• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
Its insane to see how many awesome stuff is coming. Its definitely going to be the platform I play the biggest number of new games in 2020, and I wont have spend any more money to do so.
no. kidding.

i mean, just next year from what we know alone, that promo pic of 50 Game Pass games is insane. thousands of hours on Final Fantasy and Yakuza games alone, not even counting the first party releases. Xbox is coming back super strong, and I'm so excited for the future.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Still weird to see Bleeding Edge published by NT on Steam. Yet on the xbox store its says MS studios (need to fix that tho)

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
User Warned: Platform warring across multiple posts
now *that's* a fresh take.

again, it's unrealistic to expect all this so soon after they beefed up their studios and are gearing up for next gen. we gotta develop a little more patience, and a dash of optimism.
I doubt most of the acquired studios are capable of delivering the same quality as SSM, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Bend, Insomniac etc.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
no. kidding.

i mean, just next year from what we know alone, that promo pic of 50 Game Pass games is insane. thousands of hours on Final Fantasy and Yakuza games alone, not even counting the first party releases. Xbox is coming back super strong, and I'm so excited for the future.

Im not even taking those into accout, because I played most of them already, and yeah, you could spend a whole year just playing these lol

But just thinking about brand new stuff that will be launching day one on the service, both first party and indie releases. And I imagine that a bunch of 2020 games will eventually join the service before the end of the year too, just like it has happened in 2019. I could realistically buy no games in 2020 and still be part of the conversation around the games of the year.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
I doubt most of the acquired studios are capable of delivering the same quality as SSM, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Bend, Insomniac etc.
out of who they just acquired, obsidian's main team and ninja theory's main team certainly will. playground game's rpg team is going to pop off when they unveil their next gen game. and of course, the coalition, 343i, turn 10, and rare will be putting out AAA, big budget, highly rated, and best of all, diverse games. i can see compulsion, double fine, and probably undead labs staying smaller, and of course you have studios like inexile who want to make something fresh, big, and new while also doing isometric and smaller-scale.

that's the beauty of it. that's what i'm excited for. we aren't sitting here waiting on these studios to drop the next third-person, over-the-shoulder, narrative-before-gameplay experiences. everything coming will be fresh, unique, and different from each other. their portfolio is going to be insane.

and yes, some of those will indeed be AAA absolutely of the same quality and calibur as Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, etc. count on it.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
out of who they just acquired, obsidian's main team and ninja theory's main team certainly will. playground game's rpg team is going to pop off when they unveil their next gen game. and of course, the coalition, 343i, turn 10, and rare will be putting out AAA, big budget, highly rated, and best of all, diverse games. i can see compulsion, double fine, and probably undead labs staying smaller, and of course you have studios like inexile who want to make something fresh, big, and new while also doing isometric and smaller-scale.

that's the beauty of it. that's what i'm excited for. we aren't sitting here waiting on these studios to drop the next third-person, over-the-shoulder, narrative-before-gameplay experiences. everything coming will be fresh, unique, and different from each other. their portfolio is going to be insane.

and yes, some of those will indeed be AAA absolutely of the same quality and calibur as Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, etc. count on it.
As a guy mainly interested in high profile AAA games, I really hope so. Don't get me wrong, I'm with Xbox from 2002, but this gen I had way more fun in God of War, Spider-Man and Days Gone than anything else. It's like Sony winning me again ;)

Bits N Pieces Flight Sim looks insane, but I don't have any interest in the genre whatsoever.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I've got to say... Despite Xbox' failings this gen, they've actually been doing great on the JP 3rd party front. This gen has seen and will see a number of firsts from JP pubs on Xbox:
-The classic PS1/PS2 Final Fantasy games
-Kingdom Hearts series
-Yakuza
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Tales of (as a non-moneyhat game)
-Monster Hunter (main series)
-A number of ports such as Okami, Super Monkey Ball, Onimusha

Add that to the already existing series on Xbox from Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai, Capcom, etc. and the JP 3rd party situation on Xbox isn't as dire as some people make it out to be.

There's still work to do, of course. Like Persona and Dragon Quest. Hopefully the Yakuza and KH news puts an end to the "if you want JP games why are you on Xbox lol?!" naysayers though.

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
if you aren't going to play the yakuza games PLEASE download them and launch them at least once! Could help engagement and push them to bring the other titles to Xbox :D

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
I really hope this is the light at the end of the tunnel that leads to high levels of Japanese content on Xbox next gen.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
I've got to say... Despite Xbox' failings this gen, they've actually been doing great on the JP 3rd party front. This gen has seen and will see a number of firsts from JP pubs on Xbox:
-The classic PS1/PS2 Final Fantasy games
-Kingdom Hearts series
-Yakuza
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Tales of (as a non-moneyhat game)
-Monster Hunter (main series)
-A number of ports such as Okami, Super Monkey Ball, Onimusha

Add that to the already existing series on Xbox from Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai, Capcom, etc. and the JP 3rd party situation on Xbox isn't as dire as some people make it out to be.

There's still work to do, of course. Like Persona and Dragon Quest. Hopefully the Yakuza and KH news puts an end to the "if you want JP games why are you on Xbox lol?!" naysayers though.
that's one of my favorite things going on right now as well. my fiance and i teared up when they announced the rest of Kingdom Hearts coming to Xbox. we play on Xbox for the games of course, but also because my two brothers and our three mutual friends play there as well. my social life is mostly conducted thru Xbox Live aside from my fiance of course.

we also LOVE that their games are typically multiplayer-focused, or at the very least, multiplayer-capable. we've done the halo campaigns, the gears campaigns, over 200 hours in sea of thieves, who knows how long in forza horizon, minecraft, state of decay, etc. etc. we love to play together. i can be del and she can be kait. i can't be joel while she controls ellie. for us, that automatically makes gears better.

but personally, my overall favorite genre is jrpgs. usually turn-based, but having a limited selection on Xbox has forced my hand and made me get better at action combat from trying ANY jrpgs that come to the system. so to see this turn-around, to see FF and KH on stage at an Xbox event, to put over 300 hours into Monster Hunter World on Xbox One, to buy a collector's edition of Valkyria Chronicles 4 on Xbox for goodness sake lol it is truly AMAZING. i am genuinely grateful that they went out of their way to bring these games to the console i am absolutely going to have, play most, and am happiest with overall. now there's just even more to be stoked about for me.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's also running on high end PC's. Which is a dishonest comparison, but you knew that.
So we are now changing the goal post to the platform instead of the studios because otherwise the argument would make no sense. Obviously independent from the fact that Flight Sim will also come to console and a studio like Ninja Theory that has already proven to achieve cutting-edge visuals.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I think one of the most important things about this is that with MS doing proper BC into the future, these games will be playable natively on Scarlett (potentially in 8k/120fps), whilst they won't on PS5, unless they all have a PS4 version. Of course, they may be available via PSNow, but not up-res'd or in a higher frame rate.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
So we are now changing the goal post to the platform instead of the studios because otherwise the argument would make no sense. Obviously independent from the fact that Flight Sim will also come to console and a studio like Ninja Theory that has already proven to achieve cutting-edge visuals.
it's always something, squirrel. the goal posts always shift and no matter what gets done, it's never enough. it's sad.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
catching the eye !! Casual Gamers doesn't give a damn shit about small games they want mature AAA Games and most of those are Console Gamers so this strategy won't work coz it's not appealling

What is any of this based on ? it's easy to say that mature AAA ( whatever that means ) games are the most appealing games because that's what is mostly talked about between mates, forums and gaming websites but that's not the reality when it comes to "casual" gamers. How many people have played minecraft, fortnite or even that kart racer that they showed last night ? Far far more than have played gear 5 for sure.

Companies like Microsoft, Netflix etc are looking at the actual data to see what people interact with and how long they spend with it. MS have already said that Game Pass members are playing more games for more of their time than before. If you were to look at Netflix you would think their AAA shows like Narcos, Better Call Saul or House of Cards are their flagships and most watched. The reality is though that the most watched shows are Friends and The Office and its not even close when it comes to viewing numbers. I am sure this is one of the reasons why Netflix doesn't actively release its actual viewing numbers because people might see that the big Netflix shows are not as popular as people think.

A game like Grounded while it might not appeal to you it shares a lot with Minecraft and MS are probably looking at that game getting a lot of play time. On top of that they have a streaming service in Mixer where they have content creators on the books to help sell these games playtime to younger audiences. They will still have mature AAA games that appeal to people who want that sort of thing but XO19 last night showed that they are trying to hit every possible demographic of gamer.

The whole idea of "AAA" and "Casual Gamer" is so beyond borked these days. Purely on numbers bloody Candy Crush is probably the most "casual" game currently being played. It makes millions a day, King is owned by Activision and has over 2000 employees. Does this also make it a AAA game ?

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Frankly a lot of Sony games are graphically overrated. The only truly impressive games they've produced (from a technical POV) are Detroit, Uncharted 4 and The Order 1886. Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 are right up there with them too.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
" from a purely technical stand point it doesn't match Sony games " That's what it was all about. Has nothing to do with the hardware the game is running on.
That I agree with. What the team is accomplishing with Flight Simulator is way beyond anything any Sony game has ever even tried to achieve from a purely technical stand point. Asobo is creating as best an approximation of the *entire planet* as they can for you to fly around in at your leisure. I definitely put that on a different level than Sony's technically proficient, high fidelity corridors / open zone areas. You want to compare story? Ok, for now, we can do that. You want to compare technical prowess, not to mention ambition? I think we got you beat there, handily.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Nobody could realistically expect Xbox to come out all guns blazing for next gen yesterday. This show was about a swan song for Xbox One and featured many of the British studios. Just for a second imagine that all those XGS games in 2020 were coming exclusively to the platform. This is precisely what will happen 1-2 years later. Xbox will have the greatest diversity of games from any hardware manufacturer, with a particular strength in shooters, RPGs and racing games. We'll see the big AAA stuff at E3. It's too early for these type of games.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
That I agree with. What the team is accomplishing with Flight Simulator is way beyond anything any Sony game has ever even tried to achieve from a purely technical stand point. Asobo is creating as best an approximation of the *entire planet* as they can for you to fly around in at your leisure. I definitely put that on a different level than Sony's technically proficient, high fidelity corridors / open zone areas. You want to compare story? Ok, for now, we can do that. You want to compare technical prowess, not to mention ambition? I think we got you beat there, handily.

Yep having the entire planet as a playground is something very special. I hope we will be able to explore the entire world by food in the future either in 3rd person or first person and it doesn't even need to have a story then as you would be just too busy to explore everything.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Everwild looked epic, and that's coming from someone who far prefers realistic graphics.

Gamepass just keeps getting better so many games!!!!!

When I checked in on the stream at work it had north of 50k viewers on mixer. Kudos to Microsoft to sticking with the platform, it's been growing a lot.

I've been hammered by a few of you guys for saying xcloud would come to gamepass and all games you buy through the Xbox store.... told ya!

:)

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
Again, Grounded is being made with 13 people. Sure, that will increase before release, but in a studio of 200, that just released a big game, that's not many. There are plenty or people left to make Pillars of Skyrim.
Actually Brennecke specifically said he will keep the team small so he knows what everyone is doing and it's a focused project. And with so many projects going on at Obsidian, it might be quite difficult to throw more people at the project that is resourced as being the small project.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTveV4Yfh2I

@1:59:11

"Frankly when we look forward, and we're looking at the shows to come, I can't see a show where we won't be announcing new first party games. There's just so much in development and there's so few shows that I think this should just be something that we should get used to" - The legend himself, Phil Spencer, at X019.

Hype.

So what will XGS announce at The Game Awards?

These are the possibilities I could think of, some far more likely than others:

Hellblade team's next game
Playground's RPG (Fable 4 probably)
New Obsidian game from 3rd team
inXile's 2nd project
New Compulsion game (actually so hyped to see what's next for this studio)
"State of Decay 3" from Undead Labs
"Forza Motorsport 8" (or maybe something else? still probably Forza tho) from Turn 10
The Initiative's debut game
XGSGP titles we don't know about yet

Anything else you all can think of? The last few are very unlikely but still possibilities.

Do XGS dare drop a bombshell like Fable @ TGAs? Or save it for E3?

great times ahead.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Otherwise, structurally, nothing seems to have changed. "More structurally? No," Uruqhart said. More or less the same number of people work at Obsidian now - 185 people - and there are no plans to go above 200.

Microsoft didn't, for instance, "fire the chaff at the top". The co-owners, "they're all still around", Urquhart told me. No one has taken the money and run. Chris Parker, for instance - director of Alpha Protocol - is now making a new game, presumably in charge of it.

Gone is the anxious volatility of independence, replaced by a safety net of Microsoft ownership and support, plus a burgeoning family of Microsoft Studios to lean on. Adam Brennecke had just been visiting some of them - Rare (Sea of Thieves) and Playground Games (Forza Horizon). "Not only at Obsidian are there multiple teams," he said, "but multiple teams across the world we'll be able to communicate with and share ideas and bounce things off of."

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTveV4Yfh2I

@1:59:11

"Frankly when we look forward, and we're looking at the shows to come, I can't see a show where we won't be announcing new first party games. There's just so much in development and there's so few shows that I think this should just be something that we should get used to" - The legend himself, Phil Spencer, at X019.

Hype.

So what will XGS announce at The Game Awards?

These are the possibilities I could think of, some far more likely than others:

Hellblade team's next game
Playground's RPG (Fable 4 probably)
New Obsidian game from 3rd team
inXile's 2nd project
New Compulsion game (actually so hyped to see what's next for this studio)
"State of Decay 3" from Undead Labs
"Forza Motorsport 8" (or maybe something else? still probably Forza tho) from Turn 10
The Initiative's debut game
XGSGP titles we don't know about yet

Anything else you all can think of? The last few are very unlikely but still possibilities.

Do XGS dare drop a bombshell like Fable @ TGAs? Or save it for E3?

Gears Tactics hopefully. Did miss it at Inside Xbox to be honest.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
inXile Entertainment being given centre stage to close the show was a very cool move by Microsoft. Over a year ago I bet Brian Fargo when weighing up the future of the studio could never have pictured this moment.

It might not have been the end of the show people were looking for but it shows Microsoft cares about their studios regardless of size or stature. If there are to ever be future acquisitions I am sure moments like this will have warmed many to the prospect of being a part of Xbox Game Studios.

so cool

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft didn't, for instance, "fire the chaff at the top". The co-owners, "they're all still around", Urquhart told me. No one has taken the money and run. Chris Parker, for instance - director of Alpha Protocol - is now making a new game, presumably in charge of it.

Chris Parker, for instance - director of Alpha Protocol - is now making a new game, presumably in charge of it.

Chris Parker, director of Alpha Protocol - is now making a new game

Chris Parker, Alpha Protocol - making a new game

200.gif

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Chris Parker, for instance - director of Alpha Protocol - is now making a new game, presumably in charge of it.

Chris Parker, director of Alpha Protocol - is now making a new game

Chris Parker, Alpha Protocol - making a new game

200.gif

ONI Protocol.....

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
Do you guys think we will see a spike in game pass deals next year because of how packed it will be in general?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.