• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I read through this interview and, personally, feel some questions were borderline unprofessional, specifically: "Game Pass has become such a focus for Xbox now. Is this because you can't compete with a marquee first-party title like last week's Death Stranding, and so offer breadth?"

This just feels like something that would come straight from a Sony fanboy. Maybe that was the intent, idk. Maybe I'm missing the point. That's definitely possible.

source.gif

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this, what a truly dreadful interview, fair play to Greenberg for staying professional, the interviewer was clearly trying to bait him with those shitty questions.

Aug 26, 2019
Posted in the next-gen thread too but I found this to be the most interesting part of the interview:

It's the same team that built Xbox One X that's working on Project Scarlett. Yes, we'll have great graphical performance, but things like speed will be a big factor with integrating the SSD. We can support increased CPU, higher framerates, so 120 FPS, having things like DirectX raytracing that's never really existed on a console. To put all that in the hands of developers will just bring a whole new set of console game experiences.

I don't really care for framerate, 30FPS has never been a problem for me. But I'm really excited to see Forza, Gears with raytracing

Nov 23, 2018
Yeah some questions were cringe, like bringing up scalebound, for what? Lol
Kotaku butt hurt too I guess? Damn lmao
There is some true to that but i think it was more a Microsoft decision that a market one.

The entire company is going the service route.
Yep, I think Aaron handled that garbage pretty well overall. Gears 5 was an incredible game that should be up for GOTY, has higher overall critic review averages and is actually fun to play compared to Amazon delivery guy simulator even though I know that some have found a way to get immersed into that I guess :)
source.gif

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this, what a truly dreadful interview, fair play to Greenberg for staying professional, the interviewer was clearly trying to bait him with those shitty questions.
Y'all replied too fast too keep up on the phone lol - agreed on all counterpoints/additions!

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Telling everyone again, 120fps will be used as a selling point. Especially for FPS Infinite Arena - probably during HCS when infinite does it.

If it was announced on stage at e3, pay attention.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I read through this interview and, personally, feel some questions were borderline unprofessional, specifically: "Game Pass has become such a focus for Xbox now. Is this because you can't compete with a marquee first-party title like last week's Death Stranding, and so offer breadth?"

This just feels like something that would come straight from a Sony fanboy. Maybe that was the intent, idk. Maybe I'm missing the point. That's definitely possible.
Eh, I don't mind a spicy question or two in my interviews, and that specific question produced a good answer from Greenberg with regards to how they are doing both marquee AAA titles and broader AA stuff.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
At times I am perplexed to the comparisons to Sony titles, like do we forget that Halo & Gears have a strong Single Player component? Or are we now just lumping them into a GAAS bucket because reasons? Gears 5 just came out, yet here we are asking MS about Death Stranding.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So E32020 :

XGS Games :

-Halo Infinite Gameplay Reveal
-Ninja Theory New IP Action/Adventure
-Fable IV Reveal
-Everwild Gameplay Reveal
-Big Games Reveal from XGS - Publishing ?
-Forza Motorsport Reboot
-New Killer instinct ?
-Tell my why date

XO20 :
-Obsidian big Action RPG leaded by Chris Parker (POE3)
-New IP Compulsion Games Third person Action/Adventure
-Small New IP from XGS Publishing ?

waiting 2 years from announcement to seeing what Halo is even gonna play like would really really suck

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas

I was actually a bit taken aback but how terrible some of those questions are. You have one of the few big events, even more so an Xbox focus event, where you can essentially ask anything and that's what they come up with? Yikes.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
This is worth a read and is so on point (with the exception of the confusion that Kingdom Hearts will be on Game Pass, which was not announced), and I think that the final part of it is something that all Xbox fans should take to heart when worrying what idiots that just want to take shots at Xbox have to say going forward - https://gamingbolt.com/microsofts-stellar-show-at-x019-paints-a-rosy-picture-for-xboxs-future

cool.

It is also impressive how X019 demonstrated Microsoft tackling one of the most common criticisms that is leveled at them: their lack of games. This has in the past been best demonstrated by their release schedule: consider, for instance, that in 2019, their releases consisted of​
Crackdown 3
in February, then​
Gears 5
in September, and that's it. That's all they had. This is a far cry from the games they have lined up for next year, such as​
Grounded, Bleeding Edge, Psychonauts 2, Halo Infinite, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Wasteland 3, Minecraft Dungeons,
and​
Tell Me Why
, at which point they're basically pushing out one major game every two months. True, all of those are not exclusives, owing to prior commitments studios may have had before being acquired, but it points to one very important fact: Microsoft now has enough content to be able to achieve this kind of release cadence, and once their studios are done meeting their commitments they had prior to release, their slate of exclusives should swell immensely.​

Nov 23, 2018
At times I am perplexed to the comparisons to Sony titles, like do we forget that Halo & Gears have a strong Single Player component? Or are we now just lumping them into a GAAS bucket because reasons? Gears 5 just came out, yet here we are asking MS about Death Stranding.
So much in today's media world makes no sense (beyond video games).

Nov 23, 2018
Eh, I don't mind a spicy question or two in my interviews, and that specific question produced a good answer from Greenberg with regards to how they are doing both marquee AAA titles and broader AA stuff.
Spicy is good; however, some of these questions made me react "what does this have to do with anything?" versus "oh, now that's a good question!"

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018

Glad not to read Kotaku, it's crap.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

Narrative innit. Some truth, a lot more abstraction, generalisation and the like.

I do feel there is a tendency to overstate some of Sony's achievement and understate some of MS's. It's certainly true Sony has done extremely well, made some super games, and Xbox has done less well and not had any zeitgeist hits this gen, and in absolute market terms there's a clear 'winner'. But if you boil things down and stop looking at stuff through the lense of 'AAA=a very particular set of features' and engage with the strengths of some of MS's games, the distance isn't so vast, imho, in terms of my enjoyment and my thoughts. Of course, a lot of this is about personal preference, and that's cool, but I do feel when one is immersed in this stuff relatively small differences become magnified, and tendencies become clear directions - e.g. Sony being described as having 'arthouse' games (I think this was the Guardian), which isn't exclusively true, and also significantly understates the inherent conservatism of something like Horizon Zero Dawn. It's a great game, it's beautiful, but it's not in a million years 'art house' (ditto God of War: stylish, but also a well-made hodgepodge of numerous popular gaming systems. That's it - which sounds dismissive, it's not, but that is what it is - so is Gears 5, each building on their core stylings by adding in 'What's Popular Now' systems).

Death Stranding is more radical in some senses, so of course there's currents going that way, but again, deviations become paradigm changes when we obsess over the minutiae. MS by comparison don't really have such games (yet - Everwild may be, who knows; + I will always maintain SoT is much more radical than many people give it credit for, and I love and admire it for resolutely sticking to its guns and being decidedly bold), and thus in relation the qualitative differences become exagerrated.

I don't really know what I am saying.

Oh, also, I am perenially puzzled by the conservatism of the enthusiast. It makes sense (fans like things a certain way, that's why they are fans), but it's so limiting. 'Our' games as 'gamers' have to be just so else I'm not interested. Que? This is the downside of the personal preference bit above.

Last edited:

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

Yeah, it seems like the moment a game has some sort of online mode, it's suddenly immensely devalued if we follow the behaviour of some people on this site. Which is kind of a bummer since Titanfall 2 and Gears 5 have my two favourite campaigns of any current-gen game.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018

absoLUTEly agreed. Goodness.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Halo 4 and 5's campaigns have been nowhere near the calibre of Sony's blockbuster single-player only games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, etc. Even just comparing scope to this year's Death Stranding and Days Gone - the Halo campaigns are like 10 hours. Sony's games are often 2 or 3 times longer and obviously a lot more acclaimed too in the case of their many GOTY winners and nominees over the past 10 years.

Gears 5 was a step in the right direction, but its campaign still wasn't anything special and wasn't very long either. The difference for single player fans is that Sony's games feel like large, impactful, filling experiences. Most of Microsoft's games have a single player campaign that just feels like a fun romp but that's about it.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
Halo 4 and 5's campaigns have been nowhere near the calibre of Sony's blockbuster single-player only games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, etc. Even just comparing scope to this year's Death Stranding and Days Gone - the Halo campaigns are like 10 hours. Sony's games are often 3 or 4 times longer and obviously a lot more acclaimed too in the case of their many GOTY winners and nominees over the past 10 years.

Gears 5 was a step in the right direction, but its campaign still wasn't anything special and wasn't very long either. The difference for single player fans is that Sony's games feel like large, impactful, filling experiences. Most of Microsoft's games have a single player campaign that just feels like a fun romp but that's about it.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I wish you could see how your opinion is coloring your entire statement. I don't play many single player games. My fiance and I LOVED gears 5 because we had story to playthru completely together. Last of Us doesn't let us do that. Uncharted doesn't let us do that. Gears is better, in our opinion, *because* it's a co op story and world we can get lost in. If you're only interested in single player games, then sure, right now Sony's better. But their multiplayer and co op offerings are *paltry* compared.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That Kotaku article is so unprofessional and that headline is terrible also. As in the interview he never says he "is not worried"
Is this made by a freelancer? Because its not like Kotaku at all.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're entitled to your opinion, but I wish you could see how your opinion is coloring your entire statement. I don't play many single player games. My fiance and I LOVED gears 5 because we had story to playthru completely together. Last of Us doesn't let us do that. Uncharted doesn't let us do that. Gears is better, in our opinion, *because* it's a co op story and world we can get lost in. If you're only interested in single player games, then sure, right now Sony's better. But their multiplayer and co op offerings are *paltry* compared.

That's totally fair. Of course. Like I said, I'm speaking to the differences for SINGLE-PLAYER. If you prefer multiplayer and co-op, Xbox is better for sure.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

My favorite thing about that question is that Gears 5 has a higher MC score than Death Stranding. I feel like some people are all about Metacritic, until it disagrees with them and then they're like "oh reviewers just don't get it"

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

Yep, I think Aaron handled that garbage pretty well overall. Gears 5 was an incredible game that should be up for GOTY, has higher overall critic review averages and is actually fun to play compared to Amazon delivery guy simulator even though I know that some have found a way to get immersed into that I guess :)
source.gif

I don't think there is anything wrong with the interview. Journalists are not the PR departement of big corporations.

Their job is to get the information behind the pr talking points for their readers. And it's the job of a PR person like Aaron Greenberg to navigate through these tough questions without loosing their cool. Both partys were just doing their job, there is nothing unprofessionel about that interview.

You really want journalist to just ask the same fluffy questions and get the same pr answers all the time? Why have an interview then? Just copy & paste the press release of those corporations.

Many gaming magazines are far too compliant when they have an interview with an important person.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
Halo 4 and 5's campaigns have been nowhere near the calibre of Sony's blockbuster single-player only games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, etc. Even just comparing scope to this year's Death Stranding and Days Gone - the Halo campaigns are like 10 hours. Sony's games are often 2 or 3 times longer and obviously a lot more acclaimed too in the case of their many GOTY winners and nominees over the past 10 years.

I have a feeling that shorter and laser focused single player components are preferred nowadays unless it's MS game. A game doesn't need to be 20+ hours to have a fulfilling campaign and to expect that from franchises with huge multiplayer like Halo and Gears is ridiculous.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there is anything wrong with the interview. Journalists are not the PR departement of big corporations.
There are ways to ask tough questions that still foster meaningful/worthwhile discussion, like Jeff asking Phil what it will take to stop shipping broken games during Giant Bomb's E3 show a few years back. And then there's cringey questions meant to generate clickbaity headlines, like this article comes off as (to me at least).

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Posted in the next-gen thread too but I found this to be the most interesting part of the interview:

I don't really care for framerate, 30FPS has never been a problem for me. But I'm really excited to see Forza, Gears with raytracing

DirectX is software based no? or is that in addition to the hardware RT they have?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

Their job is to get the information behind the pr talking points for their readers. And it's the job of a PR person like Aaron Greenberg to navigate through these tough questions without loosing their cool. Both partys were just doing their job, there is nothing unprofessionel about that interview.

You really want journalist to just ask the same fluffy questions and get the same pr answers all the time? Why have an interview then? Just copy & paste the press release of those corporations.

Many gaming magazines are far too compliant when they have an interview with an important person.
Good interview questions that are not fluffy are from the likes of giant bomb. This ain't it chief.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Not really. Looks at Giantbomb. These are plain rude. And then come up with that terrible title also wich he never says is crazy unprofessional.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
True. See Hellblade. Can't wait to see what Ninja Theory's main team is cooking up. Nice, juicy exclusive single player game. Just like y'all like.

Absolutely! That should be awesome. I realize that I'm rightfully critical of Microsoft's single player output this gen, but will be fully on board when/if they start to reach their potential with single player games moving forward. The future does hold lots of promise.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017

Gears 5 campaign was amazing, a joy to play. And it was 15 hours long, which is a perfect lenght.

Status
Not open for further replies.