• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
WHY? Certain Affinity and Splash Damage should be more valuable to Xbox than Warframe.
Digital Extremes (Warframe) is a lot more profitable than Splash Damage. In Leyou's financials for the first six months of this year they reported assets worth ~$65 million in the UK (which I think is mostly Splash Damage) and ~$70 million in Canada (which I think is mostly Digital Extremes). Meanwhile ~$90 million of revenue was generated in Canada and ~$12 million was generated in the UK.

But I can see Splash Damage being acquired by MS regardless of who takes over Leyou. Splash Damage have a ton of experience working with XGS games, which is highly valuable for MS but much less valuable for another company.

Certain Affinity (valued at ~$50 million) seem more diversified, as they have one team working on Transformers for Leyou and another team working on a new IP (The Last Expedition).

The actual sales price would be much higher than the asset value of the studios itself though, especially for a studio who own a successful IP like Digital Extremes. At the start of the year Leyou was planning to sell 30% of Digital Extremes Canadian parent company for ~$350 million, which would value Digital Extremes at around ~$1 billion, although that deal never went through.

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
xgssmkwx.png

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
But my post did mention it!
It's not my fault you used the quantum asterisk. :p

I need to give it another shot. Barely played it. Flying the ship aggravated the shit out of me and I gave up quick.
Oh really? It took me a bit to get the hang of it, but it wasn't that hard for me after maybe 10-15 minutes. Still tricky for those really precise maneuvers, but a little bit of deliberate practice gets you the basics. At the very least, the pain of learning the controls is worth it when you understand why they have to be convoluted later on.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Anyone think The Outer Worlds 2 is coming to Sony's platform?
Probably not. BenjiSales said that TOW on PS4 significantly outsold the game on Xbox One, but that's more due to Game Pass than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if more played on Xbox once GP is taken into account.

Also, Booty said he thinks Outer Worlds has the potential to be a pillar Microsoft franchise with Forza, Halo, Gears and (when it gets resurrected) Fable.

EDIT: This response is also likely what MS wants and they hope the same for Psychonauts 2 and Wasteland 3. Being honest, if I had a PS4, I would probably buy into a Scarlett for Outer Worlds. The reason I got an Xbox One last year in the first place was GamePass and the not so secret Obsidian reports. I didn't want to miss out on some of my favorite devs.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017

Looking very exciting for the games to come in the next few years.
Picking one studio by each horizontal row I'd go...

Rare: More SoT content and a new ip is very exciting.

343i: Cant wait for more Halo infinite and to see how they finish off MCC

Playground games: New FH and the other game they've been working has got me hyped up.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Imagine Coalition making the mainline games a mix between turn-based strategy games and third-person action combat.

I wouldn't be mad. On paper, it actually sounds quite cool and kinda fits with the new encounter design they used in Gears 5. If you didn't feel the difference, the AI doesn't really flank you that often when going into the obvious looking arena but instead you see the enemies already being in the area very similar to Halo games. Gears Tactics seems to be their experiment with the strategy genre and it's funny but this game should've been made a decade ago honestly. The cover-based gameplay is a core element to the Gears DNA and you can't really go away from that.

2024-gears-tactics-screenshot-1-1528787756.jpg

I'm really curious where Coalition is bringing the series into and they pretty much nailed the direction in Gears 5 with an emphasis on characters and a more personal story, unlike past titles. The thing I like the most is how they're able to blend old and new into something that just makes me super excited as a fan of the series. Bringing people like Clayton and Paduk back and adding new characters that still fit the Gears-like universe (Fahz in particular).

Art direction has been talked about prominently but it can't be understated how gorgeous the art direction for this game was. It's again the perfect blend between old and new. Destroyed beauty, dank old labs and that mixed with the sense of exploration via the new areas such as Vasgar. It's funny when you think that some concept artists who have experience from working on Bioshock Infinite did help out on the game.

jamie-mcnulty-sandow-02.png

jamie-mcnulty-iceow01.png

greg-danton-gears-45.png

I know some will feel the opposite but I really don't care where this franchise is heading as long as we're seeing new stuff in a universe that's just so exciting. From the looks of it, we are far from done with Gears and that rocks.

Also, I bought the Jack-o-Lantern skins in Gears 5. No regrets!

I couldn't agree with you more. They need to be sure to keep McNulty and Danton here because their imagery came through spectacularly in Gears 5 and these concept images are damn gorgeous. I'm hoping for a much more grand and bigger Gears 6.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I was looking through the credits of Gears 5 and was surprised by how many contractors worked on it. For example, Jamie McNulty is working for The Coalition, but Greg Danton is listed as working for Mighty Canvas. Seems like their leads / directors are mostly working for The Coalition (with a few exceptions) but most artists and animators are contractors. I guess it's logical for a studio that is mostly working on a single franchise which might want to flexibly scale up/down.

Also I wasn't aware that Behaviour Interactive worked on the game too. https://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox-one/gears-5/credits

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
The Outer Worlds at #4 in the Uk Charts and still 22% sales on Xbox despite having it available on gamepass is not too bad actually.

The CoD split is a good comparison to get an idea of the gamepass impact there we have 38% sales on Xbox.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
The Outer Worlds at #4 in the Uk Charts and still 22% sales on Xbox despite having it available on gamepass is not too bad actually.

The CoD split is a good comparison to get an idea of the gamepass impact there we have 38% sales on Xbox.
Uk isn't a good Comparsion anymore the Digital is not calculated is not included for Both platforms

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Anyone think The Outer Worlds 2 is coming to Sony's platform?

I think it has a 50:50 chance. Microsoft is kinda moving away from having exclusives to sell a box.
They released their games on Steam and Switch in this generation.

Why wouldn't they release the sequel of a multiplatform game on other platforms? Didn't Booty or Phil also say, it's up to the devs where they want to release their games? Don't know why Obsidian wouldn't want to release the game on a playstation system when they obviously have a lot of fans there who are buying TOW right now.

Though, all other Obsidian games will probably remain exclusive.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I know Obsidian will make a TOW2, but I really hope they make a third person RPG similar to the classic BioWare/KOTOR 2 days for Xbox.

if they made two major franchises - TOW (Bethesda style) and this type of RPG (BioWare style), with an isometric RPG franchise by Sawyer, that would be amazing. It'd be like Microsoft made a purchase of Bethesda and BioWare with one single purchase with Obsidian, except Obsidian has far better writing.

Man I would b sooo down for another KOTOR, but I sincerely doubt it will happen in the near future.
On the plus side a fully fledged Pillars of Eternity game has me super excited, would be Skyrim but with excellent writing.

Damn Klob, these posters are magnificent. To think its going to get bigger this time next year no doubt.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Same reasons why Minecraft is so valuable to MS, furthermore Leyou only have a 20% stake in CA so MS couldn't buy them even if they wanted to, and Splash Damage stopped working on their original IP's and switched to be a support studio.

Theoretically MS could buy the stake in CA and the option they have for the rest of the studio, I dont think that is an unlikely scenario if they were to be looking to get them, but unfortunately I suspect the entire lot will end up with Tencent or some other lame company.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Regardless of the nonsense/hot air surrounding the true 1st party nature of this game, you can tell that the new studios have injected a higher degree of positivity around Xbox generally. It must be a much more positive place to work at the moment. The marketing people will find it much easier promoting a game that is genuinely good/great. Everyone seems to be having a great time.

I do think we'll be coming to the end of the "acquisition phase" soon. In all likelihood if they get to a place of satisfaction, even if they remain open to future purchases, it would be beneficial for Xbox to publicly announce something like:

"We'll always be open to an opportunity when it makes sense, but at this stage we feel like we have reached a point where we are happy with what we have. With that in mind we'll be focusing on showing you what our studios are working on in future, so don't expect acquisition announcements at each E3 or XO going forwards". Otherwise every event where there are no announcements, people are going to be disappointing.

They have well over 20 discreet teams working on games around the clock now. At a cadence of around 3 years per game, that's going to be 7 Xbox studios games a year. That is fantastic output. That is event taking in consideration the fat that some games e.g. halo Infinite, will take longer.

343 - One "main" team - side projects bringing in outside studio support
Coalition - One "main" team - side projects bringing in outside studio support
Turn 10 - One team
Playground - Two teams
Ninja Theory - Two teams
Obsidian - three/four teams
InExile - 2 teams
Rare- 2 teams
Mojang- 1 team
Double fine- 2 teams
Undead labs- 1 team
The Initiative- 1 team
Compulsion -1 team
Age of empire studio- 1 team

Add to that the extra stuff brought in from Global Publishing...that's at least 1 game a year.

That's about 22/23 teams minimum working full-time for Xbox Studios, as we speak.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
It seems like it's been a little murky but are we expecting acquisition announcements at XO19, or are they going to come out when they are announced just as they happen?

Aug 23, 2018
The acquisitions (as press conference announcements)will probably end by Next E3 with the Scarlett reveal. I see them adding 2 more studios in the next year, tops. One of them being a Japanese studio that likely isn't happening until next year. I think that would make a nice E3 announcement along with a Scarlett reveal that hopefully has 1-2 other Global Publishing titles from other Japanese devs (Capcom?).

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Regardless of the nonsense/hot air surrounding the true 1st party nature of this game, you can tell that the new studios have injected a higher degree of positivity around Xbox generally. It must be a much more positive place to work at the moment. The marketing people will find it much easier promoting a game that is genuinely good/great. Everyone seems to be having a great time.

I do think we'll be coming to the end of the "acquisition phase" soon. In all likelihood if they get to a place of satisfaction, even if they remain open to future purchases, it would be beneficial for Xbox to publicly announce something like:

"We'll always be open to an opportunity when it makes sense, but at this stage we feel like we have reached a point where we are happy with what we have. With that in mind we'll be focusing on showing you what our studios are working on in future, so don't expect acquisition announcements at each E3 or XO going forwards". Otherwise every event where there are no announcements, people are going to be disappointing.

They have well over 20 discreet teams working on games around the clock now. At a cadence of around 3 years per game, that's going to be 7 Xbox studios games a year. That is fantastic output. That is event taking in consideration the fat that some games e.g. halo Infinite, will take longer.

343 - One "main" team - side projects bringing in outside studio support
Coalition - One "main" team - side projects bringing in outside studio support
Turn 10 - One team
Playground - Two teams
Ninja Theory - Two teams
Obsidian - three/four teams
InExile - 2 teams
Rare- 2 teams
Mojang- 1 team
Double fine- 2 teams
Undead labs- 1 team
The Initiative- 1 team
Compulsion -1 team
Age of empire studio- 1 team

Add to that the extra stuff brought in from Global Publishing...that's at least 1 game a year.

That's about 22/23 teams minimum working full-time for Xbox Studios, as we speak.

yeah such an exciting next-gen incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.