• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you Steelyuhas and VeePs

I just thought it was odd that every other studio listed in the image is 1st party and then Forgotten Empires is there but not World's Edge or Age of Empires studio listed.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
catching the eye !! Casual Gamers doesn't give a damn shit about small games they want mature AAA Games and most of those are Console Gamers so this strategy won't work coz it's not appealling

Focusing on AAA games when they have to be readily available day one on Game Pass would lead to insurmountable losses for their first party.

And its not just about the casual gamers, its about gaining the attention of markets where Xbox is barely alive and releases that peak the interest of PC gamers too.

They're not trying to relive the Xbox 360 golden days, they are trying to make Xbox a sustainable brand after everything they have endured.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Focusing on AAA games when they have to be readily available day one on Game Pass would lead to insurmountable losses for their first party.

And its not just about the casual gamers, its about gaining the attention of markets where Xbox is barely alive and releases that peak the interest of PC gamers too.

They're not trying to relive the Xbox 360 golden days, they are trying to make Xbox a sustainable brand after everything they have endured.
there is nothing Wrong Focusing on Both but 1P studio need to Focus on AAA games Xbox can deal with 2/3P for Small Games....

i want AAA experience too

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
there is nothing Wrong Focusing on Both but 1P studio need to Focus on AAA games Xbox can deal with 2/3P for Small Games....

Game Pass needs AA titles though. It needs smaller content to keep players on board between mega games. Now of course it needs AAA tentpoles too, that is just as vital. I imagine that will be Halo, Obsidian RPGs, Gears, Forza, Fable, Initiative game etc. Maybe add Everwild to that depending on what it actually is.

Sure Game Pass can get small third party games on board (like say Void Bastards or Outer Wilds or Ashen) but unless they commission those games they can't rely on them. If they have their own smaller games being developed by XGS teams (and I mean Grounded for example is 13 people) then they know they have content in the pipeline. They aren't reliant on external sources for that.

august

Dec 24, 2018

No, first party does not NEED to focus on AAA only. You are obviously going to get both AAA (343, Coalition, Rare, Playground, Initiative, Compulsion, Obsidian...) and smaller titles (Double Fine, Ninja Theory...) Not to mention most of these studios have multiple teams and also the publishing department as well.

TLDR; Both AAA and AA games are coming. As well as new IP

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Like I've said all along, two separate programs

"Xbox Console Streaming (Preview)requires an Xbox One console with games installed, either owned games or Xbox Game Pass titles for Xbox Game Pass members. Players using Xbox Console Streaming (Preview) can stream Xbox One games installed on their console to their mobile device.

Project xCloud (Preview) streams games directly from the cloud to a player's mobile device and does not require an Xbox console. Players can quickly stream Xbox favorites such as Gears 5 and Sea of Thieves - no downloads required."
Is this clear enough?
EUGvsJm.png

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Game Pass needs AA titles though. It needs smaller content to keep players on board between mega games. Now of course it needs AAA tentpoles too, that is just as vital. I imagine that will be Halo, Obsidian RPGs, Gears, Forza, Fable, Initiative game etc. Maybe add Everwild to that depending on what it actually is.

Sure Game Pass can get small third party games on board (like say Void Bastards or Outer Wilds or Ashen) but unless they commission those games they can't rely on them. If they have their own smaller games being developed by XGS teams (and I mean Grounded for example is 13 people) then they know they have content in the pipeline. They aren't reliant on external sources for that.
but they have make deals with 2P (owing tge Ips) or they will to heavily expand the studios to make both

we don't need a rush games or incomplate ones like SOT and now Grounded or technical problems like Sod2 and Gears 5

No, first party does not NEED to focus on AAA only. You are obviously going to get both AAA (343, Coalition, Rare, Playground, Initiative, Compulsion, Obsidian...) and smaller titles (Double Fine, Ninja Theory...) Not to mention most of these studios have multiple teams and also the publishing department as well.

TLDR; Both AAA and AA games are coming. As well as new IP
i want games i want new ips with Halo , forza and Gears budgets but some people want Smaller games coz big Games is only Playsation can do!!

but we will see in e3 2020

I am waiting for one game to set the world on fire from MS. Something With top notch quality like RDR2, W3.
you won't see it

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

They are, most the games they get on Game Pass are indies and AA games. But Xbox Game Studios is its own thing and they need to have projects that are profitable. Having them make mostly AAA games that take 3-4 years and release day one on a subscription service just isn't possible.

I'm just telling you ahead of time, they will be announcing a lot of games and most of them are not going to be AAA. It could change deeper into next gen if they get an immense amount of subscribers, but just enjoy Xbox for what it has become.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
They are, most the games they get on Game Pass are indies and AA games. But Xbox Game Studios is its own thing and they need to have projects that are profitable. Having them make mostly AAA games that take 3-4 years and release day one on a subscription service just isn't possible.

I'm just telling you ahead of time, they will be announcing a lot of games and most of them are not going to be AAA. It could change deeper into next gen if they get an immense amount of subscribers, but just enjoy Xbox for what it has become.
what a wast buy RPG studios and make them made indie games!!

but if that happen then i'll leave the Xbox economy...since i don't play indie (not my type of games)

which is really sad coz i really like Xbox and their big Games

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
What is with the weird narrative spinning going on, MS have plenty of AAA studios/teams alongside a host of other smaller teams. That's a strength, I don't know how that can be spun into a weakness/issue. You got three new IP announced today, a new big project (EverWild), a medium sized project (Tell Me Why) and a small scale project (Grounded.) All completely different, alongside previously announced big (AOE4, MFS), medium (W3) and small (BE, MD) XGS games. You have 10 (11 really) teams that focus on AAA development, 9 medium to small teams, XGS Global Publishing Group and a couple of studios with their own publishing groups (343, Coalition, Rare etc.) Sure more teams would be great, who would say no to that. But pretending like there is some imbalance or a lacking in a certain scale of development compared to their competitors is nonsense.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is with the weird narrative spinning going on, MS have plenty of AAA studios/teams alongside a host of other smaller teams. That's a strength, I don't know how that can be spun into a weakness/issue. You got three new IP announced today, a new big project (EverWild), a medium sized project (Tell Me Why) and a small scale project (Grounded.) All completely different, alongside previously announced big (AOE4, MFS), medium (W3) and small (BE, MD) XGS games. You have 10 (11 really) teams that focus on AAA development, 9 medium to small teams, XGS Global Publishing Group and a couple of studios with their own publishing groups (343, Coalition, Rare etc.) Sure more teams would be great, who would say no to that. But pretending like there is some imbalance or a lacking in a certain scale of development compared to competitors is nonsense.

The criticism is a lack of AAA mature single player games.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
but they have make deals with 2P (owing tge Ips) or they will to heavily expand the studios to make both

we don't need a rush games or incomplate ones like SOT and now Grounded or technical problems like Sod2 and Gears 5

i want games i want new ips with Halo , forza and Gears budgets but some people want Smaller games coz big Games is only Playsation can do!!

but we will see in e3 2020

you won't see it
I'm not even going to get into Sea of Thieves being a game designed to grow over time, or that Grounded was literally only announced today and you've decided it's going to be released incomplete.

They are already expanding their first party studios. Many of them have multiple teams. They can make massive AAA third person cinematic adventure games AND make off-brand, budget, adaptions of every one of Rick Moranis' movies.

Again, Grounded is being made with 13 people. Sure, that will increase before release, but in a studio of 200, that just released a big game, that's not many. There are plenty or people left to make Pillars of Skyrim.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You expect MS to throw the majority of its eggs in one basket?

No, but it would be nice to have 1-2 excellent games in that basket each year. It's a hugely popular type of game - not to mention the favorite of many here. I don't expect them to reach Sony calibre, but closer is what many hope for.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean XGS studios just released Gears and Outer Worlds?

Gears 5 had a good campaign but I did find it disappointing. The Outer Worlds looks amazing and I can't wait to play but it's multiplatform (PS4 & Switch too). I do think Microsoft is on the path toward improvement, but look at how bad 2017 & 2018 were in that regard. Then I look to 2020 and only see Halo Infinite. Hopefully more than that coming next year. Today's show certainly did nothing to generate excitement for AAA single player games in 2020.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
No, but it would be nice to have 1-2 excellent games in that basket each year. It's a hugely popular type of game - not to mention the favorite of many here. I don't expect Sony calibre, but closer is what many hope for.
Sony release 1-2 (3 maybe) of those a year and thats with them throwing the majority of their studios at them, how do you expect MS to achieve the same without copying that strategy. You are asking for them to reduce the amount of variety, to entertain one groups taste. How do you not see how detached from reality that is? You are already looking at 5-6 teams that will give you that sort of experience next gen.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony release 1-2 (3 maybe) of those a year and thats with them throwing the majority of their studios at them, how do you expect MS to achieve the same without copying that strategy. You are asking for them to reduce the amount of variety, to entertain one groups taste. How do you not see how detached from reality that is? You are already looking at 5-6 teams that will give you that sort of experience next gen.

I would personally love for them to cut back on some of those niche 'variety games' to deliver Sony-calibre AAA single player games that are considered some of the generation's defining experiences and also sell 10 million (+) copies.

I do think we'll see some major strides next gen. Fable RPG, Obsidian RPG, the new studio they opened to make a AAA blockbuster, etc. But it's just a damn long and unfortunate wait.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I would personally love for them to cut back on some of that niche variety to deliver Sony-calibre AAA single player games.

I do think we'll see some major strides next gen. Fable RPG, Obsidian RPG, the new studio they opened to make a AAA blockbuster, etc. But it's just a damn long and unfortunate wait.
Well at least you're honest about it I guess, but "Niche variety" 🤦 Xcom games, Forza, shared world, Minecraft/Diablo, zombies, AOE, MSF, survival are not "niche." At least we can agree the type of games you prefer will be more of a regular fixture next gen, than this gen.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, this was an incredible thing to witness in London. Tons of fantastic announcements, lots of cool Xbox swag, chance to meet a lot of cool people in the industry and effectively be part of the Inside Xbox show. Game Pass is becoming a behemoth, and the fact that nearly half of the shown and upcoming games for it are from Japan is showing a lot of commitment in that area too. Age Of Empires 4, Rare's and Obsidian's new games, Dontnod developing an exclusive game D1 on the pass, Yakuza... there's so damn much to unravel. Today I plan to be there all day if anyone wants to meet up. Yesterday I enjoyed the show and didn't try many games, today I will dive into them real hard.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would personally love for them to cut back on some of those niche 'variety games' to deliver Sony-calibre AAA single player games that are considered some of the generation's defining experiences and also sell 10 million (+) copies.

Imagine judging exclusives by units sold when PS4 has double the install base of Xbox One.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Love this new Microsoft. Gamepass and Xcloud news were awesome and finally people get those Japanese games on Xbox.

Game announcements were super lame for me. They all had that cartoony art style and just didn't hit at all. Crossfire X and Minecraft Dungeons were best things.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
No, but it would be nice to have 1-2 excellent games in that basket each year. It's a hugely popular type of game - not to mention the favorite of many here. I don't expect them to reach Sony calibre, but closer is what many hope for.
Judging by their 2019 releases, even Sony has trouble consistently reaching the caliber you're describing.

Give it time. The games we're currently seeing announced are small projects that have shorter dev cycles and therefore are the first to be shown from the new crop of studios.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
really impressed with today's show, and kind of shocked at how polarizing it seems to be here. i'm sure some are honest, i've got a few in mind i've got pegged as concern trolls, and some are just bad takes.

you will get plenty of AAA games going forward, but these things are going to take time to get moving. you have to understand that some of these games we're seeing now (like Bleeding Edge and Grounded) were in the works BEFORE joining XGS. therefore, Phil didn't show up with a check in hand and say "ok now, we want you, but ONLY if you make small-scale indie games or service based live games, THAT'S THE DEAL!" lol come on everyone, you all know this to be true. just think a little.

Phil also said in that closing interview that he doesn't see them going to another show before Scarlett and NOT have a new IP to talk about. meaning...connect the dots...think about it...

...meaning that the chance they show something for YOU increases as time marches on. and in the mean time we have variety, in both first party and third party additions to the Xbox library and the Game Pass lineup. i understand having preferences, but to just endlessly complain that Xbox isn't suiting your preferences, i'm just wondering if any of you have considered that maybe Xbox isn't for you??

I wasn't paying close enough attention on the forums pre Xbox One launch, were there many leaks on the launch line up?

I'm really curious to see if MS partners up for a bunch of launch exclusives again, or if they will rely on their new in-house studios

GamerGoinds

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly agree completely I think they should focus on making AAA games like God of War or Spider-man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and The Last of Us.. I really want a game like HZD. I love the caliber of Sony and the funny thing is Microsoft has so much more money than them yet hasn't had a new AAA game in ages. I miss the Microsoft that took risks with Mass Effect and Gears of War. I really want Microsoft to make the next Mass Effect. I honestly don't hate Microsoft at all been a huge supporter since the OG Xbox but it gets annoying hearing all the other platform fans say "Xbox has no games". Lastly, I just want Microsoft to go into next gen destroying the competition with AAA new IP's.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That show didn't appeal to me much at all.

New RARE IP looks like a multiplayer 'make your own fun' GaaS like Sea of Thieves which is probably my least favorite type of game.

Obsidian new IP looks like a survival co-op game, which does not interest me.

Dontnod's new IP looks good. Definitely intrigued by that one.

The Game Pass announcements for remainder of 2019 were very disappointing. I expected better.

Not much else really caught my attention or impressed me. Too many multiplayer focused and smaller/indie games for my tastes. AA and AAA single player games are where it's at.

It will be nice to play Halo Reach for the first time though.

tenor.gif

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I'll never not be irritated by the short-termism of some gamers.

They see X and immediately think X is all there is ever going to be ever again.

Also, even if Gears 5 wasn't your bag, it's so clearly going for the modern SP AAA kinda deal (but with co op too, oh noes, choices). Whether you liked it or not is irrelevant to that fact.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018

Also, even if Gears 5 wasn't your bag, it's so clearly going for the modern SP AAA kinda deal (but with co op too, oh noes, choices). Whether you liked it or not is irrelevant to that fact.
completely agree. nice to see some more push back against this wave of negative energy in here. we just had an epic x0! let's ride that hype at least a LITTLE while before it reverts back to doom and gloom lmao. we get that everywhere else enough already.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

What a terrible way of looking at the games industry.

It is great if a games sells 10 million plus copies, but that is not what should be the defining factor. What should define great games is their quality. Microsoft has the best exclusive shooters on console in Gears and Halo, they have the best racing games in Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport.

In Obsidian, they have a developer that has released a critically acclaimed game that seems to be doing great according to Private Division, and they have been expanding their teams to better tackle areas that they have lacked this generation.

What I see is some balance that you do not see in the other platforms in the first party space, and Microsoft does not get the benefit of really trying their best to diversify their offering.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at what they didnt show.....

Compulsion
Undead Labs
Playground FH
Playground RPG
343i Infinite
The Coalition Tactics
Double Fine
The Initiative
inXile other teams
Obsidian other teams
Ninja Theory other teams
Edit, I forgot Turn10 :D

Compare the end of the 360 lifecycle compared to the XB1's. I dont think Xbox Game Studios have ever been in a stronger position, ever.

All on Game Pass playable on dedicated hardware and xCloud, its fucking insane :)

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Compulsion
Undead Labs
Playground FH
Playground RPG
343i Infinite
The Coalition Tactics
Double Fine
The Initiative
inXile other teams
Obsidian other teams
Ninja Theory other teams

Compare the end of the 360 lifecycle compared to the XB1's. I dont think Xbox Game Studios have ever been in a stronger position, ever.

All on Game Pass playable on dedicated hardware and xCloud, its fucking insane :)
Dont forget new publishing titles also. They even mentioned it there is growth there also. Wich was also needed. And we even got one with Tell me why.
Think we see quite alot of those next gen.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018

Compulsion
Undead Labs
Playground FH
Playground RPG
343i Infinite
The Coalition Tactics
Double Fine
The Initiative
inXile other teams
Obsidian other teams
Ninja Theory other teams

good lord. they are so stacked. how anyone can deny it is incredible to me. look at that list. look at that talent.

Oct 27, 2017
The World

Yup. A game can be both AAA SP and have MP (like doesn't RDR2 or TLOU have both?).

Also, I keep repeating this - the new Studios Microsoft has are only 1-2 years old. It takes time to develop AAA games.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Not impressed by the show. I need some AAA, high quality goodness, not AA filler. As for Game Pass, after giving it a thought, the lineup is meh. No Control, no Wolfenstein: Youngblood, no RE2 etc.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
Not impressed by the show. I need some AAA, high quality goodness, not AA filler. As for Game Pass, after giving it a thought, the lineup is meh. No Control, no Wolfenstein: Youngblood, no RE2 etc.
now *that's* a fresh take.

again, it's unrealistic to expect all this so soon after they beefed up their studios and are gearing up for next gen. we gotta develop a little more patience, and a dash of optimism.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
My main learning about X019: for 2020 and beyond, XGS and Game Pass has too many games one could realistically play. lol

Its insane to see how many awesome stuff is coming. Its definitely going to be the platform I play the biggest number of new games in 2020, and I wont have spend any more money to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.