studio games in total, with most looking stellar. The announced games alone easily result in the most diverse first-party line-up Xbox ever had. It's not even close at this point.

There are already three announced next-gen first-party games by Xbox Game Studios, with every single one of them looking high-quality (Everwild, Halo Infinite, Senua's Saga: Hellblade II). That's 3 more than the competition.

They are now announcing their games early as fans were asking for, something the competition has been doing for years, creating momentum and confidence in the future of the brand. This will also allow them to create multiple "hype" moments for just one game, showing a game over multiple years.

There are 15 Xbox first-party studios these days, from which *every single one* of these studios has seen significant growth during the last 18 months. XGS Publishing also received more resources, resulting in more budget and more projects in the pipeline. And there is Phil, stating that they are still looking for more studios.

These are all facts. We could obviously keep acting like as if all this isn't happening. We could keep ignoring all this. Or ... Maybe we could see that it's actually Xbox leading the way into next-gen right now.

The continued concern-sharing seems ridiculous at this point and disconnected from reality. Xbox has been doing all the moves when it comes to games during the last few months, not the competition. Xbox has a huge momentum right now, from hardware, to games, to service.

All these announced games already - and the important E3 2020 is still yet to come.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Sound is half of the experience imo. Absolutely love that we are getting more "immersive" sound as the baseline. ALA Dolby Atmos or whatever they use for games next gen. (crossing fingers its atmos or dts:x im betting on Atmos though. )

Which leads me to say .. I REALLLY hope HDR implementation is either Dolby Vision or HDR+ . but i really want DV as the champion. better all around. Dolby Cinema is the best thing ive experienced and having a littttle slice of it at home is quite a treat.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Sound is half of the experience imo. Absolutely love that we are getting more "immersive" sound as the baseline. ALA Dolby Atmos or whatever they use for games next gen. (crossing fingers its atmos or dts:x im betting on Atmos though. )

Which leads me to say .. I REALLLY hope HDR implementation is either Dolby Vision or HDR+ . but i really want DV as the champion. better all around. Dolby Cinema is the best thing ive experienced and having a littttle slice of it at home is quite a treat.
Yes just wait for Halo Infinite. Sound design is gonna be wild. 343 has posted some clips of their sound team doing field recordings, and it seems very promising. Plus their past work in sound design is excellent.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Yes just wait for Halo Infinite. Sound design is gonna be wild. 343 has posted some clips of their sound team doing field recordings, and it seems very promising. Plus their past work in sound design is excellent.
Oh yeah, I've been following their posts on IG. The new sounds they are recording are very interesting. I can't wait!!!

especially to see Halo Infinite Arena at 120fps. Dynamic res with RT

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Do you all think that the SlipSpace engine will be used for games other than Halo? Will Xbox use it within their first party or with 3rd party devs on exclusives similarly to Sony and Decima?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it. Slipspace still has some old Halo engine code in it. And making a "third party engine" is alot of work and needs to very functional, easy to work with, great documentation, dedicated team for support for studios that use it etc.
See Frostbite for example. Lots of problems outside of DICE.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Because I've played better action games? And its structure is too similar to a lot of other AAA games which I'm really getting bored of

The OP in this thread basically explains very well what I mean

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I would consider the game to be universally beloved based on reviews and the generally positive narrative surrounding the game and what it did for the franchise. I think a lot of people would have it as one of their games of the generation as I do.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I hope Outer Worlds 2 is a bigger AAA game.

It doesn't have to have a massive open world and be 900 hours long but Outer Worlds 1 with more polish and graphic fidelity

Agreed. TOW2 doesn't need to be any bigger, I have really enjoyed exploring a bunch of mini open worlds and small satellite locations.

Put all the extra budget into the production values. There's other little things I'd like to see improved upon. TOW was a great first step back into these types of games, though.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
This may not be the best place for this question, but is there any Xbox specific podcasts you all recommend? I used to listen to the IGN "Podcast Unlocked", but eventually just grew bored of it. Is there any others out there?

The Xbox two (Rand and Jez's podcast) and there's one I like to listen to called The Xbox Drive where one of the hosts drives around in his car while Skyping his friend about Xbox.

Aug 26, 2019
XGS has found a lot of success using UE4. Gears 4 and 5, Sea of Thieves and Everwild, Crackdown 3, maybe Fable etc. I'd say let the devs use which engine they feel is best, and I think it'll be UE4 in a lot of cases. The other good thing about using the same engine is that devs can share tools/knowledge amongst groups.

UE4 allowed the Coalition to get hands down the best looking XGS game done within 2.5 years (Coalition). That's a ridiculously short amount of time for a game of that scope and I can't wait to see what enhancements they have for XSX as well as their first XSX game.

Status
Not open for further replies.