• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Hmm, maybe we'll see Mikolai Stoinski (confirmed composer for Age 4 and previously composer for Witcher 3) during that segment.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this looks awesome. Gameplay wise also

I should go back to We Happy Few at some point. I actually dig a bunch of things it does, but at launch it was a mess, buggy as hell.

Im very excited for the future of Compulsion under XGS, WHF has great immersive sim vibes and I hope they go all in that direction moving forward

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have tickets for Thursday and Friday. Feels like I'm in for a good time, bit of a shame I may not be able to try Minecraft Dungeons if that's the case? We'll see.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Honestly, the main reason I'm excited for X019 is because I am going there. I almost don't care what they announce at this point :D

RE acquisitions being used as show announcements, I'm completely ok with this. The audience at these things are going to be the mega-fans, and it gives them something to celebrate (especially after years of worrying about whether or not the division would continue). Personally, I'd like these segments a lot more if the studio leaders then came out for a chat (and had something new to announce at the same time), but that panel they did - was that Gamescom? - with Matt Booty, Major Nelson, Dom Mathews and Tim Schafer was really good. More like that, please!

EDIT
Feargus was there too, oops!

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I've heard a lot of positive stuff on the WHF dlc. Makes me hopeful for their next project to be critically way better than Contrast or WHF. They did nail the worldbuilding in WHF.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, the main reason I'm excited for X019 is because I am going there. I almost don't care what they announce at this point :D

RE acquisitions being used as show announcements, I'm completely ok with this. The audience at these things are going to be the mega-fans, and it gives them something to celebrate (especially after years of worrying about whether or not the division would continue). Personally, I'd like these segments a lot more if the studio leaders then came out for a chat (and had something new to announce at the same time), but that panel they did - was that Gamescom? - with Matt Booty, Major Nelson, Dom Mathews and Tim Schafer was really good. More like that, please!

EDIT Feargus was there too, oops!

I totally agree. I loved the way they hyped the acquisition announcements. MS realised that they had to make a big statement about the future of Xbox and their commitment to it. The moves MS have been consistently making the last 2/3 years meant that this weekend I went and bought an X via All Access. So basically I'm tied into Scarlett.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

EDIT Feargus was there too, oops!

I definitely agree with getting the team leaders on stage as well. The e32018 announcements felt like "we're hearing your feedback so here's future-proofing our first-party output via long term investment". The X0 was an addition to that. This year at E3, getting Tim on stage felt pretty much how I was hoping for it to be and the additional jokes from Tim like we can expect from DF felt right at home. A blog post IMO feels kind of out of place when you keep calling your first-party a "family". Of course, that's just me.

For this years X0, I don't expect any acquisitions but I'm sure that they're having their eye on a different studio that we'll see next year.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I totally agree. I loved the way they hyped the acquisition announcements. MS realised that they had to make a big statement about the future of Xbox and their commitment to it. The moves MS have been consistently making the last 2/3 years meant that this weekend I went and bought an X via All Access. So basically I'm tied into Scarlett.

I definitely agree with getting the team leaders on stage as well. The e32018 announcements felt like "we're hearing your feedback so here's future-proofing our first-party output via long term investment". The X0 was an addition to that. This year at E3, getting Tim on stage felt pretty much how I was hoping for it to be and the additional jokes from Tim like we can expect from DF felt right at home. A blog post IMO feels kind of out of place when you keep calling your first-party a "family". Of course, that's just me.

For this years X0, I don't expect any acquisitions but I'm sure that they're having their eye on a different studio that we'll see next year.

Agree with both of these, and that announcing acquisitions via blog post/tweet/press release feels a little dispassionate given how much we've seen these studios getting together &etc in the months since. They do feel like members of one big team, almost.

And yes, these moves were very much, "we hear you, we're taking this thing seriously now, we promise!" - which is why I touched on fans previously wondering about the future of the Xbox division given a few years of contraction, cancellations and closures. They needed to come out big and demonstrate commitment, and they have.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So after beating Outer Worlds I don't know if the game needs a sequel. Or at least not a direct sequel in the sense that Obsidian could make a completely diff space game and call it outer worlds 2

but imo it's not like an elder scrolls situation where there's tons of lore and diff stories to tell. This felt like a contained world and story that was told. I do wonder what Obsidian will do(aside from the other rumored stuff)
I think they alluded to the fact in interviews that the game only takes place in one colony and solar system but there are hundreds of other colonies in the galaxy that all have different cultures etc. The others are not necessarily run by corporations. so that allows them to go in any direction for a sequel.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spending that much money only makes sense if Zenimax continues to operate as a 3rd party developer, otherwise it'd be impossible to recoup what it'd take to buy them....
I don't think they are going to buy them, but it's not even remotely true that they would need to remain 3rd party to make money back if they did. It would be a long term strategic aquisition. I can only see it happening if there is a strong desire from the owners to sell and there is a risk of someone like google buying them.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they are going to buy them, but it's not even remotely true that they would need to remain 3rd party to make money back if they did. It would be a long term strategic aquisition. I can only see it happening if there is a strong desire from the owners to sell and there is a risk of someone like google buying them.

With the strategy that Microsoft wants Game Pass on everything, they definitely wouldn't have to have Zenimax remain third party. If anything, it would convince other companies to allow Game Pass on their platform.

Minecraft is just different cause it's a platform, not just a game.

With that said, it 99.9% won't happen.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
There's one thing I really hope they greatly improve for Scarlett and that's the resume function. It's way too unreliable right now. Three or four days straight I've been able to resume Witcher 3 while using instant on (obviously) and yesterday and today it just closes as soon as I press resume.

Why?

Apr 6, 2018
Hard to split it because some of those 80 did other things too (usually the case in multiteam studios with some doing some work for other projects). I'd say there's probably about 50 on Parker's game right now and they'll keep hiring for that. Not sure if there's 2 or 3 smaller projects because one was definitely canceled this year (and I'm not sure if another was started or not), but on those I'd say there's 20 - 30.
I thought that they were more on that project, so they are really busy
Sawyer's project was started this year.
The other 3 project director's with updated info on LinkedIn are: Brennecke, Adler and Perez.
He doesn't talk as a man doing his project, for sure he is advicing and supporting, but from his twitter feed looks like he's still in the pitch phase

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019

Phineas Welles (scientist from The Outer Worlds btw), "No, I won't be there."

Is this hinting that Obsidian isn't showing Outer Worlds related content (like DLC) at X0, but since they're confirmed to be at the event, are we getting info on a new game from them? Is the rumored "survival RPG" likely to be shown based on this tease? Thoughts?

Also, could you imagine if new games from Obsidian, Ninja Theory (Hellblade team), and Rare are announced? Save Fable and a tease of The Initiative's game for E3 2020. Unlikely (though not impossible), but that would be hype.

The idea that Xbox needs to save everything for E3 doesn't make sense to me as Xbox has to have some unannounced games up their sleeve for Scarlett. They need big reveals that we don't even know we want yet. I'd hope they have some second party games in the works that will produce platform exclusives for them (similar to what Sony is doing with Bluepoint for PS5). Plus I'd imagine a significant portion of the E3 briefing will be showing off the console and specifics on it, so it's not going to be a "games, games, games" type briefing. Unless they hold an event showing off the console before E3.

Considering the large number of press members being flown out to London for X0, they've got to have some big announcements right? I'd expect 1-3 new XGS game announcements and hopefully an acquisition or two? (Asobo/RAD/White Owls if I had to guess).

Anyway, what is a realistic level of hype to have going into the event? And do you see Xbox holding everything for E3 or will they have some significant announcements at X0?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.