• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I hate fanboys. There was this nice game pass thread on reddit and some user posted comment with the whole "$1 is so disrespectful to the devs!" and then started some obvious console warring.

This was my reply. Was that alright?

"They're giving subs away to build a big subscription base. Offer the sub for an extremely low price thereby locking the customer into the ecosystem. Pretty smart actually.
Sure a couple will unsub after, but as Netflix shows most people don't bother. As long as the content keeps on coming(which looks to be the case. There's pretty much a first party game coming into the service every month till Scarlett launch), customers will remain subscribed.

May I also ask what purpose is there in talking shit? Fanboys are so dumb. I hope you're a teenager/pre-teen cos if not that's just damn embarrassing"
Disrespectful for what devs? Third party devs that get paid up front at a price that they agree to for a set period of time? Can't see why any devs would be upset about guaranteed, predictable money. First party devs that are getting funding to make their games and don't get paid directly based on how well their games sell on any given random service or store like most devs, but rather get a dependable, stable paycheck? Or first party studios that are clearly seeing huge investment in their projects - the ones that THEY want to do, whether that's funding and attention to make a niche AA Action Tactics game like Wasteland that's still MULTIPLATFORM or much smaller games like RAD, Grounded, or Bleeding Edge with unclear marketing and sales potential.

In fact, Game Pass makes those games MORE feasible, not less. It opens up these passion projects to more gamers than ever, precisely because the barriers to entry are so low. It frees dev to be creators first and foremost, not salespeople. It's disrespectful to think the normal market isn't a far, far more dehumanizing and crushing environment than Game Pass.

BeholdDeath12

Mar 4, 2019
Disrespectful for what devs? Third party devs that get paid up front at a price that they agree to for a set period of time? Can't see why any devs would be upset about guaranteed, predictable money. First party devs that are getting funding to make their games and don't get paid directly based on how well their games sell on any given random service or store like most devs, but rather get a dependable, stable paycheck? Or first party studios that are clearly seeing huge investment in their projects - the ones that THEY want to do, whether that's funding and attention to make a niche AA Action Tactics game like Wasteland that's still MULTIPLATFORM or much smaller games like RAD, Grounded, or Bleeding Edge with unclear marketing and sales potential.

In fact, Game Pass makes those games MORE feasible, not less. It opens up these passion projects to more gamers than ever, precisely because the barriers to entry are so low. It frees dev to be creators first and foremost, not salespeople. It's disrespectful to think the normal market isn't a far, far more dehumanizing and crushing environment than Game Pass.

Beautifully said mate.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I'm there already, still a month of ultimate is like 12000 points when it's not on sale, don't think you can accrue that many points per month.
The 3-month ones are less and you can indeed accrue enough to have GPU indefinitely.

Does anyone know the publishing situation for Wasteland 3? I thought Deep Silver was publishing it, but the trailers said Xbox Game Studios presents and on steam, InXile is listed as the publisher.

Ninja Theory was named the publisher of Bleeding Edge on PC. Maybe all future XGS games are published by devs on Steam and Switch/PS4 when applicable.
IIRC, Wastelands 3 and Pychonauts 2 pub rights were bought out by MS.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

Agree

Jan 4, 2018
At times I am perplexed to the comparisons to Sony titles, like do we forget that Halo & Gears have a strong Single Player component? Or are we now just lumping them into a GAAS bucket because reasons? Gears 5 just came out, yet here we are asking MS about Death Stranding.
Because a "Greenberg: Death Stranding is not that good" headline would have made wonders for the site's traffic

Idk what's happening lately but it's not only Kotaku, even Eurogamer (wich I've always considered something like the Associated Press of games media) is taking shots at MS.
Their review of TOW was too harsh I felt and now they've made an update on an article they've made about the Obsidian acquisition that basically says everything is just like the last time he was there on 2017 but then ends up saying that "maybe small changes will start to accumulate, people will leave and Obsidian will no longer be what it was. But we're not there yet (as in, we'll eventually get there)"
Well, whatever...

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
Because a "Greenberg: Death Stranding is not that good" headline would have made wonders for the site's traffic

Idk what's happening lately but it's not only Kotaku, even Eurogamer (wich I've always considered something like the Associated Press of games media) is taking shots at MS.
Their review of TOW was too harsh I felt and now they've made an update on an article they've made about the Obsidian acquisition that basically says everything is just like the last time he was there on 2017 but then ends up saying that "maybe small changes will start to accumulate, people will leave and Obsidian will no longer be what it was. But we're not there yet (as in, we'll eventually get there)"
Well, whatever...
been seeing it for a while now, and it's very discouraging. instead of convincing me to think the way they want me to, it makes me avoid their sites and articles almost entirely. the way they dismiss and mock the things i love so openly and happily is gross at best, and absolutely unprofessional if we're being honest.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Now I have had time to digest X019, the future for Xbox looks bright and varied. Plenty of games for all kinds of gamers. Next year more of the heavy hitter AAA titles will join the ranks but I like everyone should be very happy with what titles were shown and what is coming. Game Pass continues to be utterly bonkers. Loved seeing some of the teams split off to do their own little projects. Some really inventive and fun software out there. Several years ago, I don't think MS would risk these kinds of projects but you can really see them coming into their own and really understanding what people actually want. Super exciting.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018

Well, whatever...
Of course, we should expect game journalists to be professionals, but it's MS's fault that they don't have as many loyal fans in the press and on the gaming boards.
In the OG Xbox and early 360 days their systems had their own distinct feel, innovating on the online front and successfuly bringing traditional PC devs to the console audience (Bungie, Bioware, Epic etc.). Then around 2009 they decided to focus on the casual audience with Kinect and that focus lasted until mid-2014 when it was clear they're not going to find much success with it anymore. However, they still wobbled on the first party front for several years and it wasn't until 2017 or so that they made the decision to "become one of global leaders in gaming" (as stated by Nadella) and started investing in internal games development again.

From this point onward, it's going to take several more years until they build a strong identity and a loyal fan following, if you already like what they're doing then simply be patient, other people will warm up to MS eventually as well.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Press must not be loyal to one brand or not loyal. Defeats the purpose.
In an ideal world, yes they should be professional. In reality, there are many fanboys, trolls and nutjobs in the (gaming) press, it's a fact that should just be acknowledged and worked with/around. Getting angry that people are skeptical about Microsoft's offering/prospects won't get anybody anywhere. (that said, don't give traffic to websites/channels that are unprofessional)

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
If you like Dark Souls then you should definitely give Remnant a shot on Gamepass. Preferably in co-op too.

I've tried other "Soulslike" games like The Surge, Code Vein and Ashen and hated them all. But Remnant is actually pretty damn fantastic. It's Dark Souls but with guns and it somehow works. I'm in the third environment and I keep getting impressed with the enemy and boss variety. I wouldn't have tried it without Gamepass.

This is the kind of game I want from MS. I wonder if the dev is owned by anyone.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
If you like Dark Souls then you should definitely give Remnant a shot on Gamepass. Preferably in co-op too.

I've tried other "Soulslike" games like The Surge, Code Vein and Ashen and hated them all. But Remnant is actually pretty damn fantastic. It's Dark Souls but with guns and it somehow works. I'm in the third environment and I keep getting impressed with the enemy and boss variety. I wouldn't have tried it without Gamepass.

This is the kind of game I want from MS. I wonder if the dev is owned by anyone.

THQ Nordic bought them in August

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The most important bit of the Greenberg interview to me is that Microsoft has learned their lesson with Games as a Service. It can work but singleplayer experiences have as much right to exist. This is very positive news for Xbox's future games.

Also, I'm seeing a notable shift with positive attitudes towards Xbox on ERA these last few days. Yes, there are still the concern trolls and console warriors but more and more people seem to see that Xbox is cooking up something really great for next gen. Posters finally see how much exclusive content will come to the Xbox ecosystem soon, and they seem to recognize that genre diversity is probably the greatest strength for the green team. I'm referring to the 'how did Microsoft do at XO19' thread and poll as well as the 'we have to hand it to Phil' thread. Maybe it's also all due to Yakuza coming to Xbox finally, haha :D

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of Everwild. And I'm thinking of Rare's Kameo 2 prototype. And It's making me feel some type of way.

3glotw.gif

3glp0k.gif
That's an interesting observation! While a lot of the creative leads behind Kameo work elsewhere now (George Andreas works at King iirc), there are some Kameo vets on the Everwild team.

Louise O'Connor - Exec Producer on Everwild, animator on Kameo
Ryan Stevenson - Art director on EW, artist on the Kameo 2 prototype*
Ben Miller - Designer on EW, software engineer on Kameo

Maybe there are more, but there is still a lot we don't know about the EW team.

*edited for clarity

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game for sure will have some viva pinata influence in it. Even more with the rumoured "God game" elements.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Btw about the Everwild into pre production and years away stuff. Remember SoT was announced also in 2015 and came out in 2018. 3 years later.
Dont think Everwild trailer is a like a concept. I mean its a idea but i dont think it will be much different. I mean this was the announce trailer for SoT

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Btw about the Everwild into pre production and years away stuff. Remember SoT was announced also in 2015 and came out in 2018. 3 years later.
Dont think Everwild trailer is a like a concept. I mean its a idea but i dont think it will be much different. I mean this was the announce trailer for SoT

The development of the sea of thieves began in mid-2014.

Everwild at least 2 years ago, all developers who work on the game say it's a taste, I think the game internally must be advanced enough, but it will take time.

I also think that storytelling in Everwild will have an important place.

Simon woodroffe is a writer

Kate Watson is a senior narrative designer

Chris alcock (Kameo writer, did some work on the game)

And he recruits a Lead World designer specializing in OW.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
That's an interesting observation! While a lot of the creative leads behind Kameo work elsewhere now (George Andreas works at King iirc), there are some Kameo vets on the Everwild team.

Louise O'Connor - Exec Producer on Everwild, animator on Kameo
Ryan Stevenson - Art director on EW, artist on the Kameo 2 prototype*
Ben Miller - Designer on EW, software engineer on Kameo

Maybe there are more, but there is still a lot we don't know about the EW team.

*edited for clarity

James blackham - Lead désigner on EW, Lead Technical designer on Fable Legends.

Alex Shepard - Technical désigner on EW, Junior dialogue désigner on Fable Legends, Technical désigner Deep silver dambuster studios.

Also Fable legends

Jan 4, 2018
There's people that seems worried about the kind of games that newly acquired studios are gonna release (specially regarding NT and Obsidian).

But that's really easy to understand if you look at where those studios where before the acquisitions. Studios with a big pedigree that have a hard time pitching projects to publishers and without financial security to try and start working on big projects forcing them to do work-for-hire and smaller projects.
What would you do in that situation? Try to get into the most popular types of games even if they're not what you usually do to try and have a huge success, that's why we're now seeing:

Bleeding Edge (Overwatch+Smite-like)

Grounded (Fortnite-like, specially the Save the World part)

That's my take, might be wrong

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Reading again about the asia studio part. I hope he realizes he has a hole in mainland EU also.

I look at the geographic diversity of our studios. I love the fact we now have three studios here in the UK. You can go back decades... you could argue the UK is as strong as any country in terms of its impact on the history of video games. I love that we're here in such strength. Now we have studios in Canada, studios in other parts of the US. I think we have a hole in Asia.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

Tried this out yesterday and really enjoy it. Had been on the fence about a purchase, but Game Pass made the decision for me.

Trying to convince my buddy to download to do coop, but he's not biting.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

true

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Um, Phil why isn't Central Europe an acquisition "area" for developers?

He's not saying that though, is he? He's not really bringing it up so I wouldn't rule it out.
I do think the biggest reason as to why he wants an Asian studio would be since they had one in the past along with some good third party support. I don't think MS ever had a studio set in Central Europe.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
He's not saying that though, is he? He's not really bringing it up so I wouldn't rule it out.
I do think the biggest reason as to why he wants an Asian studio would be since they had one in the past along with some good third party support. I don't think MS ever had a studio set in Central Europe.

Mojang. I think there are opportunities, the question is how bad does Phil want them.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
With 2 teams at Rare and Playground.

Microsoft has 5 AAA (Rare,PG,Tameem team) teams in and 2 AA (Ninja Theory) in Europe.

I hope The coalition has 2 teams also like Eidos Montreal.

With Tameem recent interview I think Ninja Theory will have 1 team of 100 people working on a big game and 2 others on smaller games.

Because they want to grow

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
We've been hearing this for years but this is how certain members of the forum act like...

Fanboys: MS needs to compete with their first party games
Microsoft: Introducing Xbox Game Pass
Fanboys:
giphy.gif

Now back to our scheduled programming: I look forward to what Everwild will be...I love Rare's artstyle man.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
With 2 teams at Rare and Playground.

Microsoft has 5 AAA (Rare,PG,Tameem team) teams in and 2 AA (Ninja Theory) in Europe.

I hope The coalition has 2 teams also like Eidos Montreal.

The big games some people are craving for after X019 are going to be made by 343i, Playground Games, The Initiative and The Coalition. Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Rare will come close. Other studios will produce smaller titles.

And Turn10 and World's Edge will create big games, but those are in genres not very well liked in discussions like this.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The big games some people are craving for after X019 are going to be made by 343i, Playground Games, The Initiative and The Coalition. Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Rare will come close. Other studios will produce smaller titles.

And Turn10 and World's Edge will create big games, but those are in genres not very well liked in discussions like this.
Minecraft still not AAA man...biggest game in the world...got its own conference and everything...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait what Compulsion makes to be fair. The are amazing world builders. And the last dlc for WHF has some nice gameplay also.
Love to see game from them like Remember Me.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

100% sure that SOD 3 will be an AAA made by 150 employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.